PDA

View Full Version : Prospect visits and commitments: any numbers for recent years?

TravelinZag
06-11-2013, 06:51 AM
My guess is that the visit is the school's best shot; if no commitment is made within a couple of weeks, its not happening. Conversely, other than international players, few if any scholarship players commit to the Zags without a visit. I would also guess that even with official visits limited, the majority of prospects who visit commit elsewhere.

This site is replete with numbers crunchers; have any of you looked at visits and commitments over recent (5-10) years? What is the Zags' experience, and what do we learn from it? Please share your wisdom.

CDC84
06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
One thing that has to be kept in mind is that many kids have visited Gonzaga over the years, and after their visit, the Zags simply passed. I know this has been the case with several juco players. One HS kid that comes to mind is Phil Nelson. The staff will sometimes bring kids on campus just to see how they react around the existing players. Not only in terms of getting along with the guys, but also to see how good they truly are as basketball players. Obviously, this situation doesn't apply to Josh Perkins (who is clearly good enough and who, by every indication, would fit well with the program), but it's a mistake to assume that every kid who has ever visited Gonzaga and ended up elsewhere did so by rejecting the Zags. Sometimes it's the other way around. Which is why it is generally foolish to accept verbals from kids who have never visited your campus. At least when it comes to a place like Gonzaga and the kinds of players they are generally able to attain.

Oregonzagnut
06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
This is purely conjecture on my part, I bet the "visits to signing ratio" is around 10:1? Especially if you include unofficial visits. In the last few years where Gonzaga is a desirable program, I bet over 40-50 visits are made per year and about 8-10 official visits per year. I think HS kids can only make 5 official NCAA visits so these numbers seem reasonable IMO. Especially if you include JUCOs, internationals and transfers.

Can kids visit even if Gonzaga has no interest? Do they have to be invited to visit?

How many official and unofficial visits are made to Gonzaga every year?

DixieZag
06-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I would be shocked if we were unique in rarely signing kids without a visit. Most kids and families are pretty savvy in this area and won't commit sight unseen.

And, I too, have heard that a visit is a tryout for the recruit also. I have heard the players have veto power over any recruit if they sense something wrong. I even heard a story that the players expressed concern to the coaches about how a guy treated the women that were around and he was thus out.