PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Triano is a Zag

ZagNative
07-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Rem tweeted tonight:
Rem Bakamus ‏@Rem15Bakamus 1h

Hanging with the bros @RyanEdwards44 @dustintriano and Luke, and more. Follow the new Zags!

I was surprised to discover Dustin Triano is Jay Triano's son. Nice! Suppose we'll see Dustin walk on this year?

(And nice to see Rem taking charge of the newbies and making them comfortable. Good job, Rem!

thespywhozaggedme
07-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Rem tweeted tonight:

I was surprised to discover Dustin Triano is Jay Triano's son. Nice! Suppose we'll see Dustin walk on this year?

(And nice to see Rem taking charge of the newbies and making them comfortable. Good job, Rem!

Always have to have two Canucks on the roster at all times. :) All kidding aside, I know nothing about him, do you have any high school stats on him?

thespywhozaggedme
07-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Rem tweeted tonight:

Oh and to answer your question, I assumed he was walking on because Rem tweeted "follow the new Zags"

VinnyZag
07-04-2013, 07:31 AM
I was hoping this was GU's Kuso-like third big, but he's a 6-2 point guard. Sigh.

cjm720
07-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Welcome, Dustin!!!

Goshzagit
07-04-2013, 08:16 AM
definitely shows promise as a shooter and floor leader.

fwiw, he was a regular contributor and rotation guy for New Hampton Prep -- one of the top-tier basketball schools in the nation. Located in New Hampshire. They travel, play the top ranked schools, and face off vs Top-25 rated players game in and game out. Prospects from all over the nation come to play for them.

They, including Dustin, played on ESPN this last January. They played Anthony Wiggins team, Huntington Prep. Dustin played and scored.

I believe he averaged around 8 ppg and was known as the best pure shooter on their team. Apparently, very good shooting off the dribble.

This kid has skills and can't deny his tremendous experience. Not to mention a Coaches' son and we seems o do OK with those type of players.

He may not have been recruited heavily or even D1 at this point in time, yet his teammates are going to schools such as Creighton, Georgia Tech, Boston College, etc etc. Several starters on his team are playing D1 now or soon and he still cracked the lineup.

Dustin was New Hampton's 'sniper' off the bench. Have only seen bits and pieces on Youtube, but mostly just heard of him.

Prior to playing Prep, he was a 3-year starter at PG for his school in Canada, name escapes me. Also Team Captain.

The New Hampton Coach says he is a terrific leader, great bball IQ, and direct quote, "student of the game". His shooting and handles speak for themselves.

An interesting prospect, solid height, coaches son(father was head coach or Toronto Raptors), can shoot lights out, and is considered a leader in the locker room and the floor.

Oh ya, even though he wasn't a start, he was elected Team Captain by New Hampton Prep, again one of the premier basketball prep schools in the land.

A great walk-on to have, and especially as a Zag.

ps. he also adores film making and working with all that techy stuff, which will fit in nicely with Barham, Pangos, and Rem.

HenneZag
07-04-2013, 08:22 AM
It seems we already have a number of walk-ons. Rem/Bhaskar/Connor Griffin/Triano.

Can this even be possible, or does one have to take up a scholarship?

VinnyZag
07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
It seems we already have a number of walk-ons. Rem/Bhaskar/Connor Griffin/Triano.

Can this even be possible, or does one have to take up a scholarship?

I know they can't all suit up. But I don't know if there's any limit on how many can practice with the team.

MDABE80
07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
This kid might surprise us.....I hope he does. If he is a walk on, notice that we've had extraordinary luck with our walkon kids.
His experience and pedigree is quite good. We've never gone wrong with Coach's kids.

Welcome to Dustin!

BobZag
07-04-2013, 09:59 AM

fwiw, he was a regular contributor and rotation guy for New Hampton Prep -- one of the top-tier basketball schools in the nation. Located in New Hampshire. They travel, play the top ranked schools, and face off vs Top-25 rated players game in and game out. Prospects from all over the nation come to play for them.

They, including Dustin, played on ESPN this last January. They played Anthony Wiggins team, Huntington Prep. Dustin played and scored.

I believe he averaged around 8 ppg and was known as the best pure shooter on their team. Apparently, very good shooting off the dribble.

This kid has skills and can't deny his tremendous experience. Not to mention a Coaches' son and we seems o do OK with those type of players.

He may not have been recruited heavily or even D1 at this point in time, yet his teammates are going to schools such as Creighton, Georgia Tech, Boston College, etc etc. Several starters on his team are playing D1 now or soon and he still cracked the lineup.

Dustin was New Hampton's 'sniper' off the bench. Have only seen bits and pieces on Youtube, but mostly just heard of him.

Prior to playing Prep, he was a 3-year starter at PG for his school in Canada, name escapes me. Also Team Captain.

The New Hampton Coach says he is a terrific leader, great bball IQ, and direct quote, "student of the game". His shooting and handles speak for themselves.

An interesting prospect, solid height, coaches son(father was head coach or Toronto Raptors), can shoot lights out, and is considered a leader in the locker room and the floor.

Oh ya, even though he wasn't a start, he was elected Team Captain by New Hampton Prep, again one of the premier basketball prep schools in the land.

ps. he also adores film making and working with all that techy stuff, which will fit in nicely with Barham, Pangos, and Rem.

Nice. Sounds like a solid walkon, for sure. Thanks.

ZagNative
07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I know they can't all suit up. But I don't know if there's any limit on how many can practice with the team.Darnit! I know I've looked up the NCAA rule before, but now I can't lay my hands on it.

FWIW, my recollection is that there's no limit on the number of walk-ons a team can have, but only two can be on the travel squad, which is limited to 15 players.

Goshzagit, thanks for the excellent information!

Oregonzagnut
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Rashad McCants went to New Hampton Prep as well. The school barely has 350 students and the wiki page says the faculty to student ratio is 1-5.

What are the odds he will redshirt?

Welcome Dustin! Follow the path of Bankhead and Hart and you may win a starting spot.

nonzagzag
07-04-2013, 01:09 PM
previously played for South Delta in B.C.

dad is current national team coach, of course

Worthington
07-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a good pickup!

Plus, his papa is currently coaching the Canadian Development team featuring Kevin Pangos and Kyle Wiltjer :clap:

OZZY
07-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Welcome Dustin,

You sound like a great addition to the team, real Zag material, another BC boy and son of a Canadian basketball legend. Dad Jay as has been mentioned is the current Canadian National team coach but there is more........

Another Wiltjer connection....................

Dad Jay and Kyle's dad Greg played Olympic ball (and other tournaments) together on the Canadian team in the eary 1980s!

HenneZag
07-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Tried to find some video on him but it was very minimal. So I will take everyones word for it. Good genes and basketball IQ from the sounds of it. More importantly it keeps that Canada connection strong for the future. Definitely a smart thing considering the talent that is coming out of Canada now.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Welcome Dustin,

You sound like a great addition to the team, real Zag material, another BC boy and son of a Canadian basketball legend. Dad Jay as has been mentioned is the current Canadian National team coach but there is more........

Another Wiltjer connection....................

Dad Jay and Kyle's dad Greg played Olympic ball (and other tournaments) together on the Canadian team in the eary 1980s!

Seriously? As if THIS would make the difference? We are making way too big of a deal of Wiltjer... my goodness.

kitzbuel
07-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Great stuff, Gosh. Sounds like he could be setting himself up for a coaching career, too.

gamagin
07-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Excellent report.