PDA

View Full Version : OT - NBA players fined for UW Alumni game

GoZags
07-03-2013, 10:44 AM
$15k each

Ouch

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-fines-players-for-playing-in-washington-alumni-game-055957949.html

LongIslandZagFan
07-03-2013, 10:45 AM
More proof that Romar is an idiot,

kyle dixon
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Agreed with LI Zag. Further, wouldn't you think the NBA players agents would understand the rules as well?

sittingon50
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
How soon 'til the Death Penalty?

:mecry:

cjm720
07-03-2013, 11:53 AM
I was pretty impressed the event sold out and they were sending people away at the door...perhaps some past players bought the tix, but getting people in the seats was quite impressive.

I like Coach Romar...one of the truly admirable men out there IMO. (Of course I would hold him in higher esteem if he didn't run from our series!)

MTZag03
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I was pretty impressed the event sold out and they were sending people away at the door...perhaps some past players bought the tix, but getting people in the seats was quite impressive.

I like Coach Romar...one of the truly admirable men out there IMO. (Of course I would hold him in higher esteem if he didn't run from our series!)

You like Romar? All he can do is recruit. He's not a very good coach, but at least he doesn't have any scandals. He seems like a relatively decent guy.

I pretty much don't like him because of what he said about Gonzaga and discontinuing the series because they want a national schedule. That is why it was so sweet to see them lose at home to Albany or whoever it was this year.

LongIslandZagFan
07-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Agreed with LI Zag. Further, wouldn't you think the NBA players agents would understand the rules as well?

Yep.. They're culpable too. Wonder if they all have the same agent and if their agents are paying the fine for them.

zag944
07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Obviously they should have done their due diligence in setting up the game, especially the players who are held to a collective bargaining agreement. But while I really dislike the Huskies, some of the players that participated in this game especially, their heart was in the right place and they really did the fans in this area a solid. Personally I'm dying to get the NBA back.

It's a pretty obnoxious and petty fine in my opinion. A warning for future games of the sort would suffice, but whatever, I would expect nothing less from a league run by such a despicable person.

cjm720
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
You like Romar? All he can do is recruit. He's not a very good coach, but at least he doesn't have any scandals. He seems like a relatively decent guy.

I pretty much don't like him because of what he said about Gonzaga and discontinuing the series because they want a national schedule. That is why it was so sweet to see them lose at home to Albany or whoever it was this year.

I've never met him in person and have only listened/read interviews with/about him. Removing the Gonzaga part of the equation, the guy is a very unpretentious and thoughtful man that really cares for his kids and community. Sure a lot of coaches are like that, but something with him is so genuine. Plus I like his story....was going to be a minister then got a call, and overnight he practically became a coach...

As far as the fines, I'm guessing the players knew...cost 'em more than $15K just to get back to Seattle...drop in the bucket.

BoZarth
07-03-2013, 01:30 PM
You like Romar? All he can do is recruit. He's not a very good coach, but at least he doesn't have any scandals.

Guess that depends on how you define scandals but getting caught also can set you straight.

http://sportspressnw.com/2111911/2011/dybas-ncaa-cites-chillious-for-secondary-violation

From the article:

This is the second time Washington has been cited for recruiting violations since head coach Lorenzo Romar took over prior to the 2002-03 season. Former assistant coach Cameron Dollar was suspended for a month and cited for committing at least 28 recruiting violations in 2002.

Interestingly Jordan Tebbutt is mentioned in the article and you don't need to look too far on GU Boards to show that Little 'ol GU is recruiting JT.

Go Zags!!!!

maynard g krebs
07-03-2013, 01:58 PM
15k is chump change to an NBA player, first of all. I probably miss the dollar I give the homeless guy at the stoplight more.

I'm no UW fan, but read a little about this game, and a couple players came halfway around the world to be there. Pretty cool imo. From what I read I doubt these guys mind the 15k and would do it again.

GU fans love to talk about community; in this case gotta give credit where credit is due.

And David Stern is still an ahole.

Rangerzag
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Obviously, this is all Mark Few's fault ;^)

sullyzag66
07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
15k is chump change to an NBA player, first of all. I probably miss the dollar I give the homeless guy at the stoplight more.

I'm no UW fan, but read a little about this game, and a couple players came halfway around the world to be there. Pretty cool imo. From what I read I doubt these guys mind the 15k and would do it again.

GU fans love to talk about community; in this case gotta give credit where credit is due.

And David Stern is still an ahole.
That's the real story here.

gu03alum
07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
David Stern is a Dick and is the only person I truly hate. When he dies, which I hope is soon, I will make a trip to wherever they bury that sorry sob and piss on his grave.

maynard g krebs
07-03-2013, 05:25 PM
David Stern is a Dick and is the only person I truly hate. When he dies, which I hope is soon, I will make a trip to wherever they bury that sorry sob and piss on his grave.

poop works better. more visible and longer lasting. and if you hang around, maybe you can get some laughs watching silver or whatever his name is come stomp it out.