PDA

View Full Version : Could Zags be co-leader for Zylan?

BobZag
06-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Hmmmmm.

http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520240

Gonzdb8
06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
yes please. this would a great get.

ZagNative
06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Hmm...

Although he hasn't visited any campuses yet, he knows a couple schools that will be on his shorter list.

"I think maybe three schools are on that list already. Kansas, Gonzaga, and Louisville. Louisville was the third one, but I'm not really sure about them now. They've already recruited a couple of players at my position, so they seem a little edgy to me right now."

Even if the defending national champions go in a different direction, plenty of elite programs are spending a lot of time recruiting the four star prospect.

"Gonzaga and Kansas are coming after me really hard, and there are a couple of other ones. Arizona, USC, Cal, UCLA, and a few more seem to be recruiting me really hard."

The USC coaches, led by Jason Hart, have offered the 6-foot-8 Cheatham a starring role in Los Angeles.

". . . I told them (the USC coaches) that I don't want to be a back seat player and they told me that I'll come in and start. They said I'll have the ball in my hands a lot and I better show up for games as soon as I get there."

USC isn't the only school making big promises.

"Gonzaga's been telling me the same thing," Cheatham said. "They're saying that everything is set up perfectly for me to come in and have the ball in my hands." - See more at: http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520240#sthash.fchdG95c.dpufDo you think staff is really making promises of playing time?

ZAGGED OUT
06-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I didn't see that we've offered him, so at this point, he has to be plan B behind Reid Travis, yea? Can't see how we would get both of them if Zylan doesn't want to sit on the bench at all.

GoZags
06-28-2013, 10:50 AM
I didn't see that we've offered him, so at this point, he has to be plan B behind Reid Travis, yea? Can't see how we would get both of them if Zylan doesn't want to sit on the bench at all.

Unless you're on staff at Gonzaga .... you wouldn't know whether or not GU has offered him (or any other PSA). Periodically information on "offers" become public through the PSA, the PSA's family or the PSA's coaches/advisors. Much of this information is accurate .... some isn't.

As to you scenario of a highly regarded PSA sitting on the bench .... oftentimes multiple offers are made and the scholarship/slot goes to the first one that commits.

MDABE80
06-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Hmm...
Do you think staff is really making promises of playing time?

no............

ZAGGED OUT
06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Unless you're on staff at Gonzaga .... you wouldn't know whether or not GU has offered him (or any other PSA). Periodically information on "offers" become public through the PSA, the PSA's family or the PSA's coaches/advisors. Much of this information is accurate .... some isn't.

As to you scenario of a highly regarded PSA sitting on the bench .... oftentimes multiple offers are made and the scholarship/slot goes to the first one that commits.

I wasn't confirming no offer was made, I said I didn't SEE one. Zylan is a good player no doubt, but I can't imagine the staff endangering RT's recruitment by putting out another offer to the same position for a player who wants to start. To me, it looks like Cheatham is 1B behind RT. Just my two cents.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
no............

Me neither. This seems fishy.

cjm720
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Awesome...would be huge!

That second game exit sure is hurting our recruiting efforts!!!! Hahahaha

Worthington
06-28-2013, 02:30 PM
I see Cheatham as a 3 and Travis as a 4, so I don't think getting one would hurt our chances at the other. I remember that we offered this guy a while back, but didn't realize we were so high on his list. The staff is doing an unbelievable job getting on the short short lists of a lot of really talented prospects. At this point with all the wings we're recruiting, Dorsey, Bailey, Cohen, Kell, Pope, and Cheatham, it's hard to tell who's our 1A priority.

Reborn
06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Awesome...would be huge!

That second game exit sure is hurting our recruiting efforts!!!! Hahahaha

Great Post!!! hahahahahaha love your sarcasm...made me laugh today. Thanks!!!

Go Zags

DixieZag
06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks for everyone posting. Many of us don't know a thing about him or most recruits and it helps us keep up to speed.

webspinnre
06-28-2013, 07:47 PM
What's most crazy, which 3 schools does he name? KU, Louisville, and us. That's a heckuva list to be in.

AzZag
06-28-2013, 09:09 PM
the kid plays right in my backyard. His academy team played a lot of their home games this year in a gym in my small town.

He is an absolute stud athelete and talent. Almost every major school came to see him play, including Kentucky, Georgetown and many more. I think every Pac-12 team has offered him. Best player in the state of Arizona without question.

If we land him....whoa, lookout. I can't think of a player we've had in the program that compares to him. 6'8", long, strong and mad hops..

Perkins, Reid, Melson, Wiltjer, Cheatham, Pangos, Karno and Bell?
We'd all forget about Witchita St real quick.....

Reborn
06-30-2013, 10:00 AM
WOW!!!!

Hope we can get him.......

go zags!

cggonzaga
06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Do you think staff is really making promises of playing time

I would say yes and certainly hope I'm right. You don't get kids like Travis, Perkins, Pope without some certain assurances. Its not something you promise every kid but definitely the right ones.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 10:47 PM
No offer yet from the ZAGS. Don't ask me how I know, I just do, I did some minor detective work,haha. But im hoping we throw that offer his way soon.

810Suited
07-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Top five basketball players of all time:

Zylan, Zylan, Zylan, Zylan, and Zylan

Oregonzagnut
07-04-2013, 08:04 PM
"Kansas, Gonzaga and Louisville."

WOW!!

Kelly's success as a lottery pick in the NBA is the last thing recruits remember about our season! Not our last loss.

HenneZag
07-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I saw on his twitter yesterday he stated"he spoke with Gonzaga today" but still has no offer as of yet.

Its nice if we are considered in that top tier, even with no offer on the table yet.

titopoet
07-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Me neither. This seems fishy.

I read the quote different. I am sure Few and the other coaches give the standard line of playing time available to players that produce. "...I better show up for games." is a large qualifier that can mean if he works hard and produces in games the position is his (or any other player on the roster for that matter.) Few can say that to any recruit. Under that qualifier any and all recruits can be sat down on the bench and see reduced minutes or no minutes at all. "Son, you are are showing up and playing big like the starter here so if you want more minutes start showing up, or you may not see the court ever again.

cjm720
07-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Few told Hyland he thought he could come in and play right away....just saying

DixieZag
07-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Don't mean to be too much of the lawyer that I am trained as but saying "you could come in and start right away" is totally legitimate.

A kid "could" come in and play at the Kevin Durant level and will absolutely be on the floor. So, yes, you could start, son.

Just, in the same way, Winnona Ryder could show up at my door and say "let's spend a lifetime together." Could happen. No law of physics that prevents it.

jazzdelmar
07-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Don't mean to be too much of the lawyer that I am trained as but saying "you could come in and start right away" is totally legitimate.

A kid "could" come in and play at the Kevin Durant level and will absolutely be on the floor. So, yes, you could start, son.

Just, in the same way, Winnona Ryder could show up at my door and say "let's spend a lifetime together." Could happen. No law of physics that prevents it.

A shoplifter?

stevet75
07-05-2013, 07:50 PM

If your married that law of physics does indeed exist

DixieZag
07-06-2013, 08:42 AM
If your married that law of physics does indeed exist

Again my legal training saves me - there is most certainly a law applicable, however it is a government one, people break those all the time, as Winnona did when she shoplifted, with oxycontin in her purse (but she was able to produce an Rx - fishy) . No universal law saying it can't happen. And, I didn't say I would go - only that she could offer.

Anyway - - I wonder if Few does tell recruits that every starting spot is up to be earned both at the beginning of the season and then throughout? That is probably true, so far as it goes, it is also true that he has loyalty to a fault for upperclassmen. It does seem silly to say to anyone - our starting lineup is full, just say if you earn it, it's yours.

jrmeehan
07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Chatham sort of comes off as a primadonna in interviews. A lot of talk about playing time and that he hates being in the paint. Great athlete though, would be interesting at the 3.

HenneZag
07-07-2013, 09:31 AM
We are going to need a 4. Hence why I want Reid, tough kid around the basket. If we were able to land Pope or Cheatham I would be extremely happy. Pope seems more like a 3 over Zylan, but if he's not a player that likes the paint, that may not jive.

DixieZag
07-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Chatham sort of comes off as a primadonna in interviews. A lot of talk about playing time and that he hates being in the paint. Great athlete though, would be interesting at the 3.

He is the Utah player, right (I googled him but only got info on Chatham NJ basketball programs)? If that is him, the articles linked to him here that I have read were pretty indicative that he was extremely interested in staying around home - Utah State, Utah or BYU.

He lists us but I have never thought we were being seriously considered.

SteelZag
07-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Hey Dixie, throw in a "e". It's is Cheatham, not Chatham.

jrmeehan
07-07-2013, 05:49 PM
He is the Utah player, right (I googled him but only got info on Chatham NJ basketball programs)? If that is him, the articles linked to him here that I have read were pretty indicative that he was extremely interested in staying around home - Utah State, Utah or BYU.

He lists us but I have never thought we were being seriously considered.

His scout profile

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6279722

75Zag
07-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Could Zags be co-leader for Zylan?

No.

Go Bulldogs!

ZagaZags
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM
His scout profile

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6279722

About 9 Div 1 teams.

northsidezagfan
07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Peach Jam Scores (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/eybl-finals-at-the-nike-peach-jam-2k13/)
Zylan is playing in the Peach Jam with California Supreme. Had a tough 1st game shooting but had 12 boards. They play again at 6:00 Pacific.

ZagaZags
07-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Hmm...
Do you think staff is really making promises of playing time?

We are loaded at PF for 2014. Crazy to think we would say he could play 18-28 mpg. ( Insert sarcasm )

ZagaZags
08-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Has been ruled ineligible & will likely reclassify for 2015.

exclusivelee
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Has been ruled ineligible & will likely reclassify for 2015.

Apparently, Westwind Prep's classes are not being recognized by the NCAA, so every class Zylan Cheatham took there his Junior year will need to be taken over:

ShowTime#35 ‏@1KingZ4 23h
Can't play this year man, this is crazy..

ShowTime#35 ‏@1kingz4 23h
I have to retake every class I took last year, basically like I didn't even go to school my junior year????????????????

ShowTime#35 ‏@1kingz4 22h
I can still make the classes up, I just have to retake all them plus my senior classes guys. It's not over????

ShowTime#35 ‏@1kingz4 22h
RT "@_loveniya34 I wish Westwind would've told me about their NCAA problems before I planned on attending. Now everything is ruined."

ShowTime#35 ‏@1kingz4 18h
@verbalcommits not ineligible just have to retake my junior classes. I will be eligible

Oregonzagnut
08-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Few can promise whatever he wants but it will be contingent on the player living up to his promises as well. If/then statements are easy to promise and live up to if the player produces whatever they agree on.

But the PF position isn't exactly stacked up except maybe Wiltjer.

webspinnre
08-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Apparently, Westwind Prep's classes are not being recognized by the NCAA, so every class Zylan Cheatham took there his Junior year will need to be taken over:

Ouch.

ZagaZags
08-11-2013, 11:32 PM
1. Memphis
2. Arizona State
3. SDSU
4. New Mexico
5. Washington

HenneZag
08-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Wonder why we never pulled the trigger on him. Seemed like a talent we could use. Its no surprise we didn't make the list.

Im really hoping we can reel in Sabonis or a RT. We are in need for some bigs.