PDA

View Full Version : Draft Comment

rijman
06-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Being a huge college basketball fan who rarely watches NBA games I was surprised and disappointed by this years draft analysts comments.

Of the 60 players drafted only 47 played college ball here in the states, by my count. With around 4000 kids playing D1 basketball here they managed to get 47 players drafted and even then the analysts were panning the later picks as though there wasn't much talent left so teams were trying to pick through the bottom of the barrel to find some value. If I was an undrafted player listening to their comments I would have been very disappointed. If the last players drafted were hardly worthy of being drafted what are you saying about the undrafted?

I just thought the analysts comments were harsh and disrespectful to the later picks and undrafted players. There have been many undrafted players that had good careers in the NBA including Ben Wallace (4 time all star), John Starks, Brad Miller, Raja Bell, David Wesley, Udonis Haslem, Jannero Pargo, etc.

There were a number of good players not drafted this year that other analysts say have a chance to make a pre season roster in the fall including Brandon Paul, CJ Leslie, Myck Kabongo, Jackie Carmichael, Ian Clark, Delly and Phil Pressey who Boston is reported set to sign as an undrafted free agent. I will add Harris to this list.

Let's also look at some of the highly drafted NBA busts from the past, Kwame Brown, Darko MIlicic, Sam Bowie, MIchael Olowokandi, Greg Oden, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, etc. Just because a player is drafted high in the first round is no guarantee for success.

Apparently, some of this years analysts are unaware that some top picks never pan out and some undrafted players make teams and have productive careers.

But why am I so concerned, like I said I rarely watch the NBA anyway.

Oregonzagnut
06-29-2013, 07:08 AM
For better or for worse, it speaks to the true elite level of the NBA and the fact that less than 500 players are in the NBA each year.

It was a weak draft before anyone gets the chance to play. Maybe it will be a draft that later is known as the biggest sleeper ever.

Tom117
06-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Kelly Olynyk was picked by Dallas for the sole purpose of dumping him just to get rid of their 13th pick. They didn't want the pick because they are in negotiations with LA Lakers to get Dwight Howard. Kelly would have killed the deal because they didn't have the salary room to get a first round player AND deal for Dwight Howard.

Boston, who is also in a huge trade negotiation, was looking at Kelly anyway to help them rebuild. Even though Boston would have probably taken Kelly with their 16th pick if he was still available, it still seemed like Dallas treated him as someone they could just pick and then discard. Why didn't they grab a second round prospect if all they were going to do was dump him?

It pissed me off a bit.

JPtheBeasta
06-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Brandon Paul jumped out of that list for me. I thought he was a sure NBAer during the season and completely forgot about him during the draft.

More to the OP, it's business as usual for the NBA, but I agree that the announcers could have been a lot nicer. Even the usually upbeat Fran Fraschilla got into the act. Maybe it was sarcastic funny man Bill Simmons that changed the vibe a bit.

JAGzag
06-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand the hurt feelings on this thread. Fact is this draft was below par from a talent perspective so when you get to the late second round - where the majority of players don't make the cut on a good year - you're left finding gems. You named what, a handful of players that made the league undrafted? That only reinforces the point that the impact players are usually found at the top. Just a fact.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2013, 07:54 AM
For better or for worse, it speaks to the true elite level of the NBA and the fact that less than 500 players are in the NBA each year.

It was a weak draft before anyone gets the chance to play. Maybe it will be a draft that later is known as the biggest sleeper ever.

agree OZN. used to be the nba was a mere stepping stone up for the top college players, now its a chasm what with the international influx, one and dones, etc. the comparison between the college game and the nba is so difficult that drafting, always an art more than a science, has become just educated guess work. you look at a great college player like mclemore or porter and then you say: who can he guard, who can he get a shot off? its a profound difference.

rijman
06-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand the hurt feelings on this thread. Fact is this draft was below par from a talent perspective so when you get to the late second round - where the majority of players don't make the cut on a good year - you're left finding gems. You named what, a handful of players that made the league undrafted? That only reinforces the point that the impact players are usually found at the top. Just a fact.
Here's a Bleacher report of the top 20 undrafted NBA players, which actually lists 21.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410608-the-20-best-undrafted-players-in-nba-history

The reality is some undrafted players have a chance to make NBA teams and do. Maybe the draft analysts know more than every NBA general manager and would have never drafted a bust or missed on drafting a player that could contribute in the NBA for many years. Maybe they know more, but I doubt it, just show some respect for these young men, that's all I'm saying.

Oregonzagnut
06-29-2013, 08:52 AM
After perusing several of BR's articles and analyses of the draft, the spectrum of grading the Celtics is broad. One writer thinks Boston was a loser in the draft. Another grades Boston out at a grade B.

I'm sure Danny Ainge spent significant time watching BYU basketball this year and since Gonzaga owned BYU this year, Danny fell in love with Kelly.

In spite of what the pundits say about his T-Rex wingspan, I think Kelly has huge upside if he can improve his first step burst speed and his vertical leap. Adding 25 lbs of muscle would compensate for his reach some by being able to separate from his defender. Kelly already can separate using his brain at the college level, but the NBA is different and brawn is becoming the variable GM's must have.

IMO, that is why Bennett was #1 and Noel was #6.

lv2hoop
06-29-2013, 09:22 AM
I was also stunned that Brandon Paul went undrafted. The game he played in Spokane this season, going off for 35 and single handedly destroying the GU perimeter defense was impressive. Plus he had a 43 point game against Ohio State his junior year. I thought he would be a lottery type player.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I was also stunned that Brandon Paul went undrafted. The game he played in Spokane this season, going off for 35 and single handedly destroying the GU perimeter defense was impressive. Plus he had a 43 point game against Ohio State his junior year. I thought he would be a lottery type player.

He looked like a first round talent to me. I think he will catch on with some team and be a solid rotation player in a year or two. He's two athletic and too confident not to.

Another player that I looked at as a possible NBA player was that center from BYU - Davies.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865582343/BYU-basketball-Former-Cougar-center-Brandon-Davies-goes-undrafted.html