PDA

View Full Version : OT- First trip to Spokane in more than a decade...

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-25-2013, 06:49 PM
All -

I'll be in Spokane for two hours in about a week with a couple of kids who have never seen the great state of Washington. I plan to tour the Gonzaga campus briefly and grab some lunch. Where would you go? The Bulldog is closed. Arny's is closed. Is there anything else within walking distance of the campus that kids might like?

coolhandzag
06-25-2013, 08:33 PM
If your children are under 21, jack and dans before 9pm works.

bigblahla
06-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Wolffy's for great burgers, fries and shakes.

krozman
06-26-2013, 12:38 AM
I'm sorry if it's your only time in Spokane for a while a bar, sentimental as it might be for the poster, is just not good. Look at J&D, take a pic even, but don't eat there.

If I was forced to be within walking distance of Gonzaga, it would be probably:

1. Clover (913 E Sharp). New place, more upscale than your typical family restaurant but it's something you can remember as good food. Kids are kids. You tell the waiter what the kids like. A good chef can make it. Kids are easy. http://cloverspokane.com

2. Chapala (Hamilton and Nora). It's your typical family Mexican restaurant, but it's my absolute favorite only due to their spicy salsa being the best ever.

Walking distance really limits you here. Tell us you'll get in the car and your options multiply (the red lion inn, for example, is something your kids will remember for the fry bread and the chicken and it's not terribly far away.)

zagco
06-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Zagco always likes to treat folks to a calzone at Pete's.

SteelCityZag
06-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Zagco always likes to treat folks to a calzone at Pete's.

Agreed. There are other places, but calzone at Pete's is a classic.

gamagin
06-26-2013, 08:24 AM
on the NW corner of hamilton and boone (former location of David's Pizza) is a food court sort of place with half a dozen joints, from hot dogs to pizza & yogurt, called the Clementine.

It is right across the street from the new parking complex. btw, the same parking complex is now serving as the temporary COG and that might be open for basketball campers (I'm not sure). Check it. A sports apparel shop is also in the same (new parking) building, in the back (SW corner).

These choices are right on campus. You can walk to them and they would work well & possibly be of interest for kids.

Starbucks is a few doors to the north on the same block as the Clementine, along with Wolffy's hamburger joint, a bagel shop and a Pita Pit. All this is across the street from Jack and Dan's and draws a fairly good lunch hour crowd. Kids can eat at J&D's full pub menu by entering the back SE door and eating in the banquet room.

have fun.

Cavebear33
06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Hondo, Section 116 and I tried the new student's dining hall yesterday. It's called the Marketplace and is on the east side ground floor of the new parking garage. Right now its hours are limited due to the low numbers of students during summer. It was a buffet situation and probably not what you're looking for to entertain kids, but I don't know how many people are aware it's even opened as yet. The book store is also operating on the west side of the building, and has been for the past month. Both are huge compared to their old digs.

Birddog
06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Did they give you your AARP discount?

a13coach
06-26-2013, 12:07 PM
The answer is: Treat your kids to a calzone at Pete's!

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
The answer is: Treat your kids to a calzone at Pete's!

I'd heard that Pete's had closed. Is it in the same location as it was back in the early 1990s? If so, I've got my answer.

Thanks.