PDA

View Full Version : The Eagle Has Landed!

ZagNative
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Per twitter:
Josh Perkins ‏@JoshPerkins03 13m

Just landed in Spokane! #gonzagabound

bostonzagfan
06-08-2013, 09:42 PM
yessssssss

Oregonzagnut
06-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Gonzagabound!

Stache
06-08-2013, 10:30 PM
A trip for tacos? Worked last time.

NotoriousZ
06-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Welcome Josh!

DixieZag
06-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Absolutely perfect weather. He will see the campus at it's most beautiful - favorably comparable to UCLA.

ZagLawGrad
06-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Welcome! And feel free to stay a long time!

Gonzdb8
06-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Absolutely perfect weather. He will see the campus at it's most beautiful - favorably comparable to UCLA.

actually half the campus seems like its under construction this summer. definitely not seeing it at its "most beautiful".

Oregonzagnut
06-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Welcome! And feel free to stay a long time!

Like 4 years. At least Spokane has nice weather this week. I am still surprised no East coast schools offered to him.

HenneZag
06-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Playing at Huntington Prep next season he will have probably receive offers from all the High Majors. Which makes me just a bit weary at this point. If he was content with his offer list thus far, why go somewhere else to play? Does he want to be a one and done? Receive offers from the likes of the blue bloods? Huntington Prep is the assembly line for the NBA.

I'm excited he's here, and hoping we can pull a surprising commitment from this young man. He is fun to watch, the possibility of Perkins in a GU uniform would be unreal.

MDABE80
06-09-2013, 11:43 AM
UCLA is quite expansive. Kinda big for a kid to digest. Ronald Reagan Medical Center alone is stunning and it's right on campus.
If a kid wants to focus on basketball, that ain't the place. FOr me, at least, just too many distractions. Since Perkins in a short term kid ( maybe 2 years), I wish John was more active with PG candidates. "I'm going to make you the best PG ever" should be the message.
Him, Kevin, Gary and Coleman would be fun to watch.
Kid's a killer but we need bigs..like never before. Bigs to pass to. Bigs to rebound. Mark..!! Find some athletic bigs!!! SO much for "Fantasy Sunday"!

DixieZag
06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
actually half the campus seems like its under construction this summer. definitely not seeing it at its "most beautiful".

Hmmm, I did not know that. Too bad.

But, the lawyer in me says the point to him should be "we are building this place up and buffing it out - it all be done when you get here, it'll be awesome."

Don't know if it is true or not about being done - but that never stood in my way of a good argument before.

bostonzagfan
06-09-2013, 08:24 PM
lets get excited people - he's ranked 26 by scout.com and in the low 40s by both espn and rivals.

LMUZAG
06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Welcome Josh! Great place to play basketball! Passionate fan base for sure :)

Reborn
06-10-2013, 05:07 AM
This is probably the quietest I have ever seen the mbb forum when a big recruit is on campus. It's like no one really saw him at all. Was he even there? For a guy who's supposedly a rock star in the making, it's sure quiet. They sure kept him hidden well.

bartruff1
06-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Ucla

LongIslandZagFan
06-10-2013, 06:38 AM
This is probably the quietest I have ever seen the mbb forum when a big recruit is on campus. It's like no one really saw him at all. Was he even there? For a guy who's supposedly a rock star in the making, it's sure quiet. They sure kept him hidden well.

Lack of students on campus perhaps?

hooter73
06-10-2013, 07:27 AM
I figure that school's out and very few players are on campus to tweet about it... but the coaches know their stuff and im sure they tailored this visit to what was going to be most impressive and productive for him. Maybe Perkins doesnt like the hooplah, maybe they took an easy or backseat approach because that is the effective way to get through to this individual player. Trust in the coaches.

Other than Hoopfest weekend, it couldnt have been a nicer atmosphere for a visit.

DixieZag
06-10-2013, 07:38 AM
I figure that school's out and very few players are on campus to tweet about it... but the coaches know their stuff and im sure they tailored this visit to what was going to be most impressive and productive for him. Maybe Perkins doesnt like the hooplah, maybe they took an easy or backseat approach because that is the effective way to get through to this individual player. Trust in the coaches.

Other than Hoopfest weekend, it couldnt have been a nicer atmosphere for a visit.

Nah, just no tweets, instagrams, smoke signals from kids on campus feeding the shark fest here. No nuggets to run through the spectrometer - evaluations in two dozen ways.

Though, I agree that if there is a player who might appreciate understatement and reflection - it is likely Perkins. They should have taken him to student services last night at the Ad building (or do those stop in summer?) - if it is true that his faith is really important, seeing classmates together might impress him?

Hell, I don't know - just keep putting a pen in his hand. . . .

ZagNative
06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Scout has a report up (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1298691.html) about the visit:
Josh Perkins is back from an official visit to Gonzaga and unofficial to UCLA. How did the two trips go and what's next for the five-star point guard?

Josh Perkins has taken a couple of visits in the last week and a half, as the five-star point guard moves closer towards a decision.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound 2014 point guard, who is originally from Denver but transferring to Huntington (W.V.) Prep for his senior year, finished an official visit to Gonzaga on Monday morning.

"The visit went great," said Josh's father, Randy Perkins. "It's a really stable institution when you look at the coaching staff and its success in the NCAA tournament. It's a smaller, more intimate campus. It was a really good visit."

While in town for the Pangos All-American Camp, Perkins was able to stop by the UCLA campus for a visit as well.

"You're walking on the same ground as John Wooden and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar," said Randy. "It's hard to find words to describe the whole UCLA experience. At the same time, I have to keep him grounded because that can't be the whole reason you choose a school."

New Mexico previously received an official visit, and Randy said that his son will "more than likely" officially visit Connecticut and Kentucky is another potential destination, with John Calipari picking up his recruitment of the rising senior.

raise the zag
06-10-2013, 02:37 PM
the longest of long shots, imho.

"You're walking on the same ground as John Wooden and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar," said Randy. "It's hard to find words to describe the whole UCLA experience. At the same time, I have to keep him grounded because that can't be the whole reason you choose a school."

If he thinks his son was awed by the UCLA visit, just wait to Coach Cal & his Minions join the race...

We may need to 'settle for the moon' on this one.

MDABE80
06-10-2013, 02:46 PM
The DAD really likes us. Smaller and intimate with great coaching. his kid is likely to be in the NBA without UCLA or UK. It depends n how he wants to live while stufying. Calipari is a deft salsman...........he has guards. This is a nice place and calm for the most part.
If he's NBA bound and wants TV time, we're in good shape.
We may not get him but we're st least even up as for today. Just spectacular weather over the past few days.
UCLA isn't quiet. SOme distraction always going on. Let's face it, he's focused on basketball. He'd do that in most places. Give him the key I say!

cggonzaga
06-10-2013, 03:25 PM
His decision will be an interesting one to me. I think the one big selling point GU can offer that the others can't is that he doesn't have to worry about being recruited over. He'll get plenty of playing time his freshman year even though Kevin, Gary and Gerard will be seniors. After that though this program is his until he leaves. I did read that they want to make a decision by August so at least we shouldn't have to wait too long before a decision.

jazzdelmar
06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
His decision will be an interesting one to me. I think the one big selling point GU can offer that the others can't is that he doesn't have to worry about being recruited over. He'll get plenty of playing time his freshman year even though Kevin, Gary and Gerard will be seniors. After that though this program is his until he leaves. I did read that they want to make a decision by August so at least we shouldn't have to wait too long before a decision.

But if he's truly a one and done prospect won't he get queued behind KP as a frosh? In any case, his dad sounds like he's aces. If he were the athlete being pursued GU might have a verbal already. 😁

cggonzaga
06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Again Jazz, Dad nor prospect has ever said he's one and done. Only the geniuses here at GU Boards.

Worthington
06-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Kentucky, they'll have their pick of the top point guards and Perkins is probably at least 3rd on their wish list. He has to like the playing time situation better here than at UCLA, considering he'll have to compete with Zach Lavine and Kyle Anderson for minutes.

bostonzagfan
06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
come be the king of the castle

GorgeZag
06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Kentucky, they'll have their pick of the top point guards and Perkins is probably at least 3rd on their wish list. He has to like the playing time situation better here than at UCLA, considering he'll have to compete with Zach Lavine and Kyle Anderson for playing time.

99% on this board think Pangos and Bell are better than Levine and Anderson, so your arguement doesnt hold much water unless he's fine with being the 3rd guard for a year. Fews much talked about senior loyalty, almost assures him being the 3rd guard in this case. Of course with our current lack of dominant bigs, a 3 guard lineup isn't out of the question.

Worthington
06-10-2013, 11:00 PM
99% on this board think Pangos and Bell are better than Levine and Anderson, so your arguement doesnt hold much water unless he's fine with being the 3rd guard for a year. Fews much talked about senior loyalty, almost assures him being the 3rd guard in this case. Of course with our current lack of dominant bigs, a 3 guard lineup isn't out of the question.

Yes true, but Lavine and Anderson will only be in their 2nd and 3rd years by the time Perkins would be there, so if you look at it that way GU seems like the better option. However, I'm sure Alford is telling him that those guys will be heading to the NBA sooner than later, which could be true, but I don't think is a given.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2013, 12:45 AM

You've forgotten about Coleman

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-11-2013, 02:37 AM
You've forgotten about Coleman

How many years of eligibility does Coleman have? Is it two or one? I'm sure that has been discussed, but I don't remember.

webspinnre
06-11-2013, 07:11 AM

cjm720
06-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about Kentucky, they'll have their pick of the top point guards and Perkins is probably at least 3rd on their wish list. He has to like the playing time situation better here than at UCLA, considering he'll have to compete with Zach Lavine and Kyle Anderson for playing time.

Perkins wouldn't compete for minutes with those guys. He's a different type of player.

Few would have no problem working Perkins in the lineup....

CDC84
06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
The people who are concerned about Perkins going elsewhere.....keep in mind that another Colorado prospect by the name of Matt Bouldin took awhile after his official visit to commit to the Zags. In between the time of his visit and his GU commitment his recruiting interest skyrocketed. Several heavy hitters were in the mix, and he became a top 50 player all over the place.

Patience.

DixieZag
06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
The people who are concerned about Perkins going elsewhere.....keep in mind that another Colorado prospect by the name of Matt Bouldin took awhile after his official visit to commit to the Zags. In between the time of his visit and his GU commitment his recruiting interest skyrocketed. Several heavy hitters were in the mix, and he became a top 50 player all over the place.

Patience.

Bingo. This prospect and this family will do nothing on impulse prior to all possibilities being examined. That is actually a good thing. He won't fall all over himself at Kentucky, either.

Few isn't going to line him up behind seniors just b/c of seniority. When we have had highly rated recruits in the past, they started right away, Daye - Pangos come to mind. I suspect that all three would start, Pangos/Bell/ and Perkins. And even past concerns cannot be weighed properly b/c we have never had a recruit this highly rated.

IF we are going to be the one it will be because of that stability and intimacy. Someone as focused as him might well see the "big time" of UCLA and Kentucky and all the side effects entailed, as a risk. He doesn't seem willing to risk his future. It could well be laid all out before him here.

MississppiZag
06-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Daye came off the bench, behind David Pendergraft.

The509sfinest
06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
"@JoshPerkins03: It's been real! Had a amazing time with the zag community! Thanks for everything!" Via Josh's twitter account....can't tell if he actually is considering and likes it or likes it and had a good experience but wouldn't stay here...

cggonzaga
06-11-2013, 09:46 AM
I suspect that all three would start, Pangos/Bell/ and Perkins.

You clearly haven't seen Coleman play yet. Get the feeling many in the zag community don't realize what we have in Coleman.

77Zag
06-11-2013, 10:04 AM
You clearly haven't seen Coleman play yet. Get the feeling many in the zag community don't realize what we have in Coleman.

Agreed....Coleman will surprise many. Saw Coleman at last years Kraziness at the Kennel. He is fearless and loves to go to the hoop. Not sure the Zags have seen this type for some time.

Go Zags!

cjm720
06-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Even if we had a three guard line up and each playing 30minutes, that'd give Perkins 25 minutes-ish which is quite a bit for a freshman.

cggonzaga
06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Even if we had a three guard line up and each playing 30minutes, that'd give Perkins 25 minutes-ish which is quite a bit for a freshman.

Totally agree.

Agreed....Coleman will surprise many. Saw Coleman at last years Kraziness at the Kennel. He is fearless and loves to go to the hoop. Not sure the Zags have seen this type for some time.

I've heard some great things this offseason as well. He will definitely help relieve some of the worries about KO and E leaving. Different player than those 2 but the scoring and rebounding will still be there along with good perimeter defense. I've also heard Angel is developing into quite the player.

cjm720
06-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Totally agree.

I've heard some great things this offseason as well. He will definitely help relieve some of the worries about KO and E leaving. Different player than those 2 but the scoring and rebounding will still be there along with good perimeter defense. I've also heard Angel is developing into quite the player.

Any news on Angel's issue with concussions? Is he playing pick up games? Can't recall what his medical limitations are...

sittingon50
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
He was cleared for full contact before the regular season was over, IIRC.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks.