PDA

View Full Version : WCC Conference Catchup - CBS Sports

SteelCityZag
06-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Link (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22491444/conference-catchup-top-of-the-wcc-primed-for-step-back)

No mention of Coleman or Nunez. Ummm, Okay.

bartruff1
06-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Reasonable....I have no use for Ireland, he makes everyone on his team worse...but that is just my opinion.

DixieZag
06-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Almost exactly as I would have expected. I have more doubts about SMC than the article. I think SMC relied on Delly more than what people even appreciated - I just don't see how they can compete for the top. I hope they can though.

I would have put San Diego as the bigger threat than USF.

hooter73
06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
I love that we're the top dogs and still have sleepers to surprise people with like Coleman and Nunez. I really hope Nunez can hit the ground running when hes eligible because by that time Coleman will become a known factor but Nunez will be another mid season boost that no one can scout or prepare for. Keep em on their toes...

and man does the WCC suck.

sittingon50
06-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Unless someone other than the Zags win the WCC Tourney, I don't think there will be multiple bids.

ZagsZombieNation
06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
The WCC will be much stronger in 2014-15. Think about all of the players who will be seniors that year.

Pangos, Bell, Coleman

Haws, Carlino, Austin, Sharp, Winder

Dee, Anderson

Waldow

Brandon Clark

Kevin Bailey, Van Der Mars, Gerun

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I have more doubts about SMC than the article. I think SMC relied on Delly more than what people even appreciated - I just don't see how they can compete for the top. I hope they can though.

I think that Delly made a lot of very average players look better than they really were. I would expect SMC to take a pretty big step back without him. However, I've learned that SMC reloads pretty well and never really seems to fall very far from one year to the next. It will be interesting to see how that team develops during the off-season. They don't get a lot of early national t.v. exposure, so we probably won't have much of a read on that team until we play them.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
If any other school had incoming transfers the caliber of Coleman and Nunez, there'd be talk about that school unseating GU. I guess the Zags' overal talent level and sustained success causes that sort of news to get overlooked.

titopoet
06-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Link (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22491444/conference-catchup-top-of-the-wcc-primed-for-step-back)

No mention of Coleman or Nunez. Ummm, Okay.

Then again, few in any publications last year at this time mentioned Olynyk. So, GU has another surprise for the college Basketball Media (not opposing coaches, Izzo (hopefully) and Boeheim will know Coleman.)

Also Zach Farmer has Coleman #25 in the WCC http://www.examiner.com/article/wcc-preseason-top-25-gerald-coleman

kyle dixon
06-21-2013, 11:32 AM
They will be fine without Delly. Heck, they probably will be undefeated until conference time as they load up on Sonoma State, Cal State Maritime, Idaho State, Evergreen State Geoducks. Randy Bennett style.

SteelCityZag
06-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Then again, few in any publications last year at this time mentioned Olynyk. So, GU has another surprise for the college Basketball Media (not opposing coaches, Izzo (hopefully) and Boeheim will know Coleman.)

Also Zach Farmer has Coleman #25 in the WCC http://www.examiner.com/article/wcc-preseason-top-25-gerald-coleman

True, the only difference being Kelly was coming off a redshirt and two mediocre campaigns. Gerard put up pretty good numbers in the Big East. I'm going to have to call it an oversight.

ZagsZombieNation
06-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I think that Delly made a lot of very average players look better than they really were. I would expect SMC to take a pretty big step back without him. However, I've learned that SMC reloads pretty well and never really seems to fall very far from one year to the next. It will be interesting to see how that team develops during the off-season. They don't get a lot of early national t.v. exposure, so we probably won't have much of a read on that team until we play them.

Even though there are high expectations being placed on him, I could see Stephen Holt struggling mightily without Delly. Defenses will be geared towards him, and Saint Mary's backcourt depth will be even thinner if Jorden Page isn't able to play this season.