PDA

View Full Version : DeCourcy: Top 10 Point Guards

ZagNative
06-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Checking in at #7 in Sporting News Top 10 Point Guards (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-06-10/college-basketball-player-rankings-2013-14-top-10-point-guards-marcus-smart/slide/7):
http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/5/73/4504365/163222-375-264.jpg

That a player with Pangos’ gifts and production (11.9 ppg, 3.3 apg) can fall this far on the list is indicative of the wealth of performance at the point guard position. Pangos is one of the best pure shooters at the position and does a solid job running the offense. To become genuinely great, he has to shoot better in the toughest environments; he was 3-of-19 on 3s in road games at Butler, Saint Mary’s and BYU.

DixieZag
06-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I suspect that the weak shooting performances on the road reflect growing pains that are being overcome. It got much better last year and I think that pattern will continue.

jazzdelmar
06-11-2013, 08:43 AM
#7 with a bullet....headed for the zags "top tier".....:)

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
#7 with a bullet....headed for the zags "top tier".....:)

He's gotta get those apg #'s up; 3.3 isn't good enough. As of now, KP is more of a combo guard. I wanna see some of his true pg skills that he has displayed with the Canadian team.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I just read the list; it's flat out terrible. How can a freshman who has never played 1 game be #2?

cjm720
06-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I just read the list; it's flat out terrible. How can a freshman who has never played 1 game be #2?

Agree with #2 but #1 is a no-brainer...lots of good players on that list.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Agree with #2 but #1 is a no-brainer...lots of good players on that list.

I don't agree with that at all. Marcus Smart was the most over rated player in all of D1 last season. He made a HUGE mistake not coming out this year. His #'s are flat out atrocious, specifically his shooting %'s and assist to t.o ratio.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61669/marcus-smart

cjm720
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't agree with that at all. Marcus Smart was the most over rated player in all of D1 last season. He made a HUGE mistake not coming out this year. His #'s are flat out atrocious, specifically his shooting %'s and assist to t.o ratio.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61669/marcus-smart

He's a franchise player wherever he goes. Love his game. Born leader

ZAGGED OUT
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
It was fun watching KP outplay the #1 PG on that list on his home floor last year.

maynard g krebs
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
He's gotta get those apg #'s up; 3.3 isn't good enough.

Numbers taken out of context can be misleading. A more important number is team assists. The Zags tied for 30th at 15.1, and 18th in a/to ratio at 1.35.
That means they're sharing the ball and making smart decisions collectively.

KP did play the 2 a lot last year due to the lack of offense at the 3 necessitating the small lineup at times, so DS got some of the assists KP might have gotten had he played the 1 exclusively. Also, the ball was often put into the hands of the bigs to make a play from the post or wing, and KO and EH were both pretty adept passers, as was Bell, and even Hart as he's showing now on that semipro team.

The question to me isn't whether 3.3 is "good enough". It's more, did he run the team well. I'd say yes.

GoZags
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Mark Few on Marcus Smart:

He's one of the all time greats. I love that guy. He's a warrior. He's a winner. He's the umpteenth level. I'll go into battle with that guy any time.

Note: No malice intended with this post. It is merely an exact quote from Gonzaga Head Coach Mark Few on Marcus Smart.
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/mark-few-on-marcus-smart

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Mark Few on Marcus Smart:

Note: No malice intended with this post. It is merely an exact quote from Gonzaga Head Coach Mark Few on Marcus Smart.
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/mark-few-on-marcus-smart

I'm sure he's a great teammate and has a ton of heart, not questioning that at all, but 40% shooting and 20% from 3 and and awful assist to turnover ratio can't just be ignored because one of the best coaches in the country likes the guy; numbers don't lie. I'll make you a bet that he isn't drafted nearly as high next year as he would have been this year. He made a huge mistake not coming out this year.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 01:07 PM
He's a franchise player wherever he goes. Love his game. Born leader

I disagree with your post except the last part; love his heart and hustle, hate his inefficiency and terrible shooting numbers and god awful assist to turnover ratio.

cjm720
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Stats are funny things...can paint any story or might not tell the story.

The fact of the matter is he's a winner. Not considering any other roster changes Oklahoma State improved it's record from (overall/conference) 15-18 (7-11) to 24-9 (13-5). Pretty impressive. Add to that his athleticism and work ethic and love for the game and I can see why he's a top 5 caliber player.

GoZags
06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Big 12 POY as a true freshman. Current front runner for '13/'14 College POY. I have no problem with Marcus Smart being #1 on SN's list. Great seeing Kevin Pangos there, too.

Edited to add: I haven't followed (nor do I plan to follow) Smart's draft status.

CDC84
06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Without Smart, OSU would've been a bottom feeder in the Big 12. He bailed the Pokes out of so many games that I wouldn't care if he shot 17% for the season. I'll take the wins.

BTB
06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Marcus Smart is an incredible player. If I were an NBA GM with the #1 pick and he had declared this year, he would be my pick. You can't teach his leadership, his will, or his athleticism. Will his draft stock fall next year? Probably, because next years draft has some true studs. It does not mean he is going to be a worse player next year.

That list seems just about right to me, other than it's hard to say exactly how good a freshman is going to be.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Big 12 POY as a true freshman. Current front runner for '13/'14 College POY. I have no problem with Marcus Smart being #1 on SN's list. Great seeing Kevin Pangos there, too.

Edited to add: I haven't followed (nor do I plan to follow) Smart's draft status.

Don't get me wrong; I like the guy. I love his heart, hustle and passion. I just think his #'s aren't worthy of his lofty ranking, but he has the talent to improve on it.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Marcus Smart is an incredible player. If I were an NBA GM with the #1 pick and he had declared this year, he would be my pick. You can't teach his leadership, his will, or his athleticism. Will his draft stock fall next year? Probably, because next years draft has some true studs. It does not mean he is going to be a worse player next year.

That list seems just about right to me, other than it's hard to say exactly how good a freshman is going to be.

The #1 pick in the draft on a pg that shoots 40% from the field, 20% from 3 and has an abysmal assist to turnover ratio?

ZAGGED OUT
06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
The #1 pick in the draft on a pg that shoots 40% from the field, 20% from 3 and has an abysmal assist to turnover ratio?

Spy, it's 30% from 3pt, dont slant stats, and 40% from the field from a freshman PG who's asked to handle the ball A LOT is not too bad. Also, his A/TO is over 1 IIRC, which really isn't THAT bad. Not sure why you seem to dislike him so much

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Spy, it's 30% from 3pt, dont slant stats, and 40% from the field from a freshman PG who's asked to handle the ball A LOT is not too bad. Also, his A/TO is over 1 IIRC, which really isn't THAT bad. Not sure why you seem to dislike him so much

It was 29%, not 20, not 30, my bad. I made a mistake, watch the accusations, I don't appreciate it and it really ticks me off. I've been on these boards for 15 years, I don't lie on purpose.

4.2 apg to 3.4 turnovers per game is "that bad" it's atrocious. Can he get better? Yes and I think he will. But his #'s as they now stand are not good.

BTB
06-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Better than an athletic big who can't score, has terrible fundementals, and has a bad knee (that's who will probably be number 1 right now).

Do you know who else were not good shooters coming out of college? Jason Kidd. Dwyane Wade (still isn't). Kobe Bryant. Lebron James. Michael Jordan. To name a few

ZAGGED OUT
06-12-2013, 08:03 AM
It was 29%, not 20, not 30, my bad. I made a mistake, watch the accusations, I don't appreciate it and it really ticks me off. I've been on these boards for 15 years, I don't lie on purpose.

4.2 apg to 3.4 turnovers per game is "that bad" it's atrocious. Can he get better? Yes and I think he will. But his #'s as they now stand are not good.

Spy, take it easy man, I'm not attacking your personal credibility. However, if you post stats, it's your responsibility to be sure they're right, or at least close. Again, no reason to get defensive, it was a mistake I just didn't know that. Concerning his A/TO ratio, you're right it's not great, but he was a true freshman asked to do the majority of the ball handling. In addition, he didn't have the bigs to finish around the rim to add to his assist total. I'm not saying he should be a #1 pick when he goes, but he's lottery material imo.