PDA

View Full Version : Everett AquaSox's Tyler Olson Dominates...

TerpZag
07-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AquaSox's Olson dominates in 5-0 win

EUGENE -- Tyler Olson retired the first 17 batters he faced on the way to a complete-game shutout and the AquaSox beat the Eugene Emeralds 5-0.

Olson's was just the fourth 9-inning complete game by an AquaSox pitcher since 1999.

It was almost something even rarer. The only hit Olson gave up was a popup to shallow left field by shortstop Chase Jensen that Phillips Castillo had a chance at. Castillo made a heroic attempt at a diving catch to preserve the perfect game, but couldn't quite get there.

That small hiccup, and a walk later in the inning, were really the only flaws in an otherwise dominant pitching performance. Olson struck out 10 and finished under 100 pitches. He had only thrown 50 prior to facing Jensen, and he needed 10 or fewer in six of his nine innings. He came back in the seventh after his only tough inning to retire the Emeralds with just six...

Everett Herald Article Link (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130710/SPORTS/707109881#AquaSoxs-Olson-dominates-in-5-0-win)

TerpZag
07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Mariners' Olson lands in right spot

AquaSox left-hander tosses one-hit shutout in fifth pro start

There's an obvious risk and reward confronted by every college junior who gets taken in the First-Year Player Draft.

For third-year college players, it's really the last time to wield any leverage in bonus negotiations, with their senior year still a viable option. But if they choose to exhaust that option, they do so knowing they may get hurt or actually bring down their stock for next year's Draft.

For Tyler Olson, it's hard to imagine things working out much better than they have.

The Mariners prospect pitched a complete-game one-hitter in his fifth professional start Wednesday night, striking out 10 and issuing just one walk, as short-season Everett blanked Eugene, 5-0.

"I was just throwing strikes, getting ahead of batters, throwing first-pitch strikes," Olson said. "The off-speed stuff was working really well, too, and I was just over the plate, had pretty good command tonight and let the defense work.

"Obviously, going deep in the game is kind of what our philosophy is -- to get the lead, go deep. And that was my first win in my first year here, so all that combined made it pretty spectacular."

Olson arrived in Everett after Seattle selected him in the seventh round of last month's Draft. It was an ideal landing spot for the 23-year-old left-hander, who grew up in Washington and attended Gonzaga University.

"It's amazing, especially with my family being close. The only start they missed was the one across the border in Vancouver. And being familiar with the area, I'm a little more comfortable, not having to make a huge adjustment," he said. "It's amazing to be playing for the local team."...

MiLB.com Article Link (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130711&content_id=53395968&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb)

Everett AquaSox Game Box Score (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2013_07_10_eveasx_eugasx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

webspinnre
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Good for him! The one thing I'd mention is that he's quite old relative to the average age of the rest of the league. Many of the others are going to be 19 and 20 year olds, if not younger.