PDA

View Full Version : Hoping Richard Amardi commits...

BobZag
06-17-2013, 09:44 AM
...to Gonzaga after he and his mother visited. It's simple, Zags need a decent big to create a 3-man rotation and Richard seems to fit the mold. If Amardi signs on, it increases chances of Zags advancing to Final 4 or Elite 8 or Sweet 16 as opposed to the Few 32.

:1bestever:

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
...to Gonzaga after he and his mother visited. It's simple, Zags need a decent big to create a 3-man rotation and Richard seems to fit the mold. If Amardi signs on, it increases chances of Zags advancing to Final 4 or Elite 8 or Sweet 16 as opposed to the Few 32.

:1bestever:

I was very impressed with his highlight reel. His offense has come a LONG way since I vaguely remember him.

77Zag
06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Absolute guess, but I'm thinking he's going to commit and we have a new Zag.

Go Zags!

SanDiegoZag
06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Does this release indicate something more significant changing in the realm of college basketball, or basketball in general????

This is a 6'9" kid with pretty decent inside game (or so it seems). Those types of kids certainly do not grow on trees, and are of course in high demand (or you would think they would be). Amardi was released by Iowa State in order for them to sign a 6'2" guard transfer from Marshall.

I only bring this up because Washington State pulled a similar move after a commit had signed his LOI. The Cougs released 6'8" 3/4 Tanner Lancona in order to ink a JC transfer point guard, the third PG being brought in for the Cougs in this recruiting year.

Now I know both Ken Bone and Fred Hoiberg probably envision a bit of a run and gun guard oriented offensive attack... However, it just seems odd that two teams that are not very deep inside would pull last ditch moves (after singing a LOI) that are heavily frowned upon by some.

Are inside games in basketball becoming more and more irrelevant? Based on watching the NBA playoffs, it would seem that this is really ringing true as most offenses rely on jump shots and guards taking it to the rim.

Maybe the Zags (even if they don't get Amardi) are lining up to have the perfect nucleus of talent (mostly guard oriented). I don't know, it just strikes me as really weird that coaches would let go of seemingly talented big men in favor of adding another guard to rosters already stacked full with them.

Anyways, let's hope the Zags can land this guy! In my opinion, the Zags DESPERATELY need a rotation big guy.

Birddog
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
My memory isn't the best anymore, but is this the kid of Giorgio? I seem to remember he was a star on a Euro team that had really cool unis.

Zagdawg
06-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Looking at Iowa State -- it looks like they have qty 4 forwards/centers coming back with 3 additional signed to come in as JC transfers -- so with 7 bigs they decided to pull Amardis offer --now they are down to 6.

The Cougs look like they have 5 coming back and 2 more were signed -- they let 1 go and now have 6 forwards left to go into the year.

Doesn't Kentucky have like 9 guys on their roster still with 8 more coming in? At least we don't need to worry about that problem. :)

That was smart of them to hire the NCAA enforcement official to keep them out of trouble.

hooter73
06-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Does this release indicate something more significant changing in the realm of college basketball, or basketball in general????

This is a 6'9" kid with pretty decent inside game (or so it seems). Those types of kids certainly do not grow on trees, and are of course in high demand (or you would think they would be). Amardi was released by Iowa State in order for them to sign a 6'2" guard transfer from Marshall.

I only bring this up because Washington State pulled a similar move after a commit had signed his LOI. The Cougs released 6'8" 3/4 Tanner Lancona in order to ink a JC transfer point guard, the third PG being brought in for the Cougs in this recruiting year.

Now I know both Ken Bone and Fred Hoiberg probably envision a bit of a run and gun guard oriented offensive attack... However, it just seems odd that two teams that are not very deep inside would pull last ditch moves (after singing a LOI) that are heavily frowned upon by some.

Are inside games in basketball becoming more and more irrelevant? Based on watching the NBA playoffs, it would seem that this is really ringing true as most offenses rely on jump shots and guards taking it to the rim.

Maybe the Zags (even if they don't get Amardi) are lining up to have the perfect nucleus of talent (mostly guard oriented). I don't know, it just strikes me as really weird that coaches would let go of seemingly talented big men in favor of adding another guard to rosters already stacked full with them.

Anyways, let's hope the Zags can land this guy! In my opinion, the Zags DESPERATELY need a rotation big guy.

Frowned upon is putting it nicely. that is a pure and utter BS move of a school to do to a kid that they wanted enough to recruit and offer a scholarship to.

Athletic bigs are the way of the eastcoast basketball. shooting bigs are NBA, playing traditional big bodied centers is old school... and it still works. but I think we saw how effective a new style of game from a 7 footer that moves and shoots can be from KO last year.

cggonzaga
06-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Richard looks like more than just a warm body but we'll see once he faces D1 competition. Gotta like his athleticism and jumper out to 18ft. Hope we get him because I don't think there is anybody out there we could get that would be any better.

OZZY
06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
His mother is coming, got to think a school like GU with its smaller family-like atmosphere will appeal to a mum.

C'mon Richard keep up the tradition of Canadians at GU, we have had at least two on the roster for the last 5-6 years.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-17-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
His mother is coming, got to think a school like GU with its smaller family-like atmosphere will appeal to a mum.

C'mon Richard keep up the tradition of Canadians at GU, we have had at least two on the roster for the last 5-6 years.

I thought the visit already occurred, no? If so, a commitment should happen soon if it's gonna happen.

zagssuperfan
06-17-2013, 06:10 PM
According to a tweet by Noah Dee, from Addicted to Quack, "JUCO PF Richard Amardi is visiting #Oregon over the next 2 days."

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
According to a tweet by Noah Dee, from Addicted to Quack, "JUCO PF Richard Amardi is visiting #Oregon over the next 2 days."

Well, they already got Moser; that should be a big plus for us.

willandi
06-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Are they Quack Heads? Thought they were into Cannabis!

Oregonzagnut
06-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Maybe the Zags (even if they don't get Amardi) are lining up to have the perfect nucleus of talent (mostly guard oriented).

Inside games are not irrelevant, even if it may be irrelevant next year or for some teams. You have to have both an inside and outside game to really dominate. But as far as Gonzaga is concerned, we have had huge success with guard/perimeter dominated teams, and i am not in any way worried about our inside game when we have juniors Pangos and Bell leading the program.

Pangos and Bell are the elite foundation next year. IMO, everyone else, including Mark Few is a wild card and will work with and around these two as the 1st team nucleus.

cggonzaga
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Hate to be negative but we clearly didn't blow him away. Whatever happened to prospects visiting and committing on the spot? Hopefully he hates Oregon.

realtydog
06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Hate to be negative but we clearly didn't blow him away. Whatever happened to prospects visiting and committing on the spot? Hopefully he hates Oregon.

Angel nunez ..gerrard c. To name a few recent ones

ZagaZags
06-17-2013, 11:30 PM

The player does not blow Gonzaga away. We always assume it is the fault of the Gonzaga if a player does not commit.

cggonzaga
06-18-2013, 06:10 AM
The player does not blow Gonzaga away. We always assume it is the fault of the Gonzaga if a player does not commit.

this doesn't make sense to me. Why have him visit?

DixieZag
06-18-2013, 06:11 AM

Or he is just doing this the right way. Checking every place and then making a reasoned decision.

I know that I was so impulsive and impressionable at that age that I would likely have signed on the spot at the very first place I visited. But, it is probably very seldom, if ever, that signing first is a good idea. It is always a big decision and should be made after looking at everything.

Not that I don't want them to sign on the spot.

cjm720
06-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Doesn't he visit AFTER Oregon?

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 07:52 AM
I believe he already visited a few days ago. At least I was under that assumption.

KStyles
06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
this doesn't make sense to me. Why have him visit?

I know its been mentioned quite often that off-court chemistry with the team is important, and its tough to judge that without a visit (even if only 1/2 the team is currently on campus).

cggonzaga
06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
I believe he already visited a few days ago. At least I was under that assumption.

That's the way I read BZ's original post as well. My worries are because the Oregon trip was not planned until after the Gonzaga visit.

KStyles, that makes sense.

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I remember reading twitter on TSSF that he would visit ASU/Oregon/GU but nobody knew the exact order of those visits. Well we know now it went ASU/GU/Ducks.

The bottom line is we have minutes for him and the immediate need for his services. Will see what's important and appealing to him. In my mind it's a great fit. Smaller campus, less distraction, one year left to make an impact and focus on basketball on a top 25 team.

cggonzaga
06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I remember reading twitter on TSSF that he would visit ASU/Oregon/GU but nobody knew the exact order of those visits. Well we know now it went ASU/GU/Ducks.

Happily I'm being proved wrong all over this thread. Agreed, I just want a commitment from Mr. Amardi.

SanDiegoZag
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM

The bottom line is we have minutes for him and the immediate need for his services. Will see what's important and appealing to him. In my mind it's a great fit. Smaller campus, less distraction, one year left to make an impact and focus on basketball on a top 25 team.

Based on the little bit we know, I would honestly be surprised if he didn't choose Gonzaga.

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Goodman tweet:
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 7m

Oregon landed commitment from ex-Iowa St. signee Richard Amardi, source told ESPN. 6-8 forward played at Indian Hills. Has one year to play.

Pargo the Destroyer
06-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Goodman tweet:

Lol. Life's rich pageantry.

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Kind of hard to have optimism. We seemed to be the perfect scenario. What is it, the coaching staff? Glam and Glitter? Attitude..Its hard for me to believe we have whiffed on every possible option thus far. Its not like we have the luxury to do so, something is not clicking.

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Oregon will get:
Small
Melson
Reid
Perkins
Pope
Sabonis

Just to dig the knife a lil deeper.

MDABE80
06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Well.....this is very disconcerting.....I do hope our Montana kid is ready. Looks like we're going to need him. We have a lot beef but .......well....we'll see.

BobZag
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Nike flatout owns Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Goodman tweet:

After they already got Moser? NIKE U BE PAYIN' DOLLA BILLS YO! $$$$$$$$$$

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Oregon is whooping are ass. Since the loss to Wichita St we have really had no good news. I hope we can compete for local products and guys like Small who just received an Oregon commitment.

ZagaZags
06-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Will be a 1 year player and we will have that scholarship for 2014.

ZagaZags
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I missed the fact Amardi is going to Oregon.