PDA

View Full Version : PMAC Article

ZagNative
08-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Charleston Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.com/story/Sports/MU+Sports/2007081751)

August 17, 2007
Herd basketball welcomes newcomers
By Chuck Landon
Daily Mail sportswriter

Marshall Coach Donnie Jones will welcome six new players to the Herd's basketball program when classes begin Monday.

"First, we'll have Pierre Marie Altidor-Cespedes," said Jones during the annual "Paint The Capital City Green" rally Wednesday night in Charleston. "Call him P-Mac. He transferred from Gonzaga and he'll be our point guard."

In fact, Altidor-Cespedes will be Marshall's only true point guard.

There were unconfirmed reports of junior college point guard Travis Mathis, who once had committed to Clemson, joining the Herd, but Jones reported that the junior college transfer "didn't qualify academically."

So, P-Mac will be an iron man at the point next season.

"We'll need 30 minutes per game from him," Jones said. "We will back him up by committee. Daryl Merthie had a great summer and (incoming recruit) Matt Walls can play there some, too."
It would be neat to see PMAC have a really great year and increase his stock. Just one more reason why this year will be all-basketball-all-the-time.

SWZag
08-17-2007, 12:11 PM
PMAC will get what is well deserved. I think he is going to have a spectacular season and will be running that offense like we all knew he could. I think he'll be having a ton of fun out getting minutes and being the leader of the team. I'm a Marshall fan for a year, that's for certain. Let's go get'm PMAC.

FuManShoes
08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
GU faces Marshall in the Big Dance? Oh boy ....

I've very excited to see how the Marshall experiment works.

sittingon50
08-17-2007, 02:07 PM
So I'm assuming they'll look to him as a distributer first. Suits him well.

Tear it up, PMAC.

NJZag
08-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Found a few clues to their schedule here

http://marshall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2236&tid=98691643&mid=98691643&sid=1082&style=2

Looks like Princeton goes to MU this year to round out what appears to have been a home-and-home series, so maybe no local games to see P-MAC in a green uni. Tempting to make the trip to see that game, however. P-MAC on one side, former G'town assistant now in charge of the Tigers. Hmmmm.... if I do, I'll get some YouTube footage from it and post.

MDABE80
08-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Hope he does well. Could be one of our best advertisements;).........not to seem mercenary.

FuManShoes
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I misunderstood how the Marshall Plan would work. According to this article, PMAC is the only one of the high-level transfers who is eligible to play this year. I was looking forward to him dishing the ball to a team full of high major vagabonds, but it doesn't appear that will be possible. Nonetheless, I wish PMAC well and look forward to following the Herd this year.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/SPORTS0302/707200367/1002/SPORTS

Jones brings winning formula
By Rick McCann
The Herald-Dispatch

ASHLAND -- Donnie Jones is following the Florida model, and why not?

Jones was on the University of Florida men's basketball coaching staff for 11 seasons, nine NCAA tournament appearances, one national runner-up finish and the past two national championships.

Florida had been to the NCAA tournament only five times before head coach Billy Donovan arrived with Jones at his side.

Now, Jones is the Marshall University head coach. The Thundering Herd has five NCAA tournament appearances in its history.

It begins with players.

"We're looking for kids that have passion," Jones said Thursday at Bellefonte Country Club where he spoke at the monthly meeting of The Breakfast Club, a group of area businessmen. "At Florida we had good players, but we had kids with passion.

"We're trying to bring in competitors and kids who play an up-tempo style, but we're also trying to bring in good people."

Jones was hired in April and immediately set out recruiting players for a team that was 13-19 last season.

One of the catches was 6-foot, 182-pound Pierre Marie Altidor-Cespedes, a transfer from Gonzaga University, who is enrolling as a graduate student after playing three seasons with the Bulldogs. Altidor-Cespedes won an NCAA appeal and was grandfathered into the rule that allowed a student-athlete to transfer and play immediately if they graduate and still have a fifth year of eligibility remaining.

The 22-year-old from Montreal, Quebec, got in under the deadline because the one-time graduate transfer rule was rescinded.

Altidor-Cespedes was part of three NCAA tournament teams at Gonzaga.

The player known as "P-Mac" will be the Marshall point guard, Jones said.

"He played the off-guard for them, but really he's a point guard," Jones said. "They were in the Top 10 in the country all three years. He's been in big games. He knows what it takes."

Jones also brought along a player from the Florida Gators.

Brandon Powell, a 6-3, 187-pound reserve player for the national champions as a freshman, arrived at Marshall as a transfer with three years of eligibility left. He will sit out the 2007-08 season.

Powell and Florida footballl player Brandon James were arrested in June for purchasing less than 20 grams of marijuana, but the Alachua County (Fla.) State Attorney's office dropped felony charges. The players still face misdemeanor charges.

"Brandon Powell is an athlete," Jones said. "He's a winner. And he has three years to play for us."

Marshall picked up another transfer from Georgetown University, 6-7, 230-pound Octavius "Tay" Spann, who is the brother of Herd football player Emmanuel Spann.

Spann is also sitting out the the 2007-08 season after playing two seasons with the Hoyas. He averaged only 2.3 minutes per game for this year's NCAA Final Four team.

"He's a quality young man," Jones said. "He got caught in the shuffle. They had a lot of players there."

Chris Lutz, a 6-foot-2 shooting guard will also sit out next season as a transfer from Purdue University and has two years of eligibility. Lutz led the Big Ten Conference in three-point shooting accuracy last season, making 58 of 124 for 47.2 percent.

Jones said Lutz was a transfer looking for a change.

Marshall also signed North Carolina prep school player Tirrell Baines and Scott County (Ky.) High School guard Matt Walls. Two other recruits -- California junior college teammates Mookie Pierre and Emmanuel Jones had eligibility problems and were released.

"The biggest thing for our guys is to know they're all like freshmen to me," Jones said. "They're all new to me and I'm new to all of them."

The Marshall coaching staff hits the recruiting trail once more this summer for a 10-day evaluation period beginning Sunday with a stop in Las Vegas.

Jones said he received an invitation from Phoenix Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni to watch the U.S. national team practice at its Las Vegas mini-camp. D'Antoni, a former Marshall point guard, is assisting with the team led by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski.

sanfranzagsguy20
08-18-2007, 10:03 AM
The player known as "P-Mac" will be the Marshall point guard, Jones said.

"He played the off-guard for them, but really he's a point guard," Jones said. "They were in the Top 10 in the country all three years. He's been in big games. He knows what it takes."

i must have missed last season when we cracked the top 10...

look i liked p-mac just as much as the next guy but if this coach thinks he is getting a big star i think he'll be extremely disappointed

to me it sounds like a coach who is trying to rally a program and its fan base...that top 10 remark makes me feel like he's reaching...

like i said p-mac has great ability but he's not a savior of a program especially for just one season...contrary to popular belief he did have some opportunites here and he did not take advantage of them and was beaten out by better players...

good get for marshall but i'll be surprised if he averages double figures...

this is just my opinion

Nevtelen
08-18-2007, 10:44 AM
PMAC will be playing 30 mins a game and almost his whole season will be against WCC level talent or worse. He might or might not score in double figures (I don't know what other weapons Marshall has), but I think his stats will be way up overall. If he isn't scoring in double figures, his assists will be through the roof, being the only pg they have and all.

He's not the saviour of a program, but he is a player with a lot of experience against very strong competition who Marshall will really have to lean on next year as their only PG - of course the coach is going to talk him up a little. Why not?

Zag79
08-18-2007, 04:21 PM
contrary to popular belief he did have some opportunites here and he did not take advantage of them and was beaten out by better players...
and he also sat and watched when players that will remain nameless fumbled passes away, couldnt hit shots for anything, and made coutnless mental mistakes but still got more PT. pmac was one of those players that came through and was in fews doghouse his whole career.

sanfranzagsguy20
08-18-2007, 04:27 PM
and he also sat and watched when players that will remain nameless fumbled passes away, couldnt hit shots for anything, and made coutnless mental mistakes but still got more PT. pmac was one of those players that came through and was in fews doghouse his whole career.

why keep them nameless? i can't be the only one who doesnt know who you are referring to

sorry to say but the player(s) you just described sounded a lot like pmac to me

john montana
08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
i wish pmac the best and hope he plays well. that said, i find the idea that pmac didn't get a fair shake ridiculous. he started a lot of games, and there were many times when i wondered just why he was on the floor. maybe he'll play better at marshall...i wish him the best.

Vanzagger
08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
i wish pmac the best and hope he plays well. that said, i find the idea that pmac didn't get a fair shake ridiculous. he started a lot of games, and there were many times when i wondered just why he was on the floor. maybe he'll play better at marshall...i wish him the best.

Sometimes, to an untrained eye, it may have looked like PMAC was just a kid from Canada who landed on the right team at the right time and wasn't really a difference maker. Sometimes the kid who is out there bending his knees and moving his feet, setting screens, and keeping the flow of the O going gets over looked. These kids do not fill up a stat sheet but you need them to win.

If my memory serves me right, UW had totally reversed the momentum, when PMAC scored 5 unanswered, including a break away dunk that hit the reload button of the KC. The obvious game winner in the WCC was cool. Nice assist Adam! Go back and watch EK's game winner down in San Diego and tell me if you can't spot 3 things PMAC did to help decide that game in the closing seconds

Mark Few knows the value of a PMAC. More than anything it got to be a numbers game. Few decided to hedge towards the future. It's a delicate balance. Let's hope Zag blood keeps flowing through these young men. The last thing we want is a team full of me first guys. To all you Pendo lovers, (I'm one) his Zagness will likely be tested with reduced minutes as the season wears on. PMAC handled it well.

Fast forward this year. PMAC gets to play a ton at the chance of missing out on being a Nat. Champ. I'm making two predictions. Marshall's wins go up. Gonzaga spends more time in the top 5 than not. How do you like them zapples.

john montana
08-20-2007, 06:44 AM
vanzagger, i do have a trained eye. i am one of the guys that thinks stats don't tell the tale when it comes to basketball. pmac had some great moments and i'll cheer him on at marshall, but one 2 minute stretch against UW doesn't tell the full tale any more than one of the myriad examples of him passing up an open shot or turning it over. he's a very good player, i just never felt he was quite good enough to win the minutes he did play. we can dissagree about that, but i don't see why you want to insinuate that i don't know anything about basketball.

FuManShoes
08-20-2007, 08:19 AM
PMAC has moved on, GU hoops have moved on. Perhaps it's time we fans move on, as well. I liked PMAC, hoped and thought he would achieve more at GU and yet wish he was still with the team, if only because he has such great energy, athleticism and defensive skills. But what's done is done. I congratulate him on completing school in just three years and wish him all the best with his new team. Now the Zags need to find another player with a name so long it could encircle his entire jersey.

Vizagra
08-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I expect great things from PMAC this year. I think the coach coming out and stating that PMAC is our point guard and he will run the team is something that he never experienced at GU. Having a coach 100% behind him will be a huge confidence builder for PMAC. He knows his role and I am excited to watch him this year -- even if it is through box scores.

Good luck PMAC!!