PDA

View Full Version : Univ of South Alabama for BIS: your reactions please

tyra
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
What do you think?

HenneZag
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
This is the best we could come up with...wow.

zagfan1
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Very disappointed in the selection. I want to spend my money watching a Georgetown or Louisville etc .

Hoopaholic
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Be untruthful if I said anything other than disappointing

HenneZag
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Arizona 2 years ago, K State last year which was rocking! and then....S Alabama....? huh

I would like to hear the thinking behind this, very confused and like to think that we could have found a higher caliber team to play. I don't like the Saint Mary's looking approach to our schedule next season, leaves little room for error.

Zagdawg
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Room for improvement -- I was hoping for Duke.

:)

Oregonzagnut
07-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Gonzaga vs. U.S.A.

Sounds good to me.

75Zag
07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
My reaction is simple. For many years I have paid a lot of money to have friends and family join Mrs.'75 and me in Seattle to watch the BIS. In the early days Little '75 traveled from Spokane with her GU dorm friends, but we always stay at the Washington Athletic Club and we spend lots of money goofing around the Pike Place Market and eating at Tom Douglas restaurants, and "the girls" shopped at Nordstrom's or whatever the younger trendier folks do now.

This year we won't be going due to the insulting talent at the BIS.

I wish no harm to anyone at GU or that company in Arizona that arrange the BIS, but I just don't care.

I am sure there are thousands of GU nation fans who will take my place and probably spend 10x the money we spent, but I feel very sorry and somewhat resentful for the end of a great event.

On the good side, since the BIS sucks, I have told my family I am taking them all to Maui.

Go Bulldogs!

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Southern Alabama is a junior college, right?

ZagFanInNC
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
:vomit-smiley-007:

So many other options... I don't know how this choice can be justified as the best one.

BobZag
07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
The big name fell through. Zags scrambled. USA was all that remained. Disappointing but understandable. Getting a decent crowd now will be problematic. Bummer.

TravelinZag
07-01-2013, 03:01 PM
If this doesn't end the BiS, it should. Supposed to be a showcase, not an embarrassment. Nothing to win; a great deal already lost in fan disappointment.
Better to lose gamely to top competition than to sink to this level. As a schedule filler when the students are on holiday break and no better opponent can be found, okay; but this? Shameful and insulting to all.

GLJake
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I live in Seattle and primarily lurk on this board. Every year I excitedly look forward to attending The BIS. Someone really dropped the ball(S. Alabama?) I'm sad to say I won' be going this year. I just don' t get it!

Angelo Roncalli
07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
:vomit-smiley-007:

So many other options... I don't know how this choice can be justified as the best one.

Just curious, what other options are you referring to?

maynard g krebs
07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
South Alabama, not southern. Sorry to nitpick, but if we don't like gunzogga...

And I'll skip this one, like I did Davidson. Unless I find a a $5 ticket might as well watch tv.

Stuff happens with scheduling. Not what they had in mind I'm sure, and nothing to get worked up about.

Oregonzagnut
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
If this doesn't end the BiS, it should. Supposed to be a showcase, not an embarrassment. Nothing to win; a great deal already lost in fan disappointment.
Better to lose gamely to top competition than to sink to this level. As a schedule filler when the students are on holiday break and no better opponent can be found, okay; but this? Shameful and insulting to all.

They had to get someone or cancel the event. As BZ said, "the big name cancelled".

I'd like to know who cancelled.

75Zag
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Angelo, you are much better connected than 99.999% of us, but thinking back to the line in the movie where the actor asked "would you sleep with me for 1 million dollars" and she said yes and then he said " how about a hundred dollars" and she said "what kind of a girl do you think I am", I find it unbelievable that a Sweet 16 Team from the 2013 NCAAs could not have been coaxed to Seattle in December with the right combination of money, publicity and return-game action.

Again I defer to your super-secret inside information, but I am curious if every Sweet 16 team said NO, or whether GU and the BIS sponsors just could not come up with the combination of cash and return games.

Indiana was on my mind, and my little friend at Nike said they were ready, willing and able except for some GU people puffing their chests and denying money and return games.

Go Bulldogs! See You in Maui!

willandi
07-01-2013, 03:24 PM
If they hold the Battle in Seattle at the South Alabama campus, in Mobile, my daughter and her kids could go!

Ezag
07-01-2013, 03:36 PM
I'd rather play Shoreline Community College

jake
07-01-2013, 03:38 PM
What will their strategy be on ticket prices? Maintain the same and get the core Seattle fan base that will come anyway? Lower them to get higher numbers? I like my Seattle relatives, but a chance to see them is the only thing making me remotely consider traveling from Portland to Seattle for this event. I love the Zags, but South Alabama isn't enough to get me to pay for tickets, gas, food/drinks etc. in Seattle. I'm sure the organizers did the best they could if someone dropped, but this is the kind of game that could have a couple year impact on the event unless it is a real marquee game again in 2014.

DixieZag
07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I totally understand that if a "name" school canceled there were few good options left. But, I could think of one.

For one year only, move the WSU game to Seattle. The BIS is not just a chance for our west slope friends to see the game but to showcase GU generally. It only works if it is a game big enough to draw interest.

A game against the Cougs would be a better quality game than South Ala. and it would create tremendous interest. Since GU is the host team, it could give all its fans a shot at tickets up until a sell-out or give remainders to WSU. Sure, tickets would get to Cougs - so what? The game would be sold out, neither team would have huge costs, it would be an event in Seattle and fulfill all the original goals. Oh, and I suspect the Cougs would happily oblige.

Move the South Alabama game to campus (not that we really want to give up the WSU game either).

75Zag
07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
How about a 4 game Round Robin with SU, WSU, GU and UW.

I know nothing about sports marketing, but I think I could personally sell out that weekend IF the WSLCB allows me to sell beer at the event. And if anybody with money and power is listening, I might be willing to gamble my finances and give it a shot.

Go Gulldogs!

229SintoZag
07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
If we are going to agree to play a school like South Alabama from the Sun Belt conference whose RPI last year is around 160, then by all means make it a guaranty game in the Kennel and play it quietly, take the money made by picking the pockets of the season ticket holders, and move on. Giver your guys their "breather" game between the Goliaths on the preseason schedule. Tune up. Work on some new sets. Get some marginal guys some time to see if they have a slot in the rotation once the season starts in earnest.

But to play a team like this in a highly touted and promoted slot in Seattle?

Gonzaga would have done better to just skip the BIS for a year and resume the tradition in December 2014. In scheduling and promotions, rule #1 should be "First do no harm." Kind of like medicine and a lot of other things.

This does significant harm to Gonzaga's brand, its image, its perception, etc.

My guess is that Perkins, Wiltjer and any number of others considering the Zags may not be overly impressed.

At least Davidson and UMass had done something in their program's recent histories to merit plausibility.

75Zag
07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Gonzaga would have done better to just skip the BIS for a year and resume the tradition in December 2014. In scheduling and promotions, rule #1 should be "First do no harm." Kind of like medicine and a lot of other things.

This is the final year of the State Farm sponsorship of the BIS. As the BIS sinks slowly beneath the waves like the Titanic, I can only wish that we had the warm sweet grasp of Kate Winslet to keep the special parts of GU basketball from sinking.

Go Bulldogs! See You in Maui!

Ebay
07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/42b379a6a0c733a1f0e4ec448945f18e/tumblr_inline_mo3tuoohvO1qz4rgp.gif

jazzdelmar
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Slippery slope. Brain trust needs to tread carefully. The three legs of the Zags brand are 1. great OOC sked, 2. Dominance of the WCC and 3. Exciting play in the NCAA tourney. All the legs are wobbling now. Time for a strategy retreat, Pontiff.

Ebay
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
http://cdn.ology.com/bundles/ologysocial/up/img/embedded/embedded_4f5ae4d85fce21.29098703.gif

spudzag
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
"Battle" seems like an exaggeration.

Zag365
07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Didn't see this coming. I'll still go. I've been to them all, including UMass, Davidson in an off year, etc. But, this is a real downgrade. I saw the explanation that a better opponent bailed, but seems like there had to be other factors as well. Can't believe that Zags want to see the BiS, which is one of the biggest draws for college basketball in Seattle, where second largest concentration of alums reside, become small-time or phased out.

montanazag88
07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
A win is likely without much meaning. A close win is dangerous and a freakish loss (it happens) would be disastrous. Hate to create any bad vibes by indirectly bashing an opponent, but that's another thing that's wrong with this picture.....everyone expects a blowout like a pre-season warmer upper..... How do the espn announcers deal with this one? Maybe they just dump the coverage?

GorgeZag
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
The big name fell through. Zags scrambled. USA was all that remained.

Who was the big name school supposed to be?
I know scheduling is almost a science but i find it hard to believe that over 4 months out, all they could come up with is South Alabama. Embarrasment is putting in mildly, South Alabama is your plan B!?!?! Hell move it back a month and play Pepperdine there.
It's a marquee opportunity/game that should be used to show off our great school, program, state, and region to the rest of the country. It's also a great chance to stick it to the Mutts in their own backyard.
I imagine this game wont be on TV now. We used to be America's team.

Hoopaholic
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Princeton
Richmond
U of New Orleans

All looking for games at the bus date........I would have taken any of those, but then again I have to assume we reached out to them and they declined

Wsu would have been intriguing but they have their annual Seattle game December 21

bartruff1
07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't think it is such a big deal....stuff happens .. I doubt it will have lasting effect on anything...

VinnyZag
07-01-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm an alum who lives on the west side and can't really afford to travel to see a game (I chose an unwise and unprofitable major, alas).

I prefer going to BiS when they face a good opponent, that's true. But I'll be damned if I'm going to turn up my nose at a chance to see them play in Seattle.

I've been at every Battle so far, and this year will not be an exception.

bartruff1
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Vinny can you call Roth and urge him to schedule Seattle U. ??

TheGonzagaFactor
07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
How do the espn announcers deal with this one? Maybe they just dump the coverage?

This game won't be on national TV, I promise. Davidson and UMass weren't either. The only cupcakes we play on ESPN are WCC teams.

Oregonzagnut
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Then re-packge it.

Call it: The Pacific Northwest Battle in Seattle! For the crown and Pacific Northwest dominance. Get the best 4 or 8 teams. Gonzaga, Oregon, Wash., Wash St, EWU, Montana, Boise St, Idaho. Anyone else? Portland, Seattle, Oregon St, Portland St, Montana St, Idaho St?

75Zag
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Your suggestion to repackage the BIS may be the most honest suggestion yet. Let's just call it "Gonzaga v. University of Southern Alabama" and put the game on the various sub-channels instead of trying to make it an event in Seattle or on the various media outlets,

My point was not so much related to this year as is was a tremendous regret for prior years. I had such a great time on the Monorails teasing the father of a Tenn. superstar about how GU would "clean his clock".

As they say:

Goodbye, So long, Farewell.

zagfan1
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
It's only July 1st, why panic right now? Or maybe move the date so we can accommodate a big named school. What about a rematch with Wichita State?

NotoriousZ
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Not Much of a Battle in Seattle?
One of These Teams does not Really Belong in Seattle?

Buy some of those tickets and get a free bowl of soup.

I'll watch this blowout on the television.

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Not Much of a Battle in Seattle?
One of These Teams does not Really Belong in Seattle?

Buy some of those tickets and get a free bowl of soup.

I'll watch this blowout on the television.

I smell a future Groupon.

bartruff1
07-01-2013, 07:20 PM
It's only July 1st, why panic right now? Or maybe move the date so we can accommodate a big named school. What about a rematch with Wichita State?

I don't know if you are kidding or not, but I suspect there are signed contracts before there is a announcement.

Wichita State would have been the best choice by far in MHO. Talk about BUZZZZZZZZ.... Even Dicky V would have been there to predict the winner..

caduceus
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ymzlK76.gif

BoZarth
07-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Relax

Go Zags!!!!

Zag 77
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
:confused:

Zagineer
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Yikes. Not what I was expecting. But it's not the first time. I assembled a summary of BIS data from the 30,000 foot level and compared it to Pomeroy Ratings at the end of the season for the opponents and GU.

Observations: In two of the years (Umass and Davidson), we were not properly matched to our talents. In all the other years, we were matched to within a +10 to -5 percentile based on end of year ratings. Aside from the Nevada game, we won the games we were supposed to win and lost the games we were supposed to loose. (But don't get me started on the Nevada game.)

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Zagineer/BattleinSeattleData_zpsdc7e28a4.jpg (http://s528.photobucket.com/user/Zagineer/media/BattleinSeattleData_zpsdc7e28a4.jpg.html)

Now all I need to do is get some lessons from ZN and Spud on how to post spreadsheet data. :o

Sorry, everyone. I'm still learning how to post excel spreadsheet data and charts directly to the GUB. Once I figure that out,.... watch out. :D

Until then, you'll just have to increase your magnification (you know, that little icon with the drop down menu in the lower right hand corner of your screen) to read the table above.

SWZag
07-02-2013, 01:01 AM
On the bright side, looks like they have six returning players and according to Scout, 1 player has signed....

USA 2013-14 Men's Basketball Roster (http://www.usajaguars.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball)

The teams have met two times previously—both on neutral courts—with Gonzaga claiming a pair of 17-point victories. The Bulldogs defeated the Jaguars 60-43 in 1995-96 in Seattle and 80-63 in 1998-99 in Iowa City, Iowa.

First-year USA head coach Mathew Graves was an assistant at Butler for 10 years.

SWZag

gu03alum
07-02-2013, 03:12 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/2fae36df063b7428539212296310059a/tumblr_inline_mgqurbobr51rrje9w.gif

I think it's time they give us what every body wants, which is a game every year in DC against Georgetown.

gu03alum
07-02-2013, 03:13 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/unfair.gif

realtydog
07-02-2013, 07:05 AM
would not spend $$ on travel (even from Spokane) to see this

Gonzdb8
07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
RIP BiS

vandalzag
07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Slippery slope. Brain trust needs to tread carefully. The three legs of the Zags brand are 1. great OOC sked, 2. Dominance of the WCC and 3. Exciting play in the NCAA tourney. All the legs are wobbling now. Time for a strategy retreat, Pontiff.

Good lord even for your negative nancy way of life this post is silly.

cjm720
07-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I think I'll save some money this December. I don't mind shelling out a $100 or more a ticket, but the opponent has to be worth it.

OregonZag5
07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Normally go up to the Battle( even the year with the snow when we barely made it back for Christmas Eve)- but not this year- not worth the time and expense but will miss being in Seattle during the Christmas season and seeing everyone at the pre game function. It is very disappointing.

RenoZag
07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
The teams have met two times previously—both on neutral courts—with Gonzaga claiming a pair of 17-point victories. The Bulldogs defeated the Jaguars 60-43 in 1995-96 in Seattle and 80-63 in 1998-99 in Iowa City, Iowa. They reached the postseason in each of those years and advanced to the Elite 8 in 1999.

Jaguar's Press Release (http://www.usajaguars.com/news/2013/6/28/MBB_0628130241.aspx)

How much you wanna bet USA covers the spread ?

bigblahla
07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
http://southalabama.247sports.com/Board/59456/USA-vs-Gonzaga-19527474/1

Jaguar Fans discussing the BIS.

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
07-03-2013, 04:10 AM
" Snotty " is a understatement....we have some real jerks... a lot of them.

TexasZagFan
07-03-2013, 04:49 AM
would not spend $$ on travel (even from Spokane) to see this

Sniff...sniff...sniff...:mecry:

:jk:

Try being a Zag alum in Texas. Then again, the trip to Stillwater was only 3 hours.

OTOH, it will be a 5-6 hour drive to Wichita...on IH-35 (:vomit-smiley-007:).

Oregonzagnut
07-03-2013, 05:20 AM
And some are upset at the disrespect. But I am confident we will win.

But USA is just like us in one way.

They have one Elite 8 too.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Nothing we can do about it now, this is our opponent. We shouldn't take them lightly either, I assume they will play similar to the Southern team that gave us fits in the dance last year. They have some good players, one in which is considered in the Top 5 underrated players in college basketball.

[QUOTE
Augustine Rubit, forward, South Alabama

Now here's "off the radar:" When you run a YouTube search for "Augustine Rubit," a paltry number of results shows up. All of them were posted by USAJaguarSports, the official account of South Alabama athletics. There are few fan-made clips, and nothing like the deluge you'd see if you searched for even a midlevel college player, let alone the Wiggins and Parkers of the world. Such are the perils of playing great basketball in the Sun Belt: It requires a concerted effort to get the word out.

But the word deserves to be heard: Rubit has been dominant in three seasons at USA, culminating in an excellent junior season in which he averaged 19.4 points and 10.5 rebounds per game, with an offensive rating of 113.1 on 29.1 percent usage. No player returning to college hoops, save Doug McDermott, was more efficient with as many of his team's possessions. Per Pomeroy, Rubit rebounded 14.7 percent of his team's available misses, made 48.6 of his 2s and 79.5 percent from the line, posted a block rate of 3.6 percent and drew 7.2 fouls per 40 minutes. In layman's terms, he beasted.

Perhaps the biggest thing holding Rubit back isn't exposure -- it's competition. NBA scouts might rightly be dubious of a player who posts such outsized numbers against lowly competition, particularly when that player is a true 6-foot-7 forward who is yet to sink a single 3 in his collegiate career. Rubit still has some proving to do. But NBA scouts might be just as wary of missing on yet another quality mid-major star, one whose career production has been as quietly excellent as any of his non-McDermott contemporaries in the same span.[/QUOTE]

cjm720
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
http://southalabama.247sports.com/Board/59456/USA-vs-Gonzaga-19527474/1

Jaguar Fans discussing the BIS.

Go!! Zags!!!

This is from one of their fans....sadly true. We need to really lose the attitude to some degree but BIS has been a marquee match-up for fans that don't have season tickets to attend. Although I'm disappointed with this match-up, I think we'd be best served if we remember who and what we are...and if you have to ask, you won't understand the answer.

"I would love for South to get to the Zags level in college bball with Matt Graves, but their arrogant fans seem to have forgotten where they came from. (hint: nowhere)"

jake
07-03-2013, 10:09 AM
This is one of those situations, where both sides are probably justified in how they feel. I can understand South Alabama fans being upset at our lack of enthusiasm, but the reaction from Zag fans is also completely understandable. It's not that I have anything against playing South Alabama. They seem like a nice opponent and a solid team. It is that the Battle in Seattle is supposed to be more of a marquee game. Even UMass and Davidson had either recent or historical success that gives them name recognition that resonates with people. Even if their team is as good or better than those two BIS opponents, South Alabama doesn't have similar name recognition, at least not in the northwest.

bartruff1
07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
It is a shame Gonzaga's fans are not as classy as the players and the coaches. I think it is the bandwagon culture .

Zags11
07-03-2013, 10:39 PM
It is a shame Gonzaga's fans are not as classy as the players and the coaches. I think it is the bandwagon culture .

Sigh... I agree with you bart for 1st time. lol Too many fans are feeling entitled. Not every year can it be a big school. Instead, be happy we have a BIS.

Gonzdb8
07-04-2013, 06:04 AM

but its a darn good thing we have folks like you on the board to decide who is classy and who is not.
can't believe anyone would dare express their dissatisfaction with this matchup...and on an internet message board of all places. classless i tell you, simply classless.

gonwick
07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't understand how there is any controversy here. USA fans feel slighted because we haven't heard of them and don't know anything about their program. That would be one thing if we were playing them in the tournament and assumed we wouldn't have to try. This is about scheduling a game that is one of the last chances for GU to make a national impression before slipping into the media black hole that is WCC play. Yes, some games will be televised in that stretch, but if gu isn't ranked by then, they will be hard pressed to win their way up without something to point to for voters, and this game isn't it. If it is nationally televised (not sure if those contracts are in place before opponents are announced), there are two possible outcomes. GU wins and no one cares because it is expected. GU loses, it is a bad loss come tournament time, and the last image of gu in the national consciousness pre WCC is a bad one. As BZ said, another option fell through, so the GU powers that be would not argue with those who feel that this is a suboptimal matchup. Kudos to USA for coming to play, but it is no slight to them to acknowledge the problems of this matchup. Frankly, if this were a game at the kennel, season ticket holders would likely complain. So in a game where fans are supposed to travel or pay higher ticket prices, it stands to reason people would be upset. This isn't hubris, just an acknowledgment of the situation.

bartruff1
07-04-2013, 08:45 AM
but its a darn good thing we have folks like you on the board to decide who is classy and who is not.
can't believe anyone would dare express their dissatisfaction with this matchup...and on an internet message board of all places. classless i tell you, simply classless.

Your welcome...I do what I can....

jake
07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't think it is fans feeling entitled, nor do I think that if the game was at the Kennel as a regular OOC game that fans would be complaining. There is nothing wrong with South Alabama as a team or an opponent. The disappointment is that the Battle in Seattle is supposed to be a showcase game in a former NBA arena. The ideal opponent would be a top program and secondarily a school with more name recognition. I am not taking USA lightly as an opponent, but I don't see how it is elitist or entitled to say they aren't the ideal BIS opponent. The fact that they are reportedly a replacement for a team that canceled shows that. I get frustrated and annoyed with bandwagon GU fans that are elitist towards other WCC schools or opponents etc., but I don't think the disappointment over the BIS opponent falls into that category.

Zags11
07-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I understand the disappointment that it isnt a UConn or AZ, however it is just 1 year. I will be more disappointed if it is every yr and BIS most likely would stop eventually.

I say people who normally go, to continue and go this yr. If we dont, it does show the feeling of entitlement. If it continues, then you can voice your displeasure.

MDABE80
07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Respect ALL opponents. If this was being done, there would be no negative comments from the South Alabama fans.
We shouldn't behave like entitled spoiled brats who denigrate them or any other opponent. We should be better than that.

Not our usual and historic way at all. Let's offer a good game and leave it at that. They aren't Duke but neither are we.

ZagNative
07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
68 posts on this nothing topic.... Really? If ZN's magic broom would only reach beyond her sofa .... This thread would find itself in her trash bin.

http://www.animateit.net/data/media/185/broomswp.gif

bartruff1
07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I beg to differ, the BIS is a very big deal.

My sources tell me that the MARQUEE OPPONENT was none other than the Big Blue Nation... Yes, KENTUCKY...

And the reason they pulled out at the last moment was because they were pi$$ed that Gonzaga was trying to steal one of their current players !!!

Of course my sources will not allow me to mention who that player was.

And now you know the rest of the story.

maynard g krebs
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
This is really being blown out of proportion imo, and shouldn't be considered a slight to USA. If it was a noncon game in the Kennel, there would be no dissatisfaction. That stems from the fact that this is a once a year big event in Seattle, and maybe some disappointment from those like myself who usually just get to see the team once a year.

It's a big ticket game as well, and that is an issue for those of modest resources. I'll shell out the money for UConn, Missouri, Okie State etc but if ticket prices are not in line with the quality of the game, I'll pass. Nothing to do with feeling "entitled" or anything like that; a simple pragmatic choice based on practicality and allocation of resources.

Shouldn't be a big deal to anybody; scheduling is a dicey proposition and everything doesn't work out perfectly every time. It's not the death of the event or anything. And sure, USA could win the game, just like Portland State did at the Kennel. Everybody that follows the game realizes that.

Oregonzagnut
07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I am sure they are now circling this game on their calendars and already planning an upset with a chip on their shoulder. If we look a the big picture, this is a huge game for them.

As usual, we will get our opponents best game.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I don't feel like we are too good to play South Alabama, it looks like they had a good season last year and could have made the dance.

We are just used to big name (BCS) OOC opponents, especially in Seattle. This is the kind of game that could kill our tourney résumé and that's why we don't want it as the BIS.

The Seattle game should be one of the biggest games of the season for BOTH teams, not just the visitor. This will be USA's biggest game of the year.

South Alabama looks decent and could get into the 2014 NCAAs as a 15-16 seed. They are no joke. We just wanted to see a Mich St., Duke, Kentucky type program, especially after last season.

KSU was a good opponent and last season was awesome, so who would have expected a downgrade in opponent quality and name recognition for the BIS?

MTZag03
07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Just when I thought we would be out from the Butler curse, it continues.

That skinny Matthew Graves who dissected our zone D after we dominated UNC is back!

After the inbounds debacle last year I thought we had a chance to lick our wounds from Butler and seethe. Not so, he will tear us apart as the new coach of USA.

USA 75, GU 62.

Doooomed!

tobizag
07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
if i recall, one of the gonzaga luncheons a few years back said this year's opponent was supposed to be duke.

MDABE80
07-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I beg to differ, the BIS is a very big deal.

My sources tell me that the MARQUEE OPPONENT was none other than the Big Blue Nation... Yes, KENTUCKY...

And the reason they pulled out at the last moment was because they were pi$$ed that Gonzaga was trying to steal one of their current players !!!

Of course my sources will not allow me to mention who that player was.

And now you know the rest of the story.

First I've heard of Bart's version. I wish Bart would define "steal".........I don't think so. Who called whom?

maynard g krebs
07-05-2013, 05:19 PM
First I've heard Bart's version. I wish Bart wouldefine "steal".........I don't think so. Who called whom?

Whoosh. Better get that sarcasm detector checked.

MDABE80
07-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Maynard...seriously.....I've just ever heard we tampered or tried to steal any player. To me it's a pretty serious charge. It's news to me..............so I asked for a definition of "steal"....

maynard g krebs
07-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I thought it was pretty clear the post in question was a joke, Abe. And a pretty good one, given recent goings on.

MDABE80
07-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Was it? I must have missed the inference...... no matter..

ZagFanInNC
07-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Just about anyone else... maybe move a marquee conference game to the BIS...

Zagdog71
09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
The BIS website says tickets go on sale Sept 13th to the general public. I remember seeing some where that "advance" tickets would go on sale September 10th. In past years, the advance tickets were available in Spokane and online thru a special code word. I haven't received an email from BIS with the code yet.

When do the advance tickets go on sale and has anyone received a code?
Thanks.

75Zag
09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Self Deleted

It was funny, but perhaps even below my standards.

But the BIS will still suck.

Go Bulldogs!

Baldwinzag
09-09-2013, 05:03 PM
BSIS.

C'mon man.

MDABE80
09-09-2013, 05:14 PM
We got a game. Glad we do. It'll be a different kind of year for us. This game will be fine. Not the extravaganza we usually see but it's a tough year. BIS is important and must continue. Sail on!.......

willandi
09-09-2013, 05:28 PM
With all the grousing, the Zags had better show up...both the team AND the fans! Make it look good for TV, at the least.

Can you imagine how bad it would be if no fans showed up, the team came out flat and couldn't change and South Alabama knew that, just like a WCC team, this game might make their season! It might be the death knell of the BIS. I don't think that future BIS games will be this low an opponent, but will still be scheduled to try and let the Zags win.

If I lived in the Seattle area, I would close the shop for the day and go. Heck, Give me those 2 front row tickets and I'll make the drive!

75Zag
09-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I am a Bulldog nut, but I wonder if the sun may be setting on the BIS. No disrespect to anybody connected with the event, but the promoter now seems to be located in a strip mall in Arizona, and their two "star" events are the GU game and WSU game in Seattle, except that the WSU game is cancelled. And this is the last year of the insurance company who is sponsoring the GU/BIS and I am not hearing about anybody taking over sponsorship.

Old Guy Note: For many years I loved watching the "Independence Bowl" on New Year's Day. A great event. Then, as time passed them by, it became a troubled and then nearly dead event. In its final iteration, it was - if memory serves - the Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl. I was in Shreveport, La for a work project for a few weeks back then, and the stadium was an ugly blight on an otherwise very ugly oil field town (but with good riverboat gambling).

I hope the BIS has a more dignified end -if it is going to end.

PS - If I was advising the strip mall folks and assuming they are down to their last dollar, I would be trying to sell the "Battle In Seattle" name to GU for a couple hundred grand. If things don't work out, I assume next year we will be invited to the "Battle On South Seattle" (BOSS) or some other equally non infringing name.

Go Bulldogs!

GoZags
09-09-2013, 06:32 PM
I am a Bulldog nut, but I wonder if the sun may be setting on the BIS. No disrespect to anybody connected with the event, but the promoter now seems to be located in a strip mall in Arizona, and their two "star" events are the GU game and WSU game in Seattle, except that the WSU game is cancelled. And this is the last year of the insurance company who is sponsoring the GU/BIS and I am not hearing about anybody taking over sponsorship.

Old Guy Note: For many years I loved watching the "Independence Bowl" on New Year's Day. A great event. Then, as time passed them by, it became a troubled and then nearly dead event. In its final iteration, it was - if memory serves - the Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl. I was in Shreveport, La for a work project for a few weeks back then, and the stadium was an ugly blight on an otherwise very ugly oil field town (but with good riverboat gambling).

I hope the BIS has a more dignified end -if it is going to end.

Go Bulldogs!

I don't know ... last year's game against Kansas State was pretty good. As was the Arizona game the year before. Illinois the year before that was a great opponent (didn't like the outcome of the game, though).

This year KeyArena had both NBA and NHL potentially on the table and they weren't going to contract any dates that would conflict .... thus there was an incredibly narrow window to schedule the game this year. Also, a "Blue Blood" i.e. Top 10 program (i.e. really) was in as the opponent until "the end". Probably will be next year's B i S game.

I think it's too early to start singing a Death March on the Battle in Seattle because of this year's explainable anomaly.

Of course none of this is new news, yet the hue and cry continues.

75Zag
09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Go Zags - I hope you are right. Are you in contact with the promoters? Do you know why there is no sponsorship announcement to continue or replace State Farm? As I have said 100 times, I will skip this one, but I hope that GU will be playing Duke, KY, or another elite team in Seattle every year between 2014 and the day I die. If they do, I will be there.

Old Guy Note: Have been to pretty much every BIS. I remember the days of waking up in the hotel and getting the paperS (PI and Times) and relaxing in bed next to the Lovely Mrs. '75 while reading front page stories about GU's opponent in the BIS and then turning on the TV and watching KIRO's lead story about GU playing at Key Arena vs. XXX. And then we walked out of the hotel and faced hundreds or maybe thousands of fans wearing team colors as we walked through the Market. I do not know what the GU brain trust has in mind to restore the BIS to its former glory. If I was the GU brain trust, I would play the Huskies at Key which I think would quickly restore the hype and newspaper headlines. But as I recall from reading a billion posts, the Lord does not want the Bulldogs to play the Huskies in Seattle unless certain conditions are met, and the conditions must be negotiated at a conference table that is oval, not round or rectangular, and the North Koreans must sit with their backs to the windows, and the Cubans must have taller chairs than the GU negotiators, and the Huskies must say "excuse me father" each time they address GU faculty, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Because it is our testicles to be defended. ZZZZZZZZZ. Amen.

Go Bulldogs!

GoZags
09-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Go Zags - I hope you are right. Are you in contact with the promoters? Do you know why there is no sponsorship announcement to continue or replace State Farm? As I have said 100 times, I will skip this one, but I hope that GU will be playing Duke, KY, or another elite team in Seattle every year between 2014 and the day I die. If they do, I will be there.

Old Guy Note: Have been to pretty much every BIS. I remember the days of waking up in the hotel and getting the paperS (PI and Times) and relaxing in bed next to the Lovely Mrs. '75 while reading front page stories about GU's opponent in the BIS and then turning on the TV and watching KIRO's lead story about GU playing at Key Arena vs. XXX. And then we walked out of the hotel and faced hundreds or maybe thousands of fans wearing team colors as we walked through the Market.

Go Bulldogs!

RE: Your "old guy note". The last three years has had some pretty significant coverage around Seattle (actually to the point where it greatly annoyed the folks in Montlake ... who's faces purpled as they tried to raise a hissy fit with certain Seattle media outlets).

To answer your question .... no, I am not in any contact with the promoter, any insights I have come from the GU side of the table. I also am unsure why there isn't a Sponsorship deal in place 15 months before the next event... I really can't think of any event where a deal like that gets done a year and a half out. I DO know that from the Gonzaga standpoint the school REALLY likes having this annual game in Seattle and who knows ... perhaps this will end up like Tiger Woods' World shootout in Thousand Oaks in early December. His Title Sponsor went away and he decided to sponsor it himself this year. It'll still have many of the best players in the world, will still be on NBC .... just won't be a Target or gas company sponsoring it this year.

Edited to say: You must have edited your post several times .... as now I've changed my response a couple of times before I hit "reply". And I don't think even Dennis Rodman could help get GU and UW together .... although there has been a Mahatma Ghandi type of leader (with ties to both camps) who's been quietly and diligently working towards forging a solution.

75Zag
09-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks Go Zags. I was playing around with the editing feature and did not know you were following my post.

In my day job I sometimes am asked to pick companies and situations that are trending up or trending down for pension plan investment purposes. With no disrespect to the BIS promoter (and certainly no inside information) they appear to be trending down very quickly. And if State Farm was going to re-up their sponsorship I would have expected them to do so in connection with this year's event. But maybe they will wait until the Spokane 3 on 3 event next spring, which historically has been when Comcast and SF have announced events connected to the BIS.

As I tried to convey in my "old guy" post, I love the BIS. I estimate that I have spent $25,000 over the years sponsoring friends, family, etc. and buying hotel rooms, airplane tickets, busses from GU to Seattle for Little '75 and her friends, etc. I once bought an entire extra row of seats because my 85 year old mom - God Bless Her - is too shy to ask people to excuse her when she needs to go to the bathroom. But this year it seems to me that GU and the promoter are trying to take advantage of our loyalty to the BIS by offering up a terrible opponent. Maybe it will work to sustain the legend of the BIS for another year, but not with me.

Look forward to meeting you at the WAC event. I will be the fat guy with the attractive wife.

Go Bulldogs!

SWZag
09-09-2013, 11:22 PM
I guess I hadn't realized that USA's Augustine Rubit was an AP All-American Honorable Mention (http://www.sunbeltsports.org/SPORTS/MensSports/MBasketball/Article/tabid/734/article/20027/USA-Rubit-Named-AP-Honorable-Mention-All-America.aspx)

Thinking positive...a couple frosh coming in:
6'0" Hakim Saintil (http://zagsblog.com/articles/hakim-saintil-to-south-alabama/)
6'8" Georgi Boyanov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpZY28eYso) - May be a pretty good player...several Bulgarian national teams. In 2011-2012 National Championship - Men, A group (http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-5998-0-196651-0&a=STATS), he averaged 21.1 points and 12.9 rebounds.

Zagdawg
09-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info SWZag-- we don't want to overlook these guys.

More on Rubit--
"The Houston, Texas native led the Sun Belt in rebounding (10.5) and was second in scoring (19.4) and double-doubles (16). He is the first player in league history to lead the SBC in rebounding three straight years."

Between Rubit and Georgi -- we may have our hands full.

They did beat #25 Florida State last year.

"South Alabama has hired Butler associate head coach Matthew Graves as its head basketball coach, hoping to duplicate some of the NCAA tournament success that program has enjoyed in recent years." ESPN 5 months ago

TheZagPhish
09-10-2013, 08:04 AM
And I don't think even Dennis Rodman could help get GU and UW together ....

Nice!

BULLDOG#1
09-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I know this is a BIS thread, but I can't stop thinking that this would be way better if it was UW-GU alternating between the seattle and spokane (key arena, spokane arena).

Romar is the worst. Both zag fans and dawg fans would love to see the match-up year after year.

primal23
09-10-2013, 09:14 AM
A little disappointed, but given what we lost, and lack of depth in the post a weaker OOC, I guess, isn't that hard to understand.

hondo
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Buck up lads it's just a game.