PDA

View Full Version : Top play of all time?

MTZag03
06-17-2013, 01:08 PM
What is your top Gonzaga basketball play of all time?

Mine was against pepperdine in like 2000-2001 at gu. Dickau had the ball in the corner looking at spink in the post. He started dribbling back to the top and suddenly executed a ridiculous no look behind the back bounce pass to spink. as soon as mark caught it he too did a no look pass. This went straight to a wide open anthony reason about 3 feet from the hoop. Crazy athletic dunk ensues. Crowd goes nuts. Total elapsed time on the play had to be like 3 seconds. Wish I could find video of it. Note that yes memory is unreliable so hopefully I got all the details right from a 12 year old game.

sittingon50
06-17-2013, 01:23 PM
1. Caseys tip-in vs Florida.

2. There was a game in K1 same year. A ball got loose around mid-court & started getting pinballed all over the place. The Zags get an easy score at the end of the action but what was memorable is that during the free-for-all all 5 Zags in the game hit the deck going after the loose ball.

OZZY
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
1. KP's pass to Elias last year for the Alleyoop dunk!

jazzdelmar
06-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Steppe, banker, overtime, Zona/6 NBA guys, gut wrencher, never more proud to be a Zags fan

U Zig, I Zag
06-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Stand alone play (casting aside the wider game implications, the importance of the tourney games, etc):

Matt inbounds to E.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl74GK6zoF0

Angelo Roncalli
06-17-2013, 02:50 PM
For me, it has to be Will Foster blocking Samhan. It make me laugh every time I watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuztT2wpxow

hooter73
06-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Early November throwaway game a few years back. Foster has the ball about three feet from the basket on the baseline, getting swarmed hard by two or three defenders, doesn't know what in the living hell to do with it. So he looks down and smacks some poor kid in the face with the ball, then passes it off. Seeing the confusion on his face in person has stuck with me to this day.

Zagdawg
06-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Gotta be the runner/tip in by Casey.

I still get chills watching/hearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

75Zag
06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Didn't Morrison hit a winning jumper at the buzzer in a Battle of Seattle? I think I was there with my Mom, unless I was not.

Go Bulldogs!

hondo
06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes 75 you were there, we were all there and that is my favorite play also because everyone in the building knew what was going to happen and nobody could stop it.

229SintoZag
06-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have video of, I think it was Anthony Reason's epic, monster dunk on the road against either Pepp or LMU circa 2000 or 2002?

I cannot even be sure it was him, but I am pretty sure it was.

In any event, that is one of my favorites, and certainly worthy of consideration.

hondo
06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Anthony had more than a few monster dunks. The one I recall the best was with about 1 second left before half time at St. Mary's in a tight game
a Zag shot was missed and the ball rebounds 3 feet to the front of the basket. Anthony stretches with his right hand, grabs the ball and with a windmill motion flushes it down as the buzzer goes off to end the half. Brilliant play that I'm sure was a dagger to the Gael heart in that game.

229SintoZag
06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Anthony had more than a few monster dunks. The one I recall the best was with about 1 second left before half time at St. Mary's in a tight game
a Zag shot was missed and the ball rebounds 3 feet to the front of the basket. Anthony stretches with his right hand, grabs the ball and with a windmill motion flushes it down as the buzzer goes off to end the half. Brilliant play that I'm sure was a dagger to the Gael heart in that game.

That is the one I am thinking of. I guess I am just getting foggy on my opponents--I could have sworn it was one of the LA teams.

SunDevilGolfZag
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
2 Calvary plays: The tip in v. Florida and the broken backboard v. New Mexico in the old Boone Street Barn.

Also, Erroll Knight had a dunk in the old Kennel where he took off from about the free throw line extended on the left side and just hammered it home. I can't recall which game it was or the year. Anyone remember the details?

Oregonzagnut
06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
1. Adam Morrison's bank in, three pointer against OK St to win it has to be the loudest basket ever.

2. "The Runner"

3. Any of Pargos' explosive power slam dunks.

4. Meech's end to end bucket to win it against Western Kentucky, and Pangos's end to end to win it against WSU.

DixieZag
06-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Steppe, banker, overtime, Zona/6 NBA guys, gut wrencher, never more proud to be a Zags fan

Leave it to you to pick a game that they lost.

just kidding, totally kidding. I actually agree that that is one of my favorite plays, I swear it is going in each time, I too was never prouder of the team.

I would have to say either the runner or Elias's dunk were probably over that but not much.

MTZag03
06-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Excellent posts by all. I wanted to add another one I just remembered:

1999-2000 season. Home game.

Richie Frahm gets the ball stolen when GU is on offense. The dude sprints down and goes up for a dunk. Frahm hustles like he was Mike Hart and blocks it from behind on the way up for the dunk. Then Frahm gets the rebound, leads a fast break and hits a 3 on the break.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Many great ones here. Seeing as most of the best ones have been mentioned, I'll add a couple:

-Heytvelt's epic swat of Hansbrough at MSG (helped that this game was our biggest win ever besides the S16 v Florida)

-Pargo's coast to coast slam @ SMC in 2007. Refs gave SMC the game, but that was an amazing dunk.

willandi
06-17-2013, 07:56 PM
From the lead in, my first thought was Hamlet (or MacBeth) with Gray and Olynyk. Then I read more and realized it was 'on the court' plays. I had forgotten the Fosterizing of Samhan...agree that is right there at the top. Mine probably would be the Heytfelt Dunk off the opening tip.

hondo
06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Speaking of Josh--how about the McDonald House game where an inbound pass under the Zag basket was a high lob to Josh who soared to get the ball then with one hand flushed it home. Awesome dunk.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Speaking of Josh--how about the McDonald House game where an inbound pass under the Zag basket was a high lob to Josh who soared to get the ball then with one hand flushed it home. Awesome dunk.

I believe that was the preseason NIT against Baylor. Monster slam.

Ekrub
06-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Ira Brown slam I believe in the kennel. Don't remember who it was against.

77Zag
06-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Brody Angley (Bronco Fame) fouling Steven Gray past mid court with no time left, then Steven makes both free throws to send it to OT -- Zags win.

NumberCruncher
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike Hart pressures Dellavadova near midcourt, causing him to reverse direction and get picked clean by Olynyk, who breaks away for the dunk.

MDABE80
06-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Brody Angley (Bronco Fame) fouling Steven Gray past mid court with no time left to, then Steven makes both free throws to send it to OT -- Zags win.

That one terrified me. We had no business winning that game. The poor SC kid Brody just had a lapse which was very rare for him.

MDABE80
06-18-2013, 01:08 PM
There's just SO many huge plays over the past years. I mean serious highlight moves.......and they were ALL highlights and made it to ESPN.
Personally I liked Adam's 3 with 1 second left vs OK St.. He called it you know!
Josh had so many plays with his leaping/basketball talent. To this day, I don't know what might have been. Such a big time kid.
We've had some good ones at GU.

CarolinaZagFan
06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I always loved Pargo's dunk at the Great Alaskan Shootout that was called a charge.

GoZags
06-18-2013, 02:37 PM
'00 Dance. Round of 32 game 10 seed Zags v 2 seed St. John's (82-76 good guys). A turnover ends up in Ryan Floyd's hands and Ryan feeds a perfect bounce pass through traffic to Mark Spink for a spectacular one handed jam. Gus Johnson's call? "WHOA!!! YOUNG FELLA!!!" My favorite Zag play .... As well as the hard nosed Spink not taking ANY guff from the St Johns "tough guys". On a similar note .... Spink's toughness and blocking out/rebounding prowess against Stanford's Madsen and Young the year before (also in the round of 32 in a 10/2 Zag win) is also memorable for me.

Shanachie
06-18-2013, 02:54 PM
One more for the list:

Circa 1993, old Kennel against USF I think, Matt Stanford gets a steal and takes it in for a thunderous two handed reverse jam. Someone (Goss?) steals the inbounds pass and flips it to Stanford, who drills a 3 in the basket that is still swaying from his dunk.

PeninsulaDog
06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
The Reason dunk was at St. Mary's and I think it was 2000 (maybe 2001). I spoke to Anthony after the game at the alumni gathering and told him he just had the greatest dunk that no GU fans would ever see. (There were about 50 GU fans there, which was about average for those days.) It was a simpler time when the coaches actually spoke with alumni after road games, and players were present at the gatherings as well. The look of astonishment on the faces of the St. Mary's fans was priceless, and the gym buzzed for several minutes afterward.

Greatest moment ever was Calvary's '99 tip-in, no contest, but I remember another moment that was really inconsequential, but seemed to me, at the time, to be indicative of a new era in GU basketball: 1993 at the WCC Tournament at USF, Matt Stanford performed a breakaway 180 dunk that was truly awesome. Not content to let the dunk rest on its merits he ran back up the court, sort of sideways, looking that the GU fan section with his arms extended high above him. I had never seen a GU player do anything remotely that athletic to that point (or that cocky) and a new era of exceptionally gifted athletes at GU was indeed underway.

Angelo Roncalli
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Another significant dunk was Matt Santangelo's 180 reverse against UW in Key Arena during the '99-'00 preconference schedule. It was incredibly athletic and stunned the UW crowd.

GoZags
06-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Another significant dunk was Matt Santangelo's 180 reverse against UW in Key Arena during the '99-'00 preconference schedule. It was incredibly athletic and stunned the UW crowd.

The Pontiff (or anyone else for that matter) may need to pick me up on the details of the passer .... but to my recollection the opening tip of the last game played between the Chickens and Gonzaga (played at K2 in late '06) went to Gonzaga and within the beat of an eyelash Matt Bouldin fed the perfect alley oop to Josh Heytvelt for a thunderous jam .... the opening salvo in a 22 point Zag blowout win over UDub.

That was a great game which featured not only a Few technical but Raivio ending the game by taking a knee (rather than hit the century mark).

sittingon50
06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Pretty sure it was Pargo, GZ.

(but I'm old).

tucsonzag
06-19-2013, 05:08 AM
1) 9 3s from Pangos in second-ever college game
2) Morrison OK State BIS
3) Calvary final seconds Florida
4) Calvary final seconds Virginia

Honorable mention - Dench's banked-in 3 VS Pepperdine at home in 2000

GoZags
06-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Pretty sure it was Pargo, GZ.

(but I'm old).

sittingon50 for threeeeeeeeee ....... IT'S GOOD !!! NOTHING BUT TWINE !!!

Complete Play-By-Play
1 | 2 | All

1st Half Summary
TIME WASHINGTON SCORE GONZAGA
19:50 0-2 Josh Heytvelt made Two Point Dunk Shot. Assisted by Jeremy Pargo.