PDA

View Full Version : Need to move on from Perkins

810Suited
06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
UCLA lock even after this visit

Feels like Wiltjers recruitment way too much excitement about a kid that was never coming after the big boys came calling for him

The WCC kills us, wish they could go Mountain West bball only

cjm720
06-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Perkins just visited and seemed very excited. I don't get the pessimism. Certainly the WCC doesn't help, but we offer a lot more than a lot of schools. The lore of UCLA and his familiarity with Alford will certainly be an obstacle.

Wiltjer wasn't even in our top five...never got that hype.

bartruff1
06-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Gonzaga is in the WCC and in Spokane...that isn't going to change... I would bet the farm (hobby) that Perkins will go to UCLA.

810Suited
06-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Perkins just visited and seemed very excited. I don't get the pessimism. Certainly the WCC doesn't help, but we offer a lot more than a lot of schools. The lore of UCLA and his familiarity with Alford will certainly be an obstacle.

Wiltjer wasn't even in our top five...never got that hype.

What Wiltjer recruitment did you follow?

I asked my source if the Zags had a punchers chance after this visit. Was told Perkins top five was UCLA, UCLA, UCLA, UCLA, UCLA

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Feels like Wiltjers recruitment way too much excitement about a kid that was never coming after the big boys came calling for him

Cool story bro. Got tonight's powerball #'s?

SanDiegoZag
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM

I asked my source if the Zags had a punchers chance after this visit. Was told Perkins top five was UCLA, UCLA, UCLA, UCLA, UCLA

So, why hasn't he committed to the Bruins yet????

DixieZag
06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
So, why hasn't he committed to the Bruins yet????

Exactly.

What is most frustrating about these stories is that he might very well choose UCLA and some will say "see, I told you so, it was a lock, should have moved on". But, it could have been a decision made the night before and with tons of agony and GU could have been right there.

One SURE way to not get him is to "move on" - of course, I say that with respect to the staff, not the board since we have no role in anything besides being fans, thank God.

Oregonzagnut
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Even if they have their minds made up, the kids should still know their options. If he has people around him who really care for his well being, he will visit every school he can to compare. If UCLA stays on the top of his list after he makes other visits, then he should go there.

cjm720
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM

I followed it very closely. And in the end we werent in his top 5. He didn't officially visit. The guboards got their panties all bunched over this kid and still do....don't get it.

I see us as having a much better chance with Perkins until the end.

LongIslandZagFan
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Wiltjer never set foot in Spokane, let alone GU, Perkins officially visited. Fundamental difference. Not saying we get him,but getting an official out of a top prospect gets you in the game. If we were out completely from day 1... He would not have bothered.

MDABE80
06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Lots of high end guards at UCLA. I'd say Few puts this kid as a passer and shooter. we have 4 guards that are very very good. Let the best kid play.
We have more TV than even UCLA...UCLA is a difficult spot for kid to navigate. It's much easier here. His Dad thinks GU's a very good place for his son. Smaller, more intimate and gets focused attention. His Dad sounds like our kind of guy. We'll see. I hope this kid is our kind of guy too.

The Witjer comparison simply fails by weight of the facts. He never came.....he voted with his feet. That said a lot....maybe the most. As it turned out, he really didn't even want to come here..just wasn't in the cards.. SOme kid mentions our name .truly or false as to offers.....or some rating service professes that GU made an offer without checking and we blow up on the board when most of it is fantasy. I just hope we see more of young Perkins:)

Zagcity
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind his father's comments about program's stability means a lot or why even bring it up.:)

cjm720
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Keep in mind his father's comments about program's stability means a lot or why even bring it up.:)

That to me is key and unfortunately I think they'll see Alford at New Mexico and now at UCLA as stability with an upgrade (UCLA over NM).

That said, this race isn't over.

810Suited
06-11-2013, 05:56 PM
To clarify the Wiltjer recruitment I'm talking from a fans perspective. A ton of hope was put into him coming here and wasn't going to happen. People were hype about him.

Just bringing info to the board. No saying the staff needa to give up, more for fans hope.

Fwiw dude is super plugged into the U CLA program was adamant that tony Parker was goin to UCLA over a year befoee his commitment. "Floored" was the word used when asked would be be surprised if Perkins picked anyone but UCLA

ZagNative
06-11-2013, 06:08 PM
810Suited, your post leaves me irritated and wanting to put a scab on the end of your nose.

Your secret source" leaves me unimpressed.

If you don't like what people are talking about here, by all means get off your backside and find something worthwhile to discuss, instead of starting this piece of sh!t thread to beat the same old topic to death.

willandi
06-11-2013, 06:19 PM
810Suited, your post leaves me irritated and wanting to put a scab on the end of your nose.

If you don't like what people are talking about here, by all means get off your backside and find something worthwhile to discuss, instead of starting this piece of sh!t thread to beat the same old topic to death.

or give us your source so WE can decide whether or not to be impressed!

MDABE80
06-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I suspect it's cheap board talk. Likely there is no source. We might not get Perkins but it won't be laziness that loses him.

I'd say stability is OURS.not UCLA who has a first year coach with a history of travelin shoes depends on what suits him. Logic presented simply doesn't add up and square with the facts.

Oregonzagnut
06-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Perkins wouldn't be the first person to choose Gonzaga over UCLA.

Pargo the Destroyer
06-11-2013, 09:39 PM

What a terrible post.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Agreed. We have done well with what we have, but if we were in a decent conference (MWC) Perkins probably would already be signed. He and other recruits obviously know the WCC isn't going to bring out the best in them. Perkins seems like a great person and player and I'm glad we have a chance at him, but just imagine if we were in the MWC :drool:

I don't think we need to "give up" on him, but as usual, our excitement will probably be all-for-not and all these threads with 100s of comments will be a huge waste. I'm glad I didn't fall for it this time.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-11-2013, 10:10 PM

You know what I haven't had in a long time? Big League Chew.

mnzag24
06-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Fwiw dude is super plugged into the U CLA program was adamant that tony Parker was goin to UCLA over a year befoee his commitment. "Floored" was the word used when asked would be be surprised if Perkins picked anyone but UCLA

This is like asking a trainer who has a horse in the Kentucky Derby who is going to win said Derby, putting all your money on that horse as a lock, and then that guy telling you he was shocked that his pony didn't win. While it may be true in the end, this source does not do much for me.

ZagLawGrad
06-12-2013, 06:17 AM
There's a Black Hawk Heli hovering outside my office window this morning.

810Suited
06-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Good or bad I bring what I can. Might not always be great, but I assure you that I'm not just stirring sht up.

You might not like it but it is what it is

810Suited
06-12-2013, 07:04 AM
This is like asking a trainer who has a horse in the Kentucky Derby who is going to win said Derby, putting all your money on that horse as a lock, and then that guy telling you he was shocked that his pony didn't win. While it may be true in the end, this source does not do much for me.

Dude hasn't missed once on a single player in the last two years for UCLA and had ADV to OSU before the kid has even visited

Obviously not just a random source works in the industry

Now I hope he's wrong and Perkins is a Zag but I trust said person

810Suited
06-12-2013, 07:13 AM

This post has me rolling.

A post makes you want punch someone in the face, that's laughable.

And the last part of your post? Could you be more hypocritical? Got a good chuckle outta me that's for sure

BroncoZAG615
06-12-2013, 07:32 AM
I definitely don't think fans should 'move on' from Perkins at this point but 810's post isn't without merit: UCLA is a major player for his signature. That said, there are a couple of very intriguing things I am looking for in regards to Perkins and UCLA that I think could sway in Gonzaga's favor:

1) Alford re-establishing ties with California club teams and recruiting. It is well noted that Howland had a very poor relationship with a number of the big names in California prep hoops and that was a big key in his demise. At this point, UCLA is in on two very talented PG prospects, one being Jordan McLaughlin and the other being Perkins. McLaughlin is the star in-state kid and, while he has gotten less press than Perkins, many think he is a very very solid prospect and will likely wind up in the Pac-12. I don't think Alford would necessarily take Jordan simply because he is an in-state guy but I have to think building bridges with coaches around the state is a key for him to be successful.

2) The Perkins' clan desire to play for a stable and tenured coach. To me, this has always been a huge key during Josh's recruitment. Randy, Josh's father, was hung out to dry by a coach that left when he went to college to play basketball and it sounds like that is the last thing he wants for his son. Gonzaga has a big edge here, I believe, as Alford will not have much time to show he can right the ship. Talking with other UCLA fans, many of them seem to already have him and the AD already on the chopping block.

At the end of the day, I think this is far from an open and shut case. Are things much trickier now than they were a few months ago when Alford was at New Mexico? Sure they are, but Few has really gone 'all in' on this kid and I don't think we should underestimate that. He's been there in person since very early on in Josh's high school career and I'm sure he will continue to follow him around when the evaluation period opens up again.

It should be a fun and nerve-wracking few months as the staff not only tries to lock up Perkins, but also secure other big-time prospects (Reid Travis, for instance).

cjm720
06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
At the end of the day, I think this is far from an open and shut case. Are things much trickier now than they were a few months ago when Alford was at New Mexico? Sure they are, but Few has really gone 'all in' on this kid and I don't think we should underestimate that. He's been there in person since very early on in Josh's high school career and I'm sure he will continue to follow him around when the evaluation period opens up again.

It should be a fun and nerve-wracking few months as the staff not only tries to lock up Perkins, but also secure other big-time prospects (Reid Travis, for instance).

+1

Zippyzaggy
06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
"Josh Perkins ‏@JoshPerkins03 11 Jun
It's been real! Had a amazing time with the zag community! Thanks for everything!"

In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.

Maybe I'm dyslexic, but I take from this tweet that he is saying goodbye before he even says hello.

Argue with me all you want but we'll see I'm right soon enough. Next.

LongIslandZagFan
06-12-2013, 09:59 AM
It's been real! Had a amazing time with the zag community! Thanks for everything!"

Maybe I'm dyslexic, but I take from this tweet that he is saying goodbye before he even says hello.

Or.. You are reading in exactly what you want to hear.

JPtheBeasta
06-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quite the eisegesis, there. It's also not a stretch, however, considering that most major prospects listed around here never end up at GU. There are a lot of people who enjoy bursting people's bubbles, and guess you are one of them. The summer is always the time for wild speculation and a lot of wishful thinking. It's fun. Sometimes, we score a big recruit though.

I personally enjoy all of these threads because it gets me familiar with recruits outside of my typical sphere of interest. I often will see a guy in the tournament or during the season and have those, "Wow, it would have been cool if he came to GU" moments- and sometimes the opposite, "We dodged a bullet, there" type thoughts.

MDABE80
06-12-2013, 10:27 AM
True to the core JP. Nice post.

BroncoZAG615
06-12-2013, 10:28 AM

It is far, far easier to be negative and then when something goes right say "Glad they proved me wrong" than it is to get invested in something, be positive and then have genuine disappointment when it doesn't happen.

Basically the poster has a win-win. Either he's happy that they got the prospect or he's even happier that he was right and can rub it in for the foreseeable future.

maynard g krebs
06-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Aah, I love the smell of arrogance in the morning.

gamagin
06-12-2013, 11:34 AM

this whole know-it-all stuff reminds me of grade school.

the know-it-all(s) (usually the class tattletale as well) spent most of the school day being ignored, until his underpants were pulled out of his backside and up over his head, just to make him look as "special" as he thought he was.

Or, in emergencies, he was given a wedgie during singing class, or in the hall, or at recess, or at every opportunity -- whenever payback for being an a$$hat was possible.

Most of them grew up. Eventually.

sittingon50
06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Rodney King moment.

And some tacos.

JAGzag
06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
To clarify the Wiltjer recruitment I'm talking from a fans perspective. A ton of hope was put into him coming here and wasn't going to happen. People were hype about him.

Just bringing info to the board. No saying the staff needa to give up, more for fans hope.

No offense, but I hope your source is as good as Abe's secret big man source ...

DADoZAG
06-12-2013, 02:13 PM
No offense, but I hope your source is as good as Abe's secret big man source ...

Hey, don't say that about Abe's Mom, I mean Mum (he's English, ya know).

Go ZAGS!

cggonzaga
06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey, don't say that about Abe's Mom, I mean Mum (he's English, ya know).

That explains a lot.

Zippyzaggy
06-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Sorry to tell ya but this is not so. I would LOVE for him to come here. I can't think of a better prospect that I'd rather acquire. Yes, it's nice to fantasize and speculate about landing Perkins. But he ain't coming. So I find it difficult to get too excited about him NOT coming.

I HOPE he does. Can't wait to take fire for my opinion if by some miracle he does come to GU, matter of fact looking forward to it. But he ain't coming. If anyone besides Bronco are waiting for me to say "i told you so"....don't hold your breath. That ain't happenin either! :-)

DixieZag
06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Sorry to tell ya but this is not so. I would LOVE for him to come here. I can't think of a better prospect that I'd rather acquire. Yes, it's nice to fantasize and speculate about landing Perkins. But he ain't coming. So I find it difficult to get too excited about him NOT coming.

I HOPE he does. Can't wait to take fire for my opinion if by some miracle he does come to GU, matter of fact looking forward to it. But he ain't coming. If anyone besides Bronco are waiting for me to say "i told you so"....don't hold your breath. That ain't happenin either! :-)

That is a good retort - dialing it back a bit. And you are certainly fine to have your opinion and express it. I can't find anything in his words at all to make the conclusion that you have, I feel if it was "don't call us. . . " he wouldn't bother to tweet anyway.

810Suited: When you make a somewhat mocking statement "move on" - expect strong responses. It is invited by your strong opening. But, you seem to be running to the bottom, there is always time to turn around.

Perhaps life was better pre-blogs, I KNOW we should move on from twitter. Limited to near cave man grunts, it doesn't seem like the place for in depth analysis.

cjm720
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM

I know part of the reason I get so positive about recruits is because they read these boards (and it's way better than being negative). It's a long off-season and I relish recruiting season for similar reasons as JP posted above.

Bottom line, you have an opinion like we all do. I chose to believe we have a chance and his recent visit to our school would lead a reasonable person to think we do as well.

ZagaZags
06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
This is the best chance Gonzaga has ever had at a 5 star recruit. Josh only gets 5 official visits and we were his first. Not saying that he will be a Zag but I think we will be in his top 2.
I also think Reid Travis is a lock for Gonzaga.

p.s I know Micah Downs was a 5 star player but he picked Kansas.

KStyles
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM
This is the best chance Gonzaga has ever had at a 5 star recruit. Josh only gets 5 official visits and we were his first. Not saying that he will be a Zag but I think we will be in his top 2.
I also think Reid Travis is a lock for Gonzaga.

p.s I know Micah Downs was a 5 star player but he picked Kansas.

I believe Perkins officially visited UNM earlier this spring when Alford was still there, which was partly why the UCLA visit a week or two ago was only an unofficial.

ZagaZags
06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
I believe Perkins officially visited UNM earlier this spring when Alford was still there, which was partly why the UCLA visit a week or two ago was only an unofficial.

I was thinking New Mexico was an unofficial.
My bad.

Kong-Kool-Aid
06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Weird,

I asked my source and he said that Perkins is a lock to be a Zag.

He also mentioned that LeBron James has discovered a loophole allowing him to use his college eligibility.

He'll be a Zag next season too.

I bet my source knows just as much as yours.

DixieZag
06-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I was thinking New Mexico was an unofficial.
My bad.

I heard the same. There is a chance it was here and in error. But, as I recall it, it was in one of the actual stories about him - which doesn't guarantee it is accurate either. It does make a certain amount of sense, a family very committed, knowing the rules and simply driving down to a relatively close school and thus saving another visit to one more expensive due to being a long way away. Don't know.

KStyles
06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I think this may have been posted in another thread last week or so, but Perkins mentions that UNM was his first official in this interview. He also mentions GU along with USC, UCLA, Minnesota as coming after him the hardest and said Cuse, UK & UConn are newly after him as well. This interview was at the Pangos Camp before his GU visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLy_XHGhvaY

DixieZag
06-13-2013, 07:07 AM
I think this may have been posted in another thread last week or so, but Perkins mentions that UNM was his first official in this interview. He also mentions GU along with USC, UCLA, Minnesota as coming after him the hardest and said Cuse, UK & UConn are newly after him as well. This interview was at the Pangos Camp before his GU visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLy_XHGhvaY

I guess that is kind of good news. Only 2 more (not 3) chances for him to be lured away.

And his first two (UCLA/GU - and GU was supposed to be first, just scheduling or so we hear) are likely his favorites, I don't count NM b/c I see it as just Alford.

And, one other good point, UCLA and GU are in different BB universes so it's not like we are competing against a bunch of schools similar. I still hope that we are Dad's first pick. Josh is the type of guy (so it seems anyway) who leans on his parents in a healthy way. Hope his dad convinces him on this one.

cggonzaga
06-13-2013, 09:21 AM
I guess that is kind of good news. Only 2 more (not 3) chances for him to be lured away.

UCLA was an unofficial. Still 3 chances for him to go elsewhere.

MDABE80
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM

Had to keep it secret. Last thing we'd ever want is some form of retaliation for being "disloyal" should a kid decide not to leave a program for whatever reason.. We lost him anyway so no need to stir the........he'd have made a big difference.

Oregonzagnut
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM

The fragrance of arrogance? People can't smell their own stink.

Zags11
06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
smh at this discussion

zagfan1
06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
You don't move on till the fat lady sings. Perkins visiting is a good thing. We need optimism rather than the opposite. I am kind of perturbed by the lack of faith. We will get there:)

Ekrub
06-15-2013, 09:14 AM
You don't move on till the fat lady sings. Perkins visiting is a good thing. We need optimism rather than the opposite. I am kind of perturbed by the lack of faith. We will get there:)

No, you move on when the GUBoards tells you to move on. Don't you know that?

zagssuperfan
06-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Kentucky is getting closer and closer to offering. Especially since Perkins has said that he is willing to play with Mudiay. If Kentucky offers, he will commit. When asked if he will remove them from his list when he cuts it down in August if they haven't given him an offer, he replied "No, its Kentucky".

ZAGGED OUT
06-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Kentucky is getting closer and closer to offering. Especially since Perkins has said that he is willing to play with Mudiay. If Kentucky offers, he will commit. When asked if he will remove them from his list when he cuts it down in August if they haven't given him an offer, he replied "No, its Kentucky".

1st post ever and a quote with no link. Convincing.

Malastein
06-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Great first post! Where you'd get the info?

Zippyzaggy
06-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Question to the MODS or whoever selectively deletes, or allows posts. Are these kind of nasty, personal jabs acceptable on here and, responses to it not?

Kinda new, and confused about how things work around here. As long as I keep getting my questions deleted or not answered I'll have to assume a glitch in the system and keep posting until I do?

How else is someone supposed to know what's going on?

Thank you

zagssuperfan
06-15-2013, 09:57 AM
1st post ever and a quote with no link. Convincing.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Already making me want to stay and contribute.

zagssuperfan
06-15-2013, 09:58 AM
:link:http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid97471452001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAABvb_erE~,dDIpI6jUI 3ROSZRAumKTdypAc2rv2OWh&bclid=44969820001&bctid=2480289022001

zagssuperfan
06-15-2013, 10:03 AM
:link: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/06/14/2679109/next-cats-pg-prospect-perkins.html

In this article he says that coach Cal called him while he was visiting GU, but didn't answer because he didn't want to be rude.

:link: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2013/06/15/karl-towns-gives-uk-recruit-perkins-a-passing-grade/

In this articel, Karl Towns, the number 2 C in the class of 2014, and Kentucky's only commit so far, said of Perkins that “Me and him had a good rapport when we stepped on the floor".

Its not looking good.

zagssuperfan
06-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Btw, he mentions that he has never actually talked to Cal before, so the call from him his the first, which is a bad sign.

Zippyzaggy
06-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Makes me wonder if Cal knew he was visiting Gonzaga at the time of his call. Hmmmmm.

"Well, Kentucky's Kentucky," he said. "I have dreams of making it to the NBA, and that's what they do."

""From what I've gathered, if you're not looking to go to the league in one or two years, then maybe Kentucky's not the place for you," he said. "The style of play fits (me) perfectly. And I have dreams of making it to the league early."

And, he ended his recruitment by Duke because ""They told me earlier in the year that I was a backup to Tyus," Perkins said. "And I don't feel like I'm anybody's backup."

THIS....will not end well.

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Zags were Icarus-like with this kid and will meet same fate. E for effort, though.

Zippyzaggy
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Already making me want to stay and contribute.

You are not alone. You may also learn that things are not on a level playing field on this blog. It certainly seems that way. But yeah, makes one want to contribute a lot, huh?

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Btw, he mentions that he has never actually talked to Cal before, so the call from him his the first, which is a bad sign.

Wiltjer 2.0. I hope I live long enough to see Calipari in shackles, metaphorically or otherwise. Despicable person.

BroncoZAG615
06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Wiltjer 2.0. I hope I live long enough to see Calipari in shackles, metaphorically or otherwise. Despicable person.

I thought it was UCLA, jazz? I can't keep track anymore. Meanwhile, things like this keep popping up:

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/345957912893607936

Yep, sounds like no chance to me.

Zippyzaggy
06-15-2013, 10:55 AM
On the one hand he wants that close knit community and school. Stable coaching staff, small warm & fuzzy.

Yet he is too good to be "anybody's' back-up" and wants to get to the NBA "early."

So, will he choose the warm & fuzzy? or the MONEY?

$Chaching$

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I thought it was UCLA, jazz? I can't keep track anymore. Meanwhile, things like this keep popping up:

Yep, sounds like no chance to me.

Calipari was in the weeds, Bronc. Who knew? Did you? Detest the man. Losing to Alford bad enough. Keep dreaming. Happy Father's Day.

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 11:03 AM
On the one hand he wants that close knit community and school. Stable coaching staff, small warm & fuzzy.

Yet he is too good to be "anybody's' back-up" and wants to get to the NBA "early."

So, will he choose the warm & fuzzy? or the MONEY?

$Chaching$

Is that a shout out to Fredrick of Million Dollar Listing NY?

ZagNative
06-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Yep, sounds like no chance to me.Bronco, can't thank you enough for your diligence and persistence in tracking all the kids the staff is zoned in on!

Your Big Board from April (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014-gonzaga-recruiting/2013/4/30/4286044/2014-gonzaga-recruiting-josh-perkins-reid-travis) is still my bible. When might we see a comprehensive update?

BroncoZAG615
06-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Bronco, can't thank you enough for your diligence and persistence in tracking all the kids the staff is zoned in on!

Your Big Board from April (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014-gonzaga-recruiting/2013/4/30/4286044/2014-gonzaga-recruiting-josh-perkins-reid-travis) is still my bible. When might we see a comprehensive update?

Likely mid-week. My real job has diminished my sleuthing ability somewhat but we should have a couple interviews and updates regarding the 2014 and 2015 classes this week which should include an updated big board.

The contact period just opened up again and the staff has been very busy reaching out to several excellent 2015 prospects.

It continues to be a very exciting summer. Silas Melson & Richard Amardi heading to campus for visits, Perkins still very much in play, Reid Travis likely to visit, and the list goes on and on.

The prevailing vibe we get is that Few has never been as active recruiting-wise as he has been with the 2014 class. I think that will be a key and it continues to be one thing we try to stress with the Perkins recruitment. Few's been on him since day one.

That's where the Wiltjer comparisons fall short. Leon Rice established a great relationship with him and when he left for Boise, the Zags likelihood to get Kyle was severely reduced. I get that people hear Kentucky and immediately think back to that but I am just trying to clear up the massive amounts of misinformation in this and other threads.

CDC84
06-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Wiltjer 2.0.

Leon Rice's departure to BSU had more to do with him not choosing Gonzaga than John Calipari's phone call. GU was basically out of the chase well before Kentucky even became interested in Wiltjer. Leon was GU's "in" with KW.

I'm with Bronco....I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Perkins chose Gonzaga despite all this talk of him wanting to play in the NBA early or the fact that he wants to visit other schools. Then again, it wouldn't shock me if he chose another school. Other players have chosen GU before who had a similar desire for NBA glory, which I don't think is a bad thing so long as the kid comes out when he's truly ready for the league. The Dad, especially, has handled this recruitment thing as good as any parent I've seen when it comes to an elite player. He doesn't want his son making a brash decision, and he wants him to check out a number of different environments. The Dad has spoken very, very highly of Coach Few and his staff in interviews...more so than any other coaching staff that's involved with Josh. The Jesuit connection is also a bigger deal than some people may think.

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 11:42 AM
CDC, so you're saying...

Kyrie Irving, Duke
John Wall, KY
Derrick Rose, UM
Josh Perkins, Gonzaga...

That the #1 point guard of his class is possibly coming to Spokane? Is that right?

BroncoZAG615
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
CDC, so you're saying...

Kyrie Irving, Duke
John Wall, KY
Derrick Rose, UM
Josh Perkins, Gonzaga...

That the #1 point guard of his class is possibly coming to Spokane? Is that right?

Before more misinformation is spewed in this thread, as it stands now, Josh Perkins is not the #1 PG in the 2014 class.

Emmanuel Mudiay, Tyus Jones, Jaquan Lyle, and Joel Berry are rated ahead of Perkins by most outlets.

He is probably the hottest prospect at this time mainly due to the fact that he has been hidden in Colorado.

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Before more misinformation is spewed in this thread, as it stands now, Josh Perkins is not the #1 PG in the 2014 class.

Emmanuel Mudiay, Tyus Jones, Jaquan Lyle, and Joel Berry are rated ahead of Perkins by most outlets.

He is probably the hottest prospect at this time mainly due to the fact that he has been hidden in Colorado.

No need to get on your high horse, Mr Bronco. "Spewed" a code word?

So he's #5? Whatever, that doesn't really alter my point now, does it?

MDABE80
06-15-2013, 12:18 PM
CDC, so you're saying...

Kyrie Irving, Duke
John Wall, KY
Derrick Rose, UM
Josh Perkins, Gonzaga...

I don't think he's coming for SPOKANE, he's coming because of Gonzaga........if he comes. I think, unlike prior opinions, he actually is leaning our way. Our culture fits. His dad likes us and, although he wants an NBA career, the key question is why not us? I wonder if John might get involved. The larger question is whether Few (at least for this one) is willing to promise lots of court time. I'd say him, Kevin and Bell would up the ante tremendously. The issue is playing time. If he's promised that in some sort of departure from previous kids, he'll be looking our way. UCLA is loaded with guards.as is Kentucky with the twins.

Small school with the Jesuit culture who appears on national TV so frequently might be the situation for Josh. In his interviews, this one kids stands out as mature beyond his years. I hope he comes.

Worthington
06-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Did anyone else watch that video and hear Perkins mention that Reid Travis is one of the guys he's talking to about playing together at the next level...love hearing that

VaBeachZAG
06-15-2013, 07:03 PM
So, everything I read about Perkins states that he is a pass first kind of point guard. The biggest key to having a chance for him now is to show that, if he comes to GU, he will have bigs in the paint to pass to. If we can some how get Travis on-board, it will demonstrate our commitment to have quality bigs for Perkins to pass to if he should come to GU. Get a commit from Travis and maybe one more big with two-plus years of eligibility and that just might help close the deal with Perkins. I still think getting Perkins is a long shot, but the possibility does still exist, in my view.

bigparb
06-15-2013, 07:16 PM
How many scholly's are available for 2014?

1 - Josh Perkins
2 - T Reid
3 - M Pope or B Chapman (utah pf)
4 - Silas

Anyone else?

Saxon_zag
06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
No need to get on your high horse, Mr Bronco. "Spewed" a code word?

So he's #5? Whatever, that doesn't really alter my point now, does it?

Yes, yes it does

thespywhozaggedme
06-15-2013, 09:20 PM
How many scholly's are available for 2014?

1 - Josh Perkins
2 - T Reid
3 - M Pope or B Chapman (utah pf)
4 - Silas

Anyone else?

Stockton, Barham, Sam, and any transfer that can play immediately and only has one year left or anyone who transfers or leaves early for the draft, but as of right now, 3 for sure.

ZagaZags
06-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Stockton, Barham, Sam, and any transfer that can play immediately and only has one year left or anyone who transfers or leaves early for the draft, but as of right now, 3 for sure.

As it stands we would have 5 scholarships for 2014-2015. We have 2 spots open for the 2013-2014 season. Add the 3 for 2014, we will have 5 open spots.
Time for our Fab Five.

Vanzagger
06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
I would come because of Spokane. And the KC of course.

thespywhozaggedme
06-16-2013, 05:38 PM
As it stands we would have 5 scholarships for 2014-2015. We have 2 spots open for the 2013-2014 season. Add the 3 for 2014, we will have 5 open spots.
Time for our Fab Five.

Why would you add the three? The two vacant ones will be filled before this season begins.

ZagaZags
06-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Why would you add the three? The two vacant ones will be filled before this season begins.

I said as it stands. We have 11 scholarship players for the 2013-2014 season. We have 2 open spots ( as it stands ) we lose 3 players after next season and that opens up 3 more scholarships. 2 + 3 = 5
Sure Gonzaga might sign a kid for the 2013 season but as of now we have 2 open spots and 3 more for the 2014-2015 season.

LongIslandZagFan
06-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Did anyone else watch that video and hear Perkins mention that Reid Travis is one of the guys he's talking to about playing together at the next level...love hearing that

So close Travis and our stock likely goes up with Perkins.

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 07:37 AM
I said as it stands. We have 11 scholarship players for the 2013-2014 season. We have 2 open spots ( as it stands ) we lose 3 players after next season and that opens up 3 more scholarships. 2 + 3 = 5
Sure Gonzaga might sign a kid for the 2013 season but as of now we have 2 open spots and 3 more for the 2014-2015 season.

I'm not getting, what you're not getting. We have two open schollies for THIS upcoming season, they will be filled. That leaves three, for '14/'15 when Barham, Sam and David graduate, not counting one and done guys, i.e 1 year transfers, and/or early draft declarees. Pretty sure the poster wasn't being literal about the day he asked, bur for this upcoming season.

Zags11
06-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Question to the MODS or whoever selectively deletes, or allows posts. Are these kind of nasty, personal jabs acceptable on here and, responses to it not?

Kinda new, and confused about how things work around here. As long as I keep getting my questions deleted or not answered I'll have to assume a glitch in the system and keep posting until I do?

How else is someone supposed to know what's going on?

Thank you

No, its elders or in the coolness that are allowed.

ZagaZags
06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm not getting, what you're not getting. We have two open schollies for THIS upcoming season, they will be filled. That leaves three, for '14/'15 when Barham, Sam and David graduate, not counting one and done guys, i.e 1 year transfers, and/or early draft declarees. Pretty sure the poster wasn't being literal about the day he asked, bur for this upcoming season.

Can you share with us who might fill these 2 spots? I am glad to hear we will have a full roster next season.

webspinnre
06-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Richard Amardi will hopefully be one of them.

ZagaZags
06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Richard Amardi will hopefully be one of them.

1. L. Meikle
2. R. Edwards
3. Sam Dower
4. Drew Barham
5. Gary Bell
6. Kevin Pangos
7. G. Coleman
8. K. Dranginis
9. P. Karowski
10. A. Nunez
11. D. Stockton* walk-on
12. Open- Amardi, maybe
13. Open

KStyles
06-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Joe Coleman could be a possibility to take one of them as well.

ZagaZags
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM

If we don't fill the last 2 scholarships for this season and we have Dower, Stockton and Barham leaving as seniors we will have 5 scholarships for 2014. Pretty simple. As it stands we don't know for sure if they will be filled. But you know for a fact they will be filled.

I would love to have more than 3 scholarships for 2014. Could be the best recruiting class ever for Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 05:25 PM
If we don't fill the last 2 scholarships for this season and we have Dower, Stockton and Barham leaving as seniors we will have 5 scholarships for 2014. Pretty simple. As it stands we don't know for sure if they will be filled. But you know for a fact they will be filled.

I would love to have more than 3 scholarships for 2014. Could be the best recruiting class ever for Gonzaga.

I haven't heard of a team not using their full allotment of schollies before. I mean, it's not illegal, but I don't know why a team wouldn't.

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 05:26 PM
1. L. Meikle
2. R. Edwards
3. Sam Dower
4. Drew Barham
5. Gary Bell
6. Kevin Pangos
7. G. Coleman
8. K. Dranginis
9. P. Karowski
10. A. Nunez
11. D. Stockton* walk-on
12. Open- Amardi, maybe
13. Open

Stockton is on scholarship. I don't wanna open up the can of worms on whether or not he should be a walk on.

Birddog
06-17-2013, 05:28 PM
I haven't heard of a team not using their full allotment of schollies before. I mean, it's not illegal, but I don't know why a team wouldn't.

Many teams/coaches leave schollies unfilled. It happens all the time. There are any number of reasons to do it.

sittingon50
06-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Mid-season transfers.

Nunez got one.

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Mid-season transfers.

Nunez got one.

Kelly
Elias
Guy
Gary
Kevin
David
Drew
Sam
Karno
Mike
Kyle
Were our schollie players last year, I believe.

GoZags
06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Kelly
Elias
Guy
Gary
Kevin
David
Drew
Sam
Karno
Mike
Kyle
Were our schollie players last year, I believe.

Gerard was also on scholarship the entire year and as '50 pointed out, Nunez was on scholarship the 2nd half of last year.

BTB
06-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Many teams/coaches leave schollies unfilled. It happens all the time. There are any number of reasons to do it.

Yep, Calipari only has 9 or so scholarship players each year. Next year is an exception, of course.

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Gerard was also on scholarship the entire year and as '50 pointed out, Nunez was on scholarship the 2nd half of last year.

Yes, I forgot about those two, thanks. So, like I said originally, we used all 13 schollies available. Have we ever not used them?

thespywhozaggedme
06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
]Many teams/coaches leave schollies unfilled. It happens all the time.[/B] There are any number of reasons to do it.

Which teams, and how often? Other than Caliparis puppy mill, I can't think of who these "many" teams are?

Zippyzaggy
06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
No, its elders or in the coolness that are allowed.

LOL, hey...I got 50 freakin posts in! I guess that makes me the man. Low man on the totem pole, that is. :(

810Suited
06-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Not having Spangler sucks

TexasZagFan
06-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Quite the eisegesis, there. It's also not a stretch, however, considering that most major prospects listed around here never end up at GU. There are a lot of people who enjoy bursting people's bubbles, and guess you are one of them. The summer is always the time for wild speculation and a lot of wishful thinking. It's fun. Sometimes, we score a big recruit though.

I personally enjoy all of these threads because it gets me familiar with recruits outside of my typical sphere of interest. I often will see a guy in the tournament or during the season and have those, "Wow, it would have been cool if he came to GU" moments- and sometimes the opposite, "We dodged a bullet, there" type thoughts.

I'm rather embarrassed to say I've never heard of "eisegesis"... :o

However, I will admit to displaying that trait on occasion. :lmao:

ZagaZags
06-18-2013, 11:26 PM
1. L. Meikle
2. R. Edwards
3. Sam Dower
4. Drew Barham
5. Gary Bell
6. Kevin Pangos
7. G. Coleman
8. K. Dranginis
9. P. Karowski
10. A. Nunez
11. D. Stockton* walk-on
12. Open- Amardi, maybe
13. Open

Well, we have 2 open scholarships and I hope we save 1 for 2014. Need a big for 2013.

ZagaZags
08-20-2013, 03:23 AM

And wrong.

Oregonzagnut
08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
And wrong.

The OP is even more wrong.

UCLA is a lock.....

Things change, and the sexy pick can change with time into a ball and chain.

thespywhozaggedme
08-20-2013, 11:50 AM

So.......how do you like your crow served?:p

exclusivelee
08-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Wait till Perkins makes his decision before you keep bragging over getting a recruit you haven't gotten yet

BroncoZAG615
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Wait till Perkins makes his decision before you keep bragging over getting a recruit you haven't gotten yet

Yes, because all of us here contributed so much to Gonzaga's recruitment of Perkins.

If GU lands him, it will be due to Mark Few outrecruiting everyone else on his list. He has been outstanding this summer.

Zippyzaggy
08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
And wrong.

Kinda premature, eh?? You don't have proof of anything yet zagazags. And, Bronco is right...you didn't have ANTHING to do with it if he does go Gonzaga. All you do is lurk on the internet and regurgitate what you read.

But somehow I knew you'd be looking into the past to find something to keep hacking on me about.

Could have sworn the MOD GoZags told you to stop it?

Keep it up.

BroncoZAG615
08-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Kinda premature, eh?? You don't have proof of anything yet zagazags. And, Bronco is right...you didn't have ANTHING to do with it if he does go Gonzaga. All you do is lurk on the internet and regurgitate what you read.

But somehow I knew you'd be looking into the past to find something to keep hacking on me about.

Keep it up.

This is absolutely not what I am saying. I think zagazags does a great job keeping everyone here well informed about recruiting and I don't think he has ever claimed to take credit for anything.

Basically, I just hate when fans consider themselves part of the team. I went to the university, have a diploma, and drive my car with a Gonzaga sticker but that doesn't mean my thoughts on next year's schedule matter to anyone.

scott257
08-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes, because all of us here contributed so much to Gonzaga's recruitment of Perkins.

If GU lands him, it will be due to Mark Few outrecruiting everyone else on his list. He has been outstanding this summer.

Agree! He has been outstanding for several years now. I wish the time between seasons was shorter as it is a lot more fun reading discussions related to games than all of the summertime up and down recruiting speculation. I learn a lot about the kids Mark Few and the coaching staff are interested in and I am thankful for that, but anything beyond that is almost pure b.s. until the kids commit to one school or another. I think Gonzaga has been so consistently good that we shouldn't count ourselves out against any other program when our coaches are making the effort to recruit them. Seems to me that as fans, we should be as confident as the coaching staff is. Even though we might be disappointed from time to time, we sure have had a really great group of kids to follow year after year (for several years now).

Malastein
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
This is absolutely not what I am saying. I think zagazags does a great job keeping everyone here well informed about recruiting and I don't think he has ever claimed to take credit for anything.

Basically, I just hate when fans consider themselves part of the team. I went to the university, have a diploma, and drive my car with a Gonzaga sticker but that doesn't mean my thoughts on next year's schedule matter to anyone.

This board is founded upon the principles of frivolous opinions, and sifting through large amounts of information which is highly speculative and frequently erroneous. Your opinion matters more than most because you are typically better informed, much like Zagazags. There's plenty of posts I skim past, but there's some I keep my eyes out for.

thespywhozaggedme
08-20-2013, 03:58 PM

The thread was that he was a LOCK to UCLA. Read the title and op, before you call out other posters.

MDABE80
08-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Keep it up.

HARSH.........too harsh;)

Zippyzaggy
08-20-2013, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=BroncoZAG615;930534] I don't think he has ever claimed to take credit for anything. QUOTE]

LMAO, he can't stop telling everyone that will listen to give him credit for being RIGHT about everything so far! Then he stays up til past 4am to look back at something I said and call me wrong BEFORE Perkins has commited to anything. Too bizarre, but then again he has been at me for years so it's really no big surprise.

Zippyzaggy
08-20-2013, 04:38 PM
A look back at some important elements in Perkins recruitment from I believe in March by ZACH BELL I just read for the first time that make me feel better about our chances:

"We look at a number of things when evaluating schools," said Perkins. "The main thing is coaching, you know. You need to make sure the guy that is recruiting you is stable and going to be there when you get there and that you know and fit in with his style. The second thing is style of play. I've seen so many kids choose a school because that school was hot and ranked high but when they got there, they just didn't fit with the style."

While those are just two of the things the Perkins' family will look at before making the eventual decision, they are very impressed by how the Zags fit their wish list.

"We've been in contact with just about every coach (at Gonzaga). All the coaches are awesome and the head coach has been down to see him a few times," Perkins said. "I just have a great, feeling about the sincerity of head coach (Mark Few)."

Prior to Josh Perkins the biggest prospect to come out of Colorado was Matt Bouldin who went on to great success as a member of the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Randy did mention the two have a relationship.

"Matt and Josh had a pre-existing relationship and Matt has worked Josh out a few times. Josh reaches out to Matt from time to time for advice."

So, if it really is down to Minn and Gonzaga, one might have to start thinking the stuff that is important quoted above means something.

I am beginning to feel like a kid on Christmas Eve w/ sugarplums dancing in my head. I felt the same way when it came down to the wire with Wiltjer though...I HOPE he picks the Zags! :)

Zagdawg
08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I like the importance of his spirituality and belief in our Savior-- it only makes sense that he is a Zag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp49hnOisss

Another Great video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxygcKHzwMk

A good one to have join the Zag family....

Worthington
08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Perkins is down to Gonzaga, Minnesota, and UCLA

HenneZag
08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Perkins is down to Gonzaga, Minnesota, and UCLA

We can't count anybody out yet. Mark Few and staff have done all they can to reel Perkins in, at this point it's hurry up and wait. As confident as I was last week I am having a sliver of doubt and contemplating every little detail in the 3 schools still left. I am a bit concerned that with Pangos/Bell/Coleman being here in 2014 may effect Perkins decision just a bit. Who knows if he's made his decision yet, perhaps he is still fluttering back and forth.

Either way I will be @ Priest Lake Saturday. I will celebrate with a shot, or drown in them if its the latter. All schools have its strong points. but im hoping what stands out with his decision is how genuine and present Few has been within the last year.

Go Zags!

cggonzaga
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
:link: or says who?

Zippyzaggy
08-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Adam Zagoria just tweeted that ALL SIGNS say it's GONZAGA for PERKINS!!!!

I will not allow myself to get excited...I will not allow myself to get excited...I will not allow myself to get excited. Been Wiltjered before so I will NOT allow myself to get excited...

"Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 11m All signs pointing to 2014 PG Josh Perkins picking Gonzaga on Saturday, multiple sources tell @SNYtv"

RRZagFan
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Ohio st guy picks zags, now 86% for zags

gu03alum
08-21-2013, 05:31 PM
"Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 11m All signs pointing to 2014 PG Josh Perkins picking Gonzaga on Saturday, multiple sources tell @SNYtv"

Skeet Skeet

MTZag03
08-21-2013, 05:51 PM
I am a bit concerned that with Pangos/Bell/Coleman being here in 2014 may effect Perkins decision just a bit. Who knows if he's made his decision yet, perhaps he is still fluttering back and forth.

Everything I've seen about this kid makes me think that he isn't so NBA 1 and done focused that this will be a hangup. With that being said I have no inside info whatsoever. It is just how I read things. I think he's looking for the program that is the best fit for him and I wish him the best with this process.

HenneZag
08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Everything I've seen about this kid makes me think that he isn't so NBA 1 and done focused that this will be a hangup. With that being said I have no inside info whatsoever. It is just how I read things. I think he's looking for the program that is the best fit for him and I wish him the best with this process.

I cannot imagine the pressure to choose a school especially with who is after him, obviously an exciting process at the same time. I feel great about our chances and from what seems reliable sources stating the same. Like I said earlier Few's persistence and commitment to JP will hopefully pay off in the end, and if so I hope the dominoes fall into GU's favor for landing the rest of the 2014 class.