PDA

View Full Version : Potential "under the radar" Canadian '15/'16pg recruit

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Just came across this guy, he's just 16. Great size, great court vision; excellent true pg skills, already a great body that allows him to get to the hoop easily, a tad slow, odd hitch in his jumper, but it goes in very consistently. Supposedly Portland has already offered. He's outta Edmonton, like Manny Arop. Bob, GoZag, LIZF and any other big wig, if you guys think he's worth it, pass it on to you know who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s1fEgOovphE

sittingon50
06-25-2013, 07:15 PM
The Zag P.A. guy may be rooting for him to go elsewhere.

;)

Bing
06-25-2013, 07:18 PM
This looks like the Pierre Marie Altidore-Cespedes video.

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2013, 07:22 PM
This looks like the Pierre Marie Altidore-Cespedes video.

PMac was much quicker, but didn't have the jumper or true pg skills that this guy does. I think PMac's biggest obstacle was self confidence. Watching this kid, he's got swagger in spades.

hooter73
06-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Meh, maybe a serviceable to good 2 guard. Fairly slow and most of those drives would get stopped, chopped or blocked against even good 5A high school teams. That being said, looks like good handles, can move and shoot from anywhere on the floor. Sees the floor fairly well although I didn't see any big point guard skills on display. Anyone have any stats on him? It really is all but impossible to judge off of a highlight reel.

Mojo13
06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
If he wasnt even invited to the Canadian Cadet (U16) national team tryouts (let alone make the team) then he is probably not worth your time.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
If he wasnt even invited to the Canadian Cadet (U16) national team tryouts (let alone make the team) then he is probably not worth your time.

That's a pretty narrow minded view. If you look at the cadet roster, it was basically an all Ontario roster.

MDABE80
06-26-2013, 10:27 AM
D II kid right now...............maybe he'll improve.

Mojo13
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
What's your point? Ontario is where the vast majority of Canada's elite bball players come from. Bigger population, bigger immigrant population, better coaching, better AAU programs, the Raptors influence... I am from B.C. by the way and just being realistic.

You are not seeing much top tier talent going under Basketball Canada's radar right now. Doesn't matter what province they are from. They have ID camps all over the country.

I am the first to admit 16 is probably too early to know how a player will turn out. But I'd still suggest you set your sights elsewhere (higher).

Chris Egi? Justin Jackson? Jamal Murray? Marial Shayok?

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
D II kid right now...............maybe he'll improve.

he already has an offer from Portland. Oh.........I see what you did there. :doh:

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2013, 10:50 AM
What's your point? Ontario is where the vast majority of Canada's elite bball players come from. Bigger population, bigger immigrant population, better coaching, better AAU programs, the Raptors influence... I am from B.C. by the way and just being realistic.

You are not seeing much top tier talent going under Basketball Canada's radar right now. Doesn't matter what province they are from. They have ID camps all over the country.

I am the first to admit 16 is probably too early to know how a player will turn out. But I'd still suggest you set your sights elsewhere (higher).

Chris Egi? Justin Jackson? Jamal Murray? Marial Shayok?

My "point" is that you said he must not be good because he didn't make the cadet team. As i pointed out the cadet team was basically team Ontario, so using your logic, or lack thereof, no one oputside of Ontario is worthy of a schollie. See how silly your point was now?

Mojo13
06-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, my point is that if he didnt even get invited to tryout for the Cadet team then maybe he isnt that good. Not allot of meaningful D1 caliber players over the last few years are not part of the Canadian developmental teams in some way.

You are the one claiming that the Cadet team is Team Ontario (not true) and trying to use falty logic that I am claiming no one from outside of Ontario is scholarship worthy. Wow, what bug crawled up your ass?

If you want to take the time to look at the 2012 and 2013 Cadet team tryout rosters you'll see it represents the majority of provinces in Canada - including players from BC, AB, SK, ON, QC, NB and NS. As I said Canada Basketball holds ID camps all over the country.

Will some kids that don't partake in Team Canada programs at 16 turn out to be D1 players? Probably, but not many of substance.

OZZY
06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Sorry Spy, tend to agree with Mojo, if he is not on the national radar by now....

For example KP, KO and RS all where on the radar by year 10.

Now, there is some potential D1 guard talent coming up in BC though.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Sorry Spy, tend to agree with Mojo, if he is not on the national radar by now....

For example KP, KO and RS all where on the radar by year 10.

Now, there is some potential D1 guard talent coming up in BC though.

He already has an offer from Portland, they're D1 and in our conference.

As an aside, Otto Porter, who will be a top 4 pick in tomorrows NBA draft was a virtual unknown in high school because he didn't play AAU ball. There is good talent in lots of different places. Not saying this guy is GU worthy, just wanted to share it with everyone.

ZagaZags
06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Just came across this guy, he's just 16. Great size, great court vision; excellent true pg skills, already a great body that allows him to get to the hoop easily, a tad slow, odd hitch in his jumper, but it goes in very consistently. Supposedly Portland has already offered. He's outta Edmonton, like Manny Arop. Bob, GoZag, LIZF and any other big wig, if you guys think he's worth it, pass it on to you know who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s1fEgOovphE

Thanks for the post Spy.