PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk draft predictions

Malastein
06-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Where does everybody think he is going at this stage in the game?

My guess is he goes 11th to the 76ers. He'd pair well next to Bynum(asauming he re signs and is healthy). Possibly an All Star for 1-2 seasons 4-5 years down the line.

Zagpower
06-22-2013, 06:52 AM
#10 to Blazers

CanadianZagFan
06-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Here is a link to a great article on Draftexpress, it compares the stats to all the power forwards in the draft, Kelly ranks extremely well. http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-the-2013-Power-Forward-Crop-4280/

75Zag
06-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Except for the highest lottery picks, many small market teams can't afford to make an NCAA player their first round pick and then park him on the end of the bench for a few years and wait for him to develop. I predict lots of small market teams will go with European unknowns and leave them in Europe. Teams who urgently need front line help NOW (76ers, Blazers) are unlikely to gamble on KO as I think he is 3 - 4 years away from making a major contribution at the NBA level (if it ever happens, which remains a significant question mark). That leaves big market teams who may view KO as a nice addition to the end of their bench or one of the wealthier small market teams who don't really need him but who can always use an extra big with a nice offensive touch to use in combination with their existing big men.

My guess is Chicago, although I could see the Thunder taking him.

Go Bulldogs!

bartruff1
06-22-2013, 07:31 AM
I think Kelly will be drafted in the middle of the first round...

is good enough to play in the NBA for a few years...after that to play in Europe if he wants...

and then retire from professional basketball to manage $25,000,000 worth of commercial real estate in Kamloops and Vancouver...

set for life in his 20s, and he deserves it....very smart, personable, hard working young man.

BTB
06-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Except for the highest lottery picks, many small market teams can't afford to make an NCAA player their first round pick and then park him on the end of the bench for a few years and wait for him to develop. I predict lots of small market teams will go with European unknowns and leave them in Europe. Teams who urgently need front line help NOW (76ers, Blazers) are unlikely to gamble on KO as I think he is 3 - 4 years away from making a major contribution at the NBA level (if it ever happens, which remains a significant question mark). That leaves big market teams who may view KO as a nice addition to the end of their bench or one of the wealthier small market teams who don't really need him but who can always use an extra big with a nice offensive touch to use in combination with their existing big men.

My guess is Chicago, although I could see the Thunder taking him.

Go Bulldogs!

Kelly is generally being hyped more as a big man who is NBA ready and can step in immediately as a scorer off the bench, but with limited upside due to athletic limitations. It might not be the right analysis but I agree with it. He is much more polished than most players coming out of college.

I also see him going at 11 to the 76ers

zag buddy
06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Number 7.

VinnyZag
06-22-2013, 11:19 AM
ESPN's Chad Ford has him going much later -- 23 to the Pacers, which would also be a good landing spot for him. The Pacers are one of those teams that seem to know what they're doing, along with the Spurs and, alas, the Thunder.

Generally, from the mocks I look at, guys who cover the college game have him going a little higher, like mid to late lottery. Guys who cover the NBA put him in the late teens or even 20s.

I doubt he goes in the top 10. He's sliding a bit because "he's not athletic," LOL.

SunDevilGolfZag
06-22-2013, 11:30 AM
I predict teams are laying in the weeds and he will go in the top 10 or 11 picks.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 12:01 PM
ESPN's Chad Ford has him going much later -- 23 to the Pacers, which would also be a good landing spot for him. The Pacers are one of those teams that seem to know what they're doing, along with the Spurs and, alas, the Thunder.

Generally, from the mocks I look at, guys who cover the college game have him going a little higher, like mid to late lottery. Guys who cover the NBA put him in the late teens or even 20s.

I doubt he goes in the top 10. He's sliding a bit because "he's not athletic," LOL.Can you please provide some links to the mocks you follow? I look only at Chad Ford, which has him ranked #16 in his top 100, but going at #23 to the Pacers on his Big Board, and Draft Express, which has him going to OKC at #12.

I went through last year's final Mocks for Draft Express and Chad Ford and found Draft Express quite a bit closer to the actual draft results, missing by -86 spots in the top 30 vs. -106 for Chad Ford.

Hell, in one of his recent updates, Ford overlooked Kelly completely, only adding him at the #23 spot after people howled about the oversight.

I'll go with Draft Express's pick of #12, to OKC.

VinnyZag
06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm on an iPad, and it's pretty time consuming to copy and paste links. I've looked at SI, Draft Express, NBADraft.net, CBS. My impression is that he's slipping a bit, but I don't actually think that the worst thing in the world if it means he lands in the right place.

Here's another from ESPN, their "experts" mock draft. It has Olynyk going 13 to the Mavs .... But the expert is Fraschilla, a college guy: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9404686/2013-nba-draft-experts-make-their-picks-first-round

VinnyZag
06-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Here's CBS: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft,

Parrish, the college guy, has him going 11th to the Sixers. Their NBA guy has him going 17th the Hawks.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm on an iPad, and it's pretty time consuming to copy and paste links. I've looked at SI, Draft Express, NBADraft.net, CBS. My impression is that he's slipping a bit, but I don't actually think that the worst thing in the world if it means he lands in the right place.

Here's another from ESPN, their "experts" mock draft. It has Olynyk going 13 to the Mavs .... But the expert is Fraschilla, a college guy: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9404686/2013-nba-draft-experts-make-their-picks-first-roundSI has KO going at 12, Gary Parrish has him going at 11. I haven't looked at NBAdraft.net, because it's not generally respected.

So, I still don't see the support for your statement that college analysts favor KO more than NBA analysts. I've seen comments alleging KO is slipping, but in no one's mock but Chad Ford's has that seemed to be true.

DixieZag
06-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I have a question for those that follow the NBA and its Draft. Are any of these predictions ever very accurate? Even the NFL guys have trouble even though football teams generally have more obvious needs and are easier to predict.

From the outside, it looks to me that, with the exception of the top 5 or so, the draft is completely unpredictable. It seems that routinely things go totally nuts when a few teams pick out of the blue and that sends everyone else's picks up in the air.

Having "experts" pick anywhere from 11 to 23 seems to be such a large spread as to validate my view.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 04:07 PM
I have a question for those that follow the NBA and its Draft. Are any of these predictions ever very accurate? Even the NFL guys have trouble even though football teams generally have more obvious needs and are easier to predict.

From the outside, it looks to me that, with the exception of the top 5 or so, the draft is completely unpredictable. It seems that routinely things go totally nuts when a few teams pick out of the blue and that sends everyone else's picks up in the air.

Having "experts" pick anywhere from 11 to 23 seems to be such a large spread as to validate my view.Looking at the results of last year's draft, I was surprised by how few of the predictions of either Draft Express or Chad Ford were on the money, though Chad Ford fared considerably more off the money than Draft Express (84 points off vs. 106 for Ford).

In the screen shot below, which shows the first 23 picks of last year's draft, Draft Express guessed correctly for four picks, and Chad Ford for three.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ak0oEuqyJTI/UcZCntVNzNI/AAAAAAABgJc/92hKRVjkkL0/s576/2013-06-22%2520Comparison%2520mock%2520Draft.jpg

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh,oh ...Ten green room invitees announced:

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 10m

Green room invitees: Noel, Oladipo, Porter, Len, Bennett, McLemore, Burke, Carter-Williams, McCollum & Zeller.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 4m

NBA typically adds a few more names as we get closer to draft. Adams, Caldwell-Pope, Olynyk, Muhammad & Karasev haven't gotten invites yet

From Ford's ESPN story (http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9413629/2013-nba-draft-10-players-invited-green-room-sources-say):

The top prospects in the draft usually receive the invites to the green room, where the players, their families and agent sit on draft night. When their names are called, they leave the room and go up on stage to shake commissioner David Stern's hand.

NBA general managers are polled to determine which players are likely to be drafted in the lottery.

In the past, the NBA has expanded the list of green room invites as the draft date nears. Typically, the NBA has invited 13-to-15 players.

This year, the league has told a number of agents it may add a few names to the list as the draft approaches.

Several others players, including Georgia's Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Pittsburgh's Steven Adams, UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad, Russia's Sergey Karasev, Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk and Greece's Giannis Antetokounmpo, could be extended invites.

Zippyzaggy
06-23-2013, 12:01 AM
On draft night...Kelly Olynyk will FREAK OUT, run up on stage, and tell the world he is returning to GONZAGA. As he tearily begs everybody's forgiveness, he explains that he MUST return and win a National Championship.

Yeah....that's how it'll go down.

Zagpower
06-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Long shot prediction:

Raptors trade for 1st round pick and select KO.

EBE
06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
OKC Thunder 29th

Mojo13
06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
OKC at #12.
He just fits.
OKC needs big man scoring badly. They can't afford a project and need tools to help them now. Kelly fits their needs better than anyone else at that range.

Malastein
06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Can anybody post where he falls in ESPN's Secret Big Board? It's an insider thing...

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Can anybody post where he falls in ESPN's Secret Big Board? It's an insider thing...Chad Ford had him at #23 to the Pacers last time I looked.

cjm720
06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
12 to the Thunder...other than OKC and Bennet, I think it's a great fit for him and vice versa.

Malastein
06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Chad Ford had him at #23 to the Pacers last time I looked.

There's a separate ranking which is a composite of lists from NBA folk given in confidentiality. You know, just so we have that much more to pay attention to...

KStyles
06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
There's a separate ranking which is a composite of lists from NBA folk given in confidentiality. You know, just so we have that much more to pay attention to...

15 on the secret big board

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I think this is the one you're looking for:
15. Kelly Olynyk, C, Gonzaga

Secret NBA Draft Big Board Rating: 64.2

High Score: 8

Low Score: 5

Ford's comments: In one way, the consensus is fairly strong on Olynyk, and in another way it's not. All of the teams rated him a 5, 6 or 7, except for one team that rated him at 8. That said, he can be a polarizing figure in the conversations I have with teams. He's a favorite of teams that rely heavily on analytics, but scouts tend to believe his game won't translate to the next level. His draft night range is 11 to 23.

titopoet
06-25-2013, 12:02 PM
He has gotten an invite to be there during the draft, a good sign. I am still going with 11 and Okstate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-10-players-receive-nba-173015125--nba.html

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
He has gotten an invite to be there during the draft, a good sign. I am still going with 11 and Okstate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-10-players-receive-nba-173015125--nba.htmlI don't see what you're seeing about KO getting an invite. Could you please copy and paste what you're relying on here? This is what I'm seeing:
Among those who might receive late invites, according to ESPN, are Kentavious Caldwell-Pope of Georgia, Steven Adams of Pittsburgh, Shabazz Muhammad of UCLA, Sergey Karasev of Russia, Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga and Giannis Antetokounmpo of Greece.

jazzdelmar
06-25-2013, 01:10 PM
20s.

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm afraid Jazz is probably right. Very little buzz about KO in the top of the draft stories I'm following. That, and the fact he hasn't yet gotten an invitation to the green room.

Wonder where he'll watch the draft from on Thursday ...

maynard g krebs
06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm afraid Jazz is probably right. Very little buzz about KO in the top of the draft stories I'm following. That, and the fact he hasn't yet gotten an invitation to the green room.

Wonder where he'll watch the draft from on Thursday ...

Not following this much, but it has me thinking about how Dan Dickau slipped from mid first projections to end of the round.

NBA values athleticism over skill.

If I was a player like KO, I think I'd choose to play in a top Euro league anyway. A guy with his resume and skills has to be worth a couple mill a year to a top Euro team, and he'd get to play a style of bb that better suits his game.

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
FWIW, Draft Express' mock draft updated today still has Kelly at #12.

Malastein
06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Olynyk is good offensively and solid on the boards; however, he's not a good defensive player. (espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60276/nba-draft-which-big-is-best) So it's not merely a matter of skill versus athleticism, since Olynyk isn't particularly skilled as a defensive player. I still think he'll go 11.

jazzdelmar
06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Wondering if he leaves if he knew he might go at tail end of first round. The family's magic number was always 15 or higher, iirc.

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Wondering if he leaves if he knew he might go at tail end of first round. The family's magic number was always 15 or higher, iirc.I've followed this stuff closely, and I can't recall Kelly or his Dad ever mentioning a number at all.

I doubt if it would have made a difference to them in their decision-making i they thought he might go at 23 vs. 15, a difference on the rookie scale of about $500,000.

Coming out of college, a million dollars still looks like a pretty nice payday.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R4FJHE9mOwY/UcYyzq1i7_I/AAAAAAABgKc/iHqo2S0W4ts/s512/2013-06-22%2520Rookie%2520Salary.jpg

jazzdelmar
06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
I do recall a quote from Mr O that cited 15 as the number at which they would begin to seriously consider leaving. No idea beyond that. As you said, the difference is relatively small and KO might have been a second rounder in 2014. But winning a Wooden has no price. Just day dreaming.

Birddog
06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
The Thunder really keeps a tight lid on their plans, but word is that they are trying to package a trade to get the #1 pick of the draft. That would mean that they are probably going to give up the #12, #29, and #32 picks plus some present players. If they can't pull that off, they would like to get a top 5 pick. Rumor has it that they like Olidipo (sp?) This is all conjecture of course by the local sports morons that headline the talk radio shows. It doesn't look like they are interested in Olynyk. We'll see in a couple of days. To their credit, even these morons admit that they get next to no info from the Thunder. It makes for good "sports talk" though and that's how they pick up a paycheck. Accuracy has little to do with it.

Mojo13
06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Teams tend to not want to tip anyone off on who they are most interested in. Especially in a draft like this with no clear cut top choice let alone Top 5.

Rumor yesterday was that Anthony Bennett put on 20 pounds and is slipping on draft boards. Rumor today says the Wiz leaked this false rumor to scare people off because they want him.

And Alex Len at #1? C'mon! This is a mess of a draft and I am actually looking forward to watching it. No one has any idea how it is going to go down. The silence on KO could mean anything.

I think he goes in that 11-15 range.

Vanzagger
06-25-2013, 04:51 PM
The Thunder really keeps a tight lid on their plans, but word is that they are trying to package a trade to get the #1 pick of the draft. That would mean that they are probably going to give up the #12, #29, and #32 picks plus some present players. If they can't pull that off, they would like to get a top 5 pick. Rumor has it that they like Olidipo (sp?) This is all conjecture of course by the local sports morons that headline the talk radio shows. It doesn't look like they are interested in Olynyk. We'll see in a couple of days. To their credit, even these morons admit that they get next to no info from the Thunder. It makes for good "sports talk" though and that's how they pick up a paycheck. Accuracy has little to do with it.

If they get either guy watch out! I don't want to root for OKC but if Kelly goes there it is on. He would average 10 as a rook

Oregonzagnut
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
If they get either guy watch out! I don't want to root for OKC but if Kelly goes there it is on. He would average 10 as a rook

If OKC are trying to get the #1 spot, I am not sold on either Noel or Len. Both are injured right now and Kelly is able to show his skills. Personally I think Kelly should be considered a PF more than he is.

webspinnre
06-25-2013, 06:21 PM
In a draft like this, without much in the way of clear premium talent, I'd probably prefer having multiple "lottery tickets" to moving up a few slots, unless there's someone you're scouts feel absolutely sure about.

Oregonzagnut
06-25-2013, 07:46 PM
In a draft like this, without much in the way of clear premium talent, I'd probably prefer having multiple "lottery tickets" to moving up a few slots, unless there's someone you're scouts feel absolutely sure about.

Exactly. OKC seems to be set up with #12, #29 and #32. they are guaranteed to get 3 of the top 32 players in the draft. The only other teams with similar draft prognosis are the bottom dwellers who get in the lottery.

Plus OKC traded to get the #12 spot in the first place. Putting all your eggs in one players seems silly. Unless there is a player like Lebron or Wade the top 15 players may just be about equal risk. But not one player this year is as sure a thing as Lebron was.

Malastein
06-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Plus OKC traded to get the #12 spot in the first place. Putting all your eggs in one players seems silly. Unless there is a player like Lebron or Wade the top 15 players may just be about equal risk. Biut not one player this year is as sure a thing as Lebron was.

Pretty rare to see a player like LeBron. Durant, Dwight, Rose, Wall, and Wiggins have probably been the best bets since. I'd add Oden too, but some knew injuries would be a factor. Most of the time it is gambling among players who could untap superstar potential and guys who may or may not contribute as starters. If you draft a guy in the top 10-15 you hope for a starter. Teams that steal starters later than that are the more successful franchises. Teams who screw up top 5 picks are the less successful franchises. Based on Olynyk's improvement off his redshirt year, he's not the payer who will get a GM fired unless that GM reaches for him.

What hurts Olynyk the most is his defense and the competition he faced on the average game. I'd have love to have seen him go head to head against Sacre in practice, since their games are almost polar opposites.

BTB
06-25-2013, 10:17 PM
The only thing I feel confident about in this draft is that someone is going to regret using a high pick on Nerlens. Nothing like drafting a player who has no discernible basketball skill besides length and a decent vertical in the top 3.

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Looks like the party's in Kamloops draft night:
John Bantock ‏@JB4Hunnid 6h

Official Kelly Olynyk NBA Draft After Party! #NBADraft2013 #NBA #GonzagaBulldogs #Kamloops…

Followed by Kelly Olynyk and 5 others

http://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/0491dea4de2411e2896522000a1fb320_7.jpg

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 05:32 AM
ESPN Now.....

Kelly Olynyk
Brooklyn Nets

Analysis: Olynyk might have one of the largest ranges of anyone in the draft. He'll get looks as high as No. 11 to the Sixers and No. 12 to the Thunder, but he also could work his way down here. Gorgui Dieng and Tony Snell are other options for the Nets at 22.

ZagMan in Philly
06-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Going out on a limp and say K.O. will go to Sixers, as they will trade away Spencer Haws and replace him with K.O. He will play right away if he goes to Sixers.

If not Sixers, hopefully to the Thunders.

K.O. has a good upside (Offensively) to fall out of top 20 picks IMHO.

Good luck to him, I will be watching tonight.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20130626_Sixers_need_someone_who_can_play_now.html

BMAN
06-26-2013, 07:41 AM
10 prospects that scare NBA executives

8. Kelly Olynyk

The big Canadian came out of nowhere this season after redshirting a year ago, and became a first-team All-American. He dominated, but often it came in the WCC against inferior and diminutive opponents. His length -- or lack thereof -- along with sub-par athleticism are major worries at the NBA level. Not all are convinced the player Gonzaga recruited as a guard can become an effective NBA frontline player.

Quotable: "Slow post moves, lack of athleticism, short arms. I think he will struggle against NBA athletes."

cjm720
06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
10 prospects that scare NBA executives

8. Kelly Olynyk

The big Canadian came out of nowhere this season after redshirting a year ago, and became a first-team All-American. He dominated, but often it came in the WCC against inferior and diminutive opponents. His length -- or lack thereof -- along with sub-par athleticism are major worries at the NBA level. Not all are convinced the player Gonzaga recruited as a guard can become an effective NBA frontline player.

Quotable: "Slow post moves, lack of athleticism, short arms. I think he will struggle against NBA athletes."

He was never recruited as a guard....

KO's a crafty scorer which will offset his lack of elite athleticism IMO. I predict he'll be in the league for a long time.

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Chad Ford's final mock (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9424358/2013-nba-draft-nerlens-noel-runs-table-no-1-prospect-big-board-top-30):
18 Kelly Olynyk
SCHOOL: Gonzaga
HT/WT: 7-0, 234
POS: C
17.5 PPG
7.2 RPG
65 FG%

Draft Range: 11 to 22 | Teams Interested: Sixers, Thunder, Jazz, Celtics, Hawks, Bulls, Nets

Olynyk has one of the widest ranges of anyone in the draft. Why? His game is unique. He's a face-the-basket 4 who thrives by putting the ball on the floor and getting to the basket. He's also a good shooter from 15 to 18 feet. On the right team, he could be a very potent weapon. But it's going to have to be the right team. He has serious bust potential on the wrong one.

Quick fact: Olynyk's 36.57 Player Efficiency Rating led the nation this past season.

zag944
06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
While this draft doesn't seem as talented as many of them, it sure seems to have a lot of height. Not great for Kelly. I imagine most drafts there wouldn't be four or five 7 footers going before him.

Noel, Len, Zeller, Adams all seem to be guys that will go higher. Unfortunately I doubt Kelly goes early because some one is really reaching for some height. Maybe its a blessing though. Falling back to an organization that knows what they are doing could certainly be a help for a young player.

cjm720
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Maybe its a blessing though. Falling back to an organization that knows what they are doing could certainly be a help for a young player.

Great point...

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 11:59 AM
I did see a KO tweet yesterday where he said he'd be in Atlanta today ...

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 31m

Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk, Kansas' Jeff Withey and Arizona's Grant Jerrett are working out for the Hawks in Atlanta today, sources tell Y!

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 12:48 PM
From an Atlanta publication (http://atlallday.com/2013/06/26/nba-draft-2013-targets-at-picks-17-and-18/):

Kelly Olynyk, PF/C Gonzaga - I love Kelly Olynyk. Almost to the point of irrationality. I frankly can’t believe that he is potentially available at #17, and if he’s there, he’s my pick. He produced at an insane level in college, posting a comical 36.57 Hollinger PER while shooting 62% from the field and averaging 18 points and 7 boards a game. Mind you, this was the first “real” college season of Olynyk’s career, and after a redshirt, he did all of that in just over 26 minutes per game. He’s incredibly versatile offensively, being able to step out and hit jumpers to go along with a nice post array, and he works incredibly hard on the court. Defensively, he’ll never be a “stopper”, but he’s not a liability either, and as he gains strength, he should be solid on that end. His “upside” is what seems to be keeping him down on draft boards, as he doesn’t possess elite athleticism by any stretch and he’s already 22 years old. However, I think he’d be fantastic value in this spot for Atlanta, and a Horford/Olynyk duo could be nice.

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Kelly tweets his invitation to his draft party:
Kelly Olynyk ‏@KellyOlynyk 23m

If you're in the loops tomorrow night come celebrate at CJsBoy would that be fun! Wonder if Sam will take a couple of days off to make the trip to Kamloops. I think he's gone to Kamloops with Kelly in the past and had a good time there.

gamagin
06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
From an Atlanta publication (http://atlallday.com/2013/06/26/nba-draft-2013-targets-at-picks-17-and-18/):

Good, thoughtful, assessment. Shortcomings and all, it read like it was original & complete, coming from someone who watched KO play almost as much as we have.

Vanzagger
06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Lil hockey in him

KO is all over ESPN. What a great thing for the program. Work hard and tear it up big fella.

Good Luck!

ZagNative
06-26-2013, 02:08 PM
KO is all over ESPN. What a great thing for the program. Work hard and tear it up big fella. I just set the DVR to record the Draft Preview show from 4:00 to 5:00 on ESPN.

If past patterns hold true, I might expect to see KO get two or three minutes.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I just set the DVR to record the Draft Preview show from 4:00 to 5:00 on ESPN.

If past patterns hold true, I might expect to see KO get two or three minutes.

Preempted for a special on that POS Hernandez.

cjm720
06-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Please not Milwaukee....

maynard g krebs
06-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Olynyk is good offensively and solid on the boards; however, he's not a good defensive player. (espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60276/nba-draft-which-big-is-best) So it's not merely a matter of skill versus athleticism, since Olynyk isn't particularly skilled as a defensive player. I still think he'll go 11.

Isn't that mostly a matter of quickness, speed, and jumping versus as opposed to skill. I don't think he's unskilled on defense, just not athletic.

DixieZag
06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Isn't that mostly a matter of quickness, speed, and jumping versus as opposed to skill. I don't think he's unskilled on defense, just not athletic.

Thanks for that. It's a good point that I would have over looked. It DOES seem that writers tend to equate raw athleticism with defensive ability. And, though it seems one couldn't be an "elite" defender without great athleticism but as you said, there is physical skill and I would add that basketball IQ would logically help someone be a good defender. Knowing where the ball is likely going before hand and taking good calculated risks (as an intelligent BB IQ like Kelly who has BB in his DNA) can play very good defense.

BTB
06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks for that. It's a good point that I would have over looked. It DOES seem that writers tend to equate raw athleticism with defensive ability. And, though it seems one couldn't be an "elite" defender without great athleticism but as you said, there is physical skill and I would add that basketball IQ would logically help someone be a good defender. Knowing where the ball is likely going before hand and taking good calculated risks (as an intelligent BB IQ like Kelly who has BB in his DNA) can play very good defense.

Sacre is an excellent defender that was not very athletic (besides being very strong).

Most of the good scouting reports I've read say that Kelly will not be a liability defensively, he just won't be a big defensive playmaker. Seems right to me. He improved defensively a ton over the course of the season I thought, and I expect that trend will continue. His defense won't hold him back in the NBA.

I'm personally hoping he slips and the Spurs can trade up for him, I believe they will most likely be letting Tiago Splitter go in free agency this year. He might not be a great fit for them, but I pray for every Zag to go there (especially Austin Daye) because nobody can help a role player's career like Pop. Of course, the odds of this happening are probably about 1% or less.

sittingon50
06-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Preview show starting now, 7 P.M. ESPN2.

ZagaZags
06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
12-16

ZagNative
06-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Chad Ford's Mock today (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9427488/2013-nba-draft-chad-ford-mock-draft-70) has KO at 16, up from the previous 18, coming up from an earlier 23:

16 Kelly Olynyk
Boston Celtics
COLLEGE: Gonzaga
HT: 7-0
WT: 234
POS: PF

Analysis: The Celtics are in full rebuilding mode, but I'm not sure how that affects the draft. I keep hearing four names: Adams, Dennis Schroeder, Larkin or Olynyk. Over the course of the past 24 hours, it seems like Olynyk is gaining momentum there. He's a very skilled big man who would add size and scoring to the Celtics' front line.

Chicken Ball
06-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Don't look now, but EH fills out the last position in draftexpress.com's latest mock: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Rooting for Eh to pull a Steppe/Sacre.

ZagNative
06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Don't look now, but EH fills out the last position in draftexpress.com's latest mock: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Rooting for Eh to pull a Steppe/Sacre.I like it!

CDC84
06-27-2013, 08:42 AM
DE's projection of Kelly going to OKC at 12 would be sweet.

Would love to see Elias drafted. We will see.

LongIslandZagFan
06-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Late first round. Hope I am wrong. He will not be invited to the green room... Of that I am certain. Highest will be 16-17... More likely 22-25.

Mind you, this isn't about anything other than cynicism with the NBA and how they draft.

Zagquette
06-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Sacre is an excellent defender that was not very athletic (besides being very strong).

Most of the good scouting reports I've read say that Kelly will not be a liability defensively, he just won't be a big defensive playmaker. Seems right to me. He improved defensively a ton over the course of the season I thought, and I expect that trend will continue. His defense won't hold him back in the NBA.

I agree. But, this will be the key to his staying power in the NBA. It's a misnomer to say that no one plays defense in the NBA. As we have seen with all of the great Zags that didn't get drafted or didn't make it in the NBA, it comes down to defense. And, It is not unreasonable to equate athleticism (or size) to defensive ability.

You don't have to be great, but you can't be free points for the other team. If you are a serious liability on the other end of the floor, you are not going to see the floor. It doesn't matter how many points you can put up. Morrison is the perfect example.

I think Olynyk is big enough, agile enough and strong enough to hang with the big boys in the NBA. Best of luck to him.

PEACE

ZagNative
06-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Chad Ford just posted an updated Mock, in which he has KO shooting up the board:
12 Kelly Olynyk
Oklahoma City Thunder via Toronto Raptors
COLLEGE: Gonzaga
HT: 7-0
WT: 234
POS: PF

Updated 5:00 PM EST: Olynyk moved up from No. 16 to 12.

Analysis: The Thunder have a lot of interest in Adams, who has as much talent as any big in the draft if teams are patient. But if he's not on the board, this pick will likely come down to either Karasev or Olynyk. There are other possibilities for the Thunder -- multiple sources say they are actively trying to move up in the draft.

Snowkane
06-27-2013, 01:34 PM
My prediction is Olynyk will go to the Thunder. I do not expect to see them move up in the draft, but instead will stay at the #12 spot and select Olynyk.

I wish I had inside information from a confidential source; however, I do not. This is only a prediction.

It would be awesome to see Olynyk start his career out with Westbrook and Durant.

ZagaZags
06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
12-16

Not bad.

thespywhozaggedme
06-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Celtics fan board thread about him. Warning, lots of major d'bags:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1258723

willandi
06-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't know that it's worth registering just to say that I thought Celtic fans were more knowledgable about basketball!

sittingon50
06-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Like I said originally, good luck.

Boston, New York & Philly (fans). They've ruined a lot of players in multiple sports.

Most of the folks posting are like David Stern; couldn't pronounce Gonzaga right, couldn't pronounce Spokane right and if pressed, when informed that Kelly was from Canada, couldn't find it on a globe.

B LAKE ZAG
06-28-2013, 08:11 AM
All those Celtic fans don't know anything

ZagaZags
07-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Let his hair grow for??????????
1. Looks
2. Fun
3. Locks for love
4. To stand out
5. To do shampoo ads
6. Because we can't
7. He likes Thor
8. Hates the haircuts in Spokane
9. Read about Samson
If answer is 3. When is he going to cut it?

Jazzgirl_127
07-08-2013, 03:59 AM
Let his hair grow for??????????
1. Looks
2. Fun
3. Locks for love
4. To stand out
5. To do shampoo ads
6. Because we can't
7. He likes Thor
8. Hates the haircuts in Spokane
9. Read about Samson
If answer is 3. When is he going to cut it?

He could still be growing it for #3...unless the rules for donation for guys are different than for women, I bet he still has a way to go. They don't just measure 10" from your scalp. From what I've heard from friends that have donated, they put your hair in a ponytail, trim it so it's even at the bottom to get rid of any layers, then measure up 10." Those I know who have donated had hair down their backs and after the donation, their hair was Bobbed.

They also won't take dyed hair, so hopefully Kelly doesn't do anything too wild with it haha ;)

cjm720
07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Danny Ainge has liked KO for some time now. Pretty cool. Here's a GUB link that mentions it.

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=27586&highlight=ainge&page=2

titopoet
07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Celtics fan board thread about him. Warning, lots of major d'bags:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1258723

Look again, they are warming up to KO.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1262323&start=120 (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1262323&start=120)

KO has the ability to really lead a team. Maybe he can after some NBA experience together with Rondo. Sully also looks a leader type. I think we have bright future, Ainge knows what he is doing.

ZagMan in Philly
07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Dallas is regretting not keeping K.O.?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mavs-load-guards-still-hole-214859948--nba.html