PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article about Washington products in the draft

ZaGranny
06-26-2013, 08:47 PM
http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2021277070_brewer27xml.html

Kelly Olynyk, Peyton Siva could be good picks in an uncertain NBA draft
Gonzaga big man Kelly Olynyk is projected to go in the middle of the first round of Thursday’s NBA draft. Peyton Siva, a guard from Franklin High School and Louisville, is a possible second-round pick.

In this inconspicuous NBA draft, it seems the strongest opinion is to have no opinion. Weak draft, many pundits are declaring it breathlessly, not bothering to remind you that even weak drafts produce a few memorable players. This year, it’s much easier to punt than predict who will stand out among a crop lacking a surefire superstar.

So there’s this notion the draft won’t have any intrigue without a Patrick Ewing or Shaquille O’Neal or LeBron James at the top. But if you’re a draft nerd like me — a prisoner of potential — you’re captivated by figuring out which team will make the right decisions in a class that could be fraught with busts.

“This could be a draft in which some of the late first-rounders, second-rounders and maybe undrafted players wind up having better careers than players drafted ahead of them,” said longtime draftnik Chris Monter, the editor and publisher of College Basketball News and Monter Draft News.

If that’s the case, you can understand this draft well simply by looking at the two most prominent players of local interest, Kelly Olynyk and Peyton Siva. They might define the 2013 draft better than higher-profile stars such as Ben McLemore, Nerlens Noel and Victor Oladipo.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

ZagaZags
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
I would take Ben McLemore.

ZaGranny
06-27-2013, 08:03 AM
http://www.krem.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/Olynyk-leading-areas-NBA-Draft-hopefuls-213268601.html

by KREM 2 Sports
KREM.com
Posted on June 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM
In all likelihood Kelly Olynyk will become the fifth Gonzaga player to be picked in the first round of the NBA Draft by Thursday night.
The 2013 WCC Player of the Year is predicted to go near the middle of the first round. Draft projections we saw Wednesday had Olynyk being taken anywhere from 11th to Philadelphia, to 22nd by the Nets.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-27-2013, 08:08 AM
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/06/26/kelly-olynyk-cross-continent-flight-brings-kamloops-star-back-home-for-2013-nba-draft/

Kelly Olynyk: Cross-continent flight brings Kamloops star back home for 2013 NBA draft

VANCOUVER — It’s only a grind if you don’t love it, and Kelly Olynyk loves it.

“It’s actually been more of a journey than a grind,” the 7-footer from Kamloops said late Tuesday night after a flight from Chicago had taken him to Atlanta for yet another of the many private workouts he has done for NBA teams in the grueling lead-up to Thursday’s NBA draft in New York. “It’s been tough, but at the same time, so fun and so exciting. In life, you are blessed to have the opportunity to chase your dreams. It’s something you can’t take for granted. This is something I have been chasing my whole life, and now, it’s right at my fingertips.”

It’s been 17 years since a B.C.-produced high school basketball player has been picked in the first round of the NBA draft, and of course Steve Nash has gone on to produce Hall of Fame credentials since the product of Victoria’s St. Michaels University School was picked 15th overall out of Santa Clara by the Phoenix Suns in 1996.

Yet it will also be the second straight year a B.C. product will be drafted, as Olynyk’s former college teammate at Gonzaga, Robert Sacre from North Vancouver’s Handsworth Secondary, was picked with the final selection of the 2012 draft by the Los Angeles Lakers.

More on Kelly at the link

ZaGranny