PDA

View Full Version : The PC Police

realtydog
07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Gone are the days of playing tag at recess because the fat kids always remain "it" Gone are the days of "sticks and stones" because now words hurt and we need a 30 day supply of Prozac to deal with a boss that is rough Gone are the days of dealing with a personal matter face to face, instead turn to faceless texting Gone are the days of personal responsibility

I'm not a proponent of foul language or personal attacks that center on items that are "uncontrollable" ie who your family is, your skin color, etc. But being critical about how someone carries oneself is fine with me. Step into a high school today and take the temperature of what is going on with kids today. They wont work, they want but have no desire to earn, they lack respect, and if you are critical they wilt or get pissed at you for pointing out what is most likely the truth...very sad

On the "Rumors" thread someone inserted a link to a news story about Vander Blue changing his commitment to Wisconsin based on message boards. That was an attempt to tell/show this board that it should stay away from anything that wasn't "positive" I guess. My issue with this was the kid. What kind of kid listens to a few couch potatoes and changes schools---Well kids like Vander--part of the group I listed above--a head case, trouble off the court, quits school early because he thinks his star is brighter than it is--no thanks Vander...go elsewhere, if you can't take a few insults by the beer league how can you deal with other adversity that is coming your way???...not well

Sorry--not meant to be a diatribe---I just think it's funny that players/recruits/related families go to message boards in the first place--these boards are for (fan)atics--that know zip most of the time about anything (me included)----but we all know why they come--

bartruff1
07-03-2013, 10:10 AM
If posters would simply limit their comments to what they would say to a person's face it would be a huge step in the right direction...

Ezag
07-03-2013, 10:14 AM
If posters would simply limit their comments to what they would say to a person's face it would be a huge step in the right direction...

fat chance on that.

I think our message board is pretty tame (even after a loss) then most other major program forums are most of the time. I don't think fan posts really prevent any recruit from choosing a particular program.

realtydog
07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
these are anonymous boards---easy to be tough, rough, and ready---not like dealing with people face to face or even in type when they know your name--why would anyone value this type of anonymous venue for honest opinion?

ZagNative
07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm bored with this topic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Yh5yD9HZCo4/S1JEmlSCZcI/AAAAAAAAEFM/P_eNrBOVEUU/s350/Get%2520over%2520it.jpg

Ezag
07-03-2013, 10:20 AM
I have been bored on here since March 23rd....

bartruff1
07-03-2013, 10:20 AM
It is cowardly...I would like to see someone in here tell Harris he choked or doesn't have any cajones....

titopoet
07-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm bored with this topic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Yh5yD9HZCo4/S1JEmlSCZcI/AAAAAAAAEFM/P_eNrBOVEUU/s350/Get%2520over%2520it.jpg

This is disappointing. What!! These two aren't even eating tacos.
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/tacos-de-lengua-heather-calderon.jpg

Kiddwell
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Step into a high school today and take the temperature of what is going on with kids today. They wont work, they want but have no desire to earn, they lack respect, and if you are critical they wilt or get pissed at you for pointing out what is most likely the truth...very sad

Realty, here's a bit of reality vis-a-vis today's high schoolers. I deal with a fair share of them every year. Two of those who've enriched my life are at Harvard right now. Another pair are at Stanford. One was accepted by Stanford but chose LMU because she wanted to stay close to her little sis and family. There's even one now at GU (and another on the way this fall). A bazillion more are at New York University, UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Baylor, Oregon, George Washington, etc., etc. One is now a commissioned officer in the United States Navy (and another a soon-to-be West Pointer).

My point? Don't paint all kids with the same broad brush, please. The kids I know are on the whole goal-oriented, hard-working, and respectful. Kind of like those "bigger kids" we love and root for on the GU men and women's basketball teams.

Peace.

:]

DarkZagRises
07-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Don't want to risk igniting any more fires on here but am genuinely curious about something.

I don't have an educated opinion on the censorship, MUCH less do I have the same on the topic on everyone's minds. That's why I read the info on this board. I do agree that nothing derogatory should be said about anyone unless there are facts present. As passionately as some folks were writing things yesterday, I would definitely hope they had solid info.

What I am wondering about is how "sensitive" information ever gets out in the first place? At least this quickly. That's assuming it's true or partly true to begin with... Seems like 3 or 4 posters "in the know" have been commenting on these proceedings with a lot of implied authority, yet none of it adds up.

Being one of those assuredly not in any inner circles, I do look to this board for latest news etc. on what's going on. Sure anyone can spout crazy things on here but when those who usually "know" say something, it's gonna grab everyone's attention.

Guess my question is this - if some of this is so inflammatory and treacherous for our program, how's it getting to this board so quickly and why? Or are there people who are seriously trading in misinformation?

realtydog
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
agreed--but I hope you assumed that I was not literally talking about 100% of the kids---and please don't assume that just because a kid is in college they are "goal-oriented, hard-working, and respectful" --didn't some college kids just beat the hell out of a teacher in Pullman

Kiddwell
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
agreed--but I hope you assumed that I was not literally talking about 100% of the kids

Thanks. Have a great day, RD.

:]

doctorzag
07-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Gone are the days of playing tag at recess because the fat kids always remain "it" Gone are the days of "sticks and stones" because now words hurt and we need a 30 day supply of Prozac to deal with a boss that is rough Gone are the days of dealing with a personal matter face to face, instead turn to faceless texting Gone are the days of personal responsibility

I'm not a proponent of foul language or personal attacks that center on items that are "uncontrollable" ie who your family is, your skin color, etc. But being critical about how someone carries oneself is fine with me. Step into a high school today and take the temperature of what is going on with kids today. They wont work, they want but have no desire to earn, they lack respect, and if you are critical they wilt or get pissed at you for pointing out what is most likely the truth...very sad

On the "Rumors" thread someone inserted a link to a news story about Vander Blue changing his commitment to Wisconsin based on message boards. That was an attempt to tell/show this board that it should stay away from anything that wasn't "positive" I guess. My issue with this was the kid. What kind of kid listens to a few couch potatoes and changes schools---We'll kids like Vander--part of the group I listed above--a head case, trouble off the court, quits school early because he thinks his star is brighter than it is--no thanks Vander...go elsewhere, if you can't take a few insults by the beer league how can you deal with other adversity that is coming your way???...not well

Sorry--not meant to be a diatribe---I just think it's funny that players/recruits/related families go to message boards in the first place--these boards are for (fan)atics--that know zip most of the time about anything (me included)----but we all know why they come--

Excellent post.

ZagMania
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
An off season of fairly little news and you skip reading the boards for one day, and apparently you miss something. Ugh.

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-03-2013, 11:20 AM
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/default/files/images/users/cajunbuckeye/yawn1.gif

SteelCityZag
07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Social media, blogs, message boards: we live in a strange new world where we are all consumers and purveyors of media content.

If I were a network or a big newspaper, and I printed a bunch of lies about somebody, especially a public figure, I would most certainly be sued for libel. Slander would come my way if I spoke ill of someone. Both fall under defamation of character.

Put it all together and this just has me wondering how long it will be until there laws put into place to protect people's reputation against those who carelessly will trash someone, say untrue things about them, and spew the kinds of hurtful baseless opinions across whatever platform they might have at their disposal. without a second thought as to how it might affect that person.

Opinion is protected as freedom of speech (and freedom of the press) under the First Amendment. Slander and Libel are excluded from this protection. It has very little to do with political correctness.

Ekrub
07-03-2013, 12:21 PM
... So is wiltjer not coming or still deciding? Would really like him...

MTZag03
07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Being one of those assuredly not in any inner circles, I do look to this board for latest news etc. on what's going on. Sure anyone can spout crazy things on here but when those who usually "know" say something, it's gonna grab everyone's attention.

Guess my question is this - if some of this is so inflammatory and treacherous for our program, how's it getting to this board so quickly and why? Or are there people who are seriously trading in misinformation?

Yep. I'm in the same boat. I have no inner circle connections nor do I claim to. I come here for news plain and simple. I listen to BZ and others in the hopes of getting something that I can't get anywhere else.

Seriously, do you guys realize how bad sites like ESPN and the rest really are when it comes to analysis of GU basketball?

So yes, I hope that those inner circle guys are in fact not misinforming us. I rely on this board to get through downtime at work. If all I'm getting is BS, I'll stick to TSSF and semi-weekly articles.

gozagswoohoo
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
"You kinda have to just be careful about some stuff you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

zagfan24
07-03-2013, 12:40 PM
There sure are a lot of folks on here who act entitled to receiving the information from those on the "inside." The site admins/mods and others with inside info don't owe us anything, and I for one am appreciative for the times when they share what they can. I know they often toe the line of what they are allowed to share -- knowing that crossing said line can mean the pipeline of inside info gets shut off completely, for which we would all be worse off.

If you feel okay about criticizing a KID on the internet, that's your choice...but suggesting that these kids/families should just brush it off is naive and antithetical to everything GU stands for as a community. That's just my opinion.

cjm720
07-03-2013, 12:56 PM
There sure are a lot of folks on here who act entitled to receiving the information from those on the "inside." The site admins/mods and others with inside info don't owe us anything, and I for one am appreciative for the times when they share what they can. I know they often toe the line of what they are allowed to share -- knowing that crossing said line can mean the pipeline of inside info gets shut off completely, for which we would all be worse off.

If you feel okay about criticizing a KID on the internet, that's your choice...but suggesting that these kids/families should just brush it off is naive and antithetical to everything GU stands for as a community. That's just my opinion.

Good post. I'd add that I take everythign written here with a grain of salt...doesn't matter who it's from...sure some may sway a belief more, largely because of concrete info. This post would be remiss without a shout out to ZN for all she does.

MTZag03
07-03-2013, 01:17 PM

I'm assuming that this was in reference to me and others. I by no means feel entitled to anything that some of the mods and insiders say. I love what they post. That's why I come here! I wish I could contribute like they could.

I just stated that I hope that what I hear is correct since I can only assume it is.

Me, I love the rumor mill. It's fun, at least until things get personal regarding potential players.

cjm720
07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I just stated that I hope that what I hear is correct since I can only assume it is.

My mama told me to never believe anything on the internet. :)

Zag 77
07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Will we ever get to discuss what Kelly Olynyk got suspended for in the first 3 games of this past season? After all, he is gone from GU and has his multi-million dollar contract from the NBA. Can't be any worse than what Josh Heytvelt did and everybody knows that story.

Or at least maybe the mods can give us a target date as to when it can be discussed. Hell even the CIA and NSA have leaks about more serious matters.

MaroonZag22
07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Gone are the days of dealing with a personal matter face to face, instead turn to faceless texting Gone are the days of personal responsibility

I'm sorry...but right here you make it hard for anyone to take the rest of your post seriously. You say that kids are getting their feelings hurt but complain about faceless texting and personal responsibility. You realize that by coming to a message board and using a screen name you are a faceless text who is getting rid of personal responsibility. And you are talking about kids who are twenty-two years or younger. Being as I am still just twenty-six, maybe I have a better idea of what it is like to be a high school or college age student. The truth is, they haven't fully matured, and they are more likely to be hurt by comments on these boards. Then add to it that it is easier to take criticism from someone who you can give a real name to so you can determine if they are just a foolish couch potato who couldn't make a D III team on their best day or someone who actually knows what they are talking about. In my opinion, I think we should give these kids a break and have the adults act like adults and let the kids act like 16 to 22 year old kids who are trying to figure out what they still want to do with their lives. Seriously, give me a break!

doctorzag
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
It is cowardly...I would like to see someone in here tell Harris he choked or doesn't have any cajones....

Its a message board kid. People are entitled to their opinions. If your feelings are going to get hurt dont come on here.

BroncoZAG615
07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
There is a big difference between questioning how someone plays on the court and gossiping about how someone behaves off of it.

The thread yesterday crossed a major line in my eyes for several reasons. I hate things like the Meech and Austin bashing but yesterday was the first time when I have felt ashamed to have an account.

I'm sick of this topic too but I hope it is clear that yesterday had nothing to do with being PC.

bartruff1
07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Its a message board kid. People are entitled to their opinions. If your feelings are going to get hurt dont come on here.

After Middle School you may see things differently...

gu03alum
07-03-2013, 04:45 PM
After Middle School you may see things differently...

When I was in middle school the teacher thought I had got poop all over the floor when i came in from recess even though I didn't. He yelled at me and made me clean it up while he taught the lesson. I cried.

Sometimes I wonder if the mods cry when they have to clean up the poop other people smear on the boards.

maynard g krebs
07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers." -Socrates

Two generations like this, 2000+ years apart. What a coincidence.

Or not.

Tom Rush lyrics, ca. 1968
Kids These Days

kids these days, they don't value a dollar
they don't like chewin, but they sure can swallow
wadn't that way in my younger days
they'z sumthin' wrong with kids these days

times ain't now buddy like they used to be
times ain't now buddy like they used to be
I'd have more fun but the women are so hard to please

let it burn (repeat)

well old folks (heh heh)they sure are crazy
they stop and they talk, and they callin me lazy
when I get grown they'll be some changes made
they's just sumthin' wrong with folks these days

they'll be better times but I'm gettin' by with these
they'll be better times but I'm gettin' by with these
I'd have more fun but the women are so hard to please

let it burn...............

Sometimes the "original post" is less than original.

maynard g krebs
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
And while I'm at it, my hard earned 2000 posts is down to 1993, thanks to somebody not keeping his big mouth shut :) It's almost like Animal House, with Belushi's "seven years of college down the drain".

Oregonzagnut
07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
This should be in the Crosby anyway, so I will make this as un-PC as I can and bring in something far more important than basketball.

Politically incorrect is by definition usually correct in the real world. It is just not popular and therefore deemed FALSE because it is unpopular and not what we want to be true. PC is a simply a tool to further falsehoods to achieve political goals.

Case in point: The greatest threat to EVERY form of human rights is violently taking over power in the middle east. Religious debate is off limits even though it is the cause of most violence and hate today. Politicians, religions and special interest groups use social embarrassment as their weapon of choice to keep us from debating and communicating to solve problems and find facts. The consequences of NOT using speech to solve our differences leaves only destructive alternatives. Yet we are making speech illegal as we speak. Pun intended. When we attack each other for speaking truthfully even if it is offensive or unpopular, we deny the journey towards truth and the healthy and happy human condition.

there. How politically incorrect is that?

This thread will make everyone forget about Wiltjer threads.

ZagNative
07-03-2013, 06:37 PM
OZN, what the hell are you talking about?

Edited to add: That is a rhetorical question only. Don't answer. I'm begging you....

MTZag03
07-03-2013, 07:07 PM
This should be in the Crosby anyway, so I will make this as un-PC as I can and bring in something far more important than basketball.

Politically incorrect is by definition usually correct in the real world. It is just not popular and therefore deemed FALSE because it is unpopular and not what we want to be true. PC is a simply a tool to further falsehoods to achieve political goals.

Case in point: The greatest threat to EVERY form of human rights is violently taking over power in the middle east. Religious debate is off limits even though it is the cause of most violence and hate today. Politicians, religions and special interest groups use social embarrassment as their weapon of choice to keep us from debating and communicating to solve problems and find facts. The consequences of NOT using speech to solve our differences leaves only destructive alternatives. Yet we are making speech illegal as we speak. Pun intended. When we attack each other for speaking truthfully even if it is offensive or unpopular, we deny the journey towards truth and the healthy and happy human condition.

there. How politically incorrect is that?

This thread will make everyone forget about Wiltjer threads.

I follow. I'm not sure I agree. It makes me think of how I passed 300+ level philosophy at Gonzaga. On the tests, just disagree with the premises rather than dispute the meat of the argument. It's a sure B.

DixieZag
07-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, personally, I like Maynard's view (as I always do). Every single generation of young think the ones before them are old and don't understand the world, the older ones always think the young are shiftless and don't measure up.

Me, I go yell at clouds.

And, I agree that amateur athletes should not be criticized personally, that is the hard and fast rule in the media. This was slightly different in that, at least for me, it was the father's statements that I had issues with. He is not a kid and he is the one who went to the media - no pass from me.

willandi
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
And, I agree that amateur athletes should not be criticized personally, that is the hard and fast rule in the media. This was slightly different in that, at least for me, it was the father's statements that I had issues with. He is not a kid and he is the one who went to the media - no pass from me.

Agree that these young people should not be overly criticized. And yet...it was the student athlete that raised the entire issue, and the father that went to the media. Is there no way to do this quietly?

Oregonzagnut
07-03-2013, 07:32 PM
OZN, what the hell are you talking about?

Edited to add: That is a rhetorical question only. Don't answer. I'm begging you....

I won't. It was an analogy......Logic 101. Truth is often denied by those who do not want to be responsible for it.

DixieZag
07-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I won't. It was an analogy......Logic 101. Truth is often denied by those who do not want to be responsible for it.

Ease up there bud. It is a difference in view and is opinion, those that are most sure their opinion is right are often the most dangerous - not open to evolving.

Anyway, I am nearly certain that all will press on just fine, including us, God knows the season can't start fast enough.

Oregonzagnut
07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Just a perspective reminder on this board. We have gotten short sighted lately. At least I know the ladies don't have me ignored. Somehow I feel validation knowing that I am not on the very bottom of their barrel.

edited to say: ZN and DZ, next time I will just come out and say, "Lets gain some perspective."