• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerpZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Santos Tops Min, Wins Again To Advance To WAPL Round Of 8

Raychelle Santos, right, defeated future teammate Ciera Min Thursday.

Santos Tops Min, Wins Again To Advance To WAPL Round Of 8

NORMAN, Okla.Raychelle Santos continues to enter unchartered waters for Gonzaga University women’s golfers in the 37th U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship.

After defeating future teammate and incoming Bulldog freshman Ciera Min 4 and 3 in the morning Round of 32 Thursday, the native of La Quinta, Calif., came back in the afternoon to take a 2 and 1 victory over 17th-seeded and 12th ranked women’s amateur in the world Chirapat Jao-Javanil who attends the University of Oklahoma. With the victory in the Round of 16 Santos advanced to Friday’s Round of 8. Jao-Javanil, from Hua-Hin, Thailand, won the 2012 NCAA Women’s Golf Championship, meaning Min and Santos have eliminated the last two NCAA medalists in the last two days. The WAPL is being played at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Course, the home course for the Sooners but also the course Santos and the Bulldogs played during the NCAA Central Regional in May.

Santos became the first Bulldog to advance past the Round of 32 with the win over Min. In the Round of 8 she will face 41st-seed Cindy Ha, a senior-to-be at Demarest, N.J., High, who won in 19 holes after trailing Ember Schuldt who was 4 up after 8 holes.

A power outage at the course has shut down the WAPL website, thus further information on her afternoon match is currently unavailable.

Friday’s schedule has the Round of 8 at 5:30 a.m. PDT followed by the semifinals at 10:30 a.m. PDT. The tourney concludes with a 36-hole final Saturday.

The sophomore-to-be Santos and Min, a pair of bright young stars on the Gonzaga women’s golf scene, became rivals for a few short hours Thursday morning.

In the end, Santos, the 32nd seed, prevailed over her future teammate and 64th-seeded Min, who got everyone’s attention Wednesday with her shocking 6 and 4 win over top-seeded and defending NCAA Champion Annie Park of NCAA team champion University of Southern California.

Santos, the West Coast Conference Freshman of the Year and All-WCC pick this past season after finishing second in the conference tournament, took a 1-up lead against Min into the back nine and steadily pulled away. Par 4’s on the 10th and 11th holes put her 3 up as Min bogeyed both holes. She went 4 up with a birdie on the par 5 13th as Min made double-bogey, and they halved the next two holes to give Santos the victory.

“They enjoyed playing together and are very excited about seeing what they can do together at Gonzaga,” Bulldog head coach Brad Rickel said. “It was unfortunate they had to play each other, but now that the match is over we can turn our full attention to Raychelle as she continues to advance. I think we have a good chance of seeing both of them again on this national stage.”

For complete results click here.
    Gonzaga Article Link

Future Teammates Santos, Min Battle (Story By Lisa D. Mickey) Link

Meet The WAPL Quarterfinalists Link
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Can you say Final Four? Santos won 2&1 this morning.

Very cool run she is having.

She tees off for final four in about 10 minutes.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
      Can you say Final Four? Santos won 2&1 this morning.

Very cool run she is having.

She tees off for final four in about 10 minutes.
      Forgot they in CDT... Should be on the course now.
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Down three through 7. She needs to get positive here soon.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Down 3 thru 13... Had been down 5. Has to narrow gap soon.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Took a step back on 15 and lost 4&3.

No shame in final four. Congrats Ms. Santos!

Comment

• TerpZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
              Took a step back on 15 and lost 4&3.

No shame in final four. Congrats Ms. Santos!
              Thanks, LIZF...for keeping us up to date on Raychelle Santos' progress today.

Congratulations, Raychelle great job!

Comment

• TerpZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Amazing Run Ends For Santos In WAPL Semifinal Setback

NORMAN, Okla.The amazing run for Gonzaga University sophomore-to-be Raychelle Santos at the 37th U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship ended Friday afternoon when Lauren Diaz-Yi of Thousand Oaks, Calif., captured a 4 and 3 semifinal victory.

Santos, the 32nd seed into match play from La Quinta, Calif., earned the semifinal berth Friday morning with a 2 and 1 quarterfinal win over Cindy Ha at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club, site of this spring’s NCAA Central Regional which included Santos and the Bulldogs. The course played 6,258 yards to par 72.

“I can’t begin to say how proud I am – and all of Gonzaga is - of Raychelle,” Gonzaga head women’s golf coach Brad Rickel said. “She accomplished something no other Gonzaga golfer has done at this level. She definitely helped put Gonzaga women’s golf on the map this week. I can’t wait for our fall season to start.”

No Bulldog had advanced past the Round of 32 prior to this year.

Santos, who had trailed in just 10 holes over her previous 67 holes of match play entering the semifinal, never did quite get untracked against the 28th seeded Diaz-Yi who will begin her collegiate career at the University of Virginia this fall.

Both golfers bogeyed the par 4 first hole, then Diaz-Yi won the next two holes as Santos went bogey 4 and double-bogey 6. Santos, runner-up in the West Coast Conference Championship and named the WCC Freshman of the Year to go with All-WCC honors, birdied the fourth hole to cut Diaz-Yi’s lead to 1-up.

Diaz-Yi, who qualified for her first WAPL as a 13-year-old and last year was eliminated in the match play Round of 64, opened some ground on Santos by winning the sixth through ninth holes to go 5-up, a lead she held through the 11th. But Santos climbed back into the match with pars on the par 3 12th and par 5 13th to win both holes and trail by three with five to play.

But Diaz-Yi made par 3 on the 15th while Santos made bogey to bring an end to the match between good friends from southern California.

Santos never trailed in Friday morning’s match, but the duo was all square at the turn. Santos went 1-up on the 10th but Ha pulled even on 12 when Santos bogeyed the par 3. Santos won the next two holes, dropped back to 1-up on the 16th and won the 17th hole to go 2-up and end the match.

As a quarterfinalist this year Santos is guaranteed a spot in next year’s WAPL to be played at The Home Course in DuPont, Wash., a suburb of Tacoma. The 2014 WAPL will be the finale as the event is being discontinued after 2014.

For complete results click here.

Gonzaga Article Link

Comment

Working...
                X