PDA

View Full Version : Melson commits

810Suited
06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Nice

BobZag
06-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Nice

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m Gonzaga has landed a commitment from 2014 combo guard Silas Melson out of Portland, a source told ESPN.

Ahem. finally.

Zagluv95
06-18-2013, 04:49 PM
You mean Oregon didn't get him as well!!??? Finally some good news on the recruiting front!

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Yippie! Welcome, Silas!

Worthington
06-18-2013, 04:56 PM
There we go, let's hope this gets the 2014 ball rolling! Great choice Mr Melson, welcome aboard!

BTB
06-18-2013, 05:00 PM
No way!!!!!

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Now who do we pair him with? Perhaps Perkins or Small in 2015.

Welcome aboard Silas, we are excited to have you apart of GU Nation!

ZAGGED OUT
06-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Great news. He's going to be a very solid player. His size, athleticism, and skill set will all be very useful.

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Nice

To Oregon?

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 05:38 PM
From Twitter:
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 14m

Hey @LC_Recruiting..can we get a 140 character scouting report on Silas Melson for Zag fans?
Expand
LeftCoastRecruiting LeftCoastRecruiting ‏@LC_Recruiting 9m

@slipperstillfit Smooth with the ball, can be a deadly shooter (mid-range & 3pt), plays defense, can get to the rim! #silentassassin

Kiddwell
06-18-2013, 05:39 PM
ESPN -- 3*

Has Melson as the No. 1 player in Oregon. :D

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/183760/silas-melson

23rd best player out West. :)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/region/west/class/2014/view/region

Scout

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?sFirstName=silas&sLastName=melson&yr=2014&s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb

Rivals -- 3*

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Silas-Melson-145817;_ylt=Avo0JhK.rtwkN2tJuaOyjNfXO5B4

:]

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
It's a verbal and Oregon (his home state school) has yet to offer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer from them imminent. Quackers has made me quite cynical, lemme know when he signs on the dotted line.

Kiddwell
06-18-2013, 05:45 PM
It's a verbal and Oregon (his home state school) has yet to offer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer from them imminent. Quackers has made me quite cynical, lemme know when he signs on the dotted line.

Spy, have a warm chocolate chip cookie and a cold glass of milk. You'll feel better.

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Spy, have a warm chocolate chip cookie and a cold glass of milk. You'll feel better.

I really like the guy, but as I stated in another thread, every time we offer someone, Oregon almost immediately follows with an offer; it's like they can't actually recruit a player on their own. Has their been one player that both of us have offered this season where they offered before we did? It's lazy recruiting.

Oregonzagnut
06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
A kid from Portland Oregon isn't choosing Oregon.

He is thought to be the top player in Oregon and he knows what Gonzaga has to offer.

Smart kid!

maynard g krebs
06-18-2013, 06:04 PM

Educk doesn't show Melson on the Ducks' prospect list for 2014. Altman recruits small, ultraquick pg's so far (Artis, Loyd) and 6'4-6'7 wings (Dotson, Cook, Emory, etc). Without seeing Melson, he sounds like a combo that doesn't seem to fit the Ducks' mold but sounds like a perfect fit for the Zags.

I expect the Ducks to make a hard push for Dorsey, who does fit what they've been doing, and who I think is a big time talent and still under the radar.

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 06:04 PM
ESPN Scouting Report (http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/183760/silas-melson):

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/recruiting/ncb/players/190/183760.jpg&w=190&h=254

Strengths:
Melson has evolved into a high-major scoring guard with a solid dose of explosiveness. He has a smooth shooting stroke out to 20-feet and he gets nice lift on his shot. He can explode to the rim and throw down the dunk or attack the offensive glass for offensive tip-ins and follow dunks. In addition, he has active hands on the defensive end and he'll hit the boards too boot. On occasion, he has the capability of delivering He plays with great energy and appears to be a prospect that is about winning.

Weaknesses:
Melson needs to continue to improve his ball handling against pressure, especially while attacking while going left. In addition, he needs to add to his evolving offensive arsenal (runners, pull-ups in transition) as well as getting his teammates more involved. Defensively, he needs to be more assertive while defending on the perimeter.

Bottom Line:
Melson is a solid looking scoring guard for the mid-high major level. He reminds me a tad of UCLA standout Norman Powell, although not as long.

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 06:14 PM
From the man himself, on twitter:
Nicky Deuce ‏@KampaignSilas 13m

To whom it may concern lol...yes I committed to gonzaga today

Zagdawg
06-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the Zag family!

maynard g krebs
06-18-2013, 06:29 PM
I really like the guy, but as I stated in another thread, every time we offer someone, Oregon almost immediately follows with an offer; it's like they can't actually recruit a player on their own. Has their been one player that both of us have offered this season where they offered before we did? It's lazy recruiting.

Can you link anything showing a timetable for offers to Moser, Black, Cook, etc? It seems like an assumption that GU offered first. Maybe they did, maybe not, but I've never seen anything to show this is the case.

Oregon has now surpassed UW as the possible threat for Northwest supremacy, and that seems to be producing some anxiety on this board (not referring to you specifically). But with the turnover Altman faced his first 3 years, and what he's accomplished, to suggest that he's a lazy recruiter is far fetched. I didn't hear of GU recruiting Artis, Dotson, Emory, Woods, Austin, Loyd, any of the 1 yr transfers, or this yrs incoming class other than Cook.

This year both were trying to fill holes in the front line, and anybody who had a shot was going after Moser and Black.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Niiiiiice.

75Zag
06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2013/06/rose_city_showcase_silas_melso.html

Good offensive moves to the hoop. A bit turnover prone, but in my opinion that is fixable. Not afraid to take a few bumps in the face on the way to the basket. Nice outside shot.

His AAU team has an excellent record of getting kids academically eligible. They run their own training table / study table program at some god awful hour like 6 every morning. A kid coming out of ICP Elite should be well diciplined and ready for college.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Hopefully it gets some momentum going. It has to give the staff a lift and a shot in the arm. Optimism is contagious, so is confidence. Hope it is a sign of things to come.

webspinnre
06-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Wonderful news! Welcome aboard!

CDC84
His high school program has not only generated numerous high major players over the years, but several NBA Players as well.

ZaGranny
Nice job, Staff!

Welcome to Gonzaga!

ZaGranny

bigparb
06-18-2013, 07:29 PM
FANTASTIC!!

1 down...4 to go...now lets get Perk, Pope, Reid and Breckott!!

BTB
06-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Why oh why would anyone choose the Zags! ;-)

ezcure17
06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Kinda heard we got a verbal from him!! According to Coach Tommy back at the WCC tourney

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Jim Meehan on Melson's commitment: (http://http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/jun/18/melson-commits-gonzaga/)
Melson, who helped Jefferson to the Oregon Class 5A state championship, is the first commitment in Gonzaga’s 2014 class. He averaged 18 points as a junior.

Melson confirmed his commitment on Twitter Tuesday evening.

“Gonzaga stood out because of the fit for him and just how badly they wanted him,” Melson’s father, Tony, said. “This past year Silas was getting more popular and more schools showed interest and a couple other schools offered (scholarships), but nobody was as aggressive as Gonzaga.”

Tony Melson said his son had offers from Oregon State, Washington, Colorado State, Colorado and Drake, and he was receiving interest from Oregon and Washington State.

“When he comes in as a freshman, Gary Bell and Kevin Pangos will be seniors,” said Tony Melson, who played receiver at Portland State. “They are very good guards right now and they’re only going to get better. That’s very good leadership for Silas and the other guards on the team.”

whatazag
06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Awesome! Welcome Silas. Very excited about this signing.

Malastein
06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Kinda heard we got a verbal from him!! According to Coach Tommy back at the WCC tourney

Stephen Thompson Jr. is who?

Zagineer
06-18-2013, 08:46 PM

This.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6264535

Scroll down to the Schools of Interest and the "Offer?" column.

KStyles
06-18-2013, 08:48 PM

2015 SG from SoCal...he's on the same AAU team as Kendall Small (Superior Athletes), they both went to the USC Elite camp this past weekend. That's about all I know though, didn't know GU was recruiting him that hard.

hondo
06-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Jefferson High in Portland has a great tradition in basketball. Can you name other Zag/Zags who have attented Jefferson?

madness
06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
This is awesome news! It made my night!

Zagdawg
06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Melson works out better from a timing perspective than Thompson......Melson will have a year to tutor under Kevin/Gary without the pressure of having to walk in as a freshman and learn/run the team.

MDABE80
06-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Good solid kid who wants to be here. Welcome aboard young fella! We welcome you!

ZagaZags
06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I hope we have plenty of scholarships for the 2014-2015 season. Could be an epic class for the Zags.

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 09:39 PM
I hope we have plenty of scholarships for the 2014-2015 season. Could be an epic class for the Zags.https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q7vw4in-pts/UcFDoCZwgYI/AAAAAAABgIk/KZi4eZgcDIw/s700/2013-06-18%2520Scholie%2520Chart%2520Melson%2520.jpg

Let me know if I've missed anything ...

sittingon50
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
:clap:

Anyone know how big his Dad was, back in the day?

cggonzaga
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Melson was my second favorite guard after Perkins. Kid has ridiculous sneaky explosiveness. He reminds me of a bigger more athletic version of Bell. I imagine this takes us out of the running for Trey Kell? Maybe not if Perkins goes elsewhere and they make Melson a point guard. Here's to the beginning of a dream class. Lets get Reid to commit on his visit and then cross our fingers for Perkins and Pope.

SWZag
06-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome Silas! Look forward to watching your career progress!

ZagaZags
06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q7vw4in-pts/UcFDoCZwgYI/AAAAAAABgIk/KZi4eZgcDIw/s700/2013-06-18%2520Scholie%2520Chart%2520Melson%2520.jpg

Let me know if I've missed anything ...

But we might have 4 scholarships for 2014. 1 down ( Melson ) 4 to go ( Travis, Perkins, Pope and Welsh.)

Vanzagger
06-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Great job staff!! Welcome Silas

TravelinZag
06-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Assume this ends interest in McLaughlin, Wright and Kell (or that coaches believe Melson is best fit and/or most likely)?

thespywhozaggedme
06-19-2013, 05:48 AM
But we might have 4 scholarships for 2014. 1 down ( Melson ) 4 to go ( Travis, Perkins, Pope and Welsh.)

Now you're just being a ######. As of today, there are 2 available schollies for this season; if they get filled by juco or high school players they will be on scholarship for next season unless something unforseeable happens. That would leave two open for '14/'15 because Melson already took one. If the two scholarships this year are left vacant, or are filled by 1 year players, then yes, we could have four available. Be smart, cool and humble.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Welcome Silas Melson!

dnj116
06-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Great news! For what its worth, Donovan Dorsey has taken note:

DonavenCharlesDorsey ‏@donavendorsey24 11h
Congrats on the commitment to Gonzaga lil ckuddy. @KampaignSilas

Hope this is the beginning of a great recruiting class!

p.s., first time posting here since the tournament . . . couldn't bring myself to talk zag hoops for a while. Great news like this will bring me back (and away from lurking)! Cheers!

zagssuperfan
06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Assume this ends interest in McLaughlin, Wright and Kell (or that coaches believe Melson is best fit and/or most likely)?

A few weeks ago, Melson said "Coach [Mark] Few of Gonzaga says I'm always playing hard, and he sees the potential for me to become a good point guard even with me already being a good shooting guard." So it seems like the coaches got a kid that they can fill in either the sg or pg spot, depending on how the rest of the recruiting year turns out. If we aren't able to secure a high quality pg, but can get a sg like Kell, they may move Melson to pg.

:link:http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/944389671547822849/jefferson-guard-silas-melson-using-summer-basketball-to-raise-his-profile-video/

BobZag
06-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Happy to have you.

zagssuperfan
06-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Now you're just being a ######. As of today, there are 2 available schollies for this season; if they get filled by juco or high school players they will be on scholarship for next season unless something unforseeable happens. That would leave two open for '14/'15 because Melson already took one. If the two scholarships this year are left vacant, or are filled by 1 year players, then yes, we could have four available. Be smart, cool and humble.

Why do you seem so angry? As of now are there not 4 scholarships open? There is no reason to believe that we are more likely to have 2 or 3 than we are to have 4. In fact, based on recent history, there is a good chance Karno could go pro, or Draino could transfer to get more playing time. Just because someone expresses a differing view than you doesn't make them a @#$%$%

BroncoZAG615
06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm going to go ahead and assume the staff is aware of the scholarship situation and will work it out so that they can land an outstanding 2014 class.

Happy to have Silas take up one of those schollies. Should be a very solid contributor.

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I know this is a topic for another thread or day perhaps. But just curious to if you have any thoughts or news on how hard we are going after Donaven Dorsey?

kitzbuel
06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Happy to have you.

Indeed we are! Welcome aboard!

madness
06-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Silas seems really excited to commit. He was retweeting all the congrats last night, even by new followers and Zag fans.

Welcome Silas!

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Be so kind and quote the ESPN insider update on Melson and the Zags in here for me? Much appreciated.

madness
06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Nothing we don't know unfortunately:

By the time Gonzaga's class of 2014 enters their campus, both Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. will be seniors, and since Mark Few and his staff failed to land a guard in either the 2012 or '13 classes, it is imperative that Gonzaga focus nearly entirely on deepening their backcourt. It has been reported that both Namon Wright and Jordan McLaughlin are being intensely pursued by the Bulldogs, but since there will be plenty of minutes available, the recent commitment of Silas Melson, a 6-foot-2 guard, makes sense.

Melson is one of the more underrecruited guards on the west coast, being described by some as arguably the best player in the state of Oregon. Melson's commitment was crucial for the coaching staff; there is little indication the Zags will land either Wright or McLaughlin, and while Gonzaga was one of the first high-major programs to recruit Melson, the staff didn't want their scholarship offer to linger while Melson continued to improve on the recruiting trail. According to Melson's father, the allure of playing for one season under Bell and Pangos, and then hopefully playing extensive minutes, was alluring to his son, and Scout's Josh Gershon was effusive on the commitment: "Watched Silas Melson last month. Undersized two but athletic and can score. One of top SG's out west." When he arrives in Spokane, Melson should provide perimeter scoring and a guard who can create his own shot and stretch the defense, but we will continue to monitor Gonzaga's recruitment of what appears to be their two top '14 priorities (Wright and McLaughlin).

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Appreciate it.

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Be so kind and quote the ESPN insider update on Melson and the Zags in here for me? Much appreciated.

By Matt Giles | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
By the time Gonzaga's class of 2014 enters their campus, both Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. will be seniors, and since Mark Few and his staff failed to land a guard in either the 2012 or '13 classes, it is imperative that Gonzaga focus nearly entirely on deepening their backcourt. It has been reported that both Namon Wright and Jordan McLaughlin are being intensely pursued by the Bulldogs, but since there will be plenty of minutes available, the recent commitment of Silas Melson, a 6-foot-2 guard, makes sense.

Melson is one of the more underrecruited guards on the west coast, being described by some as arguably the best player in the state of Oregon. Melson's commitment was crucial for the coaching staff; there is little indication the Zags will land either Wright or McLaughlin, and while Gonzaga was one of the first high-major programs to recruit Melson, the staff didn't want their scholarship offer to linger while Melson continued to improve on the recruiting trail. According to Melson's father, the allure of playing for one season under Bell and Pangos, and then hopefully playing extensive minutes, was alluring to his son, and Scout's Josh Gershon was effusive on the commitment: "Watched Silas Melson last month. Undersized two but athletic and can score. One of top SG's out west." When he arrives in Spokane, Melson should provide perimeter scoring and a guard who can create his own shot and stretch the defense, but we will continue to monitor Gonzaga's recruitment of what appears to be their two top '14 priorities (Wright and McLaughlin).

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Cheers.

75Zag
06-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the information Jazz.

And I respectfully disagree with the article that a growing 6'2" shooting guard is "undersized", at least by GU standards. While I have reluctantly abandoned my hope (and my signature) that GU would "get bigger", a legitimate 6'2 with another year or two to grow does not scare me. I like Melson.

Go Bulldogs!

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
To pair any one of those two with Melson would be dynamite I just didn't realize we were still going hard after them. I have read both that we are pursuing and that we haven't been for awhile. Obviously I am not a resource nor do I have solid connections but if so would be great to get one of the two.

NotoriousZ
06-19-2013, 04:18 PM
happy to have you!

yes!!!

Zippyzaggy
06-19-2013, 04:31 PM
So, we get the "first piece of the puzzle."

Glad to get him........ and even more glad UW didn't.

Welcome to Zag Nation Silas!

Worthington
06-19-2013, 07:00 PM
To pair any one of those two with Melson would be dynamite I just didn't realize we were still going hard after them. I have read both that we are pursuing and that we haven't been for awhile. Obviously I am not a resource nor do I have solid connections but if so would be great to get one of the two.

We recently made McLaughlin's top 8 and I think we're in similar company with Wright. No word on whether we'll get visits from either, but when reading articles about them you often see good things said about Gonzaga and that we're pursuing hard. TSSF never liked our chances with Wright and thinks the Melson signing kills any chance we might have had

Zippyzaggy
06-19-2013, 08:44 PM
So, he's grown an inch (from 6'2 to 6'3) since committing earlier today....excellent news, lol!

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-7937254436916606416/boys-basketball-jeffersons-silas-melson-gives-gonzaga-his-word-for-2014-15-season/

Reborn
06-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Welcome to Zag basketball, Silas. You made a great decision.

I said earlier to those who were criticizing Mark Few and staff for their recruiting that I trusted Few et al and that they would do a great as they always do. And the good news just keeps on a comin.

ZagaZags
06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm going to go ahead and assume the staff is aware of the scholarship situation and will work it out so that they can land an outstanding 2014 class.

Happy to have Silas take up one of those schollies. Should be a very solid contributor.

I would assume so too. But just to make sure could you send them an email?

ZagNative
06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Nice story from the Oregonian (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-2916133313312706793/boys-basketball-jeffersons-silas-melson-gives-gonzaga-his-word-for-2014-15-season/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter), including some great comments from Silas:

Boys basketball: Jefferson's Silas Melson gives Gonzaga his word for 2014-15 season

Jim Beseda, The Oregonian, June 19, 2013 9 p.m.

http://hssn-media.advance.net/OregonLive.com/news/faaedae08f4b60bbdca9829bbf1ed8f4/silas%20melson%20v.%20cleveland.jpg

Jefferson High School's Silas Melson traveled to Spokane Saturday to meet with Gonzaga coach Mark Few and discuss the Bulldogs' long-standing scholarship offer.

On Tuesday, the Democrats' 6-foot-3 guard and a senior-to-be finally said yes.

Melson made an oral commitment to Gonzaga, becoming the first high school prospect to join the Bulldogs' 2014 recruiting class.

"They were on me the hardest," said Melson, named to the Class 5A all-state first team as a junior last season after leading the 24-4 Democrats of North Portland to their fourth state championship in six seasons. "They had the best basketball fit for me, along with being one of the best schools on the West Coast to get an education.

"And they were the No. 1 team in the country, so ... it's hard to turn that down."

Melson averaged 20.2 points, 3.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists last season while playing both guard positions on a Democrats team that went undefeated (12-0) through the Portland Interscholastic League and closed the season on a 17-game winning streak.

Melson's decision won't become official until the Nov. 13-20 early signing period for players in the Class of 2014, but said making it now gives him a "sense of freedom" heading into his senior year.

"I don't have to play with any worries or try to make a name or anything, because I already have my college selected," said Melson, who also received offers from Oregon State, Colorado, Colorado State, Washington and Drake, and had drawn interest from others, including Oregon, Memphis and Tennessee. "It's a weight off my shoulders.

"The work I'm putting in is paying off. There's still something to prove, because people want to see if I'm really worthy enough to be a Gonzaga commit. They want to see that I'm good and I want to prove that I'm legit. And I want to get another state championship."He's going to be a GREAT Bulldog!

thespywhozaggedme
06-20-2013, 05:45 AM
This quote of his should make the doubting Thomas's realize how relevant our program still is "because people want to see if I'm really worthy enough to be a Gonzaga commit". Really excited about Silas

basketballzag
06-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Can't wait to see Melson Silas on the Court for the Zags. Welcome aboard.

ZagNative
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Reggie Rankin's take (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruitingnational/post/_/id/7234/melson-gives-zags-backcourt-scoring):
Melson gives Zags backcourt scoring
By Reggie Rankin | ESPN.com

Gonzaga head coach Mark Few is probably smiling today after landing a commitment from shooting guard Silas Melson (Portland, Ore./Jefferson), a three-star guard and the top rising senior in Oregon. Melson picked the Bulldogs over offers from West coast programs Washington and Colorado State, among others. He is the first pledge for Gonzaga in the 2014 class.

Silas Melson is a three-star SG heading to Gonzaga.

Melson, who runs with the ICP Elite AAU squad, is a major sleeper and just missed the cut for the initial ESPN 100 player rankings. He makes his living scoring in a variety of ways and is an extremely competitive player. Those qualities should help him succeed in the Zags lineup once he gets on campus next year.

Gonzaga fans are going to like how the 6-foot-3, 170-pound Melson handles his business on the court. He’s a playmaker in the open floor and finishes well through contact for a guard. He can be a prolific shot-maker in the Zags’ halfcourt offense with his ability to create off the bounce, knock down open 3s coming off screens or via kick outs. Melson makes good decisions with the ball when the defense keys in on him and regularly delivers on-target dimes to open teammates. His decision-making, passing and ability to defend either guard spots allows him to slide over to the point in a pinch.

Back at the Minneapolis EYBL session in May, Melson discussed his potential move to the point.

"I can shoot, score and defend the ball. I am working on making the move to the 1 but need to keep working on my point guard skills," he said.

Melson has the requisite talent, mental toughness and physical tools to challenge for immediate playing time once he arrives in Spokane and Gonzaga fans will grow to love his exciting play.

bballbeachbum
06-23-2013, 12:03 PM
sweet :) looking forward to him already

JPtheBeasta
06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
I liked this quote:

There's still something to prove, because people want to see if I'm really worthy enough to be a Gonzaga commit

Perhaps we are our toughest critics around here. Gonzaga has had really good guards for years. The theme last year for me was, "stop and smell the roses." I think they are still in bloom.

DixieZag
06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey thanks for posting the article Native! Great stuff.

Silas seems to be the typical Few recruit, the type of kid that has the IQ and maturity to get better every single year as well as a "team oriented" game. I think that is why we get in on players "early." I think it is because they like kids that have the right disposition (if not all the skills/physical needs) to keep improving, keep growing, maybe they weren't stars as sophomores but really blow up through their senior year of high school.

Very exciting stuff.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2013, 02:25 PM
I liked this quote:

Perhaps we are our toughest critics around here. Gonzaga has had really good guards for years. The theme last year for me was, "stop and smell the roses." I think they are still in bloom.

Did you see my post four posts above yours? We posted virtually the same thing. Great minds think alike.

ZagaZags
06-24-2013, 01:55 AM
When did Drake offer?

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2013, 07:44 AM
When did Drake offer?

I would imagine after RG got the job

exclusivelee
06-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB (https://twitter.com/ZagMBB) 18m (https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/476782231382278145)
Introducing 2014-2015 newcomer Silas Melson. @KampaignSilas (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas) will wear #0 for the Zags this season. pic.twitter.com/08hufRcoJJ (http://t.co/08hufRcoJJ)
https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/476782231382278145

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bp3e6caCUAA-Yfa.jpg (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bp3e6caCUAA-Yfa.jpg)

Silas Melson has chosen jersey #0, worn previously by Rob Sacre (if #00 counts) and Gerard Coleman

Silas Melson ‏@KampaignSilas (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas) 14m
(https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/status/476783106213441536)@ZagMBB (https://twitter.com/ZagMBB) *6-3, 181 pounds. Those ones were my junior year measurements lol
https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/status/476783106213441536

But Melson says that he's 6'3 & 181 lbs now

jazzdelmar
06-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Silas Melson has chosen jersey #0, worn previously by Rob Sacre (if #00 counts) and Gerard Coleman

But Melson says that he's 6'3 & 181 lbs now

Wow, both he and Perk are sizeable and ready for prime time.

MDABE80
06-11-2014, 10:15 AM
I think both are. My guess is that Silas gets moved to the court faster because of his shooting. Both have very good size.

3zagda
06-11-2014, 10:40 AM
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-5561352454061501695/states-top-basketball-seniors-on-display-in-eugene-and-salem-this-weekend-at-oregon-athletic-coaches-association-all-star-series/
At the above link they do not list Melson as playing in this all-star game. Anyone have any idea why not? Is he already up at GU? When do the incoming freshman usually arrive, do most come for summer school? I understand many internationals (like Sabonis) may have other commitments.

cjm720
06-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Melson and Perks are going to be a fun duo to watch

Radbooks
06-11-2014, 11:09 AM
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-5561352454061501695/states-top-basketball-seniors-on-display-in-eugene-and-salem-this-weekend-at-oregon-athletic-coaches-association-all-star-series/
At the above link they do not list Melson as playing in this all-star game. Anyone have any idea why not? Is he already up at GU? When do the incoming freshman usually arrive, do most come for summer school? I understand many internationals (like Sabonis) may have other commitments.

I think there is a rule on the number of all-star games you are allowed to play. I know he played in the Oregon-Washington game so that may have been the only one for Silas.

exclusivelee
06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Melson on campus, too!

Steven Gray & Kelly Olynyk vs. Silas Melson & Kyle Wiltjer:

R (https://twitter.com/RitaJean89)ita Helmbrecht (https://twitter.com/RitaJean89)@RitaJean89 (https://twitter.com/RitaJean89) 7:13pm · 28 Jun 2014 (https://twitter.com/RitaJean89/status/483070610793185280)
New vs old #gozags (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gozags) pic.twitter.com/swxBALBfNB (http://t.co/swxBALBfNB)
https://twitter.com/RitaJean89/status/483070610793185280

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrQ2KPbCAAEhXYJ.jpg:medium

zag67
06-29-2014, 05:13 AM
That is great to see. The old coming back and mentoring the new.

exclusivelee
07-05-2014, 06:07 PM
From Twitter:

Silas Melson ‏@KampaignSilas (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas) 6:53pm · 5 Jul 2014 (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/status/485602420710326272)
@kwiltj (https://twitter.com/kwiltj) wants no piece of horse with me lol
https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/status/485602420710326272

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br0009KCcAEg1zA.jpg

From Instagram:

Kyle Wiltjer @kwiltj (http://instagram.com/kwiltj) 2 hours ago
@kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) negotiating prices with the ice cream man
http://instagram.com/p/qFui3kAkmE/

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10467830_793933263984864_1064127612_n.jpg

JPtheBeasta
07-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Did you see my post four posts above yours? We posted virtually the same thing. Great minds think alike.

Too funny :]

Seeing these pics makes me want the season to start soon. Like, yesterday.

exclusivelee
07-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Alberts, Melson, & Perkins:

Silas Melson @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) 6 hours ago
Freshman #ZagUp
http://instagram.com/p/qGK2DQocnH/

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/917133_792822137417421_611212232_n.jpg

HenneZag
07-06-2014, 08:04 AM
The trio! can't wait for Kraziness so that I can see these guys all playing for the first time. Future is looking bright.

23dpg
07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Melson without any tattoos? Are we sure he's from Portland??

jazzdelmar
07-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Melson without any tattoos? Are we sure he's from Portland??

the hand gesture? semiotic experts under 40, please weigh in....

GoZags
07-06-2014, 09:10 AM

I don't know, Jazz. But I do know that the pic posted yesterday where he's obviously robbing the ice cream truck with his six shooters is alarming. Post #88, 2nd pic on this thread.

jazzdelmar
07-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I don't know, Jazz. But I do know that the pic posted yesterday where he's obviously robbing the ice cream truck with his six shooters is alarming. Post #88, 2nd pic on this thread.

I gotcha, GZ, I am an old fart. Point made, sharply.

PS, do vintage ice cream trucks still exist or of is that a campus prop? Next stop, Smithsonian.

Ekrub
07-06-2014, 09:28 AM
I gotcha, GZ, I am an old fart. Point made, sharply.

PS, do vintage ice cream trucks still exist or of is that a campus prop? Next stop, Smithsonian.

If that's considered vintage, then yeah we still have those floating around spokane.

jazzdelmar
07-06-2014, 09:31 AM
If that's considered vintage, then yeah we still have those floating around spokane.

Um, yea. I saw those floating around the streets of Brooklyn, circa late 50s. Either Good Humor or Mr. Softee. Check out the Paleolithic graphics on the product promos. Cherish them, maybe the rest of the world will catch up, or is that back off.

Ekrub
07-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Um, yea. I saw those floating around the streets of Brooklyn, circa late 50s. Either Good Humor or Mr. Softee. Check out the Paleolithic graphics on the product promos. Cherish them, maybe the rest of the world will catch up, or is that back off.

Spongebob was around in the 50's? I'm with you though, I prefer these trucks to the F-150s with a freezer in the bed.

maynard g krebs
07-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Since I'm not under 40- they're playing rock, scissors, paper, and Melson chose "scissors".

Malastein
07-06-2014, 03:55 PM
So for those who have seen all three in summer scrimmages, who has stood out this far? This is the worst offseason ever on that front!

sittingon50
07-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Don't know how accurate I am Mal, but:
1. Think they all just showed up last weekend &
2. There are more camps (?).

jazzdelmar
07-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Since I'm not under 40- they're playing rock, scissors, paper, and Melson chose "scissors".

Not even close, May.

Malastein
07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Haven't been on as much, but in the past we used to get a lot more reports. Would love to get some tangible reports on what should be one of the most hyped teams in Gonzaga history...

MDABE80
07-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I'll try to get over this week. I opened a new laser training center..busy busy busy.......but I'll try. Zag Buddy? You'd know if the kids are playing.....what gives?

Zagdawg
07-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Looks like they are enjoying themselves as a team----good to see.

ZagNative
07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Very cool to see the guys bonding!

exclusivelee
07-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Karnowski, Wiltjer, & Barham:

Drew Barham @dbarham43 (http://instagram.com/dbarham43) 23 minutes ago
Beach and pool workouts complete. #TeamLightERskin @pkarnowski (http://instagram.com/pkarnowski) @kwiltj (http://instagram.com/kwiltj) @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) @joshperk13 (http://instagram.com/joshperk13) @bryan_a_alberts (http://instagram.com/bryan_a_alberts)
http://instagram.com/p/qSNjHYknz6

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10546594_660245124044748_141456178_n.jpg

Josh Perkins, Drew Barham, Kyle Wiltjer, Bryan Alberts, Przemek Karnowski, Ryan Edwards:

Silas Melson @KampaignSilas (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas) 12:10pm · 10 Jul 2014 (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/status/487312867079626753)
#ZagLife (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ZagLife) pic.twitter.com/myq2U0JvFC (http://t.co/myq2U0JvFC)
https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/st...12867079626753 (https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas/status/487312867079626753)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsNIeF3CQAAu-HE.jpg:large

Kyle Wiltjer, Silas Melson, Josh Perkins, Bryan Alberts, & Ryan Edwards:

Kyle Wiltjer @kwiltj (http://instagram.com/kwiltj) 2 hours ago
Team light skin #ZagUp @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas)@joshperk13 (http://instagram.com/joshperk13) @bryan_a_alberts (http://instagram.com/bryan_a_alberts) @ryan.edwards (http://instagram.com/ryan.edwards)
http://instagram.com/p/qR79dDAkoy/

http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10547015_501940593270079_1664944922_n.jpg

MDABE80
07-10-2014, 01:17 PM
This picture might incorporate the starting 5 next year. Great stuff. Few's pulled a rabbit out his hat this year.!

Birddog
07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Is that a Baby Ruth floating in the pool?

ZagaZags
07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Is that a Baby Ruth floating in the pool?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YDurhx8QyA

sittingon50
07-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Does Barham have a twin? Seems like he's popping up all over the country!

zag buddy
07-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I started a thread on scrimmages Abe. I guess no one else has seen them play so far. Their was no door monitor when I went, which was after the last camp.

jyboc
07-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Those can't be college players, especially ones that plan to make the NBA, where are the tattoos?

SteelZag
07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Not totally tattoo free.

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/917133_792822137417421_611212232_n.jpg

hooter73
07-10-2014, 07:48 PM
I personally can not wait to see Melson drop the hammer and just go off on a team.

exclusivelee
07-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Alberts & Melson:

Silas Melson @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) 23 minutes ago
Me and the homie was just livin' that #ZagLife
http://instagram.com/p/qTEGsoIcox/
http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/928004_262144447321662_314982810_n.jpg

Bryan Alberts @bryan_a_alberts (http://instagram.com/bryan_a_alberts) 2 hours ago
Post open run wit my boii @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas)
http://instagram.com/p/qSwtdfuL1Z/
http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10553982_1462090114038974_1462574929_n.jpg

B Wayne
07-10-2014, 08:22 PM
The new tattoo is no tattoo. To many more now in the younger generation, tats are a sign of conformity rather than individualism because tens of millions of people have them. I feel real sorry for people who have a temporary fashion trend permanently etched on their bodies. Can you imagine having to wear the same fashion trend (parachute pants, bell bottoms, leisure suit) the rest of your life lol?

hooter73
07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
The new tattoo is no tattoo. To many more now in the younger generation, tats are a sign of conformity rather than individualism because tens of millions of people have them. I feel real sorry for people who have a temporary fashion trend permanently etched on their bodies. Can you imagine having to wear the same fashion trend (parachute pants, bell bottoms, leisure suit) the rest of your life lol?

lets leave the social fad commentary for another place... no matter how much I agree with you and laugh at my buddy with his tribal band from the late 90's ;)

Bryan needs some meat on those bones!

sittingon50
07-10-2014, 11:10 PM
The problem with my bell bottoms Wayne is that the "bottoms" still fit; the waists, not so much!

TexasZagFan
07-11-2014, 04:49 AM
The problem with my bell bottoms Wayne is that the "bottoms" still fit; the waists, not so much!

:lmao:

I pulled my Army Class A's out of storage last weekend. Back then, I wore a size 38 jacket (and it was a bit snug)...I'm now a 44, but my height has remained the same. Damn that law of gravity!

TexasZagFan
07-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Not totally tattoo free.

How about comparing photos of Big Rob as a freshman and senior? :lmao:

If you want to see some hideous tats, make a visit to any large amusement part during the summer. :vomit-smiley-007:

I'll get my first tattoo after the Zags win the Big Dance. It will be a Zag Bulldog on my calf.

jazzdelmar
07-11-2014, 05:19 AM
:lmao:

I pulled my Army Class A's out of storage last weekend. Back then, I wore a size 38 jacket (and it was a bit snug)...I'm now a 44, but my height has remained the same. Damn that law of gravity!

UM, gravity doesn't work sideways, Tex. Try your field jacket, they were looser. And the cap should always fit.

jazzdelmar
07-11-2014, 05:20 AM
How about comparing photos of Big Rob as a freshman and senior? :lmao:

If you want to see some hideous tats, make a visit to any large amusement part during the summer. :vomit-smiley-007:

I'll get my first tattoo after the Zags win the Big Dance. It will be a Zag Bulldog on my calf.

Yes, you are so right Tex. I spent a day at the San Diego fair with my grandkids and it was Eye opening. It was particularly true at the dirt track where there was an exhibition of cars and motorbikes. Sigh.

A to Zags
07-11-2014, 05:39 AM
UM, gravity doesn't work sideways, Tex. Try your field jacket, they were looser. And the cap should always fit.

You may have Furniture Disease.... That's where your chest falls into your drawers. The symptoms sound suspicious. See a doctor.

TexasZagFan
07-11-2014, 07:23 AM

Ummm...my field jacket now fits like a Pendleton. :lmao:

Time to get back on track with the diet and exercise regimens. I had fun during vacation, though!

I still have a bit of a "glow" from the visit to the Back Gate of Area 51.

Corky
07-11-2014, 07:51 AM

I am lucky as I no longer fit into my old leisure suits. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Birddog
07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
"I still have a bit of a "glow" from the visit to the Back Gate of Area 51"

Two words: "Ancient Aliens"

RRZagFan
07-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1h
The sleeper in Gonzaga's back court may be 6-3 freshman Silas Melson. Can flat out SCORE it. Totally flying under the radar in Spokane.

Won't be a secret very long after season starts,going to be a fun year!!!

ZagaZags
07-13-2014, 04:40 AM
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1h
The sleeper in Gonzaga's back court may be 6-3 freshman Silas Melson. Can flat out SCORE it. Totally flying under the radar in Spokane.

Won't be a secret very long after season starts,going to be a fun year!!!

Under the radar my......
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hBaFR2YmyX0/Tz0j88vlj1I/AAAAAAAAF5c/hE4_T-E6ov4/s1600/Girl+Hot+Ass.jpg

Make no mistake, Melson will be huge.

jazzdelmar
07-13-2014, 04:59 AM
SM reminds me of a very young D Fisher with respect to his game and leadership.....

OZZY
07-13-2014, 02:30 PM
ZZ you sure know how to get my attention!

There will be no letup for any Zag opponent this year if one fo the starters takes a break!

ZagaZags
07-13-2014, 03:31 PM
ZZ you sure know how to get my attention!

There will be no letup for any Zag opponent this year if one fo the starters takes a break!

:cheers:

exclusivelee
07-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Melson in flight! (click link to watch video)

http://videos-c-14.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10555661_481867618614134_1133022278_n.mp4

Silas Melson @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) 43 minutes ago
Our kool downs be something tough lol #zaglife
http://instagram.com/p/qf6r_CIcjh/
http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10538741_719191381481686_935209982_n.jpg

exclusivelee
07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Melson with some more hops! Pangos, Perkins, Alberts, Barham, & Wiltjer part of the fun, too. Now on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSiW8zXhoHk&feature=youtu.be

Kyle Wiltjer @kwiltj (http://instagram.com/kwiltj) 13 hours ago
the crew is back...post practice #GAMEBREAKER @kpangos (http://instagram.com/kpangos) @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) @joshperk13 (http://instagram.com/joshperk13) @bryan_a_alberts (http://instagram.com/bryan_a_alberts) @dbarham43 (http://instagram.com/dbarham43) @TIM (http://instagram.com/TIM) s/o @awiltjer (http://instagram.com/awiltjer) for the camera work, @swiltj (http://instagram.com/swiltj) for the editing
http://instagram.com/p/qf62oBgkoR/
http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10554093_1513794358850049_90297749_n.jpg

cjm720
07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Who's the dude in glasses?

exclusivelee
07-25-2014, 09:21 AM
West Coast Convo article: "Meet the Freshmen: Gonzaga’s Silas Melson"

http://westcoastconvo.com/2014/07/25/meet-freshmen-gonzagas-silas-melson/

hooter73
07-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Probably the one Im most excited to see play. I know it wont be perfection right out of the gate but Bells scoring ability with Pargos killer instinct mentality and a mature attitude to boot (my evaluation), this is the type of player I like to watch.

exclusivelee
08-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Summer Crew: Edwards, Melson, Wiltjer, Alberts, Pangos, Perkins, Bell

Kevin Pangos @kpangos (http://instagram.com/kpangos) Aug. 4, 2014 - 1:10pm (http://instagram.com/p/rSg9NxuUi5/)
#FutureSoBright @kwiltj @gary.bell @joshperk13 @kampaignsilas @ryan.edwards @b.alberts
http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10549819_280082508844325_1158151813_n.jpg

jazzdelmar
08-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Are they signaling 32?

sittingon50
08-04-2014, 02:22 PM
:roll:

exclusivelee
08-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Bell, Perkins, & Melson at Camp Good Times:

Silas Melson @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) Aug 4, 2014 - 9:37pm (http://instagram.com/p/rTa7xbIcvA/)
Earlier today helping the kids at camp good life. It's always good to give back to people who support you #ZagLife
http://photos-d.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10598358_619658888142195_1494071163_n.jpg

Perkins, Melson, Pangos, Wiltjer, Edwards, Bell, & Alberts at Camp Good Times:

Kyle Wiltjer @kwiltj (http://instagram.com/kwiltj) Aug 4, 2014 - 8:04pm (http://instagram.com/p/rTQR_Hgklr/)
Had an awesome time with the kids today at Camp Good Times. Praying for all these kids #Believe
http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10598389_665416503542478_1867566859_n.jpg

exclusivelee
09-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Melson shows off his hops a little more. Click link or photo to watch a video of some of his dunks:

http://videos-g-5.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10708847_1625531897673565_547348213_n.mp4

Silas Melson @kampaignsilas (http://instagram.com/kampaignsilas) - 34 minutes ago (http://instagram.com/p/s_inCzIco9/)
Something light for y'all, just trying to get my bounce back #ZagLife
http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10707218_367016713467041_527496540_n.jpg (http://videos-g-5.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10708847_1625531897673565_547348213_n.mp4)

SteelZag
09-15-2014, 09:21 PM
WOW!

ZagaZags
09-15-2014, 09:28 PM
WOW!

Kid has hops.

bigblahla
09-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Gonna be hard to keep him off the court.....the future is unbelievably bright..

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
09-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Based on what I have seen... anyone worried about chemistry with this team is being a nervous nellie.

kitzbuel
02-17-2018, 12:18 PM
A fun thread to look back on today.