PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McHale Likes Kelly O.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
The Celtics legend has some nice praise for Boston's new big man in this Boston Herald article.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/07/kevin_mchale_big_fan_of_kelly_olynyk_s_game

ZaGranny
07-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I posted this yesterday at 9:05 in the Zags in the summer league thread. There have been so many posted, it's kind of hard to keep track.

ZaGranny

Rio Runner
07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Olynyk is not the defender McHale was (very few are). But offensively Olynyk does a lot of things McHale did -- can score inside and outside, uses pump fakes, smart shot selection, very skilled, fluid, tough, and always under control. No wonder McHale likes him.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/0730/nba_g_mchale_195.jpg

Oregonzagnut
07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Olynyk is not the defender McHale was (very few are). But offensively Olynyk does a lot of things McHale did -- can score inside and outside, uses pump fakes, smart shot selection, very skilled, fluid, tough, and always under control. No wonder McHale likes him.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/0730/nba_g_mchale_195.jpg

If we compare rookie season to rookie season we may find that still to be true but I think Kelly has a wider range of abilities compared to McHale early on in his career.

Here is McHales career stats. Time will tell if Kelly can compare.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mchalke01.html

MickMick
07-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Kelley isn't as bad on defense as the pundits are portraying. His biggest fault is his tendency to commit bad fouls. Always has been.

He is inexperienced at the NBA level and the speed of the game is different.

He will adjust and he will be more than just a rotation player.

When the season starts, his numbers will not be as gaudy as the summer league. That is until the last quarter of the season.

Durant had string bean arms and wasn't known as a defender coming out, but everyone knew he could score.

Kelley is going to be just fine in the league.

Oregonzagnut
07-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Kelley isn't as bad on defense as the pundits are portraying. His biggest fault is his tendency to commit bad fouls. Always has been.

He is inexperienced at the NBA level and the speed of the game is different.

He will adjust and he will be more than just a rotation player.

When the season starts, his numbers will not be as gaudy as the summer league. That is until the last quarter of the season.

Durant had string bean arms and wasn't known as a defender coming out, but everyone knew he could score.

Kelley is going to be just fine in the league.

I agree and if he works as hard on his strength and speed as he did his redshirt year, just imagine what he will be. He is still rough in many areas. Amazing.

DixieZag
07-14-2013, 07:24 PM
I would just love to be making 1.7 Million, as a single guy at 22, in Boston - Boston is just a great place and I'll bet its even better with some walking around money and the toast of the Celtics.

He seems to be "winning" before he even gets on the floor - but his attitude and smarts will take him a long way.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I would just love to be making 1.7 Million, as a single guy at 22, in Boston - Boston is just a great place and I'll bet its even better with some walking around money and the toast of the Celtics.

He seems to be "winning" before he even gets on the floor - but his attitude and smarts will take him a long way.

Boston is a brutal city for a rookie sports star. The local fan bases and sports media are very tough on players. He will need to be very savvy about comporting himself on and off the floor or the fans will turn on him very quickly. He seems mature enough to weather that scrutiny, but he'll need to develop a very thick skin during the next couple of years. If he can make it in Boston, he can make it anywhere.

Ezag
07-14-2013, 08:14 PM

After taxes around a mil....how can he survive on that in Boston? Impossible I tell you, impossible!!!

DixieZag
07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Boston is a brutal city for a rookie sports star. The local fan bases and sports media are very tough on players. He will need to be very savvy about comporting himself on and off the floor or the fans will turn on him very quickly. He seems mature enough to weather that scrutiny, but he'll need to develop a very thick skin during the next couple of years. If he can make it in Boston, he can make it anywhere.

That is an excellent point. He will have a ton of pressure upon him - more than most cities. It could be worse, he could be in NY or Philly?

stretch
07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
One thing Olynyk can do that McHale could not is dribble the basketball.

Mr Vulture
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah...but he apparently could keep up with the legendary "top 50" player of all time...Dave Cowens. Apparently, Cowens could handle Abdul Jabbar in his prime per one of the commentors. The comments are always interesting to read...

sullyzag66
07-15-2013, 03:02 PM
After taxes around a mil....how can he survive on that in Boston? Impossible I tell you, impossible!!!
Which is why...

I saw KO in downtown Spokane this afternoon. Had to do a double take because I couldn't believe he came back so quickly after Summer League.