PDA

View Full Version : WCC Changes Tourney Format

Angelo Roncalli
06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
The men's quarter finals on Saturday, semi-finals on Monday, and the finals on Tuesday are the big date changes. No more protecting top seeds is the big format change:

With the University of the Pacific returning to the WCC this summer, a new 10-team tournament format - approved by membership in 2012 - will be unveiled in 2014. The format will feature first round games involving the seven through 10 seeds on Thursday, four women's quarterfinal games on Friday, and four men's quarterfinal games on Saturday. The tournament will take Sunday off from competition before resuming Monday, March 10 with a pair of women's semifinal games and two men's semifinals. The two championship games will be played on Tuesday, March 11.

The West Coast Conference has also announced increased national coverage at the 2014 event. For the first time, two WCC men's quarterfinal games will air nationally on ESPN2. On Monday, one men's semifinal game will air on ESPN with the other airing on ESPN2. The women's championship game will once again air on ESPNU, and the West Coast Conference men's championship game will be televised on ESPN.

229SintoZag
06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
We lose potentially two quality OOC games now that Pacific is here.

We have to play Pacific twice, and they are not likely to be a sub 200 RPI team anytime soon.

Then we lose our protected status, virtually guarantying at least one game in the tournament against a middling or worse WCC foe to drag our RPI down just that much more in the WCC tournament.

Someone remind me again why we added Pacific to the conference?

sittingon50
06-19-2013, 01:19 PM
133 USF
145 Pacific
171 USD
213 LMU
216 PEP
262 Portland

As nearly half the teams were worse than Pacific I guess the only course of action is to join the Big East (or whatever it wound up being called).

*sarcasm alert*

Zagdawg
06-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Pacific and the city of Stockton are not that bad---

They are top 10 in most dangerous cities in the country.
They have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.
They are the largest city ever to have filed for bankruptcy.
It is ranked as the 3rd most illiterate city in the United States.
We get to split up the earnings from the dance with one more school......

But she does have a nice personality.

FieldHouseFishHouse
06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
We lose potentially two quality OOC games now that Pacific is here.

We have to play Pacific twice, and they are not likely to be a sub 200 RPI team anytime soon.

Then we lose our protected status, virtually guarantying at least one game in the tournament against a middling or worse WCC foe to drag our RPI down just that much more in the WCC tournament.

Someone remind me again why we added Pacific to the conference?

I'm not sure what you mean by "we".

Depends on which source you go to, but Pacific's RPI rank the last 6 years:
102, 289, 190, 99, 138, 136
average=159 StdDev=65

Playing in the WCC will help their SOS (as opposed to the Big West)
I think "we" can expect an RPI below 200.

CDC84
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
The format will feature first round games involving the seven through 10 seeds on Thursday, four women's quarterfinal games on Friday, and four men's quarterfinal games on Saturday. The tournament will take Sunday off from competition before resuming Monday, March 10 with a pair of women's semifinal games and two men's semifinals. The two championship games will be played on Tuesday, March 11.

Two things I don't like:

1) I don't like the day off between the quarters and the semis. I prefer the day off between the semis and the final. The two teams that reach the title game should get some kind of reward.

2) I don't like the idea of seeds 7-10 getting ANY days off until the title game.

That being said, the scheduling for this tournament is complicated, so I understand the WCC's decision making.

kitzbuel
06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "we".

Depends on which source you go to, but Pacific's RPI rank the last 6 years:
102, 289, 190, 99, 138, 136
average=159 StdDev=65

Playing in the WCC will help their SOS (as opposed to the Big West)
I think "we" can expect an RPI below 200.

Given the fact that they lost four starters and a head coach this last year, it will likely not be very far below 200.

229SintoZag
06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Given the fact that they lost four starters and a head coach this last year, it will likely not be very far below 200.

I was thinking along the same lines.

Lets just all agree that it will be some time, indeed, before we beat Pacific and have it count as a "quality win" under any metric.

I see Pacific as a team headed nowhere fast. Hope I am wrong. They were decent a few years ago and who knows, they could be good again too. Stranger things have happened.

It just seems to me that adding them is a classic case of a solution in search of a problem.

CDC84
06-19-2013, 02:39 PM
The biggest problem with adding Pacific to the WCC is not how they will or will not drag down the league. It will be what happens if BYU bolts. The league would go down to 9 teams again, which would force the WCC to pursue another team to get it back to 10. That team will not only be worse than BYU, they'll also be worse than Pacific and most teams in the WCC. We're talking a 250+ RPI team. The conference would be worse than it was before BYU joined. That's what I fear. The fact that GU is already losing two non-league games in order to add Pacific is painful enough. Wait until the league adds some 250+ RPI team to replace BYU.

madness
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
If BYU leaves, I have to believe GU would also heavily consider leaving that year

bartruff1
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Pacific is a perfect fit for the WCC . I love Fat City.

It also reduces my Cost Per WCC Conference Tourney Game by 30% and something similar for every event for every team of every University in the league.

Now if we could just add Seattle University, that would really reduce the costs per event especially for the California Universities.

75Zag
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
The new format will help Vegas fill a lot of otherwise empty rooms on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Just looking for the bright side.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
06-19-2013, 03:15 PM
It reduces the number of tickets per school for the WCC tourney?

All you need to do is go through the San Francisco office and get your WCC tourney tickets-- they discount them for all buyers and we all know that the Dons have the best seats in the house that they love to share.

UberZagFan
06-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Uber has already b*tched and moaned about how adding Pacific is a triple whammy in losing 2 good OCCs, adding two low WCC games, and messing up the protected seed stuff. This was all seen coming the day they added Pacific.

Uber has yet to see one good reason (or really any reason other than even number of teams) to add a 10th team. The WCC seemed to operate just fine the last couple years.

75Zag
06-19-2013, 03:56 PM
At the Seattle pre-season lunch, Coach Lloyd hinted that GU wanted Pacific in the WCC just about as much as that movie producer wanted Vito Corleone's God Son as the lead in his movie. Except in this case, the CA members of the WCC were "The Godfather", and I don't yet have actual confirmation as to whether or not Few or the President of GU woke up with a severed horse head in either of their beds.

Either way, the CA branch of the WCC has spoken, and we now have Pacific. Which come to think of it, is pretty much a dead horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1_tdnZq1A

Don't Ever Take Sides Against the Family.

Go Bulldogs!

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 04:13 PM
At the Seattle pre-season lunch, Coach Lloyd hinted that GU wanted Pacific in the WCC just about as much as that movie producer wanted Vito Corleone's God Son as the lead in his movie. Except in this case, the CA members of the WCC were "The Godfather", and I don't yet have actual confirmation as to whether or not Few or the President of GU woke up with a severed horse head in either of their beds.

Either way, the CA branch of the WCC has spoken, and we now have Pacific. Which come to think of it, is pretty much a dead horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1_tdnZq1A

Don't Ever Take Sides Against the Family.

Go Bulldogs!

A very thin and frail tail wagging a robust, prosperous dog. Really infuriating.

bartruff1
06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
The biggest problem with adding Pacific to the WCC is not how they will or will not drag down the league. It will be what happens if BYU bolts. The league would go down to 9 teams again, which would force the WCC to pursue another team to get it back to 10. That team will not only be worse than BYU, they'll also be worse than Pacific and most teams in the WCC. We're talking a 250+ RPI team. The conference would be worse than it was before BYU joined. That's what I fear. The fact that GU is already losing two non-league games in order to add Pacific is painful enough. Wait until the league adds some 250+ RPI team to replace BYU.

I can't wait till BYU leaves...they won the Commissioner's Cup (not fair) taking it away from San Diego who has won it since around 2007. Gonzaga finished 4th.

When they leave we can take in SU and be in a semi major media market and the kids can row at Mountlake and golf at Broadmoor....

Now if we can just get a University from Tacoma....PLU would be good, but they are a football powerhouse....so the next logical addition would be St Martins...and the kids can row in the Narrows and golf at Chambers Bay !!

TheGonzagaFactor
06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
I understand this will hurt our RPI, but given our choke vs Wichita this year I could care less about seeding. The format change has nothing to do with our tourney performance this year, but I would say we got what we deserve.

I can't wait to see all the bracketology threads and speculation about seeding/ranking throughout the season. Totally meaningless. Doesn't mean anything so long as we make the tourney.

RenoZag
06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Terrible news. . .

Ezag
06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
133 USF
145 Pacific
171 USD
213 LMU
216 PEP
262 Portland

Pacific fits the WCC fine.....the problem is we don't. But I'm not gonna rehash this again, just be prepared for another year of "Gonzaga doesn't play anyone" "WCC conference is weak" "WCC doesn't prepare Gonzaga for the big time"

SWZag
06-22-2013, 10:53 PM
For all the complaints in here, it's just another hill to climb and road to travel. We better be ready, that's all I can say.

SWZag