PDA

View Full Version : Desperate measures for desperate times?

TravelinZag
06-12-2013, 07:24 AM
We need bigs very, very badly. Players at schools banned from post-season play can transfer and play immediately, and six schools have received those bans. Granted, its unlikely, since all are southern schools, but is there a big or two worth chasing hard, NOW?

GoZags
06-12-2013, 07:39 AM
We need bigs very, very badly. Players at schools banned from post-season play can transfer and play immediately, and six schools have received those bans. Granted, its unlikely, since all are southern schools, but is there a big or two worth chasing hard, NOW?

Zags will be fine if they start the season with their current roster (which they won't ... there will be an addition or two).

I guess I just have a different definition of "desperate".

cjm720
06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
I highly doubt coach is sitting on his butt doing nothing.

hondo
06-12-2013, 08:19 AM
GU is not paying us to worry. They are paying people very well to worry and take care of business. We are just not included in the payroll. So I would strongly advise: http://youtu.be/yv-Fk1PwVeU

CDC84
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
FWIW = Gonzaga's current roster is still considered to be a top 20 preseason team with the Sporting News. That's if they don't even add a single player. They will add a big man at some point.

BobZag
06-12-2013, 09:05 AM
It was the best of times; it was the worst of times...

I just thought up that this morning. I should start a book with it.

Oregonzagnut
06-12-2013, 09:12 AM
We are far from desperate. IMO, if we had to start the season right now, I think we would have one of the top 5 backcourts in the country at all three guard positions. I agree with CDC that we will have a top 20 team if we stay as we are. If Karno backs up Dower at center and Edwards can hold his own, they can all help each other stay out of foul trouble. We will still have a potent inside outside game run by Pangos and Bell. We can dominate the perimeter and still have a decent front court presence when we need to.

For sure another big PF would be gravy, but at this point, we have a backcourt that will win games and they will be able to easily compensate for the lack of a PF.

titopoet
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
It was the best of times; it was the worst of times...

I just thought up that this morning. I should start a book with it.

Oh Bob, you little Dickens, Charles Dickens that is.

Have you considered ending your book with:
It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

might be the best ending.

Birddog
06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
On the lighter side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

hooter73
06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
It all hinges on Dower. If he stays on par as he has, the yeah, we needed a lift that didnt choose us. Karno will be even better, but hes a true 5. If Dower paid attention to KOs transformation and utility at playing away form the basket, or at least at the pick and rolls, then he can be a good 4. But if he only wants to toss in spot up jumpers with still very little back to the basket game, then yes, we need some help. At this point I'll be surprised to see Edwards redshirt. I see him backing up PK and Dower the lone 4. Subs will make it small ball from there.

MDABE80
06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
My own opinion? Worst forecourt in 15 years. Somehow we'll win 20 plus games. Very underwhelming at the 4 and 5. Sam would have to change SO much and PK is huge but still learning the D1 game. Don't mean to be a downer but it's all on the guards 1-3 this year. Hope they become sharpshooters. One 6 ft 9 in athlete cold change verything. I don't see one on the horizon. Something will turn up if Few has his way. Beating the bushes only can do so much....of course I'm spoiled by the last season;)

jazzdelmar
06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
My own opinion? Worst forecourt in 15 years. Somehow we'll win 20 plus games. Very underwhelming at the 4 and 5. Sam would have to change SO much and PK is huge but still learning the D1 game. Don't mean to be a downer but it's all on the guards 1-3 this year. Hope they become sharpshooters. One 6 ft 9 in athlete cold change verything. I don't see one on the horizon. Something will turn up if Few has his way. Beating the bushes only can do so much....of course I'm spoiled by the last season;)

Soiled? Spoiled? Both?

ZagsZombieNation
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I am confident that Dower will get 25-30 minutes and score 10-12 points next season. Karnowski should be able to play 20-25 minutes as well. Until Nunez is available Barham might have to play some backup 4, but that will open up more minutes for Dranginis at the 3. I am not too worried, Gonzaga will consistently be in the top 25 next year.

cjm720
06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Abe brought up a good point about being spoiled with this last year. All-American, First Team, in KO, and a studly E. Harris. Both gone. Best duo in America last year. No matter what we'll take a step back...we'll still be very good though.

ZagaZags
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Abe brought up a good point about being spoiled with this last year. All-American, First Team, in KO, and a studly E. Harris. Both gone. Best duo in America last year. No matter what we'll take a step back...we'll still be very good though.

The year we lost Adam and JP. That was a huge loss.

cjm720
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
The year we lost Adam and JP. That was a huge loss.

Sure was...good thing we had Bouldin coming in, Heyfelt/Raivio/Pargo on the roster...probably forgetting some. I believe that was the year we beat #2 North Carolina but absolutely got demolished by Duke at MSG (was there) which then turned into a 3-4 game skid against tough opponents. 20+ wins. Other than that skid, it was a blast of a season.

TravelinZag
06-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Agree with you & Abe. Reserves will step it up and transfers will help, but they won't replace the skills, production and leadership lost with KO, EH, Mike Hart and Giacoletti. Frantic efforts didn't produce one-year band-aids, but at least we lost out to programs with a better history/standing than ours. Oh, that's right, SDSU & Oregon aren't in that group. Well, only 1/4 of the "critical" 2014 class rated players have committed. We don't have any commitments, but we're losing to better quality programs: Duke, UCLA? One so-so year won't kill the program, but 2, 3 or 4? Were #1 ranks & seeds a way-station or a high-water mark? Still hoping!

BobZag
06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Oh Bob, you little Dickens, Charles Dickens that is.

Have you considered ending your book with:
It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

might be the best ending.

Or--

"On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan."

SunDevilGolfZag
06-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Dower and Karno -- I'll take that as my frontcourt nucleus all day long.

ZagaZags
06-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Dower and Karno -- I'll take that as my frontcourt nucleus all day long.

Are great until they get in foul trouble. Then what?