PDA

View Full Version : recruiting threads suck

realtydog
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
At the time I posted this there were seven different threads regarding kids who may or may not have actual interest in GU on the front page alone!!--Namon Wright, Reid Travis, Dominic Woodson, Silas Melson, Sabonis, Kendall Small, Perkins*********This has gotten stupid---every time GU is listed somewhere we start a thread---whether its a kid on the east coast all of us know will never come or some west coast kid with UCLA on the brain---why get excited about a kid who has never made a trip here or even planned a trip here (with an actual firm date)----why do we keep starting these pointless threads, which always drift to an argument over something else besides the kid anyway (because at heart we know the chances are BS)

Oregonzagnut
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
why do we keep starting these pointless threads

Look at your calendar. I am pretty sure we are in the dead zone in the ocean of the off-season. Just sailing through the flotsam and jetsam of our collective venting until cold hard facts begin to arrive.

Land Ho! Only 5 short months away!

HenneZag
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
If you don't like 'em, then you don't have to read them. Some of us get excited about the possibility of having some of these guys you mentioned actually commit to GU, even if they are a long shot. Perkins is visiting this weekend, and Reid Travis the end of the month so a growing excitement has emerged. Regarding some of the other fellas...well it's all speculation, but who cares we all approach this from a different way...some negative and some see positives.

Nothing about a recruit is certain until they sign the dotted line, so maybe we should only start recruiting threads when we actually get a commitment.

I do agree that threads get redirected from the original focus, but oh well.

#1bulldogfan
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
you see such a post the solution is easy. Do not read the post headline of such a post is easy to identify. Many (like myself) enjoy reading and following potential recruit through out the off season. What I do not enjoy is
post like yours belittling fans like myself. Hint, read what ya want let the rest do the same.......

Oregonzagnut
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
the PC method of voicing that very opinion, is to just post the word "Tacos" and then let that suffice. If you have enough pull around here the threads seem to just get locked or deleted.

Unless it is a thread about Tacos, which there are. Mmmmmm, Tacos........:drool:

75Zag
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
On Saturday at noon at the Portland Hilton I am going to have my quarterly lunch with my basketball buddies. I am the only GU guy. There are two Kansas grads, one Duke grad, my current law partner from Michigan State, a former law partner from U of W (ha, ha, ha), two local guys from UCLA, a woman from Stanford, a good friend from Nike (also known as Oregon), a woman from Cal, and my former law partner from Harvard (obviously a loser). We talk about who is going to dominate the NCAAs next year. Fortunately I don't know anybody from Kentucky, and the guy from Louisville is on vacation.

I am trying really, really hard to construct a convincing argument as to why GU's 2013 face flop was a one-in-a-lifetime error, and that in 2014 and beyond GU is going to take the entire NCAA by storm and slap the rest of them in the face. Sort of the "trending up" argument mentioned on another thread. To be honest, I don't think I have anything to say except

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Sometimes you just need to know when to fly under the radar for a bit-- give them the old "We will see what the Zags will do this year".

I did the lunch thing a few weeks back with a Michigan alum, Syracuse alum, a BYU alum and an Arizona alum. The message that I got from my coworkers was -- "It was a tough tourney for the Zags--but we are sure they will bounce back like they always do".

Maybe they just did not want to rub it in and were taking the higher road----(yeah right-- not a chance that would happen).

It's funny how the doom and gloom resonates here on the board more than in the rest of the country.

Go Zags

kclubfounder
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
At the time I posted this there were seven different threads regarding kids who may or may not have actual interest in GU on the front page alone!!--Namon Wright, Reid Travis, Dominic Woodson, Silas Melson, Sabonis, Kendall Small, Perkins*********This has gotten stupid---every time GU is listed somewhere we start a thread---whether its a kid on the east coast all of us know will never come or some west coast kid with UCLA on the brain---why get excited about a kid who has never made a trip here or even planned a trip here (with an actual firm date)----why do we keep starting these pointless threads, which always drift to an argument over something else besides the kid anyway (because at heart we know the chances are BS)

Do you miss the "I like Few, but he can't coach the big game" threads? How about the "Gonzaga fans are satisfied with being mediocre" threads? Perhaps it is the "The Kennel Club doesn't have the same heart as the olden days" threads that you long for?

If so, don't worry, soon enough those and all the familiar regular threads will return with a vengeance.

Malastein
06-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Ye of 189 posts, instead of complaining about the threads, why don't you propose discussions of greater interest to yourself and others. For now, it seems there's not much to discuss otherwise.

zag67
06-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Of the recruits that we read about, I truthfully believe that probably only one of them might be a zag. But it is fun to read about all of them because I like to read about very good basketball players. Now we are going to have two or three of them come for a visit. Five years ago we would have none of the players at this level even look at our program. We have come a long way and the coaches, fans, and previous zag players should be proud of where we are. So I say keep the recruiting info coming and if a person is going to be depressed about loosing 8 out of 10 recruits, then take the summer off and wait until things settle down.

webspinnre
06-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Its the offseason, what else are we going to talk about? I love talking about recruits, even if most of them never come here, it means I know more about players on other teams than I otherwise would have.

ZagaZags
06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Its the offseason, what else are we going to talk about? I love talking about recruits, even if most of them never come here, it means I know more about players on other teams than I otherwise would have.

The Wichita State game. I would rather talk about recruits.

JAGzag
06-07-2013, 04:58 AM
I'm going to start a new thread complaining about new threads.

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 05:38 AM

So funny, I was going to post, "would you rather talk about our last game?"

I guess it was pretty obvious - still funny though.

Zagdawg
06-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Or.....has anyone seen any good movies lately?

Any good taco or pizza joints around?

Lot's of things to talk about.

sdzag
06-07-2013, 06:41 AM
http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/c/c4/Bazinga.jpg

Oregonzagnut
06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/c/c4/Bazinga.jpg

TBH, I prefer the recruiting threads from the good old days of last week.

realtydog
06-07-2013, 09:58 AM
I get it---I guess my rant stems from my own frustration of a perceived lack of honest interest from profile kids---I guess I'm just disappointed because I thought the program climbed one step higher last year and that would have translated into GU being told "no thanks" less----I like reading about kids that GU likes as much as they like GU---like the Moser threads, they were fun to keep track of--it's just all the other pointless mentions I never get, BUT, I will keep my mouth shut the next time a kid from Texas includes us with 20 other schools he has interest in, carry on, I'll climb back into my bunker

Malastein
06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I get it---I guess my rant stems from my own frustration of a perceived lack of honest interest from profile kids---I guess I'm just disappointed because I thought the program climbed one step higher last year and that would have translated into GU being told "no thanks" less----I like reading about kids that GU likes as much as they like GU---like the Moser threads, they were fun to keep track of--it's just all the other pointless mentions I never get, BUT, I will keep my mouth shut the next time a kid from Texas includes us with 20 other schools he has interest in, carry on, I'll climb back into my bunker

They climbed a step higher, but took a step back down by losing early as a number 1 seed.

ZagZombie
06-07-2013, 11:45 AM

How about that Butler game?