PDA

View Full Version : Josh Perkins to commit

ZagaZags
06-27-2013, 08:30 PM
I read on TSSF that Josh Perkins tweeted I'm going to commit Aug. 25th 2013. Mark my words I'm going to commit on my birthday Aug. 25th 2013. So we don't have to wait long to find out.

whatazag
06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Very interesting.
No idea what our odds are, like to think think this can only increase them.
25%? I'd take that.

ZagaZags
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I think higher than 25%

Malastein
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
50%?

ZagaZags
06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
50%?

Is a team that could mess things up. If Kentucky does not get the 2 PGs they offered, they could offer Perkins. Gonzaga has been on Perkins for a long time. At this time I would say 50%
I feel like it is a 2 dog race between UCLA and Gonzaga. Land Reid Travis and 50% goes higher.

HenneZag
06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
I will like our chances if he visits this weekend as scheduled. If we get Reid...like some posters think, I also believe our chances increase for Perkins.

DixieZag
06-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Wow.

Interesting. Did he follow up his visit here with any others afterwards? I have not seen that he did. If that is the case, it would definitely seem like it is UCLA or us - - and if it was necessarily UCLA, one might almost wonder why he even bothered to come here. Obviously, I am reading what I want into that.

Good find. Keep our fingers crossed. This could be a very important weekend. Hope Sam is here to host Reid. Seems that Minnesota people are tight with their neighbors.

VaBeachZAG
06-28-2013, 05:37 AM
I am fully on board with everyone else in hoping Perkins selects the Zags. Having said that, I just don't see that happening if he is determined to be one-and-done. It would mean a five star guard coming to a program where he would be the third guard option in his one year of college ball. I guarantee you no five star freshman guard (don't care who he is) will take minutes away from what will be the two best senior guards in the college game in 2014. Should he commit, Perkins will not be leading the Zags to the promised land in 2014, it will be Pangos and Bell.

Now if Perkins planned on staying beyond a single season then, yes, he would likely become the heart and soul of the team. As I said at the outset, I would still love to get Perkins, as much for the bump in national reputation for the program snagging a five star, as for his one year contribution to the team. Don't get me wrong, Perkins would get a lot of playing time as a freshman, I just don't know if he has the strength/quality of character to take being the third option as a freshman. Hope he does, and hope he comes...

bigparb
06-28-2013, 06:57 AM
I just don't know if he has the strength/quality of character to take being the third option as a freshman.

no offense, but what the hell do you know about Perkins strength/quality of character???.....probably as much as me, which is nothing......just a stupid thing to say.......

perhaps...."I hope he has has the strength/quality of character to sit behind to stud seniors while still getting 15-20 min per game in a backup role"????

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2013, 07:02 AM
I am fully on board with everyone else in hoping Perkins selects the Zags. Having said that, I just don't see that happening if he is determined to be one-and-done. It would mean a five star guard coming to a program where he would be the third guard option in his one year of college ball. I guarantee you no five star freshman guard (don't care who he is) will take minutes away from what will be the two best senior guards in the college game in 2014. Should he commit, Perkins will not be leading the Zags to the promised land in 2014, it will be Pangos and Bell.

Now if Perkins planned on staying beyond a single season then, yes, he would likely become the heart and soul of the team. As I said at the outset, I would still love to get Perkins, as much for the bump in national reputation for the program snagging a five star, as for his one year contribution to the team. Don't get me wrong, Perkins would get a lot of playing time as a freshman, I just don't know if he has the strength/quality of character to take being the third option as a freshman. Hope he does, and hope he comes...
UM.... Hmm, yeah

hooter73
06-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Thats a whole lot of speculation about him even being able to be a one and done, let alone wanting to be.

I want him here, I think it would be a good fit for the style of play Ive seen from him. I like what character Ive seen and read from him, but our chances are not stellar imo. If we dont get him, I for one will not panic. Kendall Small awaits.

...but yes, young Mr. Perkins, avoid the flash of other's big lights, you would have the real opportunity to create your own flash and big lights at Gonzaga.

CDC84
06-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Kendall Small awaits, but not until 2015. It would be more ideal to have a point guard groomed under Kevin Pangos. I think Gonzaga is going to bring in a 2014 PG, regardless of what happens with Perkins or Small.

CDC84
06-28-2013, 07:38 AM
FWIW = Perkins is now ranked at #18 with scout.com and #28 at rivals.com. Both sites updated their 2014 rankings recently.

cjm720
06-28-2013, 07:41 AM
KW and Melson are a great start to '14....let's add Perkins and Reid!

VaBeachZAG
06-28-2013, 07:58 AM
"Thats a whole lot of speculation about him even being able to be a one and done, let alone wanting to be."

You are right, that is a whole lot of speculation, especially when it is derived from speculation from others on this board that he will be one-and-done. Thus, I guess you would call it speculation on top of speculation. But, as it has been pointed out to me in previous posts (rather rudely by several), much of what this board is about is speculation. All I am saying is that if Perkins is of the one-and-done mindset, I would not expect him to come to a program where his minutes are likely more limited than with some other high profile programs. However, if he will remain in college multiple years, GU would be an ideal fit for him.

As for the cheap shot on my strength/quality of character comment, if that poster would have fully considered my post before flaming, it would be clear that I don't know Perkin's character. I was merely expressing my hope that Perkins is a team player and not the kind of player coming in expecting to immediately be the team star. Obviously, I am inclined to think the former, rather than the latter, since I closed my post hoping he would commit to GU.

hooter73
06-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Thread title needs to be changed away from something that will cause heart attacks upon first glance.

zagssuperfan
06-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Wow.

Interesting. Did he follow up his visit here with any others afterwards? I have not seen that he did. If that is the case, it would definitely seem like it is UCLA or us - - and if it was necessarily UCLA, one might almost wonder why he even bothered to come here. Obviously, I am reading what I want into that.

Good find. Keep our fingers crossed. This could be a very important weekend. Hope Sam is here to host Reid. Seems that Minnesota people are tight with their neighbors.

Per Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 26 Jun, "Josh Perkins is working on a visit to UCONN sometime before the dead period ends. If he doesn't get there soon, it will be in August."

I don't have a rivals account, so I can't read it, but that Ryan James guy posted this link http://t.co/XWZAAo5XJq with that quote. I'm guessing he talks about it in the article. Maybe someone with an account can tell us what it says.

ZagNative
06-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Per Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 26 Jun, "Josh Perkins is working on a visit to UCONN sometime before the dead period ends. If he doesn't get there soon, it will be in August."

I don't have a rivals account, so I can't read it, but that Ryan James guy posted this link http://t.co/XWZAAo5XJq with that quote. I'm guessing he talks about it in the article. Maybe someone with an account can tell us what it says.Here's part:
The Gophers will be up against some tough competition to land Perkins.

"You have Gonzaga, UCLA, USC, UCONN, Minnesota, Kentucky, and those are probably, I hope I'm not missing anybody, but those are the top schools," Perkins said.

Josh is also hearing consistently from Syracuse and Kansas plus has offers from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Stanford. When Perkins isn't hearing from schools he's been visiting college campuses and attending camps.

"He's been to UCLA (visited the campus with Rashad), Gonzaga, we were actually going to go to UCONN this week, we are going to know by the end of the day today if he can go to that," said Perkins. "There is such a short window of time to get in visits and to get to the camps before this dead period hits.

"If you don't get to these schools by the third of July you hit a dead period for an entire month. So he's trying to get to UCONN and Kentucky, so if he doesn't get that in this week we'll go to those places the first week of August.

"Every weekend it seems that if he's at a camp, and he loves to do it as he loves to get into the gym and compete against the best, but every weekend we are doing some kind of camp. He's at the Deron Williams Camp, he was at the Pangos, he'll be at the Adidas Nations, he has the LeBron event coming up, the Reebok Classic Camp coming up, and then we go into our busy season which is July where we go to Dallas and then Las Vegas so it's just one really busy summer."

VaBeachZAG
06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
"The Gophers will be up against some tough competition to land Perkins.

'You have Gonzaga, UCLA, USC, UCONN, Minnesota, Kentucky, and those are probably, I hope I'm not missing anybody, but those are the top schools,' Perkins said."

Almost mind-blowing to see GU on a list like that!!

NotoriousZ
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
"The Gophers will be up against some tough competition to land Perkins.

'You have Gonzaga, UCLA, USC, UCONN, Minnesota, Kentucky, and those are probably, I hope I'm not missing anybody, but those are the top schools,' Perkins said."

Almost mind-blowing to see GU on a list like that!!

This is a direct quote from Perkins? Nice to be #1 on his mind.

So......he comes Spokane tonight, or tomorrow?

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2013, 12:29 PM

So......he comes Spokane tonight, or tomorrow?

You're confusing Perkins and Reid. JP already visited.

ZagNative
06-28-2013, 12:31 PM

So......he comes Spokane tonight, or tomorrow?The quote is from his dad, Randy Perkins.

NotoriousZ
06-28-2013, 03:12 PM
You're confusing Perkins and Reid. JP already visited.

Yes I am. The heat is already getting to me. :doh:

Reid should have a great time at hoopfest.

ZagaZags
06-29-2013, 12:48 AM
58 more days.

ZagaZags
06-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Before Aug. 25th he plans to visit Kentucky and UConn. Josh Perkins will commit on Aug. 25th. At this time Kentucky has not offered.

HenneZag
06-29-2013, 09:07 PM
I know he wants to go where he will be nobody's backup, honestly who can guarantee that? Kentucky can't, GU can't realistically, Pangos and Bell will be on the floor, I just don't see few sitting Pangos or Bell to start going into their senior season. Uconn im not sure who they have coming in, but I think we are just as appealing. UCLA I guess can guarantee him to start in 2014. This sounds odd seeing that he is an amazing talent, but just how I feel. You have to earn your time, and put in the work and see where it takes you.

I know his summer is jam packed with basketball, wonder when he will fit those visits in.

Oregonzagnut
06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
58 more days.

At least he says we don't have to wait long....:explode:

willandi
06-30-2013, 07:00 AM
If he ends up at Kentucky, should we think of him as having been committed? Seriously though. If a school has a team already, they can't honestly guarantee a starting spot, and if they do, would you want to go to a school that would treat their established seniors (in the zags case) or their other incoming freshmen (in kentuckys case) like that? :cheers:

HenneZag
06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Looks like Perkins is a Kentucky lean to me, he is just waiting on the offer. Why would you visit if there was no offer on the table yet? Perkins wants to play 1-2 years and then go to the NBA, yeah he could do this at GU but I see him sharing minutes with Pangos and Bell. Mentally I am moving forward, and if we nab him then all the better.

ZagaZags
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I wish WooHoo would make one of his cartoon dreams with Travis and Perkins coming to Gonzaga.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I know he wants to go where he will be nobody's backup, honestly who can guarantee that? Kentucky can't, GU can't realistically, Pangos and Bell will be on the floor, I just don't see few sitting Pangos or Bell to start going into their senior season. Uconn im not sure who they have coming in, but I think we are just as appealing. UCLA I guess can guarantee him to start in 2014. This sounds odd seeing that he is an amazing talent, but just how I feel. You have to earn your time, and put in the work and see where it takes you.

I know his summer is jam packed with basketball, wonder when he will fit those visits in.

UConn has 5***** transfer from NC State R. Purvis (2014) who wants to play PG but is a more natural SG. 5***** D. Hamilton has committed for 2014. His natural position is SG. Ryan Boatright (PG/SG) will most likely be gone after this year leaving early regardless of his NBA draft projection. If Purvis plays the point more than 25 minutes a game UConn is in big trouble (all relative) in 2014. I think Perkins could get between 25-30 mins at the point for UConn in 2014

Kevin Ollie will try and sell Perkins on being more of a hybrid 1/2 with Purvis. Hamilton should be able to play the 3. Kentucky will decide if they even want to offer Perkins within the next several weeks. The longer the wait the more likely Perkins could bail on that offer (HOPEFULLY). Mudiay is #1 for Kentucky...

In all fairness I seriously doubt Mark Few will be able to compete with Kevin Ollie from a recruiting perspective for this kid despite the AAC being less than stellar with the 2014 departure of Louisville. Point is Gonzaga is not just as appealing as UConn with Kevin Ollie as HC. Hope I am wrong! :) lol

If Mark Few wanted to prove he is not just a fisherman by trade and March Madness gag artist (ok delete my post lol) he would be going hard after a guy like Paschal Chukwu.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/21/paschal-chukwu-2014-center-breaking-out-this-spring/

Chukwu will be one of if not the best big in the 2014 class IMO better than Okafor. The family he is staying with wants him to go to an catholic school. UConn has offered but they are not top on his list right now. The handcuffs come off Kevin Ollie today from the recruiting sanctions so the recruiting will pick up.

If I were Few I could easily rationalize Chukwu having the Zags on his final list with some effort (which I doubt will be forthcoming per the usual). Ollie will hit the west coast hard.

I have always thought highly of the Gonzaga basketball program and hoped they could up their recruiting game. My expectations are not high for PK next year based on his perceived work ethic (weight and conditioning) but he will do good in the WCC on put backs and uncontested interior moves (or just soft defense). Top flight defenses should shut him down next year and we all know he can't shoot free throws better than 60%. At least we have David Stockton in our back pocket for our big 2nd round NCAA game next March. In Stockton we trust per mark Few!

I think Boise takes the MWC this year.

I miss ya OZN!!! Sorry for the kinda negative post my friend! :) Have a safe and blessed summer.

Vxo

ZagaZags
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
53 more days.

ZagaZags
07-07-2013, 09:58 PM
49 more days. Get well Josh Perkins.

tlark420
07-09-2013, 07:36 AM
I am going to check Josh out at The Reebok Classic Breakout at Philadelphia University hopefully Thurs/Fri sessions. Hopefully his back is OK because he is going per the tweet below... Anyone else will be in attendance from the boards or that the zags are looking at? I see a Stephen Thompson on the roster ....Stephen Thompson Jr invited to the Reebok Breakout Challenge July 9-12 in Philadelphia!

@JoshPerkins03
Off to phili for reebok camp! ��✈#lesgoo

2k4knight
07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.usatodayhss.com/denver/article/regis-jesuit-star-perkins-leaving-a-year-early--344181#.UdxFDh8W5ZU.twitter

A little update on Perkins decision to leave Regis Jesuit to play at Huntington Prep his senior year.

hooter73
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I am going to check Josh out at The Reebok Classic Breakout at Philadelphia University hopefully Thurs/Fri sessions. Hopefully his back is OK because he is going per the tweet below... Anyone else will be in attendance from the boards or that the zags are looking at? I see a Stephen Thompson on the roster ....Stephen Thompson Jr invited to the Reebok Breakout Challenge July 9-12 in Philadelphia!

@JoshPerkins03
Off to phili for reebok camp! ��✈#lesgoo

be sure to wear some zag gear...

cjm720
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.usatodayhss.com/denver/article/regis-jesuit-star-perkins-leaving-a-year-early--344181#.UdxFDh8W5ZU.twitter

A little update on Perkins decision to leave Regis Jesuit to play at Huntington Prep his senior year.

Not looking too good for us...have high hoopes but the move to Huntington just points to BCS and hopefully the NBA.

tlark420
07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Rashad Vaughn, Josh Perkins Talking Package Deal

http://zagsblog.com/articles/rashad-vaughn-josh-perkins-talking-package-deal/

Package deals are all the rage these days.

LeBron, D-Wade and Chris Bosh did it.

Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow are talking about it.

And now so are a couple of other 2014 stars.

Rashad Vaughn, perhaps the top shooting guard in the Class of 2014, and Josh Perkins, one of the top point guards in the class, plan to huddle here this week to talk about potentially playing together.

“He’s a great player,” the 6-foot-3 Perkins, who is now sporting dyed blond hair, told SNY.tv here at the Reebok Classic Breakout.

“We wanted to go to the same high school but it didn’t work out so now we’re planning to play in the same college.”

Said Vaughn: “I’ve been talking to Josh Perkins about going to the same college, we’ve been talking about that…We’re probably going to sit down this weekend and talk about all that.”

Asked how good the two of them could be together in college, Perkins said, “It’s a great 1-2 punch. I don’t know a better shooting guard so it would be tough.”

Among the schools in the mix for both players are Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Minnesota and UCLA.

Josh PerkinsPerkins, who recently transferred to Huntington (W.V.) Prep, also lists USC, Gonzaga and UConn, and says he may cut his list soon.

The 6-5 Vaughn also lists North Carolina, Iowa State, Georgetown, Tennessee, Arizona, Syracuse, Texas and recently added an offer from UNLV.

He has not cut his list yet, and said Minnesota is the only one that will definitely make it. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino has made Vaughn a priority and is also working hard on Perkins.

“Minnesota definitely because they the home team,” Vaughn said of schools that will make his list. “That’s the only ones I know that’s definitely going to be on the list.”

“I’ll probably do it at the end of the summer, narrow my list,” Vaughn added, saying that he may trim it to eight.

Kentucky coach John Calipari texted Vaughn to let him know he would be here Wednesday to watch Vaughn play fellow 2014 Kentucky target Emmanuel Mudiay at 5 p.m.

Vaughn said Iowa State, Minnesota and North Carolina also texted to say they’d watch him.

“Feels good that [Calipari] is coming,” Vaughn said. “A lot of coaches coming so it feels good.”

Having offered Jones and Mudiay at the point, Kentucky has not yet offered Perkins.

“Waiting for an official offer,” Perkins said.

He is is dealing with a back injury that has kept him out of action for a couple of weeks and called it a “four or five” on a scale of 10 in terms of pain.

As for playing in front of Calipari later, Perkins said, “It would be good but I wish was 100 percent when he’s here, but you gotta play.”
Perkins said Baylor, Gonzaga, UConn, Minnesota and USC also told him they would be watching him.

He is planning on visiting Kentucky and UConn sometime in August.

“We start school Aug. 7 so it’s probably going to be after then,” Perkins said of those visits.

As for the UConn visit, Perkins said, “East Coast basketball is a little different but UConn’s a great program and we’re going to see what they have to offer.”

UCLA is also a possibility, since both players have already visited.

“I got a good relationship with the coaches, the facilities are real nice,” Vaughn said.

Vaughn is working with Robbinsdale Cooper assistant Pete Kaffey on becoming a more efficient scorer this summer.

“Prove I can play multiple positions and showing everything in in my game,” he said. “Be more efficient. Working on taking better shots and taking smart shots.”

Next week, Vaughn will team up at the Nike Global Challenge on the loaded USA Midwest team with Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander, among others.

“I don’t think we’re going to be able to lose so we’re going to be pretty good,” he said.

You have to figure a slew of coaches, especially from places like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina and others, will be tracking that team.

“It should be packed, the stands should be packed,” Vaughn said.

As for Wednesday night, Vaughn is looking forward toward going toe-to-toe with Mudiay in the first game.

“Every time we play we end up going at it all the time, so it should be fun,” he said.

Looking ahead, a Vaughn/Perkins duo could be pretty dangerous if one college program can pull it off.

“We want to play down the future and we want to win,” Perkins said, “so relationships at the end of the day mean a lot.”

cjm720
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Uggh...I personally need to faze out of the Perkins sweepstakes.

strikenowhere
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
ain't happenin', capt'n - time to move on.

BroncoZAG615
07-10-2013, 12:48 PM
ain't happenin', capt'n - time to move on.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

ZagaZags
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
And we know for sure.

HenneZag
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Obviously Few is still putting in the work and the time to get Perkins. I don't think he would waste his time if he feels he had no shot as he has been on him consistently from the beginning.

Is this article a reason for concern, absolutely. Obviously we are not recruiting Vaughn so if this holds true it would take us out of the running. You know Kentucky will offer, its annoying but its going to happen imo. Perkins seems to really want that offer which is another concern. He is a 1-2 year player in my mind.

Mentally I am not getting my hopes up. I am happy with Melson for 2014, and hopefully Small for 2015 if Perkins and the other PG prospects don't pan out. Will see how it shakes, still no out yet.

strikenowhere
07-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Alrighty, I get the point - I need to go back to self-delusional, koolaid-drinking mode. Maybe if we cross our fingers extra hard he'll come to the Zags. :pray:

On the other hand, Kendall Small seems like the way to go here - sure there's going to be growing pains in 2015 as he'll probably slot right in as a starter, but someone who actually loves the Zags and seems to want to play for them is a much better target.

Tmac5360
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Cross your fingers, don't cross your fingers. You have no control over it either way. And the rest of us don't either. But if you don't want to hear people hope like crazy he comes just don't read this thread. Don't come on hear #####in at people that want to dream it could happen.

BroncoZAG615
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't think it has to do with the amount of kool-aid I drink, strikenowhere, nor do I think I am delusional but feel free to judge as you will.

Package deals are discussed all the time in the recruiting world. Like, every July there are a bunch of top prospects that want to join forces in college. Out of all those discussions, I'd say about 10% happen. That percentage is MUCH lower when both players are likely to fall in the same position. Point guard + big man combo? That would worry me. But two guards that want the ball in their hands and want to be in the NBA sooner rather than later? I just don't see it.

The more I think about Perkins recruitment, the more I think UConn could be the biggest threat. They have singled him out as their top prospect at PG. With UCLA and UK, he's either 1A, 1B, or in Kentucky's case, closer to the 2nd option. Calipari is likely to have his pick of the PG litter leading off with Emmanuel Mudiay. They are also a huge threat, no doubt, but I am curious to see how the numbers shake out.

The Zags have a major uphill battle to land Perkins but I think it is far from a done deal that he is out of reach. It is going to be a fun, fun couple weeks.

hooter73
07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm one of the few that has never been on the Wiltjer and/or Perkins bandwagons. I'd be just as happy with an extra early Kendall Small commitment as I would be with an unlikely Perkins signing.

CDC84
07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
One reason why I agree with Bronco that UConn is a big threat is because Kevin Ollie is proving himself to be adept at west coasting recruiting. He just picked off Daniel Hamilton, a top 15 level player out of Los Angeles.

Remember when Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley said they wanted to be a packaged deal? Heck, they were high school teammates. Well, one went to UW and the other went to Texas. These things almost never happen.

ZagNative
07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Looks like Josh is struggling at the Breakout tournament:

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 19m

Josh Perkins is settling for jumpers and it isnt working out well for him. #breakout
Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster 4m

A lot of high-risk, high-reward plays from Josh Perkins. A lot of missed jumpers, too. Flashy, but inefficient game.

MickMick
07-10-2013, 07:01 PM
One reason why I agree with Bronco that UConn is a big threat is because Kevin Ollie is proving himself to be adept at west coasting recruiting. He just picked off Daniel Hamilton, a top 15 level player out of Los Angeles.

Remember when Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley said they wanted to be a packaged deal? Heck, they were high school teammates. Well, one went to UW and the other went to Texas. These things almost never happen.

Rotnei Clarke and Willie Warren were supposedly locks to be a package deal. One ended up at Oklahoma and the other at Arkansas.

Pargo the Destroyer
07-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Cross your fingers, don't cross your fingers. You have no control over it either way. And the rest of us don't either. But if you don't want to hear people hope like crazy he comes just don't read this thread. Don't come on hear #####in at people that want to dream it could happen.

Called reality man. Come join us. And last time I checked his opinion mattered just as much as yours. So relax.

Oregonzagnut
07-10-2013, 07:20 PM
IMO, the real answer is what Josh wants out of his life if the NBA doesn't happen. Will UConn or UK be a greater educational experience than Gonzaga? Not in my opinion. If Perkins' life values are in line with Gonzaga, Mark Few and the Jesuit small school atmosphere, he should choose Gonzaga.

Large BCS state schools are a completely different than small private schools. Apples and oranges.

On a basketball level UK is 5:1 odds at a national Championship, UConn is 60:1 and Gonzaga is 70:1. We are tied for 21st most likely to win it all.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/futures/

Zippyzaggy
07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
It is going to be a fun, fun couple weeks.

Fun????? If we ended up actually getting a Reid or Perkins I'd agree, if not....I'd rather go to the freaking DENTIST!

Is it really that much fun asking the prettiest cheerleaders for a date and getting turned down?

WOW, we got to ask for a date.....such fun, WHIPEEEEE!

At the end of the day there are NO brownie points for asking. Not saying not to ask, just wanting some results because it has been awhile since we had any. Whiff, whiff, whiff seems to be the motto of late. :mecry:

23dpg
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Fun????? If we ended up actually getting a Reid or Perkins I'd agree, if not....I'd rather go to the freaking DENTIST!

Is it really that much fun asking the prettiest cheerleaders for a date and getting turned down?

WOW, we got to ask for a date.....such fun, WHIPEEEEE!

At the end of the day there are NO brownie points for asking. Not saying not to ask, just wanting some results because it has been awhile since we had any. Whiff, whiff, whiff seems to be the motto of late. :mecry:

You don't get to go on a date with the prettiest cheerleader if you don't ask her first. Audentes fortuna iuvat!

Zippyzaggy
07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
You don't get to go on a date with the prettiest cheerleader if you don't ask her first. Audentes fortuna iuvat!

LOL, Yeah but I never had to ask. They always asked me.

Maybe that's why I am having such a difficult time dealing with all the nos? {evil-grin}

Oregonzagnut
07-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Bingo! If you don't ask you never know. What if you get a maybe? What if they show just a hint of interest? Better than nothing? Plus it helps if you are rich. Gonzaga has a rich basketball history even if it is grassroots and more recent. To make an analogy, you don't have to be great looking or rich. She just has to think you are.

But Gonzaga is rich AND good looking.

northsidezagfan
07-11-2013, 03:39 AM
Josh has also mentioned he would like to play with Reid Travis in college. I really dont think we have to worry about Josh's loyalty to another recruit taking away any chance we have of landing him. I'll stay on the bandwagon.

tlark420
07-11-2013, 06:47 AM
I will be heading down today after work...Zags are in the house per twitter... Anyone want me to pass anything along to the staff??? :)

cjm720
07-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Are we sure that any of our coaches are at the Reenok event? Gonzaga is not listed as a school in attendance per this link - http://www.reebokbreakout.com/college-roll-call-wednesday/

tlark420
07-11-2013, 09:05 AM
@BreakoutClassic: Virginia (head), Arkansas (head), UConn, Iowa, Gonzaga, Clemson, GTown, Northwestern, Marquette among the schools here already. #Breakout

cjm720
07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
@BreakoutClassic: Virginia (head), Arkansas (head), UConn, Iowa, Gonzaga, Clemson, GTown, Northwestern, Marquette among the schools here already. #Breakout

Cool, thx tlark.

tlark420
07-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Perkins was def turning heads especially with his died blonde hair... Kid sure can pass and would def have a different feel with him at the point... Bigger stronger more physical but don't get me wrong he's no Kevin Pangos with his shot and would have to make better decisions at the next level.. You could tell he was tired and a little bored and also not 100 percent with the back still an issue... Saw ucla assistant there and cal was in attendance yesterday. I also spoke with newly appointed Zag assistant Brian Michaelson and wished him well... Time will tell on both fronts...

ZagaZags
07-12-2013, 03:25 PM
44 more days.

laszagas
07-14-2013, 01:56 PM
This is from an article about a highly rated MN kid (6'6" Rashad Vaughn) transferring to Findlay Prep next year:

"Word circulated at the camp that Vaughn and highly ranked point guard Josh Perkins discussed playing together in college. Perkins is transferring from Denver-area Regis Jesuit High to Huntington Prep in West Virginia a rival of Findlay Prep for his senior season."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/top-prospect-vaughn-takes-his-talents-findlay-prep

hooter73
07-14-2013, 04:12 PM
the more I watch Perkins, the more I think his flash has gotten him as far as far as his actual game play. As a high schooler, he is mid level pretty good. But comparing him to our current players as freshmen - no its not fair to do - but Stockton passed better and Pangos shot as well as Perkins has shown to. Perkins has the natural athleticism which makes him a little better on D, but really, he knows how to make it look flashy and fun, and that gets him noticed.

If we get him, great. But hes not the second coming of any high level point guard ever known. And if he is as good as he thinks he is, then were just going to be looking for a replacement in one or two years anyway.

I'd take him, but when, excuse me, if he picks a big name school, it wont worry me a bit.

DixieZag
07-14-2013, 07:20 PM
the more I watch Perkins, the more I think his flash has gotten him as far as far as his actual game play. As a high schooler, he is mid level pretty good. But comparing him to our current players as freshmen - no its not fair to do - but Stockton passed better and Pangos shot as well as Perkins has shown to. Perkins has the natural athleticism which makes him a little better on D, but really, he knows how to make it look flashy and fun, and that gets him noticed.

If we get him, great. But hes not the second coming of any high level point guard ever known. And if he is as good as he thinks he is, then were just going to be looking for a replacement in one or two years anyway.

I'd take him, but when, excuse me, if he picks a big name school, it wont worry me a bit.

Very legitimate point about having him for two years - at most - and not comparing him to a seasoned guard like Pangos or Bell. I would note, however, that there are plenty of kids that have a ton of flash, a ton of raw skill that are not as highly rated or sought after. There is some real substance below that, admittedly fashionable flash he has, that has to be what is making people really want him.

ZagaZags
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
41 more days. ( 41 very long days )

cjm720
07-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Very legitimate point about having him for two years - at most - and not comparing him to a seasoned guard like Pangos or Bell. I would note, however, that there are plenty of kids that have a ton of flash, a ton of raw skill that are not as highly rated or sought after. There is some real substance below that, admittedly fashionable flash he has, that has to be what is making people really want him.

Starting to remind me a lot of Wroten

CDC84
07-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Starting to remind me a lot of Wroten

Not even close. In the past 20 years of recruiting, not many players have defined the phrase "rotten apple" more than Tony Wroten. He was universally acknowledged as a total headcase.

cjm720
07-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Not even close. In the past 20 years of recruiting, not many players have defined the phrase "rotten apple" more than Tony Wroten. He was universally acknowledged as a total headcase.

Talking more entitlement during recruiting...waiting on Kentucky specifically. Big egos are a dime a dozen I realize, but something about the way this kid is going about his recruitment reminds me of Wroten. Not style of play nor attitude, to be clear.