PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards to Montana-Wyoming All-Star Game

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 06:34 PM
This weekend, per the Ravalli Republic (http://www.ravallirepublic.com/article_688278f0-7dec-5e32-b5f3-70315ac5bde6.html?comment_form=true).
Kalispell Glacier 7-footer says farewell to Montana hoops with all-star series

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/ravallirepublic.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/04/6049f78a-b414-5843-9c0b-2eeeb582dc67/51b1368063aaa.preview-620.jpg
The only true western Montanan in the bunch with the farthest to travel, he and eight other recently graduated boys will face off against a conglomerate Wyoming side this weekend. Both the boys’ and girls’ games are Friday in Sheridan, Wyo., and Saturday in Billings.

Edwards gives Team Montana a game changer, a monster in the middle as adept at altering shots on defense as putting the ball in the basket on the other end of the floor. There aren’t many prep players in the state who have hit the 7-foot plateau, but Edwards knows that club won’t be so exclusive where he’s headed next.

After his junior year, Edwards verbally committed to Gonzaga in the summer and made it official last November when he planted his signature on a national letter of intent. All that came before he led the Wolfpack to a Western AA regular-season basketball title, averaging about 13 points and 11 rebounds per game. But his new team has a 7-footer who will return next season – sophomore Przemek Karnowski (7-1).

“I’ve never really played or practiced against anybody my height,” Edwards said mid-week while en route to Billings for all-star practices. “It’s going to be interesting. I’ve always been abnormally taller than anyone else.”

After a season of junior varsity ball – time to mature physically and mentally, his coach said – Edwards made his varsity debut as a sophomore. Despite his size, Harkins was impressed with the young post player’s light touch with the ball.

“He has real quick feet and real soft hands,” Harkins said. “That’s one of the things that attracted Gonzaga to him right away. He catches everything.”

Edwards knows his style differs from that of many players his size – as well as from the expectations of those who see him line up for tip off.

“More like finesse than power,” he said of his approach on offense. “The hooks and jumpers rather than going up strong. I like those kind of styles better.”

There’s an old adage in basketball circles: You can’t teach size. With nature’s gift of arms that reach for the rim in place, Harkins started crafting the full player. You can teach versatility, it turns out.

“At first all he wanted to do was catch the basketball and turn and shoot it over people, but he developed a game with his back to the basket,” the coach said. “The other thing about Ryan, he was so unselfish with the basketball. At times I would have liked to have him be more selfish with the ball because I think he could dominate the post.”

That may be a still-evolving part of his game, though Edwards said Gonzaga coaches have spoken with him about playing as much of a 5 position for the team as a 4 – meaning he’ll be a hybrid of colossal rim-crashing center and outside-shooting power forward. That he can handle. It’s the speed of the college game that Edwards expects to be the greater change and challenge.

“It’ll be different. You know high school, especially with Glacier, we had fast break moments. But we kind of didn’t at the same time,” he said of the Wolfpack’s deliberate pace. “In college, the whole thing is like a fast break.”

zag buddy
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Tx ZN. I am really looking for special things to come from Ryan once he matures phsically. I believe with his work ethic and the competetion in practice he will develope quite nicely.

Malastein
06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
So when do we start bagging on the kid? He seems like a good kid, and hopefully he'll be in that Cory Violette school of development. From Chunk to Chisel!

Oregonzagnut
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Wow, he barely looks 17 in that photo. But he has the body type and build to be a bruiser (after some chunk loss). I trust Few to know what the kid can do or at least his potential.

bigblahla
06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
If he can develop his game to be as good as his attitude Coach may deserve mucho kudos for this Diamond.

Go!! Zags!!!

Saxon_zag
06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
7 footer that thinks he is better off being "finesse" with the hook shots and such than going up strong. Not trying to be rude but UGHHHHHHH.

Ryan, your "finesse" game may work in the montana high school leagues but once you get to gonzaga, it's time to go up strong.. I hate watching our 7 footers missing layins

thespywhozaggedme
06-06-2013, 11:44 PM
“More like finesse than power,” he said of his approach on offense. “The hooks and jumpers rather than going up strong. I like those kind of styles better.”

:argh::argh::argh:

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Good lord, people crying about a comment regarding his preference in high school ball!

Having never seen him play or knowing a thing about his game, it sure does seem like we are getting a very mature incoming freshman.

GoZags
06-07-2013, 05:58 AM
So when do we start bagging on the kid?

There's a segment of "we" that won't bag on the kid. There's another, much tinier segment that started on Ryan six months (or so) ago.

I'm pretty sure they'd have also shared their "expertise" when Todd Maculloch (another UTR big that Ray G found) showed up at Washington out of Shaftesbury High School in Manitoba. Turns out college coaching and hard work paid off for Todd. Hope the same is true for Ray's most recent "find" -- Ryan Edwards.

Angelo Roncalli
06-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Good lord, people crying about a comment regarding his preference in high school ball!

Recidivists.

Zagdawg
06-07-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm thinking that Kelly was a bit of an outside guy at first-- the staff was able to get him in the weight room and find him a bit more of an inside game.

Ryan will be fine.

hooter73
06-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Look forward to seeing what he can do. His game will change and the best part about him seems to be his willingness to adapt.

but another 7 footer that doesnt want to mix it up and dunk? We've been through that rodeo too many times to count. sigh.

We beat it out of Sacre and KO, we can beat it out of Edwards:lmao:

maynard g krebs
06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Todd MacCulloch wasn't a "go up strong" kind of player, and he led the NCAA at least twice and maybe 3 times in fg% at 65-66%. A guy with touch and quick feet but not much athleticism, as Edwards is described, is better off playing the way he describes himself.

With the amount of "physical" post play allowed now, guys miss just as much or more going to the rim. If a 7 footer has an effective hook shot or jump hook and can make turnaround jumpers from 6-10 feet at a high rate, he's going to be effective.

There are different ways to play basketball effectively. JP Batista wasn't exactly known for dunking on people either.

Just A Zag
06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm just hoping for John Bryant. I'd feel really good if he turned into that type of player.

BJZags
06-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Being he was "abnormally" taller than everyone else in AA Montana ball, he probably didn't need to "power it up" to get the job done. Would be like hanging on the rim in nerf-hoop.

cjm720
06-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Ryan, work hard and everything will fall into place. Can't wait to see you in a Zag uni.

GoZags
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Ryan, work hard and everything will fall into place. Can't wait to see you in a Zag uni.

This.

zagamatic
06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
It seems to me that college officials reward smaller players who flop more than bigger players who power it through. And for that reason I'm totally ok with Ryan coming in with a finesse game. Let him learn what he can and can't get away with without fouling out in ten minutes. As long as he stands his ground on defense, it's all good to me.
After all, I can't remember how many cheap fouls guys like Sacre and Karnowski have picked up because smaller players just bounce off of them. Plus, in high school where he has no pier as far as size goes, he would have fouled out of every game if he was a banger.
Just my two bits.

titopoet
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
7 footer that thinks he is better off being "finesse" with the hook shots and such than going up strong. Not trying to be rude but UGHHHHHHH.

Ryan, your "finesse" game may work in the montana high school leagues but once you get to gonzaga, it's time to go up strong.. I hate watching our 7 footers missing layins

Kelly, your "finesse" game may work in the Kamloops high school leagues but once you get to gonzaga, it's time to go up strong.. I hate watching our 7 footers missing layins

or

Tim Ducan, your "finesse" game may work in the St. Dunstan's Episcopal High School high school leagues but once you get to Wake Forest, it's time to go up strong.. I hate watching our 7 footers missing layins

Saxon_zag
06-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Kelly, your "finesse" game may work in the Kamloops high school leagues but once you get to gonzaga, it's time to go up strong.. I hate watching our 7 footers missing layins

or

Tim Ducan, your "finesse" game may work in the St. Dunstan's Episcopal High School high school leagues but once you get to Wake Forest, it's time to go up strong.. I hate watching our 7 footers missing layins

oh cmon.. weak comparison! 37 year old Tim Duncan still throws it down and you are talking one of the best finesse back to the basket players in this generation and a montana HS player. Not bagging on edwards at all just saying ATTACK the hoop man!

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 01:43 PM
The best players have both a power game and a finesse game.

ZagNative
06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Scouting report from ESPN's recruiting site (http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/168265/ryan-edwards):
Strengths:

Edwards is a true center that has great size and is a lane clogger. He is a good area rebounder and on the ball shot blocker that forces the offense to shoot over his huge post presence. Edwards good hands and decent post footwork that he uses to get off his hook shot and drop step through contact. Edwards is a smart player and has proven to be a good teammate as well.

Weaknesses:
Edwards will have to improve his mobility and conditioning in addition to being able to face up at times off the low post. He will also need to adjust to the speed of the game and adjust to the non stop physical play.

Bottom Line:
Edwards is true center with great size and intangibles. He is a factor immediately on the glass and defensively and he improves his conditioning expect to production to rapidly increase. Edwards has great upside and his best playing days undoubtably lie ahead.

Zagdawg
06-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Thank you ZagNative -- this made my day.

Nice to hear some positives about our incoming recruits.

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Interesting that the report says that he will be able to help on the glass "immediately" - - wonder if that means as soon as he enters the game - or as soon as he walks on campus.

Dunno, don't know a thing about him 'cept from here, it would be a huge bonus (to us) if he were able to play right away - not sure if that is the best thing long term for him.

BTB
06-07-2013, 04:25 PM
The more I read about Edwards the more he sounds like a player I am excited to see out on the court!

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Everything I read seems to imply that if he can lose weight and build stamina, he will be a force. That seems to be his only negative scouts can come up with.

A to Zags
06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Game just over. Ryan was MVP with 18 points with 8 of 10 free throws as Montana beat Wyoming in overtime. Ryan had first 6 points in OT and many rebounds.

GlacierZag
06-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Game just over. Ryan was MVP with 18 points with 8 of 10 free throws as Montana beat Wyoming in overtime. Ryan had first 6 points in OT and many rebounds.

Beat me to it. I enjoyed your update.

Ryan isn't used to playing basketball this time of year as never did play AAU ball.

I am excited to see how Ryan does with the coaching he'll receive at Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
06-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Thank you both for the update; good for Ryan. Where there any other D1 signees in the game?

ZagNative
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Game story from Billings paper (http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/montana-all-stars-hold-on-to-beat-wyoming-in-ot/article_fb7664f1-d36d-5169-a754-02733e95bc58.html). I was hoping for rebound numbers, but no such luck.

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Always like to see a guy rise up during better competition. Maybe not the intensity of his high school games, but definitely better talent.

Good for him! Congrats and we'll all see you soon.

thespywhozaggedme
06-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Game story from Billings paper (http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/montana-all-stars-hold-on-to-beat-wyoming-in-ot/article_fb7664f1-d36d-5169-a754-02733e95bc58.html). I was hoping for rebound numbers, but no such luck.

Your link says he scored 16, not 18 points. Either way, he was the high scorer for his team, second highest in the game.

Zagdawg
06-08-2013, 06:40 AM
D1 Players on Wyoming:

Xavier Webb 6' 8" committed to Mississippi three star recruit (Mr. Wyoming)
Tyler Loose recruited by Chapman University, Nebraska Wesleyan, Bethel College

That was what I could find.

thespywhozaggedme
06-08-2013, 07:42 AM
D1 Players on Wyoming:

Thanks, yeah, Xavier Webb looks like a pretty good prospect from Wyoming.

hooter73
06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
good for him! And it is true that playing with upper level guys will get you farther. Good looks from real point guards so the big man can score. Help from real forwards to box out and get rebounds, etc...

DixieZag
06-08-2013, 10:17 AM
D1 Players on Wyoming:

Not that bad for a rural state with less people than the Spokane/CDA area total.

Tom117
06-09-2013, 07:16 AM
You have to remember that Kareem Abdul Jabbar made his living off a hook shot. Finesse is not an anathema to the post position.

Reborn
06-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks for a very good thread on Ryan. I enjoyed the positives that were written about him here. I have never understood why so many fans posting here have been bashing him. Since when have we bashed kids coming from smaller schools? I believe that the Gonzaaga program was built by recruiting kids like Ryan. It sounds to me like the kid is good, and he appears to have played quite well in an All-Star game between two states. I'm sure that some of you remember a kid name David Pendograft (we called him Pendo for so long I'm not sure if I spelled his name correctly. David came from a very small school in the wilderness of North Central Washington. He played for a small B school called Brewster. And How about Derik Ravio? Wherever he came from is so small I don't even remember where it was. And didn't Blake Step come from Alaska? And John Stockton and Adam Morrison came from a little bit bigger city that would still be considered small, Spokane, and both were unknown high school stars. The list goes on and on. For some reason there is a fair amount of posters here who can only see goodness in the 4 and 5 star athletes, and that's where all their focus is, and all their disappointments and angst during the recruiting season. This board, for me, most of the time has been so negative lately that I always hesitate to come and post, and spend days away from here. When I do come there is always a handful of bloggers here that yu see every time. what used to be an interesting public forum has recently been turned into a Monday Morning QB club (substitute basketball for football). I'd love to see the basketball credentials of all these whiners posting here. I sincerely hope we can keep our recruits and new players away from this board because if I were some of the recruits and new players like Edwards I sure would hate to read some of the crap posted here. I think the moderaters need to take a look at this. I know I hate the idea of monitoring this board more, but there are some pretty irresponsible wriing goin on here. After awhile most people get tired of all the whining going on....and I hope it stops, but know it won't. I just thought I'd add my two cents here. IMO the criticism of Edwards has been unwarrented. And should stop. give this kid a chance and try supporting and encouraging him. It might help him.

Zagdawg
06-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Well said Reborn.

Go Zags

titopoet
06-10-2013, 07:17 AM
He had 10 points in the return game as Montana won for a second time on Sat. http://www.mtprepsports.com/story/?s=http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/local_montana/article_e49fb2a6-d0c7-11e2-9775-001a4bcf887a.html

What interested me is that in the two games Wyoming hit 28 3 points shots and tried so many more to stay in the game. It looks like the Wyoming all stars had little game on the inside. Speculation, but did Ryan clog the middle as to nullify the inside? Really can't tell. But if so, he may be the steal of the recruiting wars. That is what he will be called to do next year, play tough and big and give a blow to Karno. What the famed trainers at GU do for his game?

I think their will be some crow be shared by some of the neg nellies.

cjm720
06-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Good post reborn. Like many businesses, the tone gets set from the top and there's been a lot of whining lately.

UberZagFan
06-10-2013, 01:43 PM
There's a difference between a finesse post player and a post player that plays the perimeter. IUHO, nothing wrong with a 7 footer that has a finesse game. Just don't do it on the defensive end or the boards.

KStyles
06-10-2013, 01:59 PM
D1 Players on Wyoming:

I think that may have been a different Xavier Webb from Tennessee who committed to Ole Miss (http://rivals.yahoo.com/olemiss/basketball/recruiting/player-Xavier-Webb-27653) in 2004.

The Xavier Webb that was named Mr. Wyoming Basketball (http://wyopreps.com/wyoming-boys-all-stars-unable-to-contain-montanas-big-man-in-overtime/) Friday night will be playing for Sheridan College next year, at least according to this article in the Sheridan press from April (http://thesheridanpress.com/?p=2966).

Riverton High School standout Xavier Webb joins an impressive Sheridan College recruiting class.

Webb (6’0”, 175) signed with the the Generals basketball team after he helped the Wolverines to a 4A runner-up finish at the state tournament in March.

ZagFanInNC
06-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't see a problem with a 7'er with a finesse game/ soft hands and good feet.

I would guess it is easier to teach a big man to be physical than it is to teach them how to be coordinated.

Good luck Ryan!

BobZag
06-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Keep working hard. I'd be thrilled if he could become a John Bryant type. Seems he can. It's all about hard work and dedication.

Kiddwell
06-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Keep working hard. I'd be thrilled if he could become a John Bryant type. Seems he can. It's all about hard work and dedication.

At minimum a "John Bryant" with a bit more hops, a bit more athleticism, pretty please.

:]

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Well said Reborn.

Go Zags

Yup.

This kid has a lot of potential. Gonzaga does a very good job of developing post players to reach their potential.