PDA

View Full Version : TSSF Update: Malik Pope

CDC84
06-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Pope is currently ranked at #7 with Rivals and #16 at scout.com. He's pretty much the most highly rated prospect on the west coast for 2014.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/6/18/4442456/malik-pope-looks-to-return-from-injury-2014-recruit-remains-high

Even with his injury, recruiting has continued to stay strong for Pope. With that said, there are a few schools that are coming after him the hardest.

"In general I would say SDSU, Gonzaga, Kansas, Cal, Arizona, Louisville, Oregon, USC and Washington are coming the hardest. There are other schools that have offered like Miami, Texas, Georgetown and UCLA, but the other ones are coming the hardest."

Gonzaga has really been a steady presence in Malik's recruitment, with Donny Daniels continuing to take the lead.

"Coach Daniels has done a great job of recruiting Malik," Dodson explained. "He has done as good of a job as any coach and has established a relationship, which is reason why they are in there. He has stayed in contact and really developed that relationship. He has positioned Gonzaga to where they have a legitimate shot."

jazzdelmar
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
sigh.

realtydog
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
sigh.

more teasing by top talent

BTB
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
This sounds awesome to me!!!

jazzdelmar
06-18-2013, 12:04 PM
This sounds awesome to me!!!

Double sigh. The #7 player in the country is gonna come to Gonzaga?

cjm720
06-18-2013, 12:15 PM
We will break through with one of these recruits....I'm ready for it.

Would live to see 2 Jesuit Popes!!

DixieZag
06-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Not if we don't try.

"I never scored a goal on a shot I didn't take." Wayne Gretzky

We don't have to beat the bushes as much as we used to so I don't think all that many recruits will go under the radar from time spent recruiting him.

Is it likely he will come? nah, is it possible? not if we don't try.

BTB
06-18-2013, 12:18 PM

I believe that Gonzaga is actually an attractive option for some players.. call me crazy

MDABE80
06-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Would be a slam dunk if we'd have gone further. Meanwhile, this kid will change everything if he comes. Hope he continues to recover from his injury. I'd say we have a decent chance unless Cal/someone bends his ear with sugar plums and fairy tales. Lil Kenny Simpson at Dons Central wants Malik to come to us too;)

Seriously..we need this caliber of kid. Sounds like Donny's given us a good chance. He would be our best recruit (ratings wise) in quite some time.

zagssuperfan
06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Espn has updated their rankings more recently than the other two sites, and they have Pope at #30 overall, which is MUCH more realistic for us than rival's #7.

Zagdawg
06-18-2013, 01:09 PM
But there is no chance a top 30 kid decides to come to lowly Gonzaga of the WCC....... despite the #1 ranking/seed/ESPN coverage

Woe is us---

Oh wait Daye was ranked by ESPN 27th overall......I guess it can happen.

Carry on.

cggonzaga
06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Espn has updated their rankings more recently than the other two sites, and they have Pope at #30 overall, which is MUCH more realistic for us than rival's #7.

He was at 8 before the injury. Just get the feeling those guys haven't seen him play in a while. Out of sight out of mind kind of deal.

webspinnre
06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
While I don't have high hopes that he'll come, I like that we've got a shot. If we don't try, we'll never get one of these guys. And if we can end up getting one, that could start a chain reaction of events to propel us to the next level.

77Zag
06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Come on Donny....work your magic!

Go Zags!!

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Means you can't be in the top ten in player rankings....otherwise you have to choose Kentucky or Duke etc...c'mon. It's easier to say that a player that's ranked # 7 in the country won't choose Gonzaga because it's the safe choice, the odds don't stack up usually and in the end you could say I told you so. But there is a chance he chooses us, I believe we are still in the game with everyone else for Perkins. Do I have my skepticism, sure I do.

As I have said before, I believe getting commitments from other high caliber players such as Reid/Pope etc will only help propel a potential "domino effect" Perkins has mentioned before about the possibility of being paired with Reid. It could happen folks, why not play together @ GU is it such a elementary thought? Will see, many factors will play a role.

madness
06-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I cannot even fathom a frontcourt with Pope AND Travis...holy crap that would be dominating

hondo
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Keep sawing wood.

JPtheBeasta
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Oh wait Daye was ranked by ESPN 27th overall......I guess it can happen

Gonzaga will never be ranked #1 in the nation. Oh wait-- that happened, too.

Anything is possible! Our ranking last year might have elevated our status enough in the minds of the right recruits.

Our hopes and dreams don't rest on this guy, but it would be nice to have him for a year or so. As long as we find a solid 3rd rotation guy down low for next year, we should be fine though- more guard focused, but fine.

Zagdawg
06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
This calls for a motivational quote or two.

"Those who don't try fail 100% of the time."
- unknown

“The start is what stops most people.”

- Don Shula

“I realized early on that success was tied to not giving up. Most people in this business gave up and went on to other things. If you simply didn’t give up, you would outlast the people who came in on the bus with you.”

- Harrison Ford

“We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.”

- Jesse Owens

“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”

- Jerry Rice

“If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”

- Gandhi

“Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had.”

- Unknown

“Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one’s ideas, to take a calculated risk – and to act.”

- Maxwell Maltz

“The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat.”

- Napoleon Hill

“When the world says, ‘Give up’, Hope whispers, ‘Try it one more time.’”

- Unknown

“If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.” – Bruce Lee

bigparb
06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I cannot even fathom a frontcourt with Pope AND Travis...holy crap that would be dominating

I know Pope has been listed as a PF in the past .....the story however clearly says he's a 3 or SF......makes this potential class of (some combination) Perk, Reid, Pope, Silas, Kell, Breckott, Dorsey, Sabonis even more versatile & betta!!!

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Commitment to oregon in..................3,2,1

Zagcity
06-18-2013, 06:14 PM

You still on the pain meds? Don't think their smart enough this time ;)

maynard g krebs
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Ducks are the destination of choice for transfers up to now. Altman has had great success with one year seniors (4 of them in his 3 years), and that's what he could sell Moser and Amardi etc. The next freshman recruit that picks the Ducks over the Zags will be the first.

Kiddwell
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
This calls for a motivational quote or two.

“If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.” – Bruce Lee

“If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”

- Gandhi

"I once owned a Chevy. I now own a Pontiac. Think big."

--Bruce "Lee" Gandhi (Connell, Wa).

:]

LongIslandZagFan
06-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Why bother trying.

Zagquette
06-19-2013, 06:39 AM
"Coach Daniels has done a great job of recruiting Malik," Dodson explained. "He has done as good of a job as any coach and has established a relationship, which is reason why they are in there."

Back-handed compliment? Like we don't deserve to be there with the basketball powerhouses of UW, UO, And SDSU... Even an objective observer could make the argument that GUs program is the best of that bunch.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 06:49 AM
"Coach Daniels has done a great job of recruiting Malik," Dodson explained. "He has done as good of a job as any coach and has established a relationship, which is reason why they are in there."

Back-handed compliment? Like we don't deserve to be there with the basketball powerhouses of UW, UO, And SDSU... Even an objective observer could make the argument that GUs program is the best of that bunch.

Sounds like a straight up compliment. I do wonder how much Coach Few's involved...would be a huge get.

LongIslandZagFan
06-19-2013, 06:55 AM
http://d75822.medialib.glogster.com/media/84/84bb51cc1e7caeea24b27b0a77607e84eeacf4f1fcfee7f1e4 8ae5547b66e76b/eeyore.jpg

Oh... Why bother... Sigh... Right Jazz?

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 07:29 AM

more likely LA-AAU area pals, he's saying sincere nice things about a friend.

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 07:30 AM
http://d75822.medialib.glogster.com/media/84/84bb51cc1e7caeea24b27b0a77607e84eeacf4f1fcfee7f1e4 8ae5547b66e76b/eeyore.jpg

Oh... Why bother... Sigh... Right Jazz?

only with 4 stars and above...out of our depth, sorry to say.

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Don't we have 3 current players on the Roster right now who are 4 star recruits by ESPN. Bell, Pangos and Coleman?

Not trying to beat a dead horse but don't think 4 star guys are off the radar for us.

In all honesty, what do you think our chances are on landing Reid?

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Don't we have 3 current players on the Roster right now who are 4 star recruits by ESPN. Bell, Pangos and Coleman?

Not trying to beat a dead horse but don't think 4 star guys are off the radar for us.

In all honesty, what do you think our chances are on landing Reid?

ur right, partially. bell was a 4 in the old system and so was coleman, but he is via providence. pangos as a canadian was not ranked.

so maybe 4s are a reach for GU but the chase for 5s like perkins and pope seems quixotic. lotta wheel spinning, imo. happy to be dead wrong.

HenneZag
06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Will see soon enough what the future brings. Like I said I too have my skepticism but hold on to the "it could happen" train.

If we can get a commit from Reid, I believe we will unleash with a full head of steam for 2014.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
ur right, partially. bell was a 4 in the old system and so was coleman, but he is via providence. pangos as a canadian was not ranked.

so maybe 4s are a reach for GU but the chase for 5s like perkins and pope seems quixotic. lotta wheel spinning, imo. happy to be dead wrong.

What's your agenda Jazz? Just don't get the constant nagging at the program.

What's your solution to your perceived problem with the program or do you plan on simply bashing every step the program takes? #gettingtiresome

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 09:02 AM
What's your agenda Jazz? Just don't get the constant nagging at the program.

What's your solution to your perceived problem with the program or do you plan on simply bashing every step the program takes? #gettingtiresome

providing balance and what i view as a pragmatic view to pollyannas like yourself....which is also tiresome, imo.

DixieZag
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
I don't think that "balance" is provided merely by taking an extreme stance, which is what I think the label of "impossible" or "quixotic" recruiting of Perkins or Pope.

To me, recruiting 5 stars like above is detrimental to the program when there is no possibility that they will attend and time could be better spent elsewhere. Here, especially with Perkins, there is genuine interest reciprocated, he visited us second! It is not "balanced" to label that a failing effort or detrimental. It is just wrong.

Let's say there is a 25% chance that he comes, if/when he chooses another school, it will be very tempting to say "see, I was right" - but no, that isn't right, being in the middle of a decision like that is exactly where we want to be b/c at some point, one of those is going to land at our doorstep.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
providing balance and what i view as a pragmatic view to pollyannas like yourself....which is also tiresome, imo.

A #### disturber or devil's advocate, got it. I have some of that in me, just not with my Zags...a first team AA and number one ranking does that for me.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't think that "balance" is provided merely by taking an extreme stance, which is what I think the label of "impossible" or "quixotic" recruiting of Perkins or Pope.

To me, recruiting 5 stars like above is detrimental to the program when there is no possibility that they will attend and time could be better spent elsewhere. Here, especially with Perkins, there is genuine interest reciprocated, he visited us second! It is not "balanced" to label that a failing effort or detrimental. It is just wrong.

Let's say there is a 25% chance that he comes, if/when he chooses another school, it will be very tempting to say "see, I was right" - but no, that isn't right, being in the middle of a decision like that is exactly where we want to be b/c at some point, one of those is going to land at our doorstep.

Plus recruiting efforts have long-term benefits too...might not land one kid, but maybe we impressed a coach or younger kid. This is nothing but good news...trending up (sorry 75, I believe I'm right notwistanding early exits).

maynard g krebs
06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
From reading history, Fitz told Monson/Few et al it was pointless to waste time recruiting guys like Santangelo (Stanford offer w/ Monty?) because they'd never come to GU.

Aiming above perceived limits is what got the program where it is. And just being listed by these kind of players gives credibility with other players. Nothing wrong with taking a few long shots. Program has plenty of money for recruiting now, or so it appears, and there's plenty of time in the offseason.

jazzdelmar
06-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I didn't say its wrong just quixotic. One kid is number 7 in the country. I'm thinking chances of landing him are quite a bit south of 25%. But go ahead hAve fun.

webspinnre
06-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Honestly, if we've got a 10% chance at him, don't you think it's worth it? That's a 10% chance at having the kind of premium player that could lead to an E8 or beyond, and start a domino of other top 50 or top 100 players. I'd sure take a 10% shot at all that, while still having other possibilities in place.

DixieZag
06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
I didn't say its wrong just quixotic. One kid is number 7 in the country. I'm thinking chances of landing him are quite a bit south of 25%. But go ahead hAve fun.

You lumped Perkins in with Pope, though it is true that the thread is about Pope primarily and has evolved into recruiting generally. I was referencing the chances of Perkins coming in my example.

Every single thing I know about Perkins and Pope I have learned here. I am not trying to pretend that I have special knowledge. I do know that both have shown interest and with Perkins, strong enough to use one of a precious five visits to see us. Labeling the recruitment of a kid who spent 20% of his visit time at Gonzaga as futile seems wrong, to me.

And I do think it is fun to watch this closely and think of the possibilities and like most, can do so without losing grip of reality.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM

It's a damned if we do, damned if we don't argument.

We can't get those recruits and we don't have good enough recruits.

We're transitioning from the little school that could do a major power. Going after high-major kids is part of this process.

Reborn
06-19-2013, 01:54 PM
It is indeed good to go after the best possible players for GU. Even if we are failing to get 5* players now, if we don't continue to go after them we will NEVER get them. It's like climbing a ladder. Its step by step. If you don't keep trying to get to the top you'll never make it. Gonzaga's program is continuing to evolve and get better, year by year. Mark Few is a visionary, imo, and his vision and his dream is to reach the top. And I believe he will.

In the Book Braveheart, I recall the step by step outline of how Few thought Gonzaga would make it to the top. Near the top of the outline (ladder) was being able to recruit top 5* players. I even believe it was higher than his goal of reaching a #1 ranking in the polls. One day, there will be 5* basketball players at GU. It's absolutely part of my "The Best is yet to com" theory. ONe day the best players in the country will come to GU. My hope is that it's sooner then later. And let's hope its going to happen NOW.

I believe there are a few players out there who are thinking and believing that Gonzaga is close to making it to the final 4 and winning it. I think that there are players somewhere who want to be the ones who make that dream come true.

CDC84
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
GU makes the cut......

Josh Gershon ‏@JoshGershon 44m Malik Pope is down to 9, per Team Superstar coach LeRohn Dodson: Kansas, Arizona, Washington, UCLA, USC, SDSU, Oregon, Gonzaga and Cal.

Malastein
07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Just saw that on twitter. Looks like a number of schools which will be tough to beat out, but these coaches need to start beating them out for some top shelf talent.

BobZag
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
In a perfect world: Pope, Perkins, Sabonis to go with Melson. 2014.

cggonzaga
07-02-2013, 11:19 AM
In a perfect world: Pope, Perkins, Sabonis to go with Melson. 2014.

Should we assume it's a no-go on Travis then? I don't know how you could leave him out in the perfect world scenario unless you already know it's not going to happen.

229SintoZag
07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
GU makes the cut......

Its pretty clear the kid wants to say out west. 6 Pac 10(2) schools, plus SDSU and Kansas.

This should increase our odds at least a little bit. But competing with those schools will be no easy task.

CDC84
07-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Four star players are hardly a reach for Gonzaga.

RSCI Rankings (which combine all the major recruiting services into one average ranking):

Jeremy Pargo = 84
Austin Daye = 35 (25 with rivals.com)
Josh Heytvelt = 74 (50 with scout.com)
David Pendergraft = 88
Gary Bell = 77
Matt Bouldin = 65
Steven Gray = 100 (64 with rivals.com)

Also:

Demetri Goodson = 4 star with ESPN.com
Larry Gurganious = 4 star with scout.com
Robert Sacre = 4 star with rivals.com
Manny Arop = 4 star with rivals.com

Just off the top of my head....

The difference with guys like Malik Pope and Josh Perkins is that they are not only 5 star players, but likely McDonald's AA's and future pros. Austin Daye was a 5 star who turned into a pro. He wasn't a Burger Boy, but would've been had he not been a member of the terrific 2007 class.

Zagnificent
07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
How I look at it: Has Gonzaga failed to utilize top recruits, or provide outcomes for them that are less than ideal? Austin Daye played two mediocre years at GU and was still a lottery pick. Sacre & Olynyk were two little-known Canadians who were developed and turned into draft picks. Gray developed from a 3-point specialist into an all-around performer. Aside from a few notable transfers who failed to earn time working from the bench, most of the guys who buy into the program and commit themselves to being part of the system do great things at GU. I'd be really amazed if a 5* came to GU and wasn't made a centerpiece of the program. Considering what the Zags do consistently with 3* players, I'd love for another 5* to come in and take ownership of the team. Perkins sounds just like that sort of guy. If we land the sort of PG that a PF like Travis or Pope wants to have making passes to them, we just may pull in a few choice weapons in the same year. Frankly, I think Perkins is the key to landing a prospect like Pope.

sittingon50
07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Mediocre?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/austin-daye

And here I thought I had been paying attention.

Oregonzagnut
07-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Gonzaga will never be ranked #1 in the nation. Oh wait-- that happened, too.

Anything is possible! Our ranking last year might have elevated our status enough in the minds of the right recruits.

This! ^^^

The huge regular season AND the media coverage of Olynyks draft has made the nation forget about WSU. For now. Smart people can see the constant improvement in our program and the inevitable results that will happen very soon!

WallaWallaZag
07-03-2013, 01:42 AM
How I look at it: Has Gonzaga failed to utilize top recruits, or provide outcomes for them that are less than ideal? Austin Daye played two mediocre years at GU and was still a lottery pick. Sacre & Olynyk were two little-known Canadians who were developed and turned into draft picks. Gray developed from a 3-point specialist into an all-around performer. Aside from a few notable transfers who failed to earn time working from the bench, most of the guys who buy into the program and commit themselves to being part of the system do great things at GU. I'd be really amazed if a 5* came to GU and wasn't made a centerpiece of the program. Considering what the Zags do consistently with 3* players, I'd love for another 5* to come in and take ownership of the team. Perkins sounds just like that sort of guy. If we land the sort of PG that a PF like Travis or Pope wants to have making passes to them, we just may pull in a few choice weapons in the same year. Frankly, I think Perkins is the key to landing a prospect like Pope.

no offense, but gray was an incredible all-around player in high-school who became a bit of a 3-point specialist his freshman year because, well, he was a freshman with a lot of talented upperclassmen around that dictated his role. also, like someone else mentioned, daye's numbers are hardly "mediocre" for anyone playing on a balanced team like the zags usually are...was he a superstar? no, but hardly "mediocre" by any normal definition.

Chicken Ball
07-03-2013, 06:30 AM
no offense, but gray was an incredible all-around player in high-school who became a bit of a 3-point specialist his freshman year because, well, he was a freshman with a lot of talented upperclassmen around that dictated his role. also, like someone else mentioned, daye's numbers are hardly "mediocre" for anyone playing on a balanced team like the zags usually are...was he a superstar? no, but hardly "mediocre" by any normal definition.
I agree with the substance of your post, except with the bit about Daye not being a superstar. It's true that his offensive numbers were only very good and not at Morrison or Olynyk levels, but he may have been the most effective defensive player at Gonzaga in the Modern Zag Era. He was quick, had incredible length, could block shots with equal facility inside and out. He was a defensive matchup nightmare.

ZAGGED OUT
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
I agree with the substance of your post, except with the bit about Daye not being a superstar. It's true that his offensive numbers were only very good and not at Morrison or Olynyk levels, but he may have been the most effective defensive player at Gonzaga in the Modern Zag Era. He was quick, had incredible length, could block shots with equal facility inside and out. He was a defensive matchup nightmare.

Except for when he got posted up by pretty much anyone, dude was a stick. His post D was mediocre at best and when he was called for fouls it was like watching Lebron and Dwade cry to the refs.

UberZagFan
07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

-Homer Simpson

Vanzagger
07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
when you enter a hostile environment against NBA caliber athletes you better have some length of your own.

I remember Daye toying with a team in Knoxville. In overtime when it counted the most.

build it for March