PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Article - Kelly O in Early Rookie of the Year Discussion

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-28-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm not an insider and can't open it, but...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9508598/rookie-watch-summer-league-observations

bigblahla
07-28-2013, 05:55 AM
I'm not an insider and can't open it, but...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9508598/rookie-watch-summer-league-observations

Kelly Olynyk, Boston Celtics
He has a beautiful shot. He has a feel for passing. He plays with energy. And he knows how to use his shot-making as a weapon to fake faster guys into getting out of position, creating driving opportunities for himself. Who can't use a big man like that? Add in his work on the defensive end and the glass and Olynyk delivered one of the top two or three summer efforts in this class.

Thanks to the big Celtics-Nets trade, Olynyk also enters the fall as a leading rookie of the year contender -- he's going to put up numbers in ample minutes. He's not Larry Bird, of course, but he does make plays that require some of Bird's gifts -- feel, vision and skill.

That's all on KO.

Go!! Zags!!!

MickMick
07-28-2013, 09:27 AM
as a potential "ceiling".

Bird didn't jump out of the gym, but he was the consummate "in the right place, at the right time" player. Intelligence and "feel" can compensate. Sometimes dramatically so.

I still can't understand how Samhan or Heytvelt couldn't find a spot.

MDABE80
07-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Bird didn't jump out of the gym, but he was the consummate "in the right place, at the right time" player. Intelligence and "feel" can compensate. Sometimes dramatically so.

I watched Josh in the Summer league. He watched a lot. NO energy. He played like he did in the final UConn game.
Samhan................never will he see the NBA.......doesn't have the game for it. Whatta character though!!

DixieZag
07-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Sincere question.

Were you around to see Bird and Magic come up through college? I just missed it and I am wondering if they both dominated as much as history seems to tell us. It would seem that they did so more than Kelly at the college level, though that doesn't mean there is a ceiling he couldn't reach.

Both played with the same feel and intelligence, neither was a freak athlete, Bird perhaps shot a bit better, Magic perhaps ran the floor a bit better. . . just wondering - it's a good analogy.

LongIslandZagFan
07-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Sincere question.

Were you around to see Bird and Magic come up through college? I just missed it and I am wondering if they both dominated as much as history seems to tell us. It would seem that they did so more than Kelly at the college level, though that doesn't mean there is a ceiling he couldn't reach.

Both played with the same feel and intelligence, neither was a freak athlete, Bird perhaps shot a bit better, Magic perhaps ran the floor a bit better. . . just wondering - it's a good analogy.

I lived on the MSU campus when Magic was there... his mom was one of the lunch monitors at my middle school. I'd have to say... they were and still are in a class to themselves. Two of the most complete players ever to play the game. Bird, recently, was walking through a Pacer practice when a ball rolled out to him. He picked it up, shot a three pointer... nothing but net. He proceeded to rattle off 14 more in a row and he then just walked off like it was nothing. That should tell you what you need to know about Bird.

ZagNative
07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Alex Hernandez posted this pic from Heytvelt's wedding today (Congrats Josh!). How the $2-million-dollar man should dress for a summer wedding!
Dirty_Money ‏@aghernandez15 9h

Heytvelts wedding with good friends @KellyOlynyk @DoloDower @dstockton32

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iJ9Qm7pbNiI/UfW23NAKRuI/AAAAAAABhms/Bk8LGaa--TI/s512/2013-07-029.jpg

MickMick
07-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Sincere question.

Magic could have been an all star at every position. He looked athletic enough to me. Great, great court vision.

Honestly, Bird isn't a fair comparison and saying he was a possible ceiling for KO was a big, big reach. I do, however, believe that Kevin McHale is within reach. I was just attempting to emphasize that KO has enough feel for the game to compensate for a lot of things.

DixieZag
07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
That is a great story LIZF! I have always had the utmost respect for both Larry and Magic - total class and mutual respect. In the ESPN documentary show, Magic said that when he received the HIV news, after he called his family and the Laker coach/owner/execs his next call "was to Larry" - that to me is amazing. The bond that these two formed over trying to beat each other is an example that should be mandatory viewing/reading to young athletes. They could hate losing to the other more than anything on earth and then appreciate each other off the court.

And thank you to MickMick - certainly didn't mean to imply Magic wasn't athletic, he most certainly was, he could and did play virtually every position at one time or another. I only meant that he was not the "most athletic" (like Jordan type) and got the job done with skills, smarts - the whole package. Not surprised that Bird could still shoot jumpers.

One thing that I think has gone under appreciated is the success both have had in their post career business wise. Larry's mostly in basketball management. Magic mostly in investment business ventures in the LA area in the AA community with theatres and other good entertainment stuff for the young to be young and not face the awful stuff many would without those places. Places most people were not willing to do business, didn't see the opportunity.

Interestingly Shaq has done much the same. He recently completed a PhD in business - "Dr. Shaq" as he says in his usual smiling way. He also has significant investments doing well and also marketing himself better than he did even while playing.

Sorry for the long post but these three are worth it, to me anyway.

GeorgiaZagFan
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Sincere question.

I call a 6'8" point guard with Magic's skills in 1979 a "freak athlete" LOL

maynard g krebs
07-28-2013, 10:34 PM
In 78/9, Bird averaged 29 pts, 14.8 rebounds, and 6 assists. The game was different and he wouldn't do that today, but nobody else did it back then either.

ZagsZombieNation
07-29-2013, 04:04 AM
I watched Josh in the Summer league. He watched a lot. NO energy. He played like he did in the final UConn game.
Samhan................never will he see the NBA.......doesn't have the game for it. Whatta character though!!

Heytvelt's draft stock was pretty high during his sophomore year before he ran into trouble. He was rebounding and shot blocking very well. And he outplayed Tyler Hansbrough at the Garden. Had he stayed out of trouble he probably could've been a first round draft pick in 2007. But kind of like Elias, he waited too long.

Once and Future Zag
07-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Heytvelt's draft stock was pretty high during his sophomore year before he ran into trouble. He was rebounding and shot blocking very well. And he outplayed Tyler Hansbrough at the Garden. Had he stayed out of trouble he probably could've been a first round draft pick in 2007. But kind of like Elias, he waited too long.

My take is that the coaching staff had him bulk up too much to shoehorn him into being a "traditional center" a la Sacre - and that killed his physical advantages.

titopoet
07-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Sincere question.

They were both amazing in college. Bird's last year at Indiana State was a great player with a guys that would not make GU practice squad (I am exaggerating a bit, but not by much). With his passing, shooting and rebounding he push them to an undefeated regular season and to the championship game. Bird as a slightly above average athlete, but he probably had to top ten all time Basketball IQs. He read players' intentions before they knew them. Stepped into passing lanes, grabbing rebounds by being in the right spot. After making the championship, ISU went 16-11 the year after. 28.6 pts (before the 3 pt shot.) 14.9 reb, 5.4 assists , and 2.47 steals per game tells you his senior year has to be one of the greatest seasons by a college player ever.

The only blemish came against another top IQ guy, a 6'8" point guard who was a quick as any point guard in College.

titopoet
07-29-2013, 06:56 AM
In 78/9, Bird averaged 29 pts, 14.8 rebounds, and 6 assists. The game was different and he wouldn't do that today, but nobody else did it back then either.

A young Bird would definitely do that again with the same type of team, maybe more points (he did that before the 3 pt shot, as much range as he had, scary.) He had a Basketball IQ that few have ever had.

maynard g krebs
07-29-2013, 12:58 PM
A young Bird would definitely do that again with the same type of team, maybe more points (he did that before the 3 pt shot, as much range as he had, scary.) He had a Basketball IQ that few have ever had.

It's a different game now. Everybody is all "bulked up", and much more "physical play", as they call it, is allowed inside. Grabbing, holding, bumping cutters, hand checking, etc. The way the rules used to be enforced, Maravich averaged like 44 one year, Johnny Neumann 38, Austin Carr 35. None of those guys would approach those scoring numbers today, 3 pt shot or not.