PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits from Gonzaga Camp pickup ball

americasteam
07-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Anyone been to the evening sessions with the current Zags and old dogs?

Couple of thoughts....Ryan Edwards has been in the house. Looking pretty good close in. Reminds me of Shem last summer - pretty solid right around the basket. Nothing fancy. Dan Dickau likes him. Went up and introduced himself to Ryan on Monday, after calling him "Big Guy" for part of the time. Was complimentary of his play.

Lots of good play. The old dogs were really strong. Heytvelt, Stephen Gray and Dickau all were lights out. As for the current Zags, Gary Bell Jr was there but not playing. Nursing an injury possibly? Stockton looking good, running the show although he was going up against Dan, and well, Dan still seems to be in his prime. Dower was a scoring machine. Seemed like he scored every time he touched the ball.

Looking forward to others' comments about the players (MDAbe - have you been there yet?)

Reborn
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Dower was a scoring machine. Seemed like he scored every time he touched the ball.

Looking forward to others' comments about the players (MDAbe - have you been there yet?)

This doesn't surprise me about Dower. I recently wrote part of a post about him. I'm looking forward to Sam having a great year.

ZagNative
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I love these reports! Thanks for posting!

HenneZag
07-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I would love to be able to watch these guys scrimmage, looking forward to these reports, especially Coleman/Nunez.

MDABE80
07-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I didn't know we could go! They kinda ushered people out last year. I'd be happy to see the kids at work.
Is it open to us?

NotoriousZ
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I love these reports! Thanks for posting!

Keep 'em coming! I can't wait to hear about Karnowski, his 2nd year development could be huge for us.

ZagNative
07-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Keep 'em coming! I can't wait to hear about Karnowski, his 2nd year development could be huge for us.I think we won't see Karnowski around campus until September. He's playing for the Polish U20 team the next couple of weeks, and then he'll be joining the Polish Senior Men's National Team from July 23 until early September.

DixieZag
07-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Wow, I guess it is that time of year. Thanks for the posts.

Would love to hear reports about both Coleman and Nunez. I don't know much about them and would love to hear what they are doing, how and if they are scoring.

good to hear that Steven is back - what a mentor for the young guys, not that any of them are bad influences.

Saxon_zag
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
This is going to be #35's year

ZagsZombieNation
07-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Last year was supposed to be Sam's breakout year but Kelly took his starting spot. But with much less competition for minutes in the front court, Sam should have his chance to shine. The key for him is being able to make a right hand jump hook.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Sam has the ability to score in bunches. Needs to work on some other moves for sure. He can also be foul prone in a short burst of time. Hoping he can work on that, because we our going to need him in the game.

Ezag
07-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Been hearing about Dower breakin' out seems like for years now so lets hope this is the time.

MTZag03
07-03-2013, 07:35 AM
I for one can't wait to see Coleman's effect on the bigs. His ability to penetrate will cause defenders to pull off their assignments leaving lots of open looks for Dower, Karno, and anyone else.

And yes, if Dower can use his R hand, and avoid fouls we're in great shape next year.

I remember last years Kraziness in the Kennel where Coleman was the most impressive player, and Dower shut down Karno on D. It was impressive.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Does anyone know if scrimmages may be open to the public? Im guessing not but if so I would love to make my way down there in the evenings to watch.

zag944
07-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Nursing an injury possibly?

GBJ has tweeted often about working out in the pool, which tells me he is still rehabbing an injury.

Hopefully he comes into the season 100%. I don't think we saw him play all that much last year when he wasn't dinged up and nursing something. Have to really applaud his toughness and effort.

americasteam
07-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know if scrimmages may be open to the public? Im guessing not but if so I would love to make my way down there in the evenings to watch.

I believe the players probably scrimmage most nights when they're in town. However, I only know how to get in during their High School Basketball Team Camps.

Team Camp #2 went from Sunday June 30 to today, July 3. The camp plays games in the evenings and it's really easy to get in as they allow parents, etc to come cheer on their kids games. So, I usually try to go to watch the final game of the night and then stick around to watch the Zags scrimmage. I felt less "sneaky" coming in early rather than just trying to get in right at the end. Just go in through the fieldhouse door and follow the signs to MAC court from there.

For instance, on Sunday night, the final high school game was from 9:00 to 10:00. Players started arriving the last 15 minutes or so, and fairly soon after the game they started their pickup ball. A lot of the parents hang around and watch, and players and teams that are playing on some of the other courts come in and watch also.

Nothing will be today as it is the final day of the camp, and it gets over midday. Then next Team Camp is Thurs July 18 - Sunday July 21. .

Zag 77
07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
You did not specify which one was playing. Even at 51 I think I would still take JS.

Vanzagger
07-03-2013, 09:46 AM
we got several skilled bigs with soft hands. Should equate to easy buckets. I hope the rooks are ready to step up for some fill in minutes or more.

Throw it down big fella

cjm720
07-03-2013, 10:34 AM
You did not specify which one was playing. Even at 51 I think I would still take JS.

I'd pay to see a one on one game...got to think the elder would do more than alright.

BobZag
07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Saw Karno before he left and he has really trimmed down and looks like he's in the midst of reshaping his body, ala Violette. Is quicker, more mobile, hoping he can make a jump of his own.

Looking forward to those FIBA reports, ZN. Thanks in advance.

zag944
07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I'd pay to see a one on one game...got to think the elder would do more than alright.

But would he pull out any of the dirty tricks he was so famous for in his NBA career?

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I believe the players probably scrimmage most nights when they're in town. However, I only know how to get in during their High School Basketball Team Camps.

Team Camp #2 went from Sunday June 30 to today, July 3. The camp plays games in the evenings and it's really easy to get in as they allow parents, etc to come cheer on their kids games. So, I usually try to go to watch the final game of the night and then stick around to watch the Zags scrimmage. I felt less "sneaky" coming in early rather than just trying to get in right at the end. Just go in through the fieldhouse door and follow the signs to MAC court from there.

For instance, on Sunday night, the final high school game was from 9:00 to 10:00. Players started arriving the last 15 minutes or so, and fairly soon after the game they started their pickup ball. A lot of the parents hang around and watch, and players and teams that are playing on some of the other courts come in and watch also.

Nothing will be today as it is the final day of the camp, and it gets over midday. Then next Team Camp is Thurs July 18 - Sunday July 21. .

I had yesterday and today off as well, I could have popped down there! So your pretty sure there's no scrimmages today huh? I guess why would their be if all of the kids were leaving, not like I could blend in with the crowd if their was a player scrimmage.

Zags11
07-03-2013, 10:42 PM
I love the reports!

americasteam
07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Hey- in case anyone's interested, the next team camp starts Thursday. The Zag players and former players help at the team camps and then get together for some pickup ball in the evening, partly for the benefit of those campers in attendance to see the college players and former college players in action.

It's some pretty good ball, generally more offensive oriented. Sometimes they even do some dunking displays. When certain players/former players are there, things are even more entertaining (Jeremy Pargo comes to mind!)

Schedule of camp:
Thursday July 18 MAC court: the last scheduled game by the high school players on this court is from 9:00 to 10:00. I would expect pickup ball to get going after that game is completed.

Friday July 19 MAC court: same as above

Saturday July 20 MAC court: last scheduled game is from 8:00 to 9:00. Not sure that they do pickup ball every night after camp is over for the day. I've never been there on the 3rd night of camp (just the 1st and 2nd night)

Sunday July 21 MAC court: the last game (championship game from the tournament), will start around 2:30. I don't believe they do pickup ball, as most of the high school players will be/have already left.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I usually try to go down for an earlier game and sit in the stands with the other parents who may have come to watch their kid play. Then I just stick around and watch the pickup ball.

DixieZag
07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
But would he pull out any of the dirty tricks he was so famous for in his NBA career?

Against his son? He would not only pull out his famous ones, he would invent new ones - - David's only hope would be to get Mom to come ref b/c lord knows whose side she would take if JS started getting chippy with DS.

primal23
07-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Against his son? He would not only pull out his famous ones, he would invent new ones - - David's only hope would be to get Mom to come ref b/c lord knows whose side she would take if JS started getting chippy with DS.

My guess the mom gene would kick in, and DS would get the calls lol

Zippyzaggy
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm gonna be there. I'll be the dude wearin Zag gear. And a gorilla costume.

MDABE80
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
This team this year will need a lot of our support.....support like showing up. Well done Zags fans!!

DixieZag
07-17-2013, 06:08 PM
My guess the mom gene would kick in, and DS would get the calls lol

That was kind of what I meant, but wrote it poorly (as usual). Yes, I agree, that is why I thought DS needed Mom there, when the game got physical and elbows were thrown by her husband against her son - - well, I know who is going to get the calls and who will be sleeping on the couch.

Oregonzagnut
07-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Keep 'em coming! I can't wait to hear about Karnowski, his 2nd year development could be huge for us.

Huge is right.

Huge man. Huge development. Huge production. I hope we see Dower throw down some pwnage all year and get some draft consideration.

americasteam
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
At the close of the first night of Team Camp number 3, the players started to roll in. About 10:00 or so, with about 200 kids in attendance from the camp who had already finished up their evening play, the pickup games began.

There were about 13-15 Zags/former Zags there. It was a relatively quiet evening with not as much craziness as I have seen other times. Just solid hard work and also some fun for the guys.

John Stockton had some nice dishes but also did a lot of mid-range shooting. Kyle Dranginis was very aggressive. He definitely doesn't appear shy about shooting, and driving hard to the basket. Drew Barham was shooting with little to no space between him and his defender. He looked as if that was what he was there to work on. He also did quite a bit of work going to the basket, whether it be driving and dishing or driving and pulling up. Looked extremely comfortable out there. Sam Dower was doing a combination of inside moves and also, some 12 to 15 foot shots. Can't recall if he did any hook shots using his right hand. Had a nice block sent midway up the stands that got a lot of oohs and ahhs. Gerard Coleman was the energizer bunny. I never saw him slow down one bit. He shot a bit from outside, although he's obviously more likely to drive to the basket. Hopefully, he's a good free throw shooter as he isn't afraid to go into a crowd!! At least a couple would've been called offensive, however. Of course with no coaches in attendance, and thus, no teaching going on, the play is usually a bit ragged.

The 2 new Zags were there - Lucas Meikle and Ryan Edwards. Lucas did work mostly inside, and had some nice moves against Casey Calvary. He also had to guard Ira Brown, which was not easy to do. Ira had a myriad of slams that wowed the crowd. Ira was on the "skins" team, and he looked buff (is that still a term?) Ira was easily the flash, and the kids loved it. Ryan worked hard in there, having to guard Sam and also a guy who I think was a 7 ' player for maybe EWU? Ryan was solid, gathering up a few rebounds, doing some basic low post moves. Again, nothing flashy. Had a nice block on Casey.

Gary Bell was there but sitting out. He is nursing a leg injury of some sort, although nothing appeared wrapped. Of course, Kevin and Shem are gone right now. Did not see Angel Nunez. Rem and Brian, walkons from last year, were also there. It's kind of fun to see their comfort level out there in pickup ball.

Big surprise for the night was when, at about 10:30, Kelly Olynyk walked into the gym. He was wearing a Boston Celtic t-shirt and emerald green basketball shorts. He sat over on the bench with the players out for that particular game of pickup. Not sure if he ever went in as I only stayed til about 10:45.

That's what I saw. Hope that helps.

Go Zags!

webspinnre
07-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Wonderful report, thanks!

Worthington
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
At the close of the first night of Team Camp number 3, the players started to roll in. About 10:00 or so, with about 200 kids in attendance from the camp who had already finished up their evening play, the pickup games began.

There were about 13-15 Zags/former Zags there. It was a relatively quiet evening with not as much craziness as I have seen other times. Just solid hard work and also some fun for the guys.

John Stockton had some nice dishes but also did a lot of mid-range shooting. Kyle Dranginis was very aggressive. He definitely doesn't appear shy about shooting, and driving hard to the basket. Drew Barham was shooting with little to no space between him and his defender. He looked as if that was what he was there to work on. He also did quite a bit of work going to the basket, whether it be driving and dishing or driving and pulling up. Looked extremely comfortable out there. Sam Dower was doing a combination of inside moves and also, some 12 to 15 foot shots. Can't recall if he did any hook shots using his right hand. Had a nice block sent midway up the stands that got a lot of oohs and ahhs. Gerard Coleman was the energizer bunny. I never saw him slow down one bit. He shot a bit from outside, although he's obviously more likely to drive to the basket. Hopefully, he's a good free throw shooter as he isn't afraid to go into a crowd!! At least a couple would've been called offensive, however. Of course with no coaches in attendance, and thus, no teaching going on, the play is usually a bit ragged.

The 2 new Zags were there - Lucas Meikle and Ryan Edwards. Lucas did work mostly inside, and had some nice moves against Casey Calvary. He also had to guard Ira Brown, which was not easy to do. Ira had a myriad of slams that wowed the crowd. Ira was on the "skins" team, and he looked buff (is that still a term?) Ira was easily the flash, and the kids loved it. Ryan worked hard in there, having to guard Sam and also a guy who I think was a 7 ' player for maybe EWU? Ryan was solid, gathering up a few rebounds, doing some basic low post moves. Again, nothing flashy. Had a nice block on Casey.

Gary Bell was there but sitting out. He is nursing a leg injury of some sort, although nothing appeared wrapped. Of course, Kevin and Shem are gone right now. Did not see Angel Nunez. Rem and Brian, walkons from last year, were also there. It's kind of fun to see their comfort level out there in pickup ball.

Big surprise for the night was when, at about 10:30, Kelly Olynyk walked into the gym. He was wearing a Boston Celtic t-shirt and emerald green basketball shorts. He sat over on the bench with the players out for that particular game of pickup. Not sure if he ever went in as I only stayed til about 10:45.

Go Zags!

Thanks so much for the tidbits, these kinds of things make my day!

DixieZag
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Seconded, just a wonderful breakdown, good to hear that Kelly is spending some time at "home" (I would not doubt that this becomes his off season home)

thespywhozaggedme
07-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Go Zags!

Thanks so much. love this stuff; keep it coming.

maynard g krebs
07-19-2013, 06:48 PM

Ditto.

Zag 77
07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Was that John Stockton or David Stockton?

americasteam
07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Was that John Stockton or David Stockton?

Oh my gosh, I am losin' it! I meant David Stockton, not John. I am so sorry I wrote John and made you think he was there.

Thanks, '77 , for pointing that out!

ZAGGED OUT
07-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Oh my gosh, I am losin' it! I meant David Stockton, not John. I am so sorry I wrote John and made you think he was there.

Thanks, '77 , for pointing that out!

Good to hear KD was aggressive, was he finishing his drives? Shooting well?

jazzdelmar
07-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Bell sure does sit a lot. Worrisome?

MDABE80
07-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Bell sure does sit a lot. Worrisome?

yep.

Larryzag
07-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Bell could red shirt, get healthy and work on his game. We have Coleman and it would give Drainginis a better chance to play. Then Bell comes back for a great 14/15 season. The question is what Coleman brings.

americasteam
07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Good to hear KD was aggressive, was he finishing his drives? Shooting well?

I'd say yes. He's making a good percentage of outside shots and scoring quite a bit inside. All kinds of varieties of shots. He appears extremely confident, and is organized in his thoughts and actions. Had a number of good assists, also. I think this should be a break out year for him.

I went again last night and saw pretty much the same thing from Kyle.

A couple more thoughts from the session last night:

Blake Stepp and Kelly Olynyk on the same team? Sound unfair to the other side? Yep, last night Blake was there and played an awesome point guard. Kelly was on the same team and they were pretty much unstoppable. Blake can still shoot it lights out and had some super slick passes. Kelly was hitting outside, mid range and lots of drives to the hoop. I'd say he held back a bit, at least as far as dunking was concerned. A couple of times it looked like there was going to be a big crash, and instead, Kelly did a step around euro-type move and avoided the conflict.

As for current players, saw the same players except Ryan Edwards and Drew Barham weren't there. Sam Dower looked good. So smooth, you sometimes don't think he's working very hard. Lucas played a stretch 4 and has a very nice outside shot. The night before he banged around inside as there were more post players there. (Casey Calvary and Ira Brown were both there the night before, but not last night). Gerard Coleman did a lot of passing last night. Only saw him drive a few times and shoot an outside shot a couple of times. DAVID Stockton looked like he was really going hard at Blake, many times riding him real tight as Blake was bringing the ball down the court. One time Blake was working up top with the ball and David stole it. Blake, who appeared disgusted with himself, then proceeded to steal it right back. It brought a few laughs, mostly from the older members of the crowd. Generally, in pickup ball you don't see as much defense as the ball is being brought down, but I think David's competitive nature kicked in.

As for Gary, I overheard him telling someone that everyday 'it' (his foot, I presume) gets a little better, and he expects to be out there soon.

Go Zags!

Hoopaholic
07-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Good to hear about kd

jazzdelmar
07-20-2013, 02:18 PM
KD got rave preseason reviews last year as well. When the klieg lights go on, that remains to be soon. He has the smarts, just seemed a step slow and hyper reluctant last year.

ZagFanInNC
07-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I for one can't wait to see Coleman's effect on the bigs. His ability to penetrate will cause defenders to pull off their assignments leaving lots of open looks for Dower, Karno, and anyone else.

And yes, if Dower can use his R hand, and avoid fouls we're in great shape next year.

I remember last years Kraziness in the Kennel where Coleman was the most impressive player, and Dower shut down Karno on D. It was impressive.

I saw him try to use it at least 4 times last year... better than the 0 times the two years prior.

It's not even that he needs to develop his right hand as much as he needs a solid move to his right (facing away from the basket) to hold the defender off a bit... maybe a running hook, he could still use his left.

ZagFanInNC
07-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Has Adam been at any of the pick up games or done anything with basketball this summer... I hoped he would give it one more year to try and make the league.

americasteam
07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Has Adam been at any of the pick up games or done anything with basketball this summer... I hoped he would give it one more year to try and make the league.

He was playing some pickup ball with the guys at either Team Camp 1 or 2. Can't remember which. He was asked if he was going to play anymore, either overseas or try for D-League, or try to make a roster, and he said no, he was done. He said he would be coaching with the Mead HS basketball team (his alma mater). I don't know if it's in an official capacity or not.

ZAGGED OUT
07-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Great news about KD, I think his lack of devolpement (by the staff) was our downfall last year. Barham is good but KD had a much wider skill set, it killed me to see him lose minutes to DB through the year. I really hope he finds the confidence, it's the only thing holding him back. At 6'5 with shooting, passing, and driving, that's a matchup nightmare.

SteelZag
07-20-2013, 07:30 PM
KD got rave preseason reviews last year as well. When the klieg lights go on, that remains to be soon. He has the smarts, just seemed a step slow and hyper reluctant last year.

I agree with everything you posted, but I still believe that KD, given a slightly longer leash, will become a productive Zag. I too cringed every time KD would defer to another player when he had an open shot. For some reason, some players seem so apprehensive about shooting and missing and getting pulled, that they end up dwelling on what they should have done and end up missing a defensive assignment, get pulled and lose confidence. If KD were to ever get some meaningful minutes, his skill set is a huge asset.

sittingon50
07-21-2013, 12:31 AM
32-3, #1 ranking. Too bad about that downfall.

Zippyzaggy
07-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Who is this guy? He played on the "shirts" in the scrims. Hmmmmm.

thespywhozaggedme
07-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Is that the big African people have been alluding to? Kuso v 2.0?

Goshzagit
07-21-2013, 08:58 AM

The reports are much appreciated by all. Great stuff! Please keep it coming at your convenience, because its awesome. Any deets during the off-season rock.

Having said that, we have multiple sightings, on-site reports, and in-person pics of said mystery fella, yet how'd he look? Is he tall? Athletic? Post, wing, or guard? Walk-on/transfer/JC/overseas player?

I understand if we don't have names, yet shocked no one noticed him on the floor earlier ?

Maybe he's just a fellow camper?

Any, I mean any information regarding the kid in the pic would be outstanding.

He looks pretty tall (6'6"ish), but really tough to accurately tell from this picture.

HenneZag
07-21-2013, 09:17 AM
I have been in Glacier Nat'l Park and Canada throughout the last week on vacation so I have been out of the loop. Are the scrimms over? I want to make some, perhaps today if they are going on. Im assuming their done.

-Side Note-
I sported some Zag Gear in Alberta and B.C. and It created alot of small talk form passer byers. Mostly "Go Zags" and convos about Pangos and Olynyk. It was fun to see all the fans across the border.

americasteam
07-21-2013, 09:26 AM
The reports are much appreciated by all. Great stuff! Please keep it coming at your convenience, because its awesome. Any deets during the off-season rock.

Having said that, we have multiple sightings, on-site reports, and in-person pics of said mystery fella, yet how'd he look? Is he tall? Athletic? Post, wing, or guard? Walk-on/transfer/JC/overseas player?

I understand if we don't have names, yet shocked no one noticed him on the floor earlier ?

Maybe he's just a fellow camper?

Any, I mean any information regarding the kid in the pic would be outstanding.

He looks pretty tall (6'6"ish), but really tough to accurately tell from this picture.

I was there both Thursday and Friday night and he was there, also. He didn't play either night, but would go out and shoot at the opposite end of the court during scrimmages. I was curious who he was, also. Interesting that he actually played last night. ZippyZaggy, how did he look?

He looks to be about 6' 5 or so, but real skinny legs. Maybe 180 lbs?

MTZag03
07-21-2013, 09:36 AM
I sported some Zag Gear in Alberta and B.C. and It created alot of small talk form passer byers. Mostly "Go Zags" and convos about Pangos and Olynyk. It was fun to see all the fans across the border.

Excellent. I love how GU is becoming Canada's team to a small degree. Only good can come from that, especially with the talent level in Canada really rising in recent years.

Pargo the Destroyer
07-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Excellent. I love how GU is becoming Canada's team to a small degree. Only good can come from that, especially with the talent level in Canada really rising in recent years.

But we're Americans......when was the last time Canada beat the US in anything basketball related.

thespywhozaggedme
07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
But we're Americans......when was the last time Canada beat the US in anything basketball related.

You mean other than last week in the World University Games?

Zippyzaggy
07-21-2013, 12:23 PM
I was there both Thursday and Friday night and he was there, also. He didn't play either night, but would go out and shoot at the opposite end of the court during scrimmages. I was curious who he was, also. Interesting that he actually played last night. ZippyZaggy, how did he look? He looks to be about 6' 5 or so, but real skinny legs. Maybe 180 lbs?

I'd estimate he was apporox. 6'5-6'6 ish. He played the 3 and hit a few nice jumpers, got a couple steals, a block too. He looked very good. He is definately lean. Not a big at all. A wing for sure.

I'd also say the top two players on the floor, other than KO, was Coleman and Dower. Coleman popping threes and getting to the bucket, and finishig, at will. Dower was going against KO and looked almost evenly matched. Up and unders, floaters, fadeaways, a deep three.

Bell sat in a chair the whole time.........This "mild break" is taking a LONG time to heal.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-21-2013, 12:59 PM
32-3, #1 ranking. Too bad about that downfall.

We lost in the round of 32 as a 1 seed, that was the downfall. He wasn't alluding the the program. If we developed KD and gave him the green light vs Wichita, we most likely wouldn't have lost.

We had depth at guard but didn't develop it and we paid the price.

HenneZag
07-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Im assuming it was while camp was in session, and now over? I was going to get down there tonight if its still going on, any info from someone on the board would be much appreciated.

Gracias!

ZagNative
07-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Schedule for camps (http://www.gonzagabasketballcamps.com/)

Looks to me like today is the last day for the current session.

HenneZag
07-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I may pop down there. But since its the last day im assuming they prob wont scrimmage since folks will be leaving.

sittingon50
07-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I really like KD but to say his lack of development cost GU in the Tourney? Perhaps, but you can't say that definitively.

The team had a .504 FG% for the year (good for 3rd in the NCAA). VS Wichita St. they shoot 35.6. What % would KD need to have shot to get them over the hump?

I would also contend that Gary being hurt in the 2nd half & the (subsequent) inability to guard the 3 had more to do with the outcome.

Without Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine, there is no way to know. But I am more confident in my assertions than I am in yours.

cggonzaga
07-21-2013, 04:08 PM
I think that's the point sitton. Had KD been brought along all year, losing Bell in the 2nd half wouldn't have been as big a blow.

Rio Runner
07-21-2013, 08:18 PM
C'mon guys. The revisionist history about the WSU game is getting silly. WSU hit 7 threes in the first half when Bell played and 7 threes in the second half when he didn't. And Bell was terrible prior to leaving the game. 0-2 from the field, 1 turnover, 0 points, 0 everything else. His absence did not lose the game for us. WSU took it to us, beat us fair and square, no excuses. They were the better team that night, period.

gonwick
07-21-2013, 08:53 PM
I recall, perhaps incorrectly, from that stinking pile of a game that gu did well with kd on the court, then he barely saw it for the second half. Few's tendency to go with his comfort lineup hurt that game. There were certainly games that year where kd didn't look very good, but that game wasnt one. more development or simply more confidence from few would have helped.

SageOfZagville
07-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Is it Angel Nunez in the picture?

cggonzaga
07-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Not unless he shrunk 3-4inches. Also, Nunez is lighter skinned than that guy.

sittingon50
07-21-2013, 11:01 PM
:fingergun:

SteelCityZag
07-22-2013, 07:33 AM
C'mon guys. The revisionist history about the WSU game is getting silly. WSU hit 7 threes in the first half when Bell played and 7 threes in the second half when he didn't. And Bell was terrible prior to leaving the game. 0-2 from the field, 1 turnover, 0 points, 0 everything else. His absence did not lose the game for us. WSU took it to us, beat us fair and square, no excuses. They were the better team that night, period.

I agree with your basic premise, as I am not a fan of excuses. The trouble seems to arise when determining the difference between an excuse and an actual factor that played a part.

Could be that WSU hit all those threes because GBJ was injured in the first half as well? Some reports had him not at 100% against Southern.

Certainly Bell's injury is not an excuse for the loss...WSU was the better team that night. But to say it's not a factor in the loss, well...no too sure I'd call that revisionist history either.

scott257
07-22-2013, 08:56 AM
No revisionist history for me. It is time to move on. We were able to see a lot of good games last year and more wins than any prior season.

Anyway, I drove through Wichita a couple of weeks ago on my way back from moving my son to Kansas City. Not much there to see, certainly seems to me that perhaps the only thing that city has to brag about was that win against Gonzaga. Not sure if they have a stock yard there or what, but the place stinks to high heaven.

maynard g krebs
07-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I agree with your basic premise, as I am not a fan of excuses. The trouble seems to arise when determining the difference between an excuse and an actual factor that played a part.

Could be that WSU hit all those threes because GBJ was injured in the first half as well? Some reports had him not at 100% against Southern.

Certainly Bell's injury is not an excuse for the loss...WSU was the better team that night. But to say it's not a factor in the loss, well...no too sure I'd call that revisionist history either.

Keep in mind that the poster you quoted thinks Bell is terrible,, and that he should be benched and transfer.

His posts should be evaluated for their quality with that assessment in mind.

Gin N GUice
07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Was it Tony Skinner perhaps? I know he was in town because I played against him at valley hoops. PS what is a former zag doing in the rec bracket? We got dominated.

HenneZag
07-27-2013, 08:47 AM
I know their is currently a camp going on. Has anyone been down to see if their is scrimmages? Im hoping to go tonight and provide some sideline reports if thats the case.