PDA

View Full Version : Adam Morrison

tampanjzag
07-25-2013, 12:47 PM
To join the Zags coaching staff...

Former Gonzaga star and National Player of the Year Adam Morrison is taking classes at the West Coast Conference school and will be a member of the Bulldogs' coaching staff this season, coach Mark Few told CBSSports.com on Thursday.

"He'll be a student assistant," Few said. "It'll be great. The players really respect him."

Morrison, 28, became a college basketball icon -- thanks in part to a 28.1 points-per-game scoring average and unforgettable mustache -- in 2006 while leading Gonzaga to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. The 6-foot-8 forward was named a First Team All-American and the Chevrolet National Player of the Year that season before becoming the third overall pick of the 2006 NBA Draft. He spent four years in the NBA, where he was a member of two championship teams with the Lakers in 2009 and 2010.

Gonzaga is ranked 16th in the preseason Top 25 (and one).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22890431/adam-morrison-joining-gonzaga-staff

cjm720
07-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Very cool...awesome and welcome home Ammo.

FieldHouseFishHouse
07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Wow, Wiltjer commits and now all the Larry Bird types come out of the woodwork.

Will Morrison need a red-shirt year, or is he ready to contribute right away? How are his academics?

ZaGranny
07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Welcome home, Ammo!

ZaGranny

Zag 77
07-25-2013, 01:08 PM
I think this is a real classy move by Few. I do not think he needed to do this. I suspect this might be to help Adam more than vice-versa, at least for the time being.

ZagNative
07-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow! What a stunner! Going to be fun!

Oregonzagnut
07-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Very VERY cool. I am so happy I could cry. Ammo deserves this and he has a long career in front of him.

The obstacles in his life have made his character so strong that he knows that the potential of every person to make their dreams come true. He brings a hard work ethic and an attitude of NEVER quitting. We need his loose but focussed attitude in March too. IMO.

Mark Few never ceases to amaze me. Few is rewarding the people who helped make his career so successful. Just when I think Few cant pull anymore out of his hat, he does.

Zagdawg
07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
He will be a good asset for the team/players-- he has great experience.

Doesn't he have a year of eligibility left?..... :)

Oregonzagnut
07-25-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22890431/adam-morrison-joining-gonzaga-staff

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/7/25/4557588/adam-morrison-reportedly-joining-gonzaga-staff

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-07-25/adam-morrison-gonzaga-coach-assistant-staff-joining-lakers-return

Reborn
07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
And the good news just keeps on a rolling. What is coming next? Congratulations to Adam. A great move by Coach Few.

Dogtownkid
07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Wow!

HRZag
07-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Welcome back Adam. An all-time great Zag, on our bench. Way cool.

madness
07-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Could someone in the GU Athletic Department please get a documentary crew on the phone ASAP? This has the makings for some fantastic bench conversations, he better be mic'd up at least.

buenaparkzag
07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Good deal!!!

MDABE80
07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
This will be good for the players. A college AA.He knows a lot. Let's hope he can structure the kids in how basketball works..on the O side anyway. D? Well...we'll see.

I do think this'll be good for Adam too.maybe moreso. I've not liked see him adrift. Boy he did a killer joab in Summer Leagues 2012 only to be left behind. 20 ppg. and no offers?

Welcome aboard Adam!! He might even instill some "attitude" in the kids.

Worthington
07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Wow, our wing player development probably just got better. Ammo's got a lot of knowledge to pass along, stoked to have him in board again!

webspinnre
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Very cool. Welcome back, Adam.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-25-2013, 02:19 PM
This is great. I would love to see him get his degree and then see the school retire his number.

hooter73
07-25-2013, 02:26 PM
i cant even begin to guess what he has gleaned over the past six years or so that he will bring to the table. Lots of experience in winning. Plus he's still young enough to identify with the players themselves. Im sure we'll never hear the inside ways (i like the documentary idea btw) but this could be really interesting.

As long as the classes hes taking are in Communications, he could have a lot to offer. :D

Oregonzagnut
07-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Few doesn't rebuild. He reloads. With Ammo.

VaBeachZAG
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
"Welcome aboard Adam!! He might even instill some "attitude" in the kids."

Of all the things Ammo can bring to the players, I think "attitude" will be the most valuable. I have never seen a more fearless offensive player in the college game.

BoZarth
07-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Awesome news!!!

Go Zags!!!!

229SintoZag
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
When the staff scrimmages with the team, my money is now on the staff.

I'd pay money to see Adam getting into it during practices with the current players.

If Adam does not one thing with Xs and Os, but just manages to transfer his fire and intensity and knack for the big moment to just one kid on the team, this will be a genius move.

basketballzag
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Does this mean SarahMo will be contributing to the board again? I miss her enthusiasm.

75Zag
07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Wish Adam well but IMO he is making a huge mistake. I suspect he has the ability to buy the Spokane Mercedes and BMW franchises. He could play golf, eat a few free meals at the Spokane Club, and be the Big Man at Spokane Campus for the next 40 years. Trading that for the life of an NCAA student coach seems like a really, really bad idea.

If you change your mind Adam, the Lovely Mrs. '75 in in the market for a SL750 and I suspect she would love to drive to Spokanistan to buy it from you.

Go Bulldogs!

GonzaGAW
07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
never saw this coming at all, but I like it.

to me it speaks of coach few's grace, and Morrison's maturity.
coach did not need to extend this opportunity to Morrison, and Morrison has matured to a point that he sees benefit in finishing his education, and the honor and importance there is in being a teacher to others.

win, win, I like it, good luck adam!

Baseline
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
This is great! It will be special to see Adam during the games.

What this means to me is Adam has decided to become a coach and what a better way to build a resume.

Birddog
07-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Wish Adam well but IMO he is making a huge mistake. I suspect he has the ability to buy the Spokane Mercedes and BMW franchises. He could play golf, eat a few free meals at the Spokane Club, and be the Big Man at Spokane Campus for the next 40 years. Trading that for the life of an NCAA student coach seems like a really, really bad idea.

If you change your mind Adam, the Lovely Mrs. '75 in in the market for a SL750 and I suspect she would love to drive to Spokanistan to buy it from you.

Go Bulldogs!

Not many Mercedes types that have posters of Che. Adam has always said that after playing he would like to coach. Son of a coach and overachiever, he'll do well.

maynard g krebs
07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
A decade ago on a Saturday night in March, I was seated in the second row of the baseline seats of the Tacoma Dome, in the corner near the Mead bench, awaiting the start of the Mead-Franklin state title game. About 20 minutes before game time, a slender middle-aged woman with glasses approached and asked if the one vacant seat in the first row was taken. She seemed a bit high strung and fidgety, and opened a bag full of juices, syringes and vials and was getting everything ready.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but somebody figured things out and asked her if she was Adam's mom. She said yes and graciously talked Mead basketball with several of the bb junkies seated around her as she prepared Adam's in-game medical regimen. At the end of warmups she headed for the Mead bench and I watched what she did during timeouts the rest of the night, checking blood sugar, then giving him a drink or a shot, with the urgency created by the length of the time outs.

Adam's shot was off that night, after playing 4 games in 4 days, but he carried Mead with 37 against a Franklin team with AA and future NBAer Aaron Brooks and a couple of D1 frontcourt guys, going hard to the basket every time he got the ball, and keeping them within reach until the 4th quarter. It was later reported that his blood sugar hit an alltime low of something like 57 during that game.

There may be guys his equal in terms of toughness, but nobody will ever surpass him as a competitor. And that's always going to rub off on those around him.

Brilliant hire, and congrats to all concerned. My level of fandom just went up a notch.

gamagin
07-25-2013, 07:19 PM
A decade ago on a Saturday night in March, I was seated in the second row of the baseline seats of the Tacoma Dome, in the corner near the Mead bench, awaiting the start of the Mead-Franklin state title game. About 20 minutes before game time, a slender middle-aged woman with glasses approached and asked if the one vacant seat in the first row. She seemed a bit high strung and fidgety, and opened a bag full of juices, syringes and vials and was getting everything ready.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but somebody figured things out and asked her if she was Adam's mom. She said yes and graciously talked Mead basketball with several of the bb junkies seated around her as she prepared Adam's in-game medical regimen. At the end of warmups she headed for the Mead bench and I watched what she did during timeouts the rest of the night, checking blood sugar, then giving him a drink or a shot, with the urgency created by the length of the time outs.

Adam's shot was off that night, after playing 4 games in 4 days, but he carried Mead with 37 against a Franklin team with AA and future NBAer Aaron Brooks and a couple of D1 frontcourt guys, going hard to the basket every time he got the ball, and keeping them within reach until the 4th quarter. It was later reported that his blood sugar hit an alltime low of something like 57 during that game.

There may be guys his equal in terms of toughness, but nobody will ever surpass him as a competitor. And that's always going to rub off on those around him.

Brilliant hire, and congrats to all concerned. My level of fandom just went up a notch.

well said. tnx

kylasdad
07-25-2013, 08:01 PM
So does he have to cut his hair?

Hoopaholic
07-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Classy move and demonstration of the willingness to give back....nice ammo.

DixieZag
07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Not many Mercedes types that have posters of Che. Adam has always said that after playing he would like to coach. Son of a coach and overachiever, he'll do well.

Very true. Che would buy a Subaru. And I just do not understand how this is somehow "dangerous" or a "bad idea" compared to hanging out at the Spokane Club - - perhaps, as he gets a little older, it is becoming more and more important to get in and help others? Perhaps he wants a new challenge and is not content to put it on cruise control.

I have trouble seeing this as anything but huge ups for Adam.

GrizZAG
07-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I am jacked. Ammo is the definition of Attitude, and that is what some of these guys could use. Great news. Get em fired up Ammo!

Stache
07-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Adam in a suit on the bench?
Dogs and cats living together
Mass hysteria!
Wow.

BoltZag
07-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Not many Mercedes types that have posters of Che.

Adam bought a brand new Range Rover about two days after being drafted. They run about $92,000 so....Che or not, some hippies like nice things.

Adam is one of my all time favorite Zags - glad he'll be around.

Rio Runner
07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
There may be guys his equal in terms of toughness, but nobody will ever surpass him as a competitor.

I agree with this. At Gonzaga, he was as competitive and as aggressive as anyone I've ever seen. He reminded me of Will Clark on the baseball field.

NYCZAG
07-27-2013, 04:24 PM
I think it's kind of sad. I love all of these guys like Kelly, Elias, Sacre, and on and on. I can't wrap my mind around the fact he isn't in the league. At 28 he is in his prime. He's the best offensive player to come out of GU and if he had D'antoni coaching him out of college he would of been a star. Reddick is better than Ammo? On what level? Maybe as a spot shooter but I just don't get it. I'm proud he doesn't have an ego about this and it's a great gesture both ways but sadly I feel this should be a thread in ten years not now! I'm sad he isn't playing. I just don't get it. Never will.

Malastein
07-27-2013, 04:28 PM
I think it's kind of sad. I love all of these guys like Kelly, Elias, Sacre, and on and on. I can't wrap my mind around the fact he isn't in the league. At 28 he is in his prime. He's the best offensive player to come out of GU and if he had D'antoni coaching him out of college he would of been a star. Reddick is better than Ammo? On what level? Maybe as a spot shooter but I just don't get it. I'm proud he doesn't have an ego about this and it's a great gesture both ways but sadly I feel this should be a thread in ten years not now! I'm sad he isn't playing. I just don't get it. Never will.

Reddick developed an all around game, and is an average defender. Ammo has a well documented displeasure for defense.

HenneZag
07-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Welcome Aboard Stud!

Like some posters, I am also excited for the intensity and passion ammo will bring to the table. We need a guy like him that will radiate that energy towards the players. I loved watching how much emotion/passion/intensity that he played with night in and night out. Only good can come out of this for both Adam and GU.

NYCZAG
07-27-2013, 04:31 PM
He plays average defense but he's a hell of a scorer. Reddick, Novak, bonnar to name a few don't play defense and they all play. It's just surreal to me.

MTZag03
07-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Nope. Nor do I. I don't get how a guy who had a decent rookie year, blew out an ACL right before his 2nd year, then was beached on the Lakers bench for years 3 and 4 and never played again got so much bad press. I mean, Ammo never really even got a chance. It's not like he was bad. He just never even got to play.

I'm just thrilled that he's going to finish his degree (I'm assuming that's part of what is happening) and gets to work with the GU program. He could really put a chip on some of our player's shoulders. Playing against the team I'm sure he'll give our best defenders absolute fits as well. I hope he stays and really carves out a role as a coach.

Malastein
07-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Morrison had a poor rookie season, as his PER was 7.9(15 is average) and negative win share for the year. His efficiency wasn't there. Did he deserve more of a chance to be a 6th man instant offense? Probably. But he really isn't in the same league as Reedick defensively. He'd be a killer matador, but a terrible NBA defender. I wish he had been an All Star, and miss his Gonzaga days. Will always be disappointed in his NBA career though.

katman50
07-27-2013, 06:09 PM

I totally agree. For me it will be hard seeing Adam on the bench. I will constantly be thinking about what could have been. If his first NBA coach was someone other than Larry Brown, if another team would have drafted him and if all the piece for his success would have fallen into place. So much of success is timing and serendipity. I just loved the guy. Again, don't think he was really given a chance, his injury, riding the bench for the Lakers. But I'm happy for him if that is what he wants to do. As the above poster stated, "I'm sad he isn't playing, I just don't get it, never will." My sentiments exactly.

Birddog
07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
I totally agree. For me it will be hard seeing Adam on the bench. I will constantly be thinking about what could have been. If his first NBA coach was someone other than Larry Brown, if another team would have drafted him and if all the piece for his success would have fallen into place. .
I'm pretty sure his 1st NBA coach was Bernie Bickerstaff, Brown came in year 3 with the Bobcats after his year out with the injury.

katman50
07-27-2013, 07:53 PM
My bad. I will put Bernie in this discussion as well.