PDA

View Full Version : Kelly with Plantar fasciitis

ZagNative
07-29-2013, 07:26 AM
From MassLive.com (http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/07/kelly_olynyk_injury_boston_cel.html).
Boston Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk hasn't played a game in the NBA yet, but already he's faced his first professional setback.

According to Toronto Raptors radio broadcaster Eric Smith, Olynyk won't play for the Canadian national team this summer because of plantar fasciitis. The condition, common among athletes, causes pain in the sole of a foot and generally requires rest to heal. Without proper rest, some cases of plantar fasciitis can last months.
Olynyk is still expected in attendance this week to watch the Canadian national team's training camp, held to prepare the team for a world championship qualification tournament in Caracas at the end of August. The 7-footer has played for the senior men's national team before, averaging 8.2 points and 2.2 rebounds per game in the 2010 world championships prior to emerging as a star at Gonzaga.
Obviously, the Celtics won't be happy that their lottery pick -- who looked so good at the Orlando Summer League -- faces an injury that could curb his growth as he prepares for his rookie season. But better now than during the season, probably, and it's best he gets his rest now, as it looks like he plans to do.

sanders
07-29-2013, 08:51 AM
That's too bad. Hopefully it heals quickly.

Pangos and Sacre won't be in Canada's training camp either, so there won't be any Zags on the senior team this summer.

HenneZag
07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Sucks. I have it, probably some of the worst pain I have experienced even worse then when I broke my jaw on certain days. The pain is sometimes unbearable when I first wake up in the morning. Cortisone shot last week, hopefully it kicks in soon.

I know what KO is going through, but im sure he has the best to help him through the process, a lot of stretching and foot torqueing.

ZagNative
07-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Tweet from Boston Globe's Celtics beat writer:
Baxter Holmes ‏@BaxterHolmes 9m

Source on Kelly Olynyk's plantar fasciitis: "Nothing too serious, but he just needs to rest and recover."

Worthington
07-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Big hit to the Canadian national team. I don't know how the rest of the Canadians on the board feel, but in my opinion Kelly might have been the most valuable player on the team this year. Don't think anyone else on the roster can score as efficiently as him.

Hope the recovery goes well for him and doesn't turn into a nagging issue

JPtheBeasta
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
In addition to the aforementioned cortisone injection, a splint or pre-fabricated walking boot can be used to limit flexion of the forefoot and ankle, so if reports of that come out, the sky isn't falling. Rest, rest, rest is the key. This is usually painful but self-limiting. The fascia works as sort of a shock absorber in the arch of the foot, so it can be aggrevated by running and jumping, or poorly fitting shoes. He probably just wants to be full strength for the start of the NBA season. Once he gets on top of it and gets the proper shoe wear/insoles/orthotics he should be fine.

ZaGranny
07-30-2013, 02:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boston-celtics-worried-kelly-olynyks-injury-210700535.html

COMMENTARY | After an impressive season at Gonzaga, Kelly Olynyk was drafted in the first round by the Boston Celtics. His unbelievably efficient offensive game and energy attracted the team to the 7-footer, and it appears as if he could step in and get immediate minutes with this rebuilding squad.
As long as he's healthy, that is.
According to a report, Olynyk is suffering from plantar fasciitis, an extremely painful injury around the sole of the foot. This is the same injury that hampered Pau Gasol for much of last season. Although he is a great player, it was clear that Gasol was struggling just to stay on the court and remain somewhat productive through all of the pain.
So, how big of a deal is this for the Celtics?
Considering the fact that it's still only the summer, Celtics fans shouldn't get too worked up. He has plenty of time to get the right treatment and get healthy for the upcoming season. As the above report states, Olynyk is sitting out of training camp with the Canadian Senior Men's National Team in an effort to get healthy. As long as he doesn't push the envelope to get back on the court, he should benefit from the NBA trainers and be just fine.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

Mojo13
07-31-2013, 05:55 AM
As a Canadian I am a little cheesed.
This seems like more of a convenient excuse to turn down Nat. team duties this summer. This is the first anyone has heard about the injury. Wasn't he playing in summer scrimmages last week?
Anyways - I get that a 1st year player really needs to focus on starting his pro career and has a good case to turn down the Nat. team. I would respect Kelly more if he just did that (although I would still be upset). The injury seems like a lame excuse so not to piss people off. He is needed with this team, as we will struggle to score (with Bennett, Wiggins, Olynyk that will not be a problem). Maybe Cory Joseph and TT can run the pick and roll and Nicholson, English, Rautins, and Kris Joseph can knock down outside shots…

Sacre on the other hand just straight up turned down the Nat. team. This is less of a concern as Rob just isn’t that important to the team. Strange though as this may have been Rob's last chance with the Nat. team. Too many bigs are coming up and he will be hard pressed to make the team in coming years.

tobizag
07-31-2013, 06:28 AM
This seems like more of a convenient excuse to turn down Nat. team duties this summer. This is the first anyone has heard about the injury. Wasn't he playing in summer scrimmages last week?
Anyways - I get that a 1st year player really needs to focus on starting his pro career and has a good case to turn down the Nat. team. I would respect Kelly more if he just did that (although I would still be upset). The injury seems like a lame excuse so not to piss people off. He is needed with this team, as we will struggle to score (with Bennett, Wiggins, Olynyk that will not be a problem). Maybe Cory Joseph and TT can run the pick and roll and Nicholson, English, Rautins, and Kris Joseph can knock down outside shots…

Sacre on the other hand just straight up turned down the Nat. team. This is less of a concern as Rob just isn’t that important to the team. Strange though as this may have been Rob's last chance with the Nat. team. Too many bigs are coming up and he will be hard pressed to make the team in coming years.

stupidity. "he was just playing last week and now he says he cant?" congratulations, you now understand what an injury is. amazing.

DixieZag
07-31-2013, 07:17 AM
stupidity. "he was just playing last week and now he says he cant?" congratulations, you now understand what an injury is. amazing.

99% chance that it is exactly that, an injury. Kelly IS the type of player that if he felt he needed to develop his pro career by taking time off the national team he is he most certainly would have come right out and said that.

Mentioning it is only ok b/c of the fact that many other players have done just that, fake an injury and stay off the team, not ok to suspect Kelly would suddenly do something so out of character.

gamagin
07-31-2013, 08:11 AM

Check out the injury. My son had it and it can linger for months UNLESS the sufferer gets a lot of rest.

re Sacre (& Kelly): I think both these guys have given as much as they've gotten to the summer leagues and Canadian teams & programs over the years.

At some point, they need to take care of themselves. RS isn't so secure in the NBA that he can risk injury. Why would he push it at this point ?

If they were not in this situationk and were healthy and goofing around, with full guarantees, and thumbing their noses, etc., I could begin to see your point about becoming no shows. As it is, I agree with their choices. fwiw.

Mojo13
07-31-2013, 08:16 AM

Oh sorry there Doc. Thanks for clearing it up. I always thought plantars was a degenerative "condition" that occurs over time. Not the same as an injury which i think of as the result of a one time traumatic event. You usually hear of plantars for awhile before it becomes severe enough to prevent activity. Sort of like tendinitis.
But I am not a medical professional so please excuse my stupidity.

Is there a real doctor in the house?

MDABE80
07-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Yes......Kelly will need lots of staying off the foot. Steroids and stretching..........and REST. This sin't a plantar wart..those are bad enough. Nope this is far worse. I'm sure Kelly would go if he could. One thing though: he should be asked to jeopardize his NBA future. I wouldn't anyway. He's done quite a lot for Canadian basketball already.

Angelo Roncalli
07-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Oh sorry there Doc. Thanks for clearing it up. I always thought plantars was a degenerative "condition" that occurs over time. Not the same as an injury which i think of as the result of a one time traumatic event. You usually hear of plantars for awhile before it becomes severe enough to prevent activity. Sort of like tendinitis.
But I am not a medical professional so please excuse my stupidity.

Is there a real doctor in the house?

I'm not a doctor (of medicine, anyway), but I have suffered from plantar fasciitis for over 33 years. It is not degenerative, but it can often be chronic. It is a use injury. It comes on slowly, a nagging pain to begin with, then it gets and worse with use, especially with repeated impact (miles running on asphalt roads or the pounding the bottom of the foot takes from running and jumping on a basketball court). My doctor told me that basketball players runs close to a 10K during a 40 minute game of hoops. I developed it while training to run a marathon. Rest works. Ice works. Anti-inflammatories (steroids) work. Orthotics for me were lifesavers, I've worn them since. The most important thing is to rest the foot and recover by reducing the inflammation, then use modalities like orthotics and heal lifts. Treatment from a good podiatrist and PT can do wonders.

webspinnre
07-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Not even remotely close to a doctor, but it sounds an awful lot like a bottom of the foot version of terrible shin splints. I've only had them a couple of times, and thankfully mild, but it can certainly be totally debilitating if not treated properly.

MDABE80
07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
OK...let's have the pros explain it....with a picture even. I've had it come and go for 10 years...and believe me, me and Hondo don't exactly exercise i.e. 10 K runs.

The fascia basically hold things in place. Long connective issue. Get's inflammed mostly from over use.........but no tin every one. Anyway, have a look. It'll clarify some things for the board.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508

JPtheBeasta
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Since FasciaGate is reaching epic proportions here, and to further corroborate MDABE's (and others' posts); the exerpt is from an article by UpToDate, which is essentially WebMD for healthcare providers (written by experts and based on peer reviewed medical research and clinical experience):

PLANTAR FASCIITIS — The predominant symptom of plantar fasciitis is pain in the plantar region of the foot that is worse when initiating walking. Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of foot pain in adults, estimated to be responsible for about one million patient visits to the doctor per year in the United States [1]. The peak incidence occurs between ages 40 and 60 years in the general population, with a younger peak in runners [2,3]. It may be bilateral in up to one-third of cases [2,4,5].

Heel spurs often coexist [6,7]; whether they have a causal role is unknown. They may represent a secondary response to an inflammatory reaction [2].

Anatomy — The deep plantar fascia (plantar aponeurosis) is a thick, pearly white tissue with longitudinal fibers intimately attached to the skin (figure 1). The central portion is thickest and attaches to the medial process of the tuberosity of the calcaneus; distally, it divides into five slips, one for each toe. The plantar fascia provides support; as the toes extend during the stance phase of gait, it is tightened by a windlass mechanism, resulting in elevation of the longitudinal arch, in inversion of the hindfoot, and in a resultant external rotation of the leg [8].

Etiology — The etiology is poorly understood and is probably multifactorial. Possible risk factors for the development of plantar fasciitis include obesity, prolonged standing or jumping, flat feet, reduced ankle dorsiflexion, and heel spurs [3,5,7,9-11]. There is a high incidence in runners, suggesting that plantar fasciitis, at least in this population, is due to an injury caused by repetitive microtrauma [12]. In this group, the following have been proposed as risk factors [13-16]:

◾Excessive training (particularly a sudden increase in the distance run)
◾Faulty running shoes
◾Running on unyielding surfaces
◾Flat feet (pes planus or pronated ankles)
◾Limited ankle dorsiflexion (eg, due to a shortened Achilles tendon)
◾Pes cavus (high-arched) foot

However, evidence of an association for most of these factors is limited or absent [14].

Plantar fasciitis is common among ballet dancers [17] and among those performing dance aerobic exercise. Stress applied to the Achilles tendon, due either to muscle contraction or to passive stretching, results in increased tension in the plantar fascia [18]. Decreased knee extension, as may occur with tight hamstring muscles, causes an increase in loading of the forefoot when walking [19]; this could, in turn, increase the stress on the plantar fascia.
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/plantar-fasciitis-and-other-causes-of-heel-pain?detectedLanguage=en&source=search_result&search=plantar+fasciitis&selectedTitle=1%7E18&provider=noProvider

If you think of the plantar fascia as a sort of shock absorber for your feet, you can imagine that someone of Kelly's ilk could experience this problem.

jazzdelmar
07-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm not a doctor (of medicine, anyway), but I have suffered from plantar fasciitis for over 33 years. It is not degenerative, but it can often be chronic. It is a use injury. It comes on slowly, a nagging pain to begin with, then it gets and worse with use, especially with repeated impact (miles running on asphalt roads or the pounding the bottom of the foot takes from running and jumping on a basketball court). My doctor told me that basketball players runs close to a 10K during a 40 minute game of hoops. I developed it while training to run a marathon. Rest works. Ice works. Anti-inflammatories (steroids) work. Orthotics for me were lifesavers, I've worn them since. The most important thing is to rest the foot and recover by reducing the inflammation, then use modalities like orthotics and heal lifts. Treatment from a good podiatrist and PT can do wonders.

But I'm thinking that completing THE NEW YORK CITY MARATHON was worth every painful footfall.

DixieZag
07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
I was once told by a PT when I asked him "what injury would you least like to have" and he said "anything involving the foot, whether it is planters, broken heel bone, torn achillies - - all of them are hard to treat and not real responsive to quick fixes and they all are about as painful a rehab as possible."

Sounded quite reasonable to me and I have cringed when hearing about foot injuries ever since.