PDA

View Full Version : Some St. Joe's tidbits...

Nevtelen
08-19-2007, 10:35 AM
...and an interesting look at the A-10 here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2966581). One of the interesting things is their new scheduling restrictions on the member schools (in the Schedule Mandates section towards the bottom):

At a closed-ballot vote this past January, the league's head coaches were asked to predict the order of finish for this upcoming season. The votes were organized into three tiers. When the conference schedule was drawn up this summer, the 16-game league slate provides one game against each team for 13 total, with the remaining three games against similarly tiered schools. This concept allows schools with postseason aspirations to limit their exposure to RPI liabilities within the league. (St Joe's is clearly considered in the top tier of the league).

and

The new criteria extends to the nonconference portion of the schedule, as well. All A-10 teams are now barred from taking paychecks in so-called "guarantee games," which all but guarantee a blowout loss. And teams from the top tier are forbidden to schedule nonconference games against teams with RPIs lower than 200.

The WCC isn't quite up to this yet (the 'no guarantee games' rule would hurt some schools' budgets sigficantly, I'd think), but it's some interesting ideas that make sure the conference has a good RPI.

CDC84
08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
One of the main problems with the A-10 is the discrepancy between the teams from the middle on up and the teams at the bottom. There has been a lot of discussion this past year of trying to rid the league of teams like St. Bonnie's and La Salle, or at least putting significant pressure on them to show a greater commitment to their basketball programs. The A-10 last season had 6 top 100 RPI teams, while the bottom 4 teams had an average RPI of 260. I think part of what the A-10 is trying to tell the bottom feeders is that while the guarantee games provide money, they also generate losses that drag down the league as a whole, and that hurts teams in the league that have postseason aspirations.

jazzdelmar
08-19-2007, 11:46 AM
The Hawk Will Never Die!!!!

roxdoc
08-19-2007, 12:48 PM
It sounds like a pretty clever arrangement. If a couple of WCC teams get better and the league were to grow (SU, etc) so the league schedule was messy maybe it would be something to consider. Right now the schedule is nice and square and most of the other teams are struggeling to stay above the 150-200 RPI mark.

deathchina
08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Where does everyone expect the WCC to fall in terms of conference RPI? Here is how the WCC did the past few seasons.

2007 - 15th
06 - 12th
05 - 7th
04 - 12th
03 - 10th
02 - 15th
01 - 17th
00 - 15th
99 - 12th

I'm guessing we do a bit better than last season, maybe somewhere between 10-12th in conference RPI.

LongIslandZagFan
08-20-2007, 06:07 AM
I'd like to think the WCC would finish at 9 or 10. Not sure if the talent is there yet. In the next few years, with the classes that the other schools are bringing in, we should be able to break the top 10 and possible match our best at #7.

CDC84
08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
You all can do your part to make the WCC better by praying each and every night that Vance Walberg continues to stay at Pepperdine despite the BCS temptations that will inevitably come. If he stays, the WCC stands a pretty decent chance of being a 7-10 RPI league fairly soon.

DavyZag
08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
You all can do your part to make the WCC better by praying each and every night that Vance Walberg continues to stay at Pepperdine despite the BCS temptations that will inevitably come. If he stays, the WCC stands a pretty decent chance of being a 7-10 RPI league fairly soon.

Um... I think more likely is we better pray each night that he doesn't get nailed with NCAA violations within the next year and put Pepperdine into an even deeper spiral than it was in at the end of Westphal's tenure.

The whole Brad Tinsely thing stinks, as does the Tucker package deal.

But maybe that's just me.

As for the A-10's scheduling rules, that is super interesting and a very pro-active move to help out the conference. There was a lot of bellyaching by BCS schools when the Missouri Valley "cracked" the RPI, but hey... it's an unfair playing field as it is and good for smaller conferences for trying to figure out a way to level it out a bit.

Nevtelen
08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Right now, I'd say next year the WCC will be 15th again. Its tough to say without projecting how good lots of conferences will be, but I just don't see much to cheer about in the WCC... yet. Pepp is still a year off with a young but talented couple of classes, SCU could be okay, but won't match last year's squad I don't think... Bascially, St Marys should improve significantly, I expect, but every other team is probably going to tread water - maybe be up a bit or down a bit.

Now if you ask me about 2 and 3 years from now, I have some hope that the WCC is starting to get off the ground...

Definitely agree with you, CDC, about Walberg. And if Keating can actually coach, he'll be a good get for SCU, too - he's started to land some decent talent, looks like.

lothar98zag
08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Um... I think more likely is we better pray each night that he doesn't get nailed with NCAA violations within the next year and put Pepperdine into an even deeper spiral than it was in at the end of Westphal's tenure.

The whole Brad Tinsely thing stinks, as does the Tucker package deal.

Elaborate please.

Thanks.

lothar98zag
08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Where does everyone expect the WCC to fall in terms of conference RPI? Here is how the WCC did the past few seasons.

2007 - 15th
06 - 12th
05 - 7th
04 - 12th
03 - 10th
02 - 15th
01 - 17th
00 - 15th
99 - 12th

I'm guessing we do a bit better than last season, maybe somewhere between 10-12th in conference RPI.
11 or 12

mendiant
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THAT HAWK!!!

I cannot wait until St Joe's is in the Kennel again. i will get that Hawk's autograph.

3 plus solid hours of flapping...impressive!

JLGutrocks
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

bummer.

DavyZag
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Elaborate please.

Thanks.

Well look... obviously I don't know any insider info. But I have been skeptical of Walberg for a while, and I tried to do a lot of research for this response.

A lot of my friends went to WCC schools and we always talk about basketball, and nearly all of them seem to think that something is up with him. The example they always use is that he hired both of his daughters onto his staff last year... he also has the normal three assistants but also a administrative assistant, director of basketball operations, a video coordinator, along with his daughters. The guy travels with a huge posse.

I know that he hired Brad Tinsley's very close friend, Bible study partner, etc. (Mark Campbell) as an assistant coach just a month before he got the verbal from Tinsley. There was a big story in the Oregonian about it... I can't link it anymore, though, because it's gone to subscription only. But I know it was posted on here when it came out. Just in and of itself, that raises some eyebrows, because the guy he hired (Campbell) was a former player from Hawaii who graduated a few years ago and was an assistant coach at Clackamas Community College here in the Portland area... not exactly a hot-shot job. So why would a guy with no coaching pedigree and very limited experience get a sweet job at Pepperdine? It's GOT to be the connection with Tinsley. And that article also said that Campbell was travelling with Tinsley on the AAU circuit (he was a coach)... something I imagine wouldn't have been allowed had he been hired by Pepperdine in, say, April as opposed to late July. So the timing of that is questionable too... it's not like someone quit just a week or two before they hired Campbell. There had been an opening for a long time. Makes you wonder if there was an agreement in place prior to his hiring.

And I also know that he brought in three kids from the same high school (Crawford) in San Diego, one of whom just happened to be the coach's son. They also accepted a transfer of the coach's other son. So that means they brought in two kids of a coach (Terry Tucker) who just so happened to have two big time prospects (Tyrone Shelly and Malcolm Thomas) on his team. (Two big time prospects who followed him by transferring to Crawford, by the way, so he obviously has big pull on them.) Rico Tucker from Minnesota was a legit player/prospect, but the other son (Tyler) was considered maybe a low major prospect (he's 5'9") but somehow ended up with a scholarship from Pepperdine.

Is any of this against NCAA rules? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact of the matter is that it seems like all of his big prospects have a bit of stain... either brining in a Bible study partner or coming along with the son of their high school coach. Just seems fishy to me.

pdine
08-20-2007, 11:59 PM
He's just creating a family atmosphere, sheesh. :)

Shelley is a cousin of Rico/Tyler. You'll have a field day if/when we get a verbal out of '08 offer Klay Thompson, brother of '07 signee Mychal Thompson. Or if Jason Walberg can't get a medical redshirt granted to play next year, and wants to help his own father on the bench.

lothar98zag
08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Well look... obviously I don't know any insider info. But I have been skeptical of Walberg for a while, and I tried to do a lot of research for this response...

...Just seems fishy to me.

Thanks for the reply. Might be worth keeping an eye on things down there...or not. We'll see...

cbbfanatic
08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THAT HAWK!!!

I cannot wait until St Joe's is in the Kennel again. i will get that Hawk's autograph.

3 plus solid hours of flapping...impressive!

he gets a full scholarship for that. well, might not include room & board, but i've heard numerous times that the mascot gets a very serious scholarship, possibly full, for that ridiculous flapping.

they should save some of that scholarship money and buy a real mascot costume that doesnt look like some piece of crap a mom made for her kid to wear once for halloween...

lothar98zag
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Hawk info:

wikipedia LINK (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/The_Hawk_(St._Joseph's))