PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pangos to Deron Williams Skill Camp today

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Per Twitter:
Kevin Pangos ‏@KPangos 3h

Off to New Jersey for the Deron Williams camp ✈🏀

The roster for the camp (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/point-guard-skills-academy/) isn't up yet, as far as I can tell, though it's supposed to be published today.

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Here is the college roster for college kids at the PG skills camp:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mqbTBrEOwMs/UckSQQwpFgI/AAAAAAABgJ0/mYgymUiqWxo/s576/2013-06-24%2520College%2520point%2520guard%2520camp.jpg

Some familiar names on among the HS kids attending the camp:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_wdtLref5yw/UckR2EEB5oI/AAAAAAABgJs/xojp84thpVA/s576/2013-06-26%2520HS%2520point%2520guard%2520camp.jpg

HenneZag
06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
I should have posted here on my response to Reid Travis, my bad.

Very cool that KP is in attendance. Be great if he can interact with some of our recruits such as Perkins/Reid/Kell as they are also in attendance.

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Media isn't allowed in until the 26th, so I imagine the news from the camps will be sparse until then.

Zagdawg
06-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Is Kevin the best recruiter that we have or what?

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Kevin smuggles an odd message out of camp:
Mitch McGary ‏@MitchMcGary4 1h

Chillen with @kpangos and Aaron craft!! Holding it down for the white dudes!!👌👍🏀

http://distilleryimage1.ak.instagram.com/36e752fade0911e2adfe22000a1fbd6c_7.jpg
Retweeted by Kevin Pangos

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 01:26 PM
From twitter:
Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster 5m

Gonzaga fans, Kevin Pangos just got stops on Kyrie on three straight possessions.

(That would be Kyrie Irving, of course.)

sittingon50
06-26-2013, 01:33 PM
He stopped Uncle Drew?

:eek:http://devour.com/video/uncle-drew/

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Is Kevin the best recruiter that we have or what?

KP is arguably the best ambassador ever for the program, Ronny notwithstanding. KP is bright, articulate, candid, mature beyond his years and a heckuva player to boot. A good nickname for him would be the Prime Minister.

DixieZag
06-26-2013, 03:11 PM
KP is arguably the best ambassador ever for the program, Ronny notwithstanding. KP is bright, articulate, candid, mature beyond his years and a heckuva player to boot. A good nickname for him would be the Prime Minister.

While I wouldn't argue how great an ambassador he is, I think this deserves a big "easy there tiger" comment - - he is "Ronnyesque" and has all the potential to be right there, someday. Not a knock on Pangos at all, you just can't equate someone to a lifetime hall of fame Zag until they have gone through a little bit more of life, right?

Just kidding, there is nothing not to love about him or Gary in terms of ambassadors, the thread and article on Gary was one that made me swell with pride - his comments about the program and sense of community responsibility are tremendous.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 03:27 PM
While I wouldn't argue how great an ambassador he is, I think this deserves a big "easy there tiger" comment - - he is "Ronnyesque" and has all the potential to be right there, someday. Not a knock on Pangos at all, you just can't equate someone to a lifetime hall of fame Zag until they have gone through a little bit more of life, right?

Just kidding, there is nothing not to love about him or Gary in terms of ambassadors, the thread and article on Gary was one that made me swell with pride - his comments about the program and sense of community responsibility are tremendous.

Disagree. KP and Ronny are both spectacular reps of GU but present very different qualities and strengths. Ronny has had the fortune of beating an awful illness and also sticking in the NBA for so long. He has a stage. KP won't be in the NBA but wherever he goes he will bring attention to GU.

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
From twitter:

Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 41m

@RobDauster How's he look compared to some of the other guards at Skills Academy?
Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster 32m

@slipperstillfit played really well actually. I was impressed.

Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 31m

@RobDauster He has had a strong stronger with the Canadian National Team to...sounds like he is poised for a big jump
Kevin Pangos ‏@KPangos 30m

Last workout of the D Will camp done.. Been a great 3 days with the top PG'S and bigs in college! S/O to @KyrieIrving for playin with us

Vanzagger
06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Disagree. KP and Ronny are both spectacular reps of GU but present very different qualities and strengths. Ronny has had the fortune of beating an awful illness and also sticking in the NBA for so long. He has a stage. KP won't be in the NBA but wherever he goes he will bring attention to GU.

KP won't be in the NBA as a shooting guard. If he plays exclusively pg here and leads us to a couple Final Fours, there is no reason to think he would not get consideration for the league.

He is a tough leader who is incredibly skilled. Let him play his natural position and don't sell him short. Same goes for GBJ.

DixieZag
06-26-2013, 03:59 PM

I never got that far in the argument b/c all I was saying is that both of them are great people through and through and was just ribbing you about giving a guy "Ronny" status before graduating.- - but if we are really going to argue on the merits here, I put to you that Ronny didn't need a stage, Ronny brought his own stage, Ronny WAS a stage. He went to every play on campus, knew every secretary's birthday and went to staff's kids soccer games. And he was famous as a Laker for dancing, flirting with actresses and acting for all the world like a guy loving life and not being too cool to enjoy an NBA life.

And Kevin will find his own way also.

bartruff1
06-26-2013, 04:06 PM

I don't think he can play in the NBA but...

I think he would be wasting his time in the NBA, his leadership and team building skills will take him far in whatever direction he wants to go. We will be reading about Kevin for a long time.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I never got that far in the argument b/c all I was saying is that both of them are great people through and through and was just ribbing you about giving a guy "Ronny" status before graduating.- - but if we are really going to argue on the merits here, I put to you that Ronny didn't need a stage, Ronny brought his own stage, Ronny WAS a stage. He went to every play on campus, knew every secretary's birthday and went to staff's kids soccer games. And he was famous as a Laker for dancing, flirting with actresses and acting for all the world like a guy loving life and not being too cool to enjoy an NBA life.

And Kevin will find his own way also.

Peace, Dix. I have never had the pleasure of ever meeting any of these fellows and am not privy to the kind of student exploits you describe. Both great young men. As Joe Pesci says in Goodfellas, "he"s very talented, lets just leave it at dat."

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
So, I start this thread to follow Kevin and to give honor to the fact that he's been invited to this prestige camp, and, surprise, surprise, Jazz brings the level down by announcing KP will never play in the NBA.

Can we please knock the negative #### off right now and just celebrate our good luck at having him on our roster for four years?

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
So, I start this thread to follow Kevin and to give honor to the fact that he's been invited to this prestige camp, and, surprise, surprise, Jazz brings the level down by announcing KP will never play in the NBA.

Can we please knock the negative #### off right now and just celebrate our good luck at having him on our roster for four years?

Are u kidding me? My praise for KP was unstinting. Bartuff agrees that it's not likely he will play in the NBA but your Pavlovian response was to see my comment and assail me and not any other poster who may agree with me. The consensus is tha KP has a wonderful career ahead of him on whatever he chooses to do. And our good fortune to have him two more years. The NBA is not a panacea.

OZZY
06-26-2013, 04:43 PM
From twitter:

(That would be Kyrie Irving, of course.)

The one that can't defend.................;)

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm not going to respond to Jazz's allegation that 6'1" Kevin Pangos isn't good enough to play in the NBA, despite 6'1" Trey Burke being in most mock draft top 10's, and despite David Stockton's 6'0" daddy making a pretty good living for 19 years in the league.

I have no doubt that Kevin intends to play in the NBA, and I'd be the last one to try to tell him it's a pipe dream.

I doubt that Kevin will be satisfied with just being a rosy-cheeked boy scout old codgers love calling their own.

maynard g krebs
06-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Casey Calvary didn't play in the NBA, Blake Stepp didn't. My hope for Kevin is that he has as good a last 2 years at GU as those guys; after that, who cares about the NBA. He'll make all the money a person should ever need playing basketball somewhere and have a great time doing it. All that really matters. Making mid-high 6 figures and living on the mediterranean sounds like a pretty good life to me.

DixieZag
06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Casey Calvary didn't play in the NBA, Blake Stepp didn't. My hope for Kevin is that he has as good a last 2 years at GU as those guys; after that, who cares about the NBA. He'll make all the money a person should ever need playing basketball somewhere and have a great time doing it. All that really matters. Making mid-high 6 figures and living on the mediterranean sounds like a pretty good life to me.

Kevin's future is unlimited. He has a level of maturity and perspective that I could only dream of at that age. He does have the talent to make a lot of money playing basketball. I don't know the league well, but I know enough that for some players, the "right situation" means everything. Perhaps he will land in a good spot in the NBA and is allowed to grow into the game like Nash did.

If not, like you said, playing for 400K and living in Tuscany or something equally exotic? Yeah, that would be fine by me.

Ultimately, IF he wants to, I suspect both he and his back court mate Gary fit the "coach mold" to a T- - if either one of them has the desire, they seem to me like coaches in uniform. Kevin has an assassins precision and Gary breaths team values.

bartruff1
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I believe Aaron Craft , under the advice and guidance of Assistant Coach Greg Paulus, is looking into a Rhodes Scholarship. Not a bad idea, IMHO.

Judge Burgess had more important things to do than just play basketball, and he was pretty good.

Zagdawg
06-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Good to see Kevin getting the job done and representing the Zags in camp.

Go Zags

DixieZag
06-26-2013, 10:13 PM
I believe Aaron Craft , under the advice and guidance of Assistant Coach Greg Paulus, is looking into a Rhodes Scholarship. Not a bad idea, IMHO.

Judge Burgess had more important things to do than just play basketball, and he was pretty good.

Wow, thanks for that, it is impressive.

And add, he is also at one of those upper tier B1G schools that takes academics very seriously and those guys (The OSU, UMich, Wisc, IU, NW) probably have serious academic demands.

Worthington
06-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Are u kidding me? My praise for KP was unstinting. Bartuff agrees that it's not likely he will play in the NBA but your Pavlovian response was to see my comment and assail me and not any other poster who may agree with me. The consensus is tha KP has a wonderful career ahead of him on whatever he chooses to do. And our good fortune to have him two more years. The NBA is not a panacea.

I don't agree with you often, but on this I do. Kevin is a great player, but his game doesn't translate very well to the NBA. Not a knock on him, just a simple observation IMO.

Zagcity
06-27-2013, 06:30 AM
I don't agree with you often, but on this I do. Kevin is a great player, but his game doesn't translate very well to the NBA. Not a knock on him, just a simple observation IMO.

Apparently, you folks are a spash away from the the cup half full ;)

jazzdelmar
06-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Apparently, you folks are a spash away from the the cup half full ;)

Yup, I appreciate Worthy's half a loaf assent. But seriously, can we shelf NBA talk about KP and GB for 18 months or so? It's pointless. All I was trying to assert is that like Mike and other Zags Kevin will carve out a brilliant career for himself well outside of pro hoops (unless he buys the Raptors:).

Oregonzagnut
06-27-2013, 06:53 AM
So Kevin Pangos really is 6'1"?

Maybe Pangos and Perkins will hit it off and Pangos can convince Perkins to roll with the Zags for 4 years!

bartruff1
06-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Full disclosure, other than the money, I have nothing but contempt for the NBA .... for it's basketball and it's culture...I wouldn't watch a game if someone paid me and I wouldn't want my kid to be associated with it .....except for the money of course.

I understand that nearly 75% of NFL and NBA players are broke 5 years after they are done playing... Stockton and Magic are not typical...

DixieZag
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Full disclosure, other than the money, I have nothing but contempt for the NBA .... for it's basketball and it's culture...I wouldn't watch a game if someone paid me and I wouldn't want my kid to be associated with it .....except for the money of course.

I understand that nearly 75% of NFL and NBA players are broke 5 years after they are done playing... Stockton and Magic are not typical...

Totally agree about disdain for NBA ball.

And boy are you ever right about the average players and money. Funny how Shaq is so looked up to by today's players and yet few of them are willing to do the work he did to market himself and prepare himself for life after basketball. He recently earned his PhD - I think in business, not positive which discipline, regardless, he is one of the few that earned a boat load while playing and will make MORE afterward.

zag944
06-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I think Gonzaga generally produces players with a good head on their shoulders and expect them to be relatively smart with their NBA money.

It's a dream for a lot of our players and I want them to live their dreams. That is by no means "wasting time". A lot of our guys have made a lot of money overseas, but I'm sure a lot of them would tell you that the NBA is the goal. So I'm really really rooting for our guys to have long and productive NBA careers.

(and for personal reasons, I can watch them play if they are in the NBA).