PDA

View Full Version : Ideal conference

Malastein
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
What's everybody's dream conference situation? I assume some are alright being king of the mediocre WCC year after year, but I would like to know what people think about what ideal conference Gonzaga would prosper in? Mountain West for basketball? What about joining together with a handful of schools to be a west division of a super conference with the new Big East? Or joining the Pac 12?

TheGonzagaFactor
06-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Mountain West. Good conference on the rise. No terrible teams.

cjm720
06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Other than geography, the new Big East. No other conference comes close to what GU's about (more than basketball) IMO.

bartruff1
06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
WCC would be perfect if they got rid of BYU and with the addition of Seattle University... I love the WCC for all the sports and that is where we are staying.

LongIslandZagFan
06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Other than geography, the new Big East. No other conference comes close to what GU's about (more than basketball) IMO.

This.

webspinnre
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
There is no dream conference that currently exists, sadly. The Big East comes closest, but still has issues. If the Big East would take us as basketball only (men's and women's), and the WCC would let us stay for the other sports, that'd probably be my dream scenario.

hooter73
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
ours is perfect if the other teams/schools would step up the level of commitment to their sports programs and the teams themselves would stop scheduling the majority of their games against highschoolers.

gamagin
06-12-2013, 01:18 PM
For some reason, I thought of it immediately. there's humor to be had in futility, I guess is the take away. At any rate, here's my .$02 on this topic. Feel free to pick sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OzIMHowtL8

maynard g krebs
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
It seems like geography makes the Mnt West the only viable option for an upgrade. Even though it's a football conference, the addition of GU would would give it far more national exposure in bb, and put it solidly in the class of most bcs conferences. Seems like it would be worth it for them, as they are practically 1AA in fb anyway since Utah and BYU left, and bb is where they can compete with the big boys.

Trying to go basketball only in the east, where do you put the nonrevenue sports? WCC wouldn't let them stay, nor should they.

sittingon50
06-12-2013, 01:23 PM
in a week, after the next 6 Conference realignments!

Vanzagger
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
WCC

Just get Pep and Mary new gyms

DixieZag
06-12-2013, 02:49 PM
The western division of the Big East (though the name might need some thought).

I coulda swore we had a couple comments a while ago going back and forth on this question, maybe wrong there. In the Foo, I proposed "The Frontier Conference" for all us schools too far away from anyone else to get interest. You know, Hawaii, Alaska Fairbanks, Lake Superior State, Puerto Rico, University of Alberta, a med school. . .

BTB
06-12-2013, 03:14 PM
WCC

Just get Pep and Mary new gyms

I hate being in the WCC but at the same time I think it is the best conference for us. And I also think it is trending upward (last year was a down year)

TheGonzagaFactor
06-12-2013, 04:22 PM
WCC would be perfect if they got rid of BYU and with the addition of Seattle University... I love the WCC for all the sports and that is where we are staying.

Yeah, get rid of the best program besides us and add an in-state team from a huge market that would KILL our Seattle pipeline. Come on....

realtydog
06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah, get rid of the best program besides us and add an in-state team from a huge market that would KILL our Seattle pipeline. Come on....

Seattle U and their #300 RPI (yes it was 300) can stay out....terrible idea.....and Byu is one of only 2 selling points next year....st marys is heading back down the scale

Oregonzagnut
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Change is inevitable, so at least make sure the changes are improvements. I think the choices are minimal (maybe zero) without football. I accept the WCC for what it is, a basketball conference, and it's quite a solid basketball conference at that. Anyway, the Big East has ever officially mentioned us, asked or invited us. To my knowledge Gonzaga has never actively sought to join.

Maybe just ask the Big East if we can join. I wonder if any other Jesuit schools have offered to switch conferences and join.

bartruff1
06-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Seattle U and their #300 RPI (yes it was 300) can stay out....terrible idea.....and Byu is one of only 2 selling points next year....st marys is heading back down the scale

I don't care about RPI...and BYU has nothing in common with the other schools in the Conference and will leave as soon as they can.

Hey, it is my Ideal Conference, if you don't like it...tough titty.

DixieZag
06-12-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't care about RPI...and BYU has nothing in common with the other schools in the Conference and will leave as soon as they can.

Hey, it is my Ideal Conference, if you don't like it...tough titty.

People just disagreeing with a valid point - don't like the idea, not you bringing it up. If Seattle U was serious about BB and improved to the point that they were good BB addition, I think it would be good. Until they have proven that they can stay around 100 RPI, I think it is bad.

Simply getting rid of BYU (whether they get out as soon as possible or not) seems to just add to the problems that justify most people wanting to leave. If SU were put in now, I suspect people would be howling to get out, including some in the McCarthy center.

bartruff1
06-13-2013, 04:23 AM
Well of course it is ok to disagree...that is a given in a forum..." tough titty " is just my way of saying, " I see your point(s) but my Ideal Conference includes Seattle University and not BYU....now tell me something I do not know...I do not care about RPI... I care that all 16 sports are able to compete in the WCC...it is my Ideal Conference.

cjm720
06-13-2013, 06:57 AM
ours is perfect if the other teams/schools would step up the level of commitment to their sports programs and the teams themselves would stop scheduling the majority of their games against highschoolers.

The problem with this argument (that so many make) is that you're half-expecting those programs to become a Gonzaga.

Our program didn't magically appear over night, it was through years of hard work, dedication, and a lot of luck to put the athletic program into a position of being able to dream big and go after higher rated recruits than the conference is accustomed, as well as having the fan base (and deep pockets thanks to the guy from Utah that I can't recall his name) to support a new arena.

A first step for some of our conference foes would be to take on our motto of playing anyone, anywhere...but that more often than not backfires for teams.

To me, the Gonzga story is the biggest basketball program story in the last 20 years and it will be hard to replicate.

hooter73
06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
I definitely dont want the other teams to be gonzaga. I want them to have an identity of their own. every single team had the opportunity to establish themselves as something, but each and every one of them slid back to apathy and obscurity.

Santa Clara with John Bryant didnt capitalize, St. Marys with Patty, Samham and Delly didnt capitalize. Portland, USF... each one has had a chance to capitalize on success, grow, and become relevant, but they each missed their opportunities and now they are barely footnotes. And those are just basketball examples. The schools as a whole have plenty of other ways to become forefront in the public's eyes, but they dont. BYU and GU are known for their quality education and religious foundations, shoot you ask someone about EWU and they'll tell you about the high level music and teaching programs. I'll stop before I ramble anymore. Maybe I just have high standards and expectations, but it elevates to Bon Vivant.

cjm720
06-13-2013, 08:13 AM
I definitely dont want the other teams to be gonzaga. I want them to have an identity of their own. every single team had the opportunity to establish themselves as something, but each and every one of them slid back to apathy and obscurity.

Santa Clara with John Bryant didnt capitalize, St. Marys with Patty, Samham and Delly didnt capitalize. Portland, USF... each one has had a chance to capitalize on success, grow, and become relevant, but they each missed their opportunities and now they are barely footnotes.

That's the point...it's very hard to do what we've done. We are the anamoly and we've outgrown our conference for basketball, but there's not a better fit right now IMO.

mgadfly
06-13-2013, 08:36 AM
If we can create a conference ... GU ... Duke ... North Carolina ...

Just kidding. But if I was somewhat more practical I'd want it limited to the west coast and I'd want the conference to compete with the Pac 12 in hoops every year. A super conference (for basketball purposes without consideration of any other factor or interests):

The Super West Conference

Northwest Division:
Gonzaga
Montana (travel partners with GU)
Boise State
BYU (travel partners with BSU)

Rocky Mountain Division:
Colorado State
Wyoming (travel partners with CSU)
Denver
Air Force (t.p. = Denver)

California Division:
San Diego State
Long Beach State (t.p. = SDSU)
San Francisco
Pepperdine (t.p. = USF)

Tumbleweed Division:
New Mexico
New Mexico State
UNLV
Nevada

Play your own division twice each season = 6 games.
Play each of the other teams once = 12 games

And it would be a rule that GU played UNLV or SDSU in Seattle every other year so I could be there in person.

Malastein
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
If we can create a conference ... GU ... Duke ... North Carolina ...

Just kidding. But if I was somewhat more practical I'd want it limited to the west coast and I'd want the conference to compete with the Pac 12 in hoops every year. A super conference (for basketball purposes without consideration of any other factor or interests):

The Super West Conference

Northwest Division:
Gonzaga
Montana (travel partners with GU)
Boise State
BYU (travel partners with BSU)

Rocky Mountain Division:
Colorado State
Wyoming (travel partners with CSU)
Denver
Air Force (t.p. = Denver)

California Division:
San Diego State
Long Beach State (t.p. = SDSU)
San Francisco
Pepperdine (t.p. = USF)

Tumbleweed Division:
New Mexico
New Mexico State
UNLV
Nevada

Play your own division twice each season = 6 games.
Play each of the other teams once = 12 games

And it would be a rule that GU played UNLV or SDSU in Seattle every other year so I could be there in person.

Awesome! Enough schools featured in television markets where this conference would be able to land a solid TV deal. Only a few teams which are weaker, and a lot of the best teams outside of the major conferences. I think I would drop New Mexico, Pepperdine, Denver, and Montana though.

NotoriousZ
06-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Joining the Mountain West seems like a step down. I know they've got better teams as a whole, but they don't have an ESPN deal, do they? I guess they might try to get a better TV deal if we joined, but we're better off in the WCC as it stands now.

I liked the Big East superconference idea, with an Eastern Division and a Western Division made up of the best teams from the WCC and the Mountain West. But that's just a pipe dream.

It might be time to get back into football (another pipe dream) so we can join the Pac 12 and stick it to Romar every year once again. I miss the annual beat down.

TravelinZag
06-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Great start -- 12 of 16 teams with top 100 RPI ratings last season! But seriously, you
take Pepperdine (RPI 203) and San Francisco (166) rather than SMC (30), Santa Clara (97) or the improving Pacific (103)? Understand Nevada (171), but Fresno (129) might be a better choice. Of course, SMC would be required to upgrade their arena.

Nevada Don
06-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Santa Clara with John Bryant didnt capitalize, St. Marys with Patty, Samham and Delly didnt capitalize. Portland, USF... each one has had a chance to capitalize on success, grow, and become relevant, but they each missed their opportunities and now they are barely footnotes. And those are just basketball examples. The schools as a whole have plenty of other ways to become forefront in the public's eyes, but they dont. BYU and GU are known for their quality education and religious foundations, shoot you ask someone about EWU and they'll tell you about the high level music and teaching programs. I'll stop before I ramble anymore. Maybe I just have high standards and expectations, but it elevates to Bon Vivant.

1) "but each and every one of them slid back to apathy and obscurity". What are you talking about? I really don't think Saint Mary's would be in the category that you are trying to create. You might want to wait and make your statements after the Zags play the Gaels next season. At this point, I don't think it's a slam dunk that the Zags will totally run over the Gaels. I guess you do.

2) "The schools as a whole have plenty of other ways to become forefront in the public's eyes, but they dont". This is another totally nonsensical statement.

3) "BYU and Gonzaga are known for their education and religious foundations". I assume you are just using these two as examples and not disrespecting the other WCC schools.

Basically, your entire post is without merit IMO.

bigblahla
06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Independent with the aid of ESPN.

Scheduling would be hard at first but with the support of ESPN it could work.

Keep other sports in the WCC. Play games against the WCC each season 4 away one at home, rotating teams with the exception of the Gaels keep them on the schedule alternating home and away each year. Total 6 games a year. Home games for WCC teams help their coffers and GU helps their rpi.

Surrender NCAA monies already earned to the WCC to keep olympic sports in the conference.

Can make the Dance as an independent and recruiting could actually be better as the schedule could more closely resemble the OOC portion of our season.

Again, If ESPN got on board and televised every GU game it could work.

More of a pipe dream than an opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

mgadfly
06-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Great start -- 12 of 16 teams with top 100 RPI ratings last season! But seriously, you
take Pepperdine (RPI 203) and San Francisco (166) rather than SMC (30), Santa Clara (97) or the improving Pacific (103)? Understand Nevada (171), but Fresno (129) might be a better choice. Of course, SMC would be required to upgrade their arena.

I like Pepperdine because (a) I used to go to their basketball camp when I was a kid, (b) L.A. television/recruits, (c) already building a new facility.

I like San Francisco because I think long term it has more upside than SMC because of SMC's sanctions and gym.

I like Nevada because they (a) make a great in-state rival for UNLV, and (b) they have been better than Fresno for most of the past decade.

We could add 8 more teams and make two 12 team conferences with season by season relegation.

DixieZag
06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Just a few points.

One - I like what was said about waiting two years and see what changes (and that is likely) to see if a more natural fit evolves.

Two - Seems like SMC has earned the right to not be tossed aside until they actually throw themselves aside, which I don't think will happen with Bennett.

Three - I don't see the guys at Jesuit house approving a decision to join a bunch of state schools with football even if the McCarthy guys love it. Obviously I could be wrong, kinda hope that I am.

Four - If we expanded to a super conference it would have to be an incredible tv deal to get more money because it would spread so broadly and would nearly guarantee less national tv time for the same reason.

My favorite is still "West Division of Catholic/Non-Football schools - - but that may be less likely than many of the other good ideas here.

GUZag08
06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Well of course it is ok to disagree...that is a given in a forum..." tough titty " is just my way of saying, " I see your point(s) but my Ideal Conference includes Seattle University and not BYU....now tell me something I do not know...I do not care about RPI... I care that all 16 sports are able to compete in the WCC...it is my Ideal Conference.

Oh jeez that would be a boring conference

2oh9guy
06-25-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm intrigued by a "western division" of the new Big East conference.

One thing I believe the BE forgot when they stopped at 10 teams, and something some of the ideal conference suggestions don't include:

You need teams to beat. There's a finite number of conference wins available, and an equal number of losses guaranteed to be put on your membership.

If you take 10 Top 100 RPI teams and put them in the same conference. SOMEONE is going 3-15 in league play. You're taking a post-season calibre program and turning them into a cellar-dweller (like DePaul for example).

The key is finding teams that the top half of the league can defeat, but win OOC games to help your RPI.

East: NOVA, HALL, PROV, SJU, GTOWN, XAV, DAY, BUTL
West: MARQ, DEP, SLU, CREI, GONZ, BYU, SMC, PAC

That's a league where you have 2-4 Top 40 teams in each division, 2-3 NIT calibre teams in each division, and your 7th and 8th place teams (like DAY, HALL, DEP, PAC) can hold their own OOC, go 3-15 in conference "only" be 12-18 instead of 5-25 RPI killers.

(Obviously, I'm a Pacific guy; UOP does have a bigger facility than SCU/USF and makes for a good travel partner with SMC).