PDA

View Full Version : This Season marks

Zags11
06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
the 15th yr anniversary of our Elite 8 run. No one thinks we can this year and didnt 15 yrs ago......just saying. :)

Vanzagger
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Lets do it!

VaBeachZAG
06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I am not about to bet my house on the Zags getting out of the first weekend. Having said that, I think a deep GU run will occur when everyone least expects it. Last season there was a lot of expectation for a deep run; didn't happen. Only rabid GU faithful are predicting such a run this year. So, with low expectations around the nation for the upcoming season, who knows?

MTZag03
06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Law of averages. Eventually it will happen. We'll be in the dance every year. Hopefully we won't be pitted early on against a team that catches lightning in a bottle. I'm so tired of running into the Davidsons, Wichita States, Nevadas of the world (yes I know that we were schools like that at one time).

I guess the problem is big state schools can miss the dance every other year and completely underperform, but still point to their 3-4 final fours and possible national championships. We can go every year but still end up feeling like a 12 year old asking to sit at the grown-up table at Thanksgiving even though everyone wants us to sit at the kids table.

Let's do it GU. Get past the Few 32!

Zags11
06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
I believe it'll happen sooner then later and why not this yr? Lets go!

Ezag
06-20-2013, 08:22 PM
No, the thing is everyone thinks we can every year and it hasn't happened again....

Zags11
06-20-2013, 08:45 PM
No, the thing is everyone thinks we can every year and it hasn't happened again....

Your right. Changes must be made. I was an am firm believer on that. Im just saying it marks 15th yr of e8.

bartruff1
06-21-2013, 04:25 AM
It has been unbelievable. A historic accomplishment that no one could have imagined and more than likely will never be matched.

Gonzaga has become the standard and the aspirational model for every non BCS program in the country.

To think that a tiny school in a remote part of the country would sit atop the college basketball world and be ranked #1 is simply amazing.

All the games are on TV, many on National TV. A schedule that includes teams like Duke, North Carolina, MSU, UCLA, Arizona... a major Holiday Tourney...a trip to the Dance every year... WOW..

Thank you Mark Few.....We are not worthy.

jazzdelmar
06-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Few32 until it's not.

DarkZagRises
06-21-2013, 08:10 AM
It has been unbelievable. A historic accomplishment that no one could have imagined and more than likely will never be matched.

Gonzaga has become the standard and the aspirational model for every non BCS program in the country.

To think that a tiny school in a remote part of the country would sit atop the college basketball world and be ranked #1 is simply amazing.

All the games are on TV, many on National TV. A schedule that includes teams like Duke, North Carolina, MSU, UCLA, Arizona... a major Holiday Tourney...a trip to the Dance every year... WOW..

Thank you Mark Few.....We are not worthy.

:agreed:

I don't think sentiments like this can be expressed enough. Even as hard as March has been since 2002. Gonzaga Basketball has been such an enormous blessing for Spokane and GU alumni.

GorgeZag
06-21-2013, 09:23 AM
That EE squad was also the most physically and mentally tough of the last 15 years. THAT'S what's needed to advance in the tourney.

GoZags
06-21-2013, 09:25 AM
:agreed:

I don't think sentiments like this can be expressed enough. Even as hard as March has been since 2002. Gonzaga Basketball has been such an enormous blessing for Spokane and GU alumni.

True.

And while there are critics within the audiences you mention (GU Alumni/Spokane) it often appears that the most vociferous and outspoken critics are folks who are "fans" of the basketball team and members of this board yet have zero ties whatsoever to the school.

While all opinions are welcome, from a personal standpoint I certainly pay more attention to contributions from folks who truly are "Zags".

TexasZagFan
06-21-2013, 09:37 AM
True.

And while there are critics within the audiences you mention (GU Alumni/Spokane) it often appears that the most vociferous and outspoken critics are folks who are "fans" of the basketball team and members of this board yet have zero ties whatsoever to the school.

While all opinions are welcome, from a personal standpoint I certainly pay more attention to contributions from folks who truly are "Zags".

Well said GZ. I remember our brief chat in Tulsa. There were a few folks that overheard us...I think they were from Arkansas. They had no affiliation to the school, other than getting on the bandwagon in '99. The dad asked me, "what's it like to go to school there?"

I told a couple of quick stories (I once had dozens, but over the years it's dropped to single digits...I'll never forget the one about Joe Clayton in the book store, though :lmao:). It was a really good time, not to mention the fact the Zags won.

I'm sure we'll make the trip to Wichita in December.

GoZags
06-21-2013, 10:02 AM
I'll try to sneak down to Wichita. That should be a great game as Kansas State thinks they "owe" us one.

bartruff1
06-21-2013, 11:36 AM
A decade and a half of excellence with young men that make you proud.

What...two arrests in 15 years with hundreds of young men....hell, I beat that my first semester... thanks guys...

jazzdelmar
06-21-2013, 12:11 PM

While all opinions are welcome, from a personal standpoint I certainly pay more attention to contributions from folks who truly are "Zags".[/QUOTE]

As one of the no-ties outliers, I find that statement pretty narrow minded, GZ. Perhaps alumni status should be a board requirement. But beware, colleges are notoriously liberal with the "alum" label. Now if you're starting a restricted country club, then you are on the right track.

Zippyzaggy
06-21-2013, 12:53 PM
In my Eeyore voice:

It will NEVER happen. We'll never get back to the E8. Matter o fact we'll most likely get swept by Paprikadine and LaMeU this upcoming season.

It's over............:(

Zags11
06-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I know many dont think this, but some do. Alot of season ticket holders are "NON-GU" Grads. They bring, donate money just as much. I am not a GU alum, but have donated as much as I could by buying gear, raffle tickets,etc. My family is season ticket holders and pay a good amount of $ which supports Gonzaga University. I go to Gonzaga Baseball games as well. I bleed Zag colors as much as anyone else.

My grandpa went to GU in early 1940's and was a WW2 Vet. So, are we gonna bicker and make snide comments on being a Alum or not, are we also gonna decide who went earlier and whose family went 1st?

I know Gonzaga Alum who arent really into the school, and dont donate or provide $ for the school. My Non-Alumni family has and does.

Point is? We are all one, and mya mean more to those who attended or they may think so. Lets not seperate each other.

GoZags
06-21-2013, 05:29 PM
I agree with what you are saying and it appears you read what Jazz wrote, not what I wrote. The words I used were "yet have zero ties to the school". That is what I said.

Jazz morphed that into GU Grads or Alums.

Of course you have ties to the school. Huge ties. Those who have relatives that attended certainly have ties. Those who drive pass GU or interact with the community have ties.

What I said in my post (which Jazz subsequently distorted) was that I personally pay more attention to posters critiquing the program who have ties to the school than from those who's only tie is liking the basketball team and post on a message board.

'11 I am glad you said something because again, from my perspective (and I am sure from GU's perspective) you DO have ties to the school.

I know many dont think this, but some do. Alot of season ticket holders are "NON-GU" Grads. They bring, donate money just as much. I am not a GU alum, but have donated as much as I could by buying gear, raffle tickets,etc. My family is season ticket holders and pay a good amount of $ which supports Gonzaga University. I go to Gonzaga Baseball games as well. I bleed Zag colors as much as anyone else.

My grandpa went to GU in early 1940's and was a WW2 Vet. So, are we gonna bicker and make snide comments on being a Alum or not, are we also gonna decide who went earlier and whose family went 1st?

I know Gonzaga Alum who arent really into the school, and dont donate or provide $ for the school. My Non-Alumni family has and does.

Point is? We are all one, and mya mean more to those who attended or they may think so. Lets not seperate each other.

Zags11
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I agree with what you are saying and it appears you read what Jazz wrote, not what I wrote. The words I used were "yet have zero ties to the school". That is what I said.

Jazz morphed that into GU Grads or Alums.

Of course you have ties to the school. Huge ties. Those who have relatives that attended certainly have ties. Those who drive pass GU or interact with the community have ties.

What I said in my post (which Jazz subsequently distorted) was that I personally pay more attention to posters critiquing the program who have ties to the school than from those who's only tie is liking the basketball team and post on a message board.

'11 I am glad you said something because again, from my perspective (and I am sure from GU's perspective) you DO have ties to the school.

Sorry if i misunderstood you. I was also just talkin more in general not just to you.

Go zags

jazzdelmar
06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
GZ, you're bringing a whole new dimension to the term "parochial." But in my case you're quite accurate. My only link is being a post 99 bandwagon fan and posting on this board. If that fails to rise to your provincial standard, I'm sorry.

DixieZag
06-21-2013, 07:22 PM
GZ, you're bringing a whole new dimension to the term "parochial." But in my case you're quite accurate. My only link is being a post 99 bandwagon fan and posting on this board. If that fails to rise to your provincial standard, I'm sorry.

I get what Jazz was saying. It was a generalization and like all generalizations there are certainly exceptions. As a generalization it is true that those with no attachment are more prone to be fair weather fans, they simply have less emotion invested -- generally, not all.

I am more interested in the fact that right after bartruff posted those positive notes regarding how far the program has come generally (and admitted that March has been disappointing) you laid one sentence that seemed to simply rebut it "Few32 until he isn't" or like that.

That comment seems to go right past "balance" and simply hits bitterness. Maybe it is not intended that way but when someone writes a post that praises the program compared to where it came from and does so in a thread about the anniversary of the first "run" you imply that it is all negated based on just one measure (albeit an important one) of success. It also diminishes the gratitude felt by those of us that were emotionally invested in the team when it had 10 wins in the late 80s. Sometimes A balanced view has plenty of room for awe at where the program stands now, disappointments and all.

jazzdelmar
06-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Here's the thing, the Zags well earned national prominence and post '99 prosperity is predominantly founded on the interest of millions of non tie fans just like me, not on the scant thousands of loyal tied in fans who remember when.

Zagdawg
06-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Jazz-- you even out the other side of the bandwagon -- keep those of us that are a bit too positive and optimistic about the program grounded.

"It sure is a nice day" becomes-- "it's too hot--probably going to get heat exhaustion or a sun burn...maybe even chapped lips".

Once people understand what you bring to the table -- it makes it easier to take it in stride.

Go Zags

bartruff1
06-22-2013, 06:26 AM
False equivalency ...

Zags11
06-22-2013, 10:33 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v291HXGKIU

Remember this. I understand the unhappiness of not seeing e8 again.

Trust me i have been annoyed, upset,etc.

I am also a mariners fan/seahawks fan.

"Hall the runnnnnner...."

To be continued.....

Zags11
06-22-2013, 10:39 AM
for whatever reason i cant fix the link(edit wise) and cant delete thread. I apologize, as I put too many http's.

Zags11
06-22-2013, 10:41 AM
what is goin on with my edit on here?

here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v291HXGKIU