PDA

View Full Version : Donaven Dorsey

ZagaZags
06-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Washington or Gonzaga? Romar or Few? West or East? NIT or March Madness?
Coffee or a taco? Don't be shocked if Donaven Dorsey is next to verbal to Gonzaga.

Tom117
06-22-2013, 07:17 AM
I read that Dorsey is 6'6" now having grown 5 inches last year. Doctors say he isn't finished growing and could reach 6"9" by his senior year. His coach said if he gets to 6'9" then "watch out.":D

ZagAddict
06-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Coffee or a taco? Don't be shocked if Donaven Dorsey is next to verbal to Gonzaga.

This would be nice. Has Dorsey made an official visit to Gonzaga?

pbriz
06-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Is this based on the latest Scout.com article? If so, would someone summarize it?

HenneZag
06-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Unfortunately I could not read it either. I to would appreciate it if someone could summarize it.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Exerpt:
"It was just a different look, you know," Dorsey told Dawgman.com this week about his move away from ICP to Team Access. "With ICP, there were a lot of superstars on that team, butting heads a little bit. We're all trying to get our names out there, so the best fit was to leave and go to another place."

It's not as if Dorsey needs a ton of exposure to get his name out there. He already has five scholarship offers from the likes of Portland State, Gonzaga, Washington, Washington State, and Oregon State. "It surprised me a little bit. I didn't think it would take off like this," Dorsey said of his recruitment, adding that all of those offers have been standing rides for some time. "Most of the offers came last summer and coming into this school year. I was pretty shocked about it but it's been truly a blessing to have all this happen to me."

Dorsey added that two teams are sticking out for him currently. "I would say the two that are recruiting me the hardest right now are probably the University of Washington and Gonzaga," he said.

Former ICP teammate Silas Melson just verbally committed to Gonzaga this week. "I'm happy for him," Dorsey said when asked about Melson's decision. "He's a real good friend…and Kameron (Chatman), we've been through a lot together, so I'm happy for him." He talked about his plans to go to the UW Alumni game coming up and said he thinks he'll be taking an unofficial to Gonzaga whenever he gets a chance, when he's not playing basketball.

BobZag
06-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't mind at all seeing Dorsey and Reid be the next 2014 commitments. Would like to lockdown Small for 2015 soon, too.

HenneZag
06-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Reid and Dorsey would be a great pickup to say the least. UW worries me with Dorsey I know he grew up loving that program. Im hoping we can steal another one away from Romar.

Kiddwell
06-22-2013, 10:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/184284/donaven-dorsey

http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=8&c=1&nid=6357688

http://rivals.yahoo.com/washingtonstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Donaven-Dorsey-131315

Interesting how ESPN rates Dorsey a 3*; Rivals rates him a 4*; and Scout doesn't rate him at all. (What's up with Scout?)

ESPN rates Donaven the 4th best player in Washington, the 24th best player out West (one notch below Milas Melson).

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/region/west/class/2014/view/region

:]

HenneZag
06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Both Dorsey and Melson could jump up the rankings. It seems like players from Washington and Oregon don't get the respect as much as the guys from Cali. Its ok, keep them just under the rador a lil.

maynard g krebs
06-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Interesting how ESPN rates Dorsey a 3*; Rivals rates him a 4*; and Scout doesn't rate him at all. (What's up with Scout?)

ESPN rates Donaven the 4th best player in Washington, the 24th best player out West (one notch below Milas Melson).

When I saw him in March against Franklin, I posted that I thought he was underrated as a 3 star and looked like a top 100 player. Some time during the spring, Rivals moved him up from about the 130's to 92 in their rankings. Scout is notorious for their rankings being out of date, and I think that's the case with ESPN as well here.

The post about him growing 5 inches in the last year probably a major factor in this; at 6'1 he'd be an ordinary player; good but maybe not high major caliber. IMO a big part of what makes him special is that he can really handle the ball at 6'6; apparently he played guard when he was smaller. Against a big, fast athletic Franklin team that pressed nonstop as long as the game was competitive, he brought the ball up a large portion of the time. Pretty good court awareness too; knew where people were when double teams came at him.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Maynard never fails me... What a smart, observant guy...

Zagdawg
06-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Would love to see Dorsey as a Zag-- especially if he put on another inch or two as a small forward.

Zagdawg
06-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Most recent videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BGQ2YkfTbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOuePUxOMZQ

maynard g krebs
06-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Would love to see Dorsey as a Zag-- especially if he put on another inch or two as a small forward.

Already has good size for a college wing; if he grew a couple more inches his list of suitors would grow along with him. My guess is it will anyway this summer.

Not to compare him to Adam, but Adam looked like he belonged in the McDonalds game during state his senior year, and he was a 3 star. Underrated as a senior because he grew late and people didn't know about him.

Worthington
06-22-2013, 11:53 AM
His ceiling is very high, if he grows to 6'8 then he's atleast a top 50 recruit. From what I've seen, right now it looks like he's still figuring out just how dominant he can be...when it all comes together, watch out

cggonzaga
06-22-2013, 12:55 PM
If there is 80 guys better than dorsey or Melson, I'd like to see them. As BZ said,get dorsey and Travis and anything after that is just gravy. That class may even sway a Perkins or Pope.

HenneZag
06-22-2013, 01:02 PM
A commitment from Dorsey or Reid (visiting) Next weekend would be very attractive to perhaps Perkins or Pope. I would consider the 2014 class a success if we could just get Reid and Dorsey to commit.

cggonzaga
06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I get a feeling if Perkins were to commit elsewhere, we get an immediate commitment from Small. We must get Small if we lose out on Perkins. I think a Small commitment gets us a Stephen Thompson Jr. commitment as well.

basketballzag
06-22-2013, 01:59 PM
I have a strong suspicion that Dorsey will be a Zag too based on everything I've read.

MTZag03
06-22-2013, 03:29 PM
I went to both Gonzaga and UW. Trust me...Gonzaga is a home. UW is an institution.

DixieZag
06-22-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a strong suspicion that Dorsey will be a Zag too based on everything I've read.

While I admit to being blindly biased, I just cannot see how even a neutral commit could pick the UW over Gonzaga. It just seems so obvious that they do less with more than any other school in the west.

The one exception would be a west side kid that, for various family reasons, really needs to stay close to home - I would never question a judgment based upon family or something like that.

maynard g krebs
06-22-2013, 06:09 PM
His ceiling is very high, if he grows to 6'8 then he's atleast a top 50 recruit. From what I've seen, right now it looks like he's still figuring out just how dominant he can be...when it all comes together, watch out

Very well put.

madness
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
You also have to love the fact that he is good buddies with Silas. Silas committing first could be GU's biggest asset in recruiting Dorsey.

SWZag
06-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Would love to see Dorsey in a GU uni.

SWZag

ZagaZags
06-22-2013, 10:13 PM
This would be nice. Has Dorsey made an official visit to Gonzaga?

Not yet.

HenneZag
06-23-2013, 07:59 PM
He attended the Alumni game today @ UW. Alot of NBA guys that played. He seemed pretty excited on his twitter. Wonder how this may of swayed him. I believe he will pick between us and UW kinda like the Melson situation. Fingers crossed.

Zagdawg
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
We need to bring back the Toyota charity classic---it was a good event.

If you were a player ....it would be painful watching your friends play in the dance every year.....while a team you are on (if he chose UW) sits at home.

hooter73
06-23-2013, 09:58 PM
I want him. He's a little wild and dangerous on getting to the rim which says UW to me, but he already showcases such a complete skill set AND he uses the backboard and lay-ins as much as anything, which as stupidly inconsequential as it sounds, it says "quality basketball" to me. You say "quality basketball," I hear "GU."

HenneZag
06-24-2013, 07:49 AM
We need to get Dorsey on campus....soon! If we don't I feel like we will lose out. I have been creeping on his twitter (im off today ok, don't judge) seems like he really enjoyed interacting with alum from UW, guys like Terrence Ross/Jamal Crawford/Nate Robinson etc. Definately a strong recruiting tool and its easy to get caught up in it. I think the time is now to turn on the burners or I see him fading into the Mist of the Seattle air.

maynard g krebs
06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
We need to get Dorsey on campus....soon! If we don't I feel like we will lose out. I have been creeping on his twitter (im off today ok, don't judge) seems like he really enjoyed interacting with alum from UW, guys like Terrence Ross/Jamal Crawford/Nate Robinson etc. Definately a strong recruiting tool and its easy to get caught up in it. I think the time is now to turn on the burners or I see him fading into the Mist of the Seattle air.

The home team is always tough competition, particularly when they've produced millionaires at your position. But by the end of summer I think the competition will include bigger fish than UW.

The selling point for the Zags, I think, is what Morrison and Daye did at his position. I'm guessing they'll emphasize that strongly.

ZagaZags
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Donovan Dorsey to UW.

madness
07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Crap, PAC-12 getting some good commits the past few days.

MDABE80
07-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Big loss.......but we have better in the pipeline. Too bad......lots of major skills to develop. Romar will never develop his skills. We could and would but so be it. Best wishes to the kid.

CDC84
07-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Frankly, I would rather have Malik Pope or Zylan Cheatham. The problem is that those guys are going to be more challenging to grab than an in state kid who is currently a borderline top 100 prospect. The staff really, really need to bring the big guns and land either Pope or Cheatham. They don't want to be left scrambling for a backup plan.

I think this 2014 wing they are after needs to be 6-6+. With the commitment of Silas Melson (who is insanely underrated but undersized), they need more size on the perimeter. That is what was appealing to me about Dorsey as a prospect. But I won't be thinking much about his commitment to UW if Few and Co. land Malik or Zylan.

SWZag
07-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Donovan Dorsey to UW.

Bummer!! Was really hoping he'd be a Zag.

HenneZag
07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Im hoping we have a legitimate shot at MP. We need a game changer at the wing, something we have lacked.

dawgfather11
07-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Big loss.......but we have better in the pipeline. Too bad......lots of major skills to develop. Romar will never develop his skills. We could and would but so be it. Best wishes to the kid.

really? am I just missing all of the Gonzaga players on NBA teams? I love Kelly O though and I think Brad Stevens is the best thing that could of happened for him, but you don't have 7-8 former players currently playing in the NBA without developing their skills.

I'm not saying that GU doesn't develop their skills, because they do. But to say that Romar doesn't is just silly.

cjm720
07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Would have been a great get, oh well. Best of luck to him.

ZAGGED OUT
07-09-2013, 09:20 AM
really? am I just missing all of the Gonzaga players on NBA teams? I love Kelly O though and I think Brad Stevens is the best thing that could of happened for him, but you don't have 7-8 former players currently playing in the NBA without developing their skills.

I'm not saying that GU doesn't develop their skills, because they do. But to say that Romar doesn't is just silly.

DawgFather, it's far from silly. You had two first rounders last year and you couldn't even make the tourney? Didn't that team lose to Albany? Romar is a pretty good recruiter but that's all he is. Those guys that went to the league were already going to the league before they got to UW purely because of their talent. Romar recruits, he doesn't develop.

dawgfather11
07-09-2013, 09:44 AM
DawgFather, it's far from silly. You had two first rounders last year and you couldn't even make the tourney? Didn't that team lose to Albany? Romar is a pretty good recruiter but that's all he is. Those guys that went to the league were already going to the league before they got to UW purely because of their talent. Romar recruits, he doesn't develop.

so none of those guys improved over their time at UW then? He's had 2 one n dones that you could maybe say that about, but the rest have all developed and improved by leaps and bounds under him, and it's either ignorance, bias or plain stupidity to say otherwise.

MDABE80
07-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Joe...no worries. You missed the implication. You at UW measure success in development of a player by getting him into the NBA.
I don't.
Since the huge majority don't see the NBA, I look at how kids develop who DO NOT go in NBA. As an aside, the kids that went NBA from UW hardly were dependent on development. They didn't get it anyway. Those kids were mostly the one and done types.....Hawes and the two from last (2011-2012) year would be examples. Heck they just put in their time and bolted.

No I'm talking about the kids who are not the "flashes". The usual kids simply sit there and hardly change except for physically maturing from working out and hitting the weights.

Dorsey will be another example. How many kids like him, talented and lots of potential are developed in their skills? Hell UW can hardly make a free throw let alone win your own league and then get into the NCAA tournament. Why? They simple don't develop.
UW has returned to the "basketball graveyard" it always was.
How many kids like Dorsey (who I think has tons of underveloped talent) ever see Pac 12 accolades. Not many. The one and done kids do but again, they are NBA/D-league ready.

What happens these days at UW is the Romar finds some ready made NBA type kids and they tug the rest of the team along with them. When they leave UW falls on its face. Why? Few are developed. Look at each kid who does NOT go NBA and you'll see most don't change in their skills.

Romar has your program in retreat. Great recruiter but not much in player development and coaching. He ought to be embarrassed. 2 big time NBA caliber kid at the same time and he just watched.

Thank you DF'er.

Zagdawg
07-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Now Abe.......look what romar did for Abdul Gaddy -- the #14 recruit in the nation and #2 point guard in the country -- he developed his skills-- but in a reverse fashion.

Not too many coaches can take a player of his skill and reverse the development.

Gaddy
FT%
YR 1 = 81.8%
YR 2 = 69.1%
Senior Yr 3 = 65.9%

TO
YR 1 = 1.2
YR 2 = 2.1
Senior Yr 3 = 3

PF
YR 1 = 1.8
YR 2 = 2.4
Senior Yr 3 = 3

3 PT %
YR 1 = 40.6%
YR 2 = 33%
Senior Yr 3 = 30.9%

cjm720
07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Gaddy tore his ACL.

Let's stay classy folks...we are Gonzaga.

sittingon50
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Yeah, just wish the kid well. His family & friends will have a much easier time getting to his games. That means a lot to many families; it would to me.

Good Luck, Donovan.

Kiddwell
07-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Yeah, just wish the kid well. His family & friends will have a much easier time getting to his games. That means a lot to many families; it would to me.

Good Luck, Donovan.

Yeah, go get 'em, Donovan. Except when you play the Cougs (or, theoretically, the Zags).

maynard g krebs
07-09-2013, 10:29 AM
People are comparing apples and oranges here; some truth on both sides. In fairness, DF is right to some extent, as is Abe. GU plays better team basketball on the college level, but to some extent the individual has to sacrifice for the team, as say Bell and Pangos did last year.

Romar gives his perimeter players free rein to create and showcase themselves, and guys like Robinson and Thomas, 3 star kids, become significant NBA players. Bobby Jones, borderline top 100 recruit, gets on NBA floors, as does walkon Will Conroy. Brandon Roy goes from 35-40 type hs player to NBA allstar. Ross got drafted higher than he projected out of hs.

GU is a better college team; UW is a better NBDL team for wing players and small guards. Can't fault Dorsey for his choice; he'll have a bunch of NBA mentors.

ZagNative
07-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Maynard brings some sanity to the discussion, as usual.

For myself, I'm turned off by the UW-bashing of some here. I think we're better than that, and it seems classless to me.

Coug Tracks
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Joe...no worries. You missed the implication. You at UW measure success in development of a player by getting him into the NBA.
I don't.
Since the huge majority don't see the NBA, I look at how kids develop who DO NOT go in NBA. As an aside, the kids that went NBA from UW hardly were dependent on development. They didn't get it anyway. Those kids were mostly the one and done types.....Hawes and the two from last (2011-2012) year would be examples. Heck they just put in their time and bolted.

No I'm talking about the kids who are not the "flashes". The usual kids simply sit there and hardly change except for physically maturing from working out and hitting the weights.

Dorsey will be another example. How many kids like him, talented and lots of potential are developed in their skills? Hell UW can hardly make a free throw let alone win your own league and then get into the NCAA tournament. Why? They simple don't develop.
UW has returned to the "basketball graveyard" it always was.
How many kids like Dorsey (who I think has tons of underveloped talent) ever see Pac 12 accolades. Not many. The one and done kids do but again, they are NBA/D-league ready.

What happens these days at UW is the Romar finds some ready made NBA type kids and they tug the rest of the team along with them. When they leave UW falls on its face. Why? Few are developed. Look at each kid who does NOT go NBA and you'll see most don't change in their skills.

Romar has your program in retreat. Great recruiter but not much in player development and coaching. He ought to be embarrassed. 2 big time NBA caliber kid at the same time and he just watched.

Thank you DF'er.I am not sure GUs record of developing players is any better or worse than the UW. I also wonder if the impact fans believe coaches/staff have on players is a bit misplaced as well.

When Olynk came in as a Cougar fan the potential he had as a 4 was impressive. However, over the next few years he seemed content being a 7'0" 2-guard. I don't know if it was the staff that turned that around but at the end of the day it was Olynk who had to put in the time, work, and change his mentality to become the player you saw last year.

Again, as a Cougar fan looking at both programs I wouldn't say either has done a great job consistently developing players. Still, I see examples for both programs where players have developed from somewhat raw talents into relatively complete college players. For the UW, Justin Holliday and Bobby Jones come to mind. I probably would include Isiah Thomas in there as well. For GU Olynk obviously stands out but there are examples on the other end that GU fans seem to dismiss.

dawgfather11
07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
People are comparing apples and oranges here; some truth on both sides. In fairness, DF is right to some extent, as is Abe. GU plays better team basketball on the college level, but to some extent the individual has to sacrifice for the team, as say Bell and Pangos did last year.

Romar gives his perimeter players free rein to create and showcase themselves, and guys like Robinson and Thomas, 3 star kids, become significant NBA players. Bobby Jones, borderline top 100 recruit, gets on NBA floors, as does walkon Will Conroy. Brandon Roy goes from 35-40 type hs player to NBA allstar. Ross got drafted higher than he projected out of hs.

GU is a better college team; UW is a better NBDL team for wing players and small guards. Can't fault Dorsey for his choice; he'll have a bunch of NBA mentors.

Pretty well said Maynard

maynard g krebs
07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Maynard brings some sanity to the discussion, as usual.

For myself, I'm turned off by the UW-bashing of some here. I think we're better than that, and it seems classless to me.

I'm all for UW bashing, but I like it to be factual, based on things like Romar being a chicken and playing Venoy when he should have been kicked off the team.

Bash where bashing is due; give credit where credit is due.

dawgfather11
07-09-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm all for UW bashing, but I like it to be factual, based on things like Romar being a chicken and playing Venoy when he should have been kicked off the team.

Bash where bashing is due; give credit where credit is due.

if only more people here had this attitude we could have some great bantering!

MDABE80
07-09-2013, 01:42 PM
amen df'er... zn's grumpy today:)

Kiddwell
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
if only more people here had this attitude we could have some great bantering!

We need to revive the GU-UWKFC rivalry if for no other reason than to get Dawgfather's regular contributions again. :p

basketballzag
01-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Sounding like all is not well in Husky land with Donaven Dorsey. A transfer at the end of the season maybe in the cards. Hearing that Romar and Dorsey had a verbal altercation on the court at the Stanford game and he sent Dorsey to the locker room before the game was over.

SWZag
01-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Sounding like all is not well in Husky land with Donaven Dorsey. A transfer at the end of the season maybe in the cards. Hearing that Romar and Dorsey had a verbal altercation on the court at the Stanford game and he sent Dorsey to the locker room before the game was over.

If that's true, they've just lost Jahmel Taylor (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskymensbasketball/2015/01/01/jahmel-taylor-is-transferring/) and earlier lost Tristan Etienne (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskymensbasketball/2014/10/06/tristan-etienne-leaves-washington/). Hmm...

Sure respect our guys who don't necessarily get playing time but stay with it through thick and thin to help the team.

Zagdawg
01-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Romar may have another that needs to be cut loose.

"Washington has 10 scholarship players, three fewer than the NCAA limit. Two Huskies (Shawn Kemp Jr. and Anderson) are seniors and will leave after the season due to graduation, which opens up five spots on the roster.

Washington is bringing in a touted 2015 class that includes six players, which means at least one more roster reduction is forthcoming."

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskymensbasketball/2015/01/01/jahmel-taylor-is-transferring/

Bogozags
01-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong (am sure someone will...lol) but D1 schools can only sign a max of five players per school year...that being the case does anyone have the phone number for Dorsey...I'll be happy to call him and let him know that all recent transfers have been very happy at GU! Do you think Coach Few could use my help in getting Dorsey to move a tad EAST?

jazzdelmar
01-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Dorsey better than what we have ? A three star who is shooting 38% from the field.

Bogozags
01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Dorsey better than what we have ? A three star who is shooting 38% from the field.

Jazz, when was the last time we had a THREE shoot 38.5% from Three-Land? At 6'6" he sure would fill the void of KD and Eric McClellan...yes his FT% is not lovable but am sure Coach Few or another staff member can get that turned around. I say get him, nothing but upside...IMO

Zagdawg
01-06-2015, 02:55 PM
From when we were recruiting Dorsey as a junior in high school.

"The relationship continues to get better," the Rivals 150 recruit explained. "They (the Gonzaga coaches) were at my games and showing their interest. They are always calling me and talking to me. It really shows they care. Coach Few has been talking to me a lot more and to have that means a lot."

Living just across the state, Dorsey was able to have a unique perspective on the historic Gonzaga season. (talking about #1 ranking)

"That was great," Dorsey said of Gonzaga's success. "Coach Few and his staff, they work really hard, and they made it to the top. It was amazing to watch that and they brought me in and made it feel like I was part of it. It was really cool to be part of that."

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014-gonzaga-recruiting/2013/4/4/4182908/gonzaga-remains-heavily-involved-with-donaven-dorsey

Dorsey looks like the odd man out as romar has 4 more forwards coming in next year.

seacatfan
01-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Arizona just lost a promising freshman PF today that wasn't getting much playing time thus far in the season. There are so many transfers currently in college bball. Just the way it goes in the current times.

Zagdawg
01-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Craig Victor looks like he is going to be a good pickup for whoever gets him.

seacatfan
01-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Craig Victor looks like he is going to be a good pickup for whoever gets him.

Yeah, I was bummed when I saw the news. Didn't see that coming.

maynard g krebs
01-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Stats need to be in context. He has taken 42 shots, and 39 are 3's. 1/3 on twos, 15/39 on 3's, .385. That's darn good for a fr playing 12 minutes a game on a bad offensive team and getting 3 shot attempts a game.

Was borderline top 100; in and out. About highest possible 3 star. When I saw him at State last year v Franklin, an "athletic inner city" team that pressed all game, he was the primary ball handler in the press break and did it well. On the hs level he was impressive at taking it to the basket and finishing; my guess is he's frustrated with the catch and shoot role Romar is limiting him to. A little like Wiltjer was used at UK in that he has the ability to do more.

I wouldn't say he's "better" than what the Zags have, but I was disappointed when he chose UW, and if the staff/players want him and he wants to transfer in, I'd say hell yes.

I don't believe for a second that he's being recruited over and forced out; he's as good as the guys that UW has coming in imo.

DixieZag
01-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Stats need to be in context. He has taken 42 shots, and 39 are 3's. 1/3 on twos, 15/39 on 3's, .385. That's darn good for a fr playing 12 minutes a game on a bad offensive team and getting 3 shot attempts a game.

Was borderline top 100; in and out. About highest possible 3 star. When I saw him at State last year v Franklin, an "athletic inner city" team that pressed all game, he was the primary ball handler in the press break and did it well. On the hs level he was impressive at taking it to the basket and finishing; my guess is he's frustrated with the catch and shoot role Romar is limiting him to. A little like Wiltjer was used at UK in that he has the ability to do more.

I wouldn't say he's "better" than what the Zags have, but I was disappointed when he chose UW, and if the staff/players want him and he wants to transfer in, I'd say hell yes.

I don't believe for a second that he's being recruited over and forced out; he's as good as the guys that UW has coming in imo.

As one who has no clue about his game/position - if you saw him in HS (as you've seen many) and were impressed, good enough for me.

Go get him. He likely would likely love the change in program culture. Every huskie convert, from Brown forward, has.

kitzbuel
01-06-2015, 06:50 PM
His 3 pt % is awfully close to his ft %. He can use some work on that part. Or shoot his free throws from further back.

Zagdawg
01-06-2015, 08:10 PM
He has shot 7 FT's this year-- made 3 of them-- he may need a few more to get into a rhythm.

GoZags
01-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Hearing there's more "smoke" than "fire" to the Dorsey rumor. All "seems" well in Huskyville vis a vis this issue, per some folks close to the situation..

HenneZag
01-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Hearing there's more "smoke" than "fire" to the Dorsey rumor. All "seems" well in Huskyville vis a vis this issue, per some folks close to the situation..

I figured. Us fans like to take anything we can grab onto and run with it. I was bummed that we missed out on him, and if we ever have the opportunity to snag him, i'm all for it.

GoZags
01-07-2015, 08:07 AM
I figured. Us fans like to take anything we can grab onto and run with it. I was bummed that we missed out on him, and if we ever have the opportunity to snag him, i'm all for it.

FWIW, Gonzaga didn't "miss out" on him.

The staff really liked Silas, and once it was apparent that he decided to come, they laid off on a number of other kids ..... as they got the guy they really wanted.

HenneZag
01-07-2015, 08:12 AM
FWIW, Gonzaga didn't "miss out" on him.

The staff really liked Silas, and once it was apparent that he decided to come, they laid off on a number of other kids ..... as they got the guy they really wanted.

So we got Silas basically in place of Dorsey? I was assuming Dorsey was a wing and Silas more of a 2 guard. I have been wrong many times, I just figured Romar snagged one from us.

GoZags
01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
So we got Silas basically in place of Dorsey? I was assuming Dorsey was a wing and Silas more of a 2 guard. I have been wrong many times, I just figured Romar snagged one from us.

That is the way it was explained to me (even before Dorsey committed to Washington).
--------
FWIW this Fran Frascilla tweet after the SMU opener generated a great deal of Silas "hype" ...
https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/535289708356861952
User Actions
Follow

Fran FraschillaVerified account
‏@franfraschilla
Portland's Silas Melson may be the best NBA prospect on Gonzaga's and he's REDSHIRTING this year. (BTW, that info comes from Mark Few.)
-----
And while the sentiments were true ... Few's point (missed by Fran) was that Melson "may be the best NBA prospect" after he'd developed ... i.e. spent some time in the program. Not as a "one and done" kind of guy.

basketballzag
01-07-2015, 05:40 PM

Keep en eye on his demeanor when the Huskies play on TV next.....wait that might be awhile because I rarely see them on TV.

maynard g krebs
01-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Keep en eye on his demeanor when the Huskies play on TV next.....wait that might be awhile because I rarely see them on TV.

Pac 12 network has more Husky games that I care to watch.