PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the WCC, Pacific

VinnyZag
07-01-2013, 07:28 AM
I guess that became official today: http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/070113aab.html

Kiddwell
07-01-2013, 08:24 AM
i guess that became official today: http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/070113aab.html

+1

:]

hooter73
07-01-2013, 09:12 AM
sigh.

Theyve actually shown an ability to get some decent players but its another small school that in the scheme of things doesnt help the WCC to become any better thought of.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
sigh.

Theyve actually shown an ability to get some decent players but its another small school that in the scheme of things doesnt help the WCC to become any better thought of.

The WCC is a joke, why would anyone take a demotion and join this conference?

It was the best addition possible, it's not like they have been a bottom feeder in the Big West or anything. They are better than most of the WCC.

Welcome, Tigers!

BTB
07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
The WCC is a joke, why would anyone take a demotion and join this conference?

Not sure if you're kidding or not... but if you are you should probably know that the WCC is a top 10 conference every year (out of 32 I believe) according to RPI.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Not sure if you're kidding or not... but if you are you should probably know that the WCC is a top 10 conference every year (out of 32 I believe) according to RPI.

Not kidding. Way too many sub-100 RPI teams (and some sub-200). I said it was a joke, not that it wasn't top 10 in RPI. Gonzaga plays tons of power conference teams which boosts the conference RPI. Take GU out of the conference and that RPI probably falls 6-15 spots (considering none of the teams would play GU, much less 2x per year which helps their RPI).

My point is-what decent programs would upgrade by moving to the WCC? Keep in mind the MWC was #1 in RPI last year-but somehow didn't put a team in the Sweet 16. There were no terrible teams in the MWC ala LMU/ Pepperdine. That rules out the entire MWC based on RPI and the PAC based on $$. Pacific was probably the best addition the WCC could have made.

I stand by my statement that the WCC, aside from Gonzaga, is a joke. BYU is decent based on consistency and SMC is not relevant without GU on the schedule (0 wins over BCS teams over the last 2 years).

bartruff1
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Pacific is a very good fit for the WCC and the WCC is a very good fit for all 16 of Gonzaga's teams ...and as coach Few has said , the WCC has been very good for Gonzaga...Welcome aboard Pacific..

Oregonzagnut
07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
I like the WCC. Pacific isn't the problem at all. If anything we need to point the fingers at the perpetual bottom dwellers of the conference. Pacific raises the WCC RPI. They will likely be in the top 5 most the time. Portland should think about moving to a conference they can compete in.

Portland and Pepperdine are far worse at this point.

SWZag
07-02-2013, 11:01 PM
One thing I think will be nice for the WCC is that Stockton isn't a big place with a lot of other activities. In a video linked to the original article in this thread, Ted Leland states this very thing, that Stockton can be like Spokane. The city is interested in the school and it can be the best show in town. Every other school is either in a big city or has countless other things that can distract potential supporters. I really like Pacific joining the conference.

Welcome Pacific!

SWZag

Chicken Ball
07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Going back a few years, Pacific is usually between 100-150 in KenPom's efficiency ratings, which makes it about the level of USF--in other words, a mid-level WCC team. Pacific doesn't make the WCC much better, but it also doesn't make it worse. The biggest problem is that it eliminates two OOC games for us and would make a post-BYU WCC more problematic.

ZagaZags
07-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Pacific.