PDA

View Full Version : 2014: I Think Few Will Get...

BobZag
06-07-2013, 10:19 AM
PG - Casey Benson
SG - Trey Kell & Silas Melson
SF - Donavan Dorsey
PF - Unknown Kid maybe Sabonis

Aim lower, hope for higher.

cjm720
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I thought Sabonis was a 2013...either way would love to nab him. Really like Dorsey too.

Hoping for Perkins in 2014.

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
I never heard of Trey Kell (not that that is indicative of anything) can you fill in fill me in, BZ? And, if that were the complete class of recruits for 2014 - what grade would folks give him?

Thx

ZagZombie
06-07-2013, 11:39 AM
With all the expectations and excitement surrounding the 2014 recruiting class I would find this to be quite underwhelming. Especially coming off one of the best seasons in program history that is the best the coaching staff could come up with? Dont get me started on the 2013 class either. I would be thrilled to see Trey Kell here but overall this would be a C- rating for me, considering who we were recruiting and the amount of success this program achieves each year.

jazzdelmar
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Out.

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I like those guys but I disagree BZ:

IMO, always aim high, but be reasonable. If you can't hit a home run, at least aim for the gap. Few swings according to the pitches he's given. Good hitters do that and get more walks that way too. Few works just as hard on his plan B and C as he does on his plan A. Every kid deserves to believe they are plan A.

Aim high, hope for higher. If you aim low you will usually get low.

cggonzaga
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
That's a strong GU class, maybe top 3 of all time. It's not a strong national level class though. We need at least 2 of Perkins, Wright, Pope and Travis then you add 3 solid guys in Kell/Melson/Benson/Dorsey/Sabonis/Whomever. That's a terrific national top 10 class.

maynard g krebs
06-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Ducks are also recruiting Sabonis, and a professional talent evaluator who posts on their boards compared him to a young Detlef Schrempf the other day.

Dorsey is the only one I have seen and he's the real deal. Potentially best 3 since Adam. As I predicted after seeing him in March, he's now climbed into top 100 lists and I think by the end of summer he'll be in the 60-75 range.

Aren't Melson and Benson both in top 150 on some lists?

Sounds like one of the better Zag classes to me.

Portland, Jazz? Um, ok.

MTZag03
06-07-2013, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;916635]Ducks are also recruiting Sabonis, and a professional talent evaluator who posts on their boards compared him to a young Detlef Schrempf the other day.QUOTE]

Am I the only one starting to get irritated at UO getting in the mix on the same recruits as us? It's a little sad since I always liked them as they are the arch rival of UW.

MTZag03
06-07-2013, 01:31 PM
That's a strong GU class, maybe top 3 of all time. It's not a strong national level class though. We need at least 2 of Perkins, Wright, Pope and Travis then you add 3 solid guys in Kell/Melson/Benson/Dorsey/Sabonis/Whomever. That's a terrific national top 10 class.

I'm really hoping for Perkins and Pope. We get those 2 and a good PF like Sabonis and that's a ridiculous class. One can hope. For all the pessimists, we have brought in some talent before such as Daye, Bell, Sacre, and Gray (I'm completely ignoring the under the radar guys of course). Wasn't Daye a 5 star? I remember Sacre was 4.

webspinnre
06-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Dorsey, Sabnois and Melson would be quite nice. Don't know much about Benson or Kell.

thespywhozaggedme
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
PG - Casey Benson
SG - Trey Kell & Silas Melson
SF - Donavan Dorsey
PF - Unknown Kid maybe Sabonis

Sounds like a great class; I'd be quite happy with that haul.

cggonzaga
06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm not as big a Benson fan as some are around here. Kell can flat out stroke it. I think he'll be rising up boards quickly.

Worthington
06-07-2013, 03:07 PM
that'd be a great recruiting haul......for Portland.

#clueless

That would be a very good recruiting class...in terms of rankings it would be right on par or even better than the 2011 class. It's a lot more likely a class than some of the dream scenarios we have, but if we could even grab one of the 4/5 star recruits to go along with those guys then we would be in excellent shape.

GUZag08
06-07-2013, 03:10 PM
that'd be a great recruiting haul......for Portland.

I feel bad for the kid in your picture because everyone is starting to hate him by association

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I feel bad for the kid in your picture because everyone is starting to hate him by association

Although you may dislike Jazz's frank opinions and devils advocate charm, projecting that to his younglings isn't cool.

Zagdawg
06-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I translated 08s post to mean..."I don't agree with the Portland comparison".

I am sure it was just a little bit of wit that went into the delivery.

We all know jazz and take his posts with the levity they are meant to deliver-- (well most of us find ourselves laughing at them).

Ya gotta have a sense of humor on this board-- otherwise you will go crazy.

One Big Happy Zag Family!!

Go Zags

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I translated 08s post to mean..."I don't agree with the Portland comparison".

I am sure it was just a little bit of wit that went into the delivery.

We all know jazz and take his posts with the levity they are meant to deliver-- (well most of us find ourselves laughing at them).

Ya gotta have a sense of humor on this board-- otherwise you will go crazy.

One Big Happy Zag Family!!

Go Zags

I know, and most of us have a thick skin too, but Jazz might not see it that way. I wouldn't if that was my kid or grandkid. Thats all I'm sayin. kids, family and wife should be off limits and I not for one second projected anything Jazz ever said to his avatar.

I wonder how many people hate the Hal9000 because of me. (2001 A Space Odyssey, a movie long before its time.)

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Alright, enough about Jazz's pessimism - probably nothing is more well documented.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention (maybe?), but that seems like a lot of signees, five total? Is that the going assumption - and is that due to the likelihood of Karno leaving?

I love Karno and think he has loads of potential, I just think that he needs more than one additional year at GU - on the other hand, the NBA's proclivity to draft purely on future potential rather than known talent never ceases to mystify me.

MDABE80
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Those are the types of kid we turn into great players.

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Karno will be here in 2014-15.

I personally hope Karno goes off for 20p/10r every game and we go undefeated with our elite backcourt and soon to be deep frontcourt and he goes #1 in the draft..

But I think Edwards may surprise. If he can just hold his own and spell Karno or Dower as a freshman, we may be looking at another top 10 team.

I really believe it. Pangos and Bell are going to dominate next year, as is Dower and Karno.

thespywhozaggedme
06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Karno will be here in 2014-15.

I personally hope Karno goes off for 20p/10r every game and we go undefeated with our elite backcourt and soon to be deep frontcourt and he goes #1 in the draft..

But I think Edwards may surprise. If he can just hold his own and spell Karno or Dower as a freshman, we may be looking at another top 10 team.

I really believe it. Pangos and Bell are going to dominate next year, as is Dower and Karno.

While not always agreeing with you, I love your enthusiasm and optimism. On oe end we have Jazz and you're on the other. :D