PDA

View Full Version : Harris a new Laker

zagapotomus
07-26-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/26/4561466/los-angeles-lakers-elias-harris-nba-free-agency-2013

MTZag03
07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Congrats Elias! So happy you made it. I'm glad you and Rob get some more playing time too.

Ekrub
07-26-2013, 04:21 PM
That is awesome. Congratulations to him. Hard worker and one of the greatest zags ever.

ZaGranny
07-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Congratulations, Elias!

Good job!

:allhail:

ZaGranny

ZagNative
07-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Wow! I couldn't be happier for Elias!

bartruff1
07-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Wow! I couldn't be happier for Elias!

Yes...that is very good news indeed...

Dogtownkid
07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
That's just great!

bigblahla
07-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Well deserved. E earned it by working hard and now he's got his chance to prove he belongs. Go E.

Go!! Zags!!!

Mantua
07-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I couldn't be happier for my favorite Zag! He had such a great attitude heading into summer.

buenaparkzag
07-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Congrats to Elias!!! Great news.

Oregonzagnut
07-26-2013, 05:13 PM
WOW!!! We LOVE YOU Elias! And a 2 year contract! Longer than Sacre.

I am so glad it was NOT a mistake to come back to Gonzaga his sophomore yr.

Harris will only continue to improve and hone in those skills.

Worthington
07-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Best news I've heard all day! I think he can make it in the league, he's a bulldog through and through

ZaggyStardust
07-26-2013, 05:23 PM
That is FANTASTIC! So incredibly happy for E!!!!

Bocco
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
congratulations Elias

SteelZag
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
A chance to play with Kobe, Nash, Gasol and a former teammate. Doesn't get much better than that. Congrats Elias!

ZagNative
07-26-2013, 05:38 PM
WOW!!! We LOVE YOU Elias! And a 2 year contract! Longer than Sacre.
Sacre recently signed a three-year deal, with the first two years guaranteed.

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-26-2013, 05:38 PM
So awesome!!!!

Zagdawg
07-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Outstanding!! Great news! Congrats Elias!

ZagMan in Philly
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Hard work pays off, well deserved for EH! Good luck and here hoping you will have a long career in the NBA.

ZagNative
07-26-2013, 05:57 PM
More from Eric Pincus of the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-sign-elias-harris-two-year-deal-20130726,0,2852148.story):
He impressed new Lakers player development coach Mark Madsen.

"Elias had a great career up at Gonzaga," Madsen told The Times. "I think the word that comes to my mind with Elias is 'versatility.' At times we asked him to guard two men.

"His ability to guard men, and with the ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket, is a tremendous skill set," continued Madsen.

Harris received a yet-to-be-disclosed, partial guarantee on his salary of $490,180 in his first season with the team. His second year, at $816,482, is not believed to be guaranteed.

misszigzag
07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
So pumped to hear this! Congratulations to Elias :)

Oregonzagnut
07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Sacre recently signed a three-year deal, with the first two years guaranteed.

Thanks ZN, I thought it was a one year 1 million contract. Awesome! They are saying some nice things at Laker Nation.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64033-lakers-sign-elias-harris-to-2-year-deal/?hl=%2Belias+%2Bharris

Ekrub
07-26-2013, 07:55 PM
The next time the lakers play the celtics there may be 3 GU players on the floor. That would be a sight to see.

Oregonzagnut
07-26-2013, 08:00 PM
The next time the lakers play the celtics there may be 3 GU players on the floor. That would be a sight to see.

The Lakers are also looking into Austin Daye. Yes... A near entire Zag 2nd team? Wouldn't that be cool. Harris, Sacre, Daye.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-26-2013, 08:23 PM
It's unbelievable that Guard U now has so many big men in the Association...

Congratulations Elias!!!

Zag Man
07-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I am so very proud of Elias getting this contract in the NBA! In fact, I was very surprised when no team drafted him in the first place. Elias is a wonderful basketball player, teammate, and representative of Gonzaga. All of the current students and alumni of Gonzaga get a measure of recognition by the success of student-athletes like Kelly, Rob, Elias, Jeremy Pargo, and other former Zag players. We are proud of all of you as you are all members of the Gonzaga family! And, as family members, we rejoice in your individual success!

ZagNative
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Just imagining Elis going to bed tonight, saying, over and over, and over again,

"I'm a Laker, I'm a Laker, I'm a Laker!"

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/dog_dakota_snow_angel_bed_lg_nwm1.gif (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ZagNative/media/Junk/Misc/dog_dakota_snow_angel_bed_lg_nwm1.gif.html)

Reborn
07-26-2013, 09:45 PM
congratulation Elias!!! Wow! Just great news. Im so happy for Elias. His committment to Gonzaga paid off. I have NEVER liked the Lakers. May have to now.

hooter73
07-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Wow incredibly good news for as skeptical as we all were. We should have believed!

sittingon50
07-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Congratulations Elias!!

:clap:

MickMick
07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
I'll be first to admit that I thought Elias was destined for a foreign league. Obviously, he is more suited for the league than I thought. It really has me scratching my head about Josh Heytvelt. That man is a skilled offensive player.

I'm happy for Elias and hope he has a long, productive NBA career.

jim77
07-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee!!!!!!!

DixieZag
07-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Wow. Just wow. I am fully aware that one can't play in the NBA without all the skills, sometimes I wonder if, on the close cases, being an all around great guy and one no one need worry about being young, single and lots of money doesn't play some role sometimes b/c Elias seems like a great investment in all areas.

Rangerzag
07-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Wow. Just wow. I am fully aware that one can't play in the NBA without all the skills, sometimes I wonder if, on the close cases, being an all around great guy and one no one need worry about being young, single and lots of money doesn't play some role sometimes b/c Elias seems like a great investment in all areas.

You may have missed this thread (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=44688&highlight=married+elias):

And, yes, by far the best news of the day!!

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=44688&highlight=married+elias

jazzdelmar
07-27-2013, 04:36 AM
What an amazing surprise. Did not see this coming. Congrats E!

Quiz for the day: How many college programs have two alums on the same NBA team?

Zerogame
07-27-2013, 05:23 AM
From a Laker post regarding E playing in the D League.

"Farmar had significant money, and he was in the D-League for a bit. granted he played for the Lakers at night

Farmar was also a first rounder so he was guaranteed money.

They just gave an undrafted player guaranteed money. With the Lakers financial situation, hard to see them giving him guaranteed money to be in the d-league. "
Talking about Daye as last man on roster.:000tens:

Zerogame
07-27-2013, 05:28 AM
The509sfinest
Kennel Club Material

"One of the most if not the most under appreciated Zag of all time, he's one of the greats."

509 said it best back on 3-3-13

ZagNative
07-27-2013, 07:00 AM
From twitter:

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 1m

Happy for Gonzaga's Elias Harris, who just signed with Lakers. Experts overrated him 1st two years then underrated him last 2 years. Crazy!

Oregonzagnut
07-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Is there any other team in the NBA that picks and caters to one specific college team like the Lakers do to Gonzaga. This is a testament the quality of people both in hoops skills and character that Mark Few develops.

But it also now makes me wonder something else: Mark Few's contract with Gonzaga ends in 2015. Mike D'Antoni's contract ends in 2015. If the Lakers like the Gonzaga athlete, then I think it possible they go after Mark Few for the head coaching position. much like Celtics pulled Stevens.

bigblahla
07-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Is there any other team in the NBA that picks and caters to one specific college team like the Lakers do to Gonzaga. This is a testament the quality of people both in hoops skills and character that Mark Few develops.

But it also now makes me wonder something else: Mark Few's contract with Gonzaga ends in 2015. Mike D'Antoni's contract ends in 2015. If the Lakers like the Gonzaga athlete, then I think it possible they go after Mark Few for the head coaching position. much like Celtics pulled Stevens.

Not much fly fishing in the LA river. I think you're worried over nothing.

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
07-27-2013, 08:20 AM

OZN, why do you always go the extra mile? :)

bartruff1
07-27-2013, 08:34 AM
The509sfinest
Kennel Club Material

"One of the most if not the most under appreciated Zag of all time, he's one of the greats."

509 said it best back on 3-3-13

He was the consummate teammate and without the " me me me..". the record book shows how productive he was over his career.

Right there with JP among my favorites.... I am really pulling for him ... he knows how to play the game and if he hits a few threes and plays defense he just might make it.

DixieZag
07-27-2013, 08:42 AM
You may have missed this thread (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=44688&highlight=married+elias):

And, yes, by far the best news of the day!!

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=44688&highlight=married+elias

Hey, thanks, I had missed that. Of course, that only strengthens my point, some teams worry about young, single, players with money - - and Harris is not one to worry about anyway - - so I would think him being married only makes their commitment make even more sense.

KStyles
07-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Quiz for the day: How many college programs have two alums on the same NBA team?

I was curious, so I looked it up. No surprise, Kentucky leads the way. These are the programs with 2+ players on the same NBA team roster as of today, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NBA_team_rosters) (the rosters right now include all players a team has rights to, such as unsigned draft picks). The list may be a bit shorter by opening day, and if you limit it to graduates, the list is probably much shorter.

Kentucky (Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Sacramento (3 players))
Kansas (Brooklyn, Phoenix)
Duke (Chicago (3), Charlotte)
Florida (Chicago, Golden State)
UConn (Detroit, Charlotte (3), Oklahoma City)
UNC (Dallas (3))
Arkansas (Houston)
Ohio State (Memphis)
Washington (Memphis)
UCLA (Minnesota, LA Clippers (3))
Arizona (Minnesota)
Gonzaga (LA Lakers)

Oregonzagnut
07-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Not much fly fishing in the LA river. I think you're worried over nothing.

Go!! Zags!!!

Not worried at all, I was "wondering". Thinking out loud if you will. That is a far cry from worried. This offseason I am not worried about anything really.

This is the best off season I can ever remember!

jazzdelmar: OZN, why do you always go the extra mile?

I think most would agree they are happy I do not run the 10K at GUBoards. I guess try to get as much mileage out of each post I can.

jazzdelmar
07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
I was curious, so I looked it up. No surprise, Kentucky leads the way. These are the programs with 2+ players on the same NBA team roster as of today, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NBA_team_rosters) (the rosters right now include all players a team has rights to, such as unsigned draft picks). The list may be a bit shorter by opening day, and if you limit it to graduates, the list is probably much shorter.

Kentucky (Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Sacramento (3 players))
Kansas (Brooklyn, Phoenix)
Duke (Chicago (3), Charlotte)
Florida (Chicago, Golden State)
UNC (Dallas (3))
Arkansas (Houston)
Ohio State (Memphis)
Washington (Memphis)
UCLA (Minnesota, LA Clippers (3))
Arizona (Minnesota)
Gonzaga (LA Lakers)

Good work Stylin. If the Daye rumor is true, the Zags really move to rare air with three Lakers. Ky, Duke, Ucon, NC and UCLA. Cool.

ZagNative
07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Video: WCC this Week - Elias Harris (http://youtu.be/plKQPaDthUU). Must see Big Rob making fun of Elias' accent!

DixieZag
07-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Video: WCC this Week - Elias Harris (http://youtu.be/plKQPaDthUU). Must see Big Rob making fun of Elias' accent!

It must be especially nice for Rob to be a Laker. He is right next door to where he plans to be in his next career, Hollywood.

Dogtownkid
07-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Great clip! I really enjoyed hearing Elias' feelings about the school and his teammates.

Reborn
07-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Great video, ZN. Listening to him talk about the closeness of the team, and his love for Gonzaga makes me think of those famous words by Valvano, "Never give up. Don't ever give up." And that video of Elias reignited that fire that burns deep inside me. I think about those tough losses to UCLA and last year to WSU, and then feel those words on that video by Elias and I know that the Zags will be back in the hunt next season. And I recommit myself to share the passion that I have for the Zags with all of Zagnation.

It's tough to be a fan sometimes. And there are so many of us who bleed Gonzaga red, white and blue. And sometimes there are those rare games like the Witchita State game and you just feel like crying. It's taken me along time to get over that game. Elias spoke of his love for the Gonzaga fans and how much we help them. But just listening to him talk about him being a Zag and what it means to him makes me aware of how much the very long line of GU players has meant to me and to all of us in ZagNation. It is the players who make us love this team as much as we do. And Elias Harris is certainly one of those great players that I have loved, and who has given me so many great moments watching him play.

ZagsZombieNation
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM

I think David Stockton does a better impression of Elias' voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpih4smROvQ (11:49 mark)

bigblahla
07-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Great video, ZN. Listening to him talk about the closeness of the team, and his love for Gonzaga makes me think of those famous words by Valvano, "Never give up. Don't ever give up." And that video of Elias reignited that fire that burns deep inside me. I think about those tough losses to UCLA and last year to WSU, and then feel those words on that video by Elias and I know that the Zags will be back in the hunt next season. And I recommit myself to share the passion that I have for the Zags with all of Zagnation.

It's tough to be a fan sometimes. And there are so many of us who bleed Gonzaga red, white and blue. And sometimes there are those rare games like the Witchita State game and you just feel like crying. It's taken me along time to get over that game. Elias spoke of his love for the Gonzaga fans and how much we help them. But just listening to him talk about him being a Zag and what it means to him makes me aware of how much the very long line of GU players has meant to me and to all of us in ZagNation. It is the players who make us love this team as much as we do. And Elias Harris is certainly one of those great players that I have loved, and who has given me so many great moments watching him play.

And 1!

Nice post. Classic Reborn.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagquette
07-27-2013, 06:45 PM
I'll be first to admit that I thought Elias was destined for a foreign league. Obviously, he is more suited for the league than I thought. It really has me scratching my head about Josh Heytvelt. That man is a skilled offensive player.

I'm happy for Elias and hope he has a long, productive NBA career.

The league doesn't need more skilled offensive players. If you want to stick in the league you need to be tough, be able to rebound, and defend your position. This is the reason why sacre and Harris are on a roster and Micah and josh are not. IMHO.

webspinnre
07-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Micah isn't tough, able to rebound and defend his position?

ZAGGED OUT
07-27-2013, 07:47 PM
The league doesn't need more skilled offensive players. If you want to stick in the league you need to be tough, be able to rebound, and defend your position. This is the reason why sacre and Harris are on a roster and Micah and josh are not. IMHO.

Micah was averaging over 2 steals a game for a whOle D League season sooooo

Zag 77
07-27-2013, 11:52 PM
He impressed new Lakers player development coach Mark Madsen.

I believe this Mr. Madsen was on the Stanford team that GU upset in the NCAA in 1999.:)

ZagaZags
07-28-2013, 12:20 AM
I believe this Mr. Madsen was on the Stanford team that GU upset in the NCAA in 1999.:)

Mark Madsen was on the #2 seed Stanford team. Minnesota was a #7 seed, Florida was a #6 seed and UConn was a #1 seed and won the championsip.

zagfan24
07-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Congrats Elias! So well deserved.

In the last few years, Lakers have had Harris, Sacre, Morrison, and Turiaf on their roster at various times. They also drafted Paul Rogers back in the day, though I don't think he ever played for them.

basketballzag
07-28-2013, 04:40 AM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=46458&page=12

I am batting 1000% this year. It was more than obvious he was going to make the NBA this year.

kitzbuel
07-28-2013, 07:48 AM

In the last few years, Lakers have had Harris, Sacre, Morrison, and Turiaf on their roster at various times. They also drafted Paul Rogers back in the day, though I don't think he ever played for them.

GU is turning into a Lakers farm club.

Congrats to Harris. Two of our 4 departing players go to the league, not bad at all.

bballbeachbum
07-28-2013, 08:11 AM
YES!!! man this is cool. Love E

consummate team player...that's why he made it, my opinion, and he can play obviously.

great video ZN, thank you!

Just_An_Old_Zag
07-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Wonders how much fun Sacre is gonna have hazing the Rook...

Hoopaholic
07-28-2013, 04:38 PM
As much as I hate nba glamour round ball may need to poke head in and go watch game or two this year

Once and Future Zag
07-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Lakers also drafted Burgess.

DixieZag
07-28-2013, 04:40 PM
GU is turning into a Lakers farm club.

Congrats to Harris. Two of our 4 departing players go to the league, not bad at all.

True.

Question for NBA knowers: Is it possible that the Lakers will take a Gonzaga factor into consideration in future drafts, just knowing the guys are well coached in fundamentals, work hard and are team players? Or I am just being a naïve homer?

basketballzag
07-28-2013, 05:20 PM
True.

Question for NBA knowers: Is it possible that the Lakers will take a Gonzaga factor into consideration in future drafts, just knowing the guys are well coached in fundamentals, work hard and are team players? Or I am just being a naïve homer?

Yes, yes, and yes. Gonzaga has earned a reputation across the league of putting out well balanced, intelligent, and hard working players both on and off court. "The Few Factor" is what it has been nicknamed.

The NBA ready players is one of the big reasons the Zags have garnered so much attention this year because is now seen as a NBA factory school believe it or not.

Zagdawg
07-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Zag Lakers--

Burgess
Turiaf
Adam
Sacre
Harris

Did I miss anyone?

katman50
07-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm so hyped up for Elias and congratulate him. I have to admit, I was one of the doubters. I thought his performance in Summer League was marginal. It's a good thing I am not an evaluator of talent! Elias, continue to prove any doubters way wrong! Continue to improve, which I know you can. You are such a humble, laid back and unselfish player. I hope you make your millions in the League. Back in the days of Magic and Kareem, the Lakers were my favorite team (and I am from Seattle) but since those Showtime days, the Lakers have fallen out of my favor. I guess it has been revived. Imagine the Lakers playing the Celtics, the next couple of years. Kelly, Elias and Rob! Congratulations to all you hard workers and fellow Zags! Don't care for the NBA, but it looks like I will be watching a few key games!

KStyles
07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Zag Lakers--

Burgess
Turiaf
Adam
Sacre
Harris

Did I miss anyone?

They drafted Lefebvre as well, though he didn't end up playing for them.

Vanzagger
07-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Rogers

GeorgiaZagFan
07-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Just wondering...if Harris and Olynyk both have a really good NBA season and early NBA career ....will that help the Zags reel in some better recruits? Or will the fact that it is Gonzaga in Spokane (middle of nowhere to some :) ) always be a problem?

titopoet
07-29-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm so hyped up for Elias and congratulate him. I have to admit, I was one of the doubters. I thought his performance in Summer League was marginal. It's a good thing I am not an evaluator of talent! Elias, continue to prove any doubters way wrong! Continue to improve, which I know you can. You are such a humble, laid back and unselfish player. I hope you make your millions in the League. Back in the days of Magic and Kareem, the Lakers were my favorite team (and I am from Seattle) but since those Showtime days, the Lakers have fallen out of my favor. I guess it has been revived. Imagine the Lakers playing the Celtics, the next couple of years. Kelly, Elias and Rob! Congratulations to all you hard workers and fellow Zags! Don't care for the NBA, but it looks like I will be watching a few key games!

I think he had a great summer league and that is why he got the job offer. He knew what job he was applying for. The reality is that the Lakers were looking for a role guy, a high energy type that will do the dirty work and put his ego on hold. E had no plays call for him, was always the third of fourth option and called on to play tough d, guard multiple positions, clear lanes for drives, generally do the dirty work and only score on busted plays and be the outlet on the offense. Simply play the role that Hart did on the Zags last year. Many stars out of college don't want to do that, and they go into the Summer league and jack up shot after shot, thinking that is what a team is looking for. The Lakers have scorers, and playermakers, they needed role guys and energy guys off the bench that what E was doing. Hence why he was offered the job and Laundry wasn't as of yet.

titopoet
07-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Just wondering...if Harris and Olynyk both have a really good NBA season and early NBA career ....will that help the Zags reel in some better recruits? Or will the fact that it is Gonzaga in Spokane (middle of nowhere to some :) ) always be a problem?

Already helped in getting Kyle to Spokane. If Kyle develops in his red shirt year, better believe recruits will notice.

bartruff1
07-29-2013, 07:19 AM
I think he had a great summer league and that is why he got the job offer. He knew what job he was applying for. The reality is that the Lakers were looking for a role guy, a high energy type that will do the dirty work and put his ego on hold. E had no plays call for him, was always the third of fourth option and called on to play tough d, guard multiple positions, clear lanes for drives, generally do the dirty work and only score on busted plays and be the outlet on the offense. Simply play the role that Hart did on the Zags last year. Many stars out of college don't want to do that, and they go into the Summer league and jack up shot after shot, thinking that is what a team is looking for. The Lakers have scorers, and playermakers, they needed role guys and energy guys off the bench that what E was doing. Hence why he was offered the job and Laundry wasn't as of yet.

I have no inside info and I am only guessing, but in my opinion if Morrison had been able or willing to do the dirty work and be the fourth option on offense, he would still be playing...but who knows...very sad he did not make it..

DADoZAG
07-29-2013, 07:54 AM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=46458&page=12

I am batting 1000% this year. It was more than obvious he was going to make the NBA this year.

...and some of us are paying attention bbz.

Here's hoping your recent post regarding Shem and Sabonis are just as accurate.

In regard to the discussions going on about Mo and Josh, they are the perfect example of what can happen when mind-set goes south. Just my opinion based only on observation from afar.

Congrats to E. Working and sacrificing for years and years to achieve a goal is rare these days. ‘Should be an example for us all.

Go ZAGS!

zag944
07-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Short of having championship and final four banners hanging in your arena, I don't know that there is a better recruiting sell point to have in your holster with regard to the top notch recruits.

LongIslandZagFan
07-29-2013, 08:40 AM
There were more than a few on here questioning E's ability to make the NBA. Honestly, at times, I was one of them, though based more on lack of faith in the NBA to see beyond his tweener size.

Very happy for him. Go E! Go Zags!

MTZag03
07-29-2013, 08:51 AM
There were more than a few on here questioning E's ability to make the NBA. Honestly, at times, I was one of them, though based more on lack of faith in the NBA to see beyond his tweener size.

Very happy for him. Go E! Go Zags!

I was in that camp too. I'm very glad I was proved wrong. Everything I've ever seen of the nba is that they only value youth, potential, and length. Every year we hear about the tweeners who can't play a defined nba position even if they were great college players. So glad they see beyond this with E.

gamagin
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
switched to add ball handling & def. toughness as assets on the scouting report that came with the contract, I perked up.

He may have the fastest spin move I've seen.And his vertical is amazing. Given those 4 gifts, he has a good chance.

We'll see how he does & keeps honing those first two skills mentioned above going forward. I think if he adapts to the pros and gets better & better, he could be a force.

He's earned the shot & chance to shine.

BTB
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I have no inside info and I am only guessing, but in my opinion if Morrison had been able or willing to do the dirty work and be the fourth option on offense, he would still be playing...but who knows...very sad he did not make it..

Eh. He was a huge liability in pretty much every aspect. Couldn't defend, couldn't rebound, and couldn't score efficiently. He could have made it if he had found a team in need of a volume scorer off the bench with a strong defense to cover up for him.

Anyways, I was someone who believed Harris wouldn't get drafted but would end up in the NBA eventually after refining his perimeter game in Europe. I couldn't be happier for him. I am not sure if he will actually be on the roster or be sent down to the D-League this year, but I have no doubt that he will stick around for a while in the NBA. Everybody always needs a versatile and tough player like him. He was better than Sacre every year at Gonzaga and Sacre made it!

That being said, I am sick of the Lakers drafting all of the Zags! They were also interested in Daye last week but reportedly weren't impressed when he worked out with them. Pretty soon I am going to be forced to use them in NBA 2k14!

jimmy b
07-29-2013, 01:31 PM
switched to add ball handling & def. toughness as assets on the scouting report that came with the contract, I perked up.

He may have the fastest spin move I've seen.And his vertical is amazing. Given those 4 gifts, he has a good chance.

We'll see how he does & keeps honing those first two skills mentioned above going forward. I think if he adapts to the pros and gets better & better, he could be a force.

He's earned the shot & chance to shine.

And figured EH had good shot. Really happy for him. I look at comparison to Kawhi Leonard. Though they are different players, if Elias can develop a reliable 3 pointer and keep improving his defense and ballhandling, he may have a career.

One thing I noticed from the combine and I think posted at the time is that Elias was listed as having 2nd highest body fat % of all participants. I realize different people are built different ways, but wonder if that percentage drops by 5 points (and he loses 12 pounds) what that can do to his quickness, etc. I think he only gets better.

My sons (10 and 7) who like the Lakers (I do not) asked recently when I'd be a Lakers fan with Sacre and Nash on the team. I've replied when Kobe retires. Then during summer league it was whether I'd be a fan if EH makes the Lakers, which I said I would. That probably means some in person games so I'm hoping Elias sticks and doesn't end up in D-League.

willandi
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM

Gonzaga (LA Lakers)

Does Charlotte really count as a NBA team? What have they done since Adam left?

zaguarxj
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
How is this possible when Few never gave him the chance to play the "3" in college. :cool:

TheGonzagaFactor
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Yes and yes.

gamagin
07-29-2013, 08:59 PM
And figured EH had good shot. Really happy for him. I look at comparison to Kawhi Leonard. Though they are different players, if Elias can develop a reliable 3 pointer and keep improving his defense and ballhandling, he may have a career.

One thing I noticed from the combine and I think posted at the time is that Elias was listed as having 2nd highest body fat % of all participants. I realize different people are built different ways, but wonder if that percentage drops by 5 points (and he loses 12 pounds) what that can do to his quickness, etc. I think he only gets better.

My sons (10 and 7) who like the Lakers (I do not) asked recently when I'd be a Lakers fan with Sacre and Nash on the team. I've replied when Kobe retires. Then during summer league it was whether I'd be a fan if EH makes the Lakers, which I said I would. That probably means some in person games so I'm hoping Elias sticks and doesn't end up in D-League.

Interesting observations. Thanks. My guess is if EH sticks, the excess will be gone pretty quickly with the big league schedule & demands.

My two boys, also a couple years apart, turned into Raiders & Colts fans and they turned out okay.

Zag 77
07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
This is hard.

I have always hated the Lakers.

However, I have to admit that they have been good to Gonzaga players.

It is going to be hard to like those gawd-awful uniforms.

ZaGranny
07-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Nothing new, but a nice analysis.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1720625-breaking-down-everything-you-need-to-know-about-la-lakers-elias-harris

Still, his resume was strong enough to earn him a spot on the Lakers summer league squad. There he flashed a relentless motor and soft hands, both of which bolstered his stock as a productive, hustling role player:

He didn't quite light up the Sin City scoreboard, but he did manage 10.2 points per game on 44.7 percent field-goal shooting. His 5.6 rebounds per game were second on the team, trailing only Lakers sophomore, and Harris' former teammate at Gonzaga, Robert Sacre.

Had he fared better than 18.8 percent from beyond the arc, Harris' contract might have been fully guaranteed. Still, he made enough plays off the dribble to convince the front office that he was worth another look as a potential fit as the stretch forward in Mike D'Antoni's system.

Much more at the link.

ZaGranny

U Zig, I Zag
07-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Semi-related, looks like Austin is going to Toronto...

zaguarxj
08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
The real reason he's getting a shot is that they don't call traveling in the NBA. He can do the euro-shuffle all he wants now!

ZAGGED OUT
08-01-2013, 09:42 AM
The real reason he's getting a shot is that they don't call traveling in the NBA. He can do the euro-shuffle all he wants now!

Sarcasm? His Euro step isn't a travel.

zag944
08-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Elias has impressive footwork. Not traveling as far as I can tell.

Save for some moments in the playoffs that reek of corruption (some of which has been confirmed by the Donaghy situation), I think the NBA refs actually do a pretty good job and find the traveling thing to be a complete myth these days. If anything, the NCAA refs struggle with it a lot more. I feel like a college crowd moans in disgust at a few moments where a violation should've been called almost every game.

ZAGGED OUT
08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Elias has impressive footwork. Not traveling as far as I can tell.

Save for some moments in the playoffs that reek of corruption (some of which has been confirmed by the Donaghy situation), I think the NBA refs actually do a pretty good job and find the traveling thing to be a complete myth these days. If anything, the NCAA refs struggle with it a lot more. I feel like a college crowd moans in disgust at a few moments where a violation should've been called almost every game.

(Witchita game)

Zagger
08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Nice going Harris! A Laker! I'm betting Elias only gets better and is just beginning a long NBA career. Go E!
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/7/27/4563682/lakers-sign-elias-harris

mgadfly
08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Eh. He was a huge liability in pretty much every aspect. Couldn't defend, couldn't rebound, and couldn't score efficiently. He could have made it if he had found a team in need of a volume scorer off the bench with a strong defense to cover up for him.

!

When was Morrison an inefficient scorer? Take a shot at his rebounding and defense by all means, but his scoring? A 120 O-Rating is pretty impressive, especially considering how many mid-range (traditionally the least efficient shot to take) he launched.

Olynyk was a hair more efficient while being a lot pickier about his opportunities taking nearly 300 less shots his junior season than Morrison did his junior season. I think it will be a long time before we see another Zag be as efficient as Morrison was while taking on the same load on the offensive end.

zaguarxj
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Sarcasm? His Euro step isn't a travel.

Just having fun. I think lots of the travelling calls he got were bogus.

basketballzag
08-03-2013, 08:20 AM
It always takes more than one player to be ranked #1 in CBB and it usually includes more than 1 NBA player to make it to the #1 ranking. Olynyk overshadowed Harris this year but Harris was always NBA ready. Harris will be a solid contributor for an NBA team for a few years. He brings something to the team and that is he can contribute just like he did at Gonzaga last year.