PDA

View Full Version : Reid Travis

Pages : [1] 2

hooter73
06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
TSSF report on twitter that Reid Travis will visit during Hoopfest weekend. Very appealing!

6'8, 240, class of 2014

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/112186/reid-travis)
Yahoo/Rivals (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Reid-Travis-126012)
Scout (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5627020)

Highlight Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjNg2ybxGw)

Needs to watch videos of Harris as a freshman every night before bed, but I like him!

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Does he have some Minny connection with Sammy D?

HenneZag
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I really like this kid and his skillset...great athlete and good motor. Would be a very good get!

cjm720
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Impressive list. Must be very smart, too.

Would be a great get!!!

Oregonzagnut
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Gonzaga is not on any list of schools who are interested in him. None that I can see.

Is it an official visit or an unofficial visit?

cjm720
06-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Gonzaga is not on any list of schools who are interested in him. None that I can see.

A great example of why the "experts" don't know what's up.

ZagNative
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
No surprise to me that the three main recruiting sites aren't up-to-date. However, there's definite interest on both sides. From May 28 Star Tribune story (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/209183471.html):

I know you havenít done any official visits yet. Any planned? No, I donít [have] anything penciled in. Thereís a few schools I want to get to on officials but nothing is set.

Which ones? Gonzaga and Stanford are the ones that I have officials kind of in the talking right now. Thereís other ones that Iím looking at, but those are the ones that could happen in the next month.

ZagaZags
06-05-2013, 02:19 PM

It will be an official visit.

BTB
06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
This is big.. I'm getting my hopes up guys!

Zagdawg
06-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Biography:
Had 57 points and 36 rebounds in three games to lead the Islanders to the Class AAA state tournament title. Averaged 20.8 points per game as a sophomore and scored in double figures in all but one game. Older brother Jonah plays for Harvard. Also a standout quarterback.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5627020

SLOZag
06-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Biography: ... Also a standout quarterback.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5627020

Not the quarterback thing again! :eek:

HenneZag
06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Committed to Gonzaga to only later de commit and play QB at ASU. Obviously it worked out for him, was drafted by the Broncos in 2012.

ZagaZags
06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Gonzaga has been on these two early. I think GU has inside track on both. UCLA could mess this up for us.

bigparb
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Love this kids game...strong and athletic.....looks like he plays bigger than he is and has a nice little face up game to....per slipperstillfits twitter he's visiting over Hoopfest weekend......as far as I'm concerned that should be GU's #1 recruiting weekend.......come see how much luv for hoops in Spokane and get treated like a rock star by 150k people!!! #ZagClass14

ZagNative
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks to SSF for the tip-off about this update about Reid Travis (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/top-50-big-reid-travis-to-visit-gonzaga-continue-working-on-his-versatility/):
A 6-foot-8, 240 lb bruiser, Travis has developed a reputation for himself nationally as a bully in the paint. Heís a double-double machine with a nose for the ball and a sense of how to gain position down-low. He finishes well through contact as well, which makes sense given the fact that heís gotten scholarship offers from Big Ten schools as a quarterback.

With all that in mind, itís funny to consider the fact that the next step that he needs to take in his game is to become Ö softer?

Well, thatís not quite right, but for Travis to be able to make the leap to the next level, the Minnesota native needs to become a more versatile player, diluting that raw power with a dash of finesse and a dollop of face-up game.

ďI think the next step that I have to take is just to expand my game to the outside, and be able to knock down a three here and there while still keeping my principles of being able to pound down low,Ē Travis said after his first game at the NBPA Top 100 Camp on Thursday afternoon, mentioning that he watches film of NBA power forwards like Amare Stoudamire to help him learn. ďIíve been working on my post game a lot, especially since Iíve been going against all these bigger guys in the post. Iíve gotta expand a lot more, working on my jump shot and my jump hook and stuff like that.Ē

The better Travis gets from the perimeter, the more attention he will receive as a ballplayer. But attention isnít all that Rivalsí 41st-ranked player in the Class of 2014 is after, as he already has plenty of it.

Travis already has upwards of a dozen high-major offers. In fact, heís in the process of whittling that attention down and trying to figure out where he will be playing his college ball. Academics are important to Travis, which is one of the reasons that west coast programs like Stanford and UCLA have garnered his interest. Travis said that he likely will end up visiting those two schools, but the first visit that he has locked-in is a trip to Gonzaga, which will take place in the next couple of weeks.

ďThe coaching staff [at Gonzaga] intrigues me a lot,Ē Travis said. ďIíve spent a lot of time with Tommy Lloyd and Mark Few, and Iím trying to keep building that. I just want to see what the campus is about and how they develop their players. Get a first hand look at what they do over there.Ē

Gonzaga would be a nice fit for Travis, as he could very easily put together a career reminiscent of the one that Elias Harris had over four years in Spokane, but leaving home wouldnít be an easy thing to do, not with the current excitement in-state of the hiring of Richard Pitino. And you better believe that the new Gopher coaching staff has made the effort to sneak in and earn a commitment from Travis.

ďItís been great talking to Coach Pitino. I think I talk to him like twice a week,Ē Travis said. ďIíve had a number of unofficials since he came over. Itís been great to build that relationship, I like their whole staff and I like the program.ĒFWIW, Jerry Meyer predicted Travis at Gonzaga (http://247sports.com/Player/Reid-Travis-15572?Institution=2887) in his crystal ball the other day.

madness
06-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Whoa, goosebumps...thx Zagnative for the heads up!

C'mon Reid, think of all the looks you will get as a Freshman starter with Kevin and Gary dropping dimes to you!

ZagaZags
06-14-2013, 01:17 AM
This is big.. I'm getting my hopes up guys!

And yes, you should get your hopes up.

thespywhozaggedme
06-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Whoa, goosebumps...thx Zagnative for the heads up!

C'mon Reid, think of all the looks you will get as a Freshman starter with Kevin and Gary dropping dimes to you!

Yup, this is one of those perfect timing situations where we can guarantee a high major prospect starting minutes as a true frosh ala KP and GB, that's a HUGE selling point.

hooter73
06-14-2013, 07:43 AM
If hes interested in big man development, objectively, Gonzaga has had a tinny bit of success in that department in the last 13 or so years.

Honestly its one of our selling points that speaks for itself. Turiaf, Sacre, KO, not to mention Harris who i think Reid has a very similar game and skill set.

No homesickness please.

Oregonzagnut
06-14-2013, 08:12 AM
IMO, our roster had a hole at the three spot and is a perfect fit for him and he is a perfect fit for us. Amazing potential for the future of the 3 spot for us. Considering we haven't even seen Nunez and Coleman play yet, me saying we have a hole at the 3 is slightly presumptuous. I remember this time last year, we had no idea how good Kelly had become.

This is where we are now, speculation and ambiguity. But most importantly we have hope and knowledge that Few always pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Reid would be wise to jump on the Zag-wagon.

CDC84
06-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer believes that Gonzaga is a significant favorite to land Reid Travis. They have the inside track.

Things can change, but you don't hear Jerry say things like this very much.

What I like most about this kid is his David Pendergraft-like approach to the game. The fact that he's 6-8, highly athletic and very skilled around the basket makes him all the more intriguing. He's your typical Big 10 bruiser big man. GU really needs to get someone like this in their program. It sets an example for other players, and puts fear into opponents.

thespywhozaggedme
06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
IMO, our roster had a hole at the three spot and is a perfect fit for him and he is a perfect fit for us. Amazing potential for the future of the 3 spot for us. Considering we haven't even seen Nunez and Coleman play yet, me saying we have a hole at the 3 is slightly presumptuous. I remember this time last year, we had no idea how good Kelly had become.

This is where we are now, speculation and ambiguity. But most importantly we have hope and knowledge that Few always pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Reid would be wise to jump on the Zag-wagon.

Pretty sure he's strictly a pf from everything I'm reading

Oregonzagnut
06-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Pretty sure he's strictly a pf from everything I'm reading

He is listed as an SF from what I see. But I also read into the "Big Three" as a play on words for his potential and maybe what he desires.

We need a big three (as opposed to another undersized 4) and if he has the skills to play either the SF of PF, then we have a critical piece to complete our teams puzzle.

IMO, a 6'8" PF is still slightly undersized, esp in the NBA. So I hope he wants to play the 3. Harris was an undersized PF who now wishing he worked on his SF game more. Why we didn't use Harris at the 3 more is beyond me.

Maybe he is still growing?

cjm720
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Forget the NBA, Reid's a 4. He's reported as saying he needs to expand his game, so with time and dedication he may have what it takes but now he's definitely a power forward.

hooter73
06-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Is this more Harris should have been a wing talk? :)

Bouldin was a strong shooting and driving wing. Daye was a terrific wing. Play the skill set, not the size.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Bouldin was a strong shooting and driving wing. Daye was a terrific wing. Play the skill set, not the size.

more to the pt i think is that EH at the 3 this year solves a lot of probs and gets more run for karno and dower......never cd get my head around it either. i thought players just played.

Oregonzagnut
06-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Is this more Harris should have been a wing talk? :) Bouldin was a strong shooting and driving wing. Daye was a terrific wing. Play the skill set, not the size.

No, I'm not saying Harris should have been a wing. But there were times where he should have played the 3 on occasion. Harris said he needs to work on his wing skills to be a more complete player. Few did not need him for that. His words, not mine.

Play to a kids skills, for sure.

I like him as a versatile SF/PF. Just my opinion. Reid's skills around the basket are well documented and obviously fit into the PF role.

Either way, I am sold on this kid. Big time.

ZagNative
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Reid has kind of a tight schedule coming up if he is to visit Spokane over Hoopfest weekend June 29-30.

He's going to the Amare Stoudamire Big Man Skills camp (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/big-man-skills-academy/) on June 24-26.

Oregonzagnut
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Reid has kind of a tight schedule coming up if he is to visit Spokane over Hoopfest weekend June 29-30.

He's going to the Amare Stoudamire Big Man Skills camp (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/big-man-skills-academy/) on June 24-26.

Wow.

I am even more sold than I was 1 post ago.

ZagNative
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Then his Howard Pulley team plays at Peach Jam July 10-14.

Ezag
06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
This is of some concern...

Gonzaga would be a nice fit for Travis, as he could very easily put together a career reminiscent of the one that Elias Harris had over four years in Spokane, but leaving home wouldnít be an easy thing to do, not with the current excitement in-state of the hiring of Richard Pitino. And you better believe that the new Gopher coaching staff has made the effort to sneak in and earn a commitment from Travis.

ďItís been great talking to Coach Pitino. I think I talk to him like twice a week,Ē Travis said. ďIíve had a number of unofficials since he came over. Itís been great to build that relationship, I like their whole staff and I like the program.Ē

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/top-50-big-reid-travis-to-visit-gonzaga-continue-working-on-his-versatility/

DixieZag
06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
This is of some concern...

ďItís been great talking to Coach Pitino. I think I talk to him like twice a week,Ē Travis said. ďIíve had a number of unofficials since he came over. Itís been great to build that relationship, I like their whole staff and I like the program.Ē

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/top-50-big-reid-travis-to-visit-gonzaga-continue-working-on-his-versatility/

Ugh. I can see the appeal to him, near home - young up and coming coach who is probably very aggressively recruiting trying to establish a local base, excitement in the community. . .

Picking Minn makes too much sense for us to get all excited, but perhaps some magic will happen during a visit.

SteelZag
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Wish Daye would have had more of an opportunity to play the wing. Too many minutes at 4 and 5.

CDC84
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
You don't want this kid on the wing. You want him right around the basket. If he commits, he could be the nastiest, toughest big man at Gonzaga since Casey Calvary. I'm talking about his mental approach to the game. He's all out, all the time. Also, right now, he's way, way more skilled around the hoop than Elias Harris was when he arrived at Gonzaga.

vandalzag
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
more to the pt i think is that EH at the 3 this year solves a lot of probs and gets more run for karno and dower......never cd get my head around it either. i thought players just played.

The problem with this is that would mean Hart sits and his numbers and defensive play were well beyond what Dower would give. Ideally they play EH at the 3 with Sam and KH and they end up with an NBA sized front court, but this was one of those things that looks good on paper but was not meant to be, the polly in me likes to think it was due to what Hart did as opposed to what others failed to do.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2013, 02:38 PM
The problem with this is that would mean Hart sits and his numbers and defensive play were well beyond what Dower would give. Ideally they play EH at the 3 with Sam and KH and they end up with an NBA sized front court, but this was one of those things that looks good on paper but was not meant to be, the polly in me likes to think it was due to what Hart did as opposed to what others failed to do.

It wdnt be an either or situation. Just a nice option that was rarely if ever used. Hart was invaluable but early on his total reluctance to shoot hurt some. Rear view mirror, though.

maynard g krebs
06-14-2013, 02:56 PM
IMO Harris at the 3 is a square peg/round hole situation. Look at what happened at UNLV when they put Moser at the 3 to make room for Bennett. And Moser is quicker, a better passer and handles it better than Harris.

Especially with Harris losing his shot last year, playing him at the 3 makes for a logjam in the post and wouldn't give KO/SD/PK (especially KO) room to operate.

You gotta be able to spread the floor to create offensive space; Harris at the 3 wouldn't have done that for last yrs team.

SteelZag
06-14-2013, 02:58 PM
The normal replacement for Hart was Stockton coming in and GBJ moving to the 3. While Stockton can do a lot of things, trading paint up front ain't one of them. Maybe just a few 4-5 minute stretches per half to provide a different look, and at the same time provide a few more minutes for Sam and PK. The Zags had ample time to practice this lineup during the many blowouts.

There is no evidence to suggest Harris at the 3 wouldn't have worked.

maynard g krebs
06-14-2013, 04:02 PM
There is no evidence to suggest Harris at the 3 wouldn't have worked.

I think it would be reasonable to guess that the staff had plenty of time to try it in practice, that it didn't work there, hence we didn't see it in games.

I'd tend to give them some credit for having the ability to consider and experiment with all the options at times when the fans aren't watching.

ZagNative
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Reid doing well at the NBA Top 100:
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 6m

Reid Travis has been consistently productive throughout #NBATop100. The 2014 forward is showing a nice all-around toolset on offense.

ZagNative
06-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Sigh ...
Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops 4m

Reid Travis has been an absolute monster in the semis. He's testing dudes manhood in the paint right now. Could b pro wrassler some day

ZagNative
06-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Reid Travis has moved way out of our reach, I'm afraid...

Tim McCormick ‏@TMcCormickESPN 25m

TOP100 Camp All-Star Joel Berry Devin Booker Kevon Looney Reid Travis Cheick Diallo Justin Jackson Jaquan Newton Myles Turner James Blackmon

CDC84
06-15-2013, 05:54 PM
We will see. Jerry Meyer says GU leads by a good distance w/ this kid. He's going to be visiting Hoopfest weekend. It's not like he's an unknown player. He's ranked at #41 with Rivals and has numerous heavy hitter offers.

HenneZag
06-15-2013, 05:56 PM
GU is a respectable program, just because a player is flying up the ranks doesn't mean we are out of the running all of the sudden. I have more confidence in our program that we can land elite level players. It won't be easy, but doable.

Reid is coming Hoopfest weekend,can't think of a better weekend for a recruit to visit, come see all of our spirit/passion/fans during hoopfest weekend. Pangos and Bell will be signing autographs etc. They are rock stars in Spokane. It will be cool for Reid to see, who knows maybe we get a commitment.

Zagdawg
06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Hoopfest baby.......get er done!

Go Zags

ZagsZombieNation
06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Regarding Elias, he did play some 3 at the beginning of his sophomore season with Kelly at the 4 and Rob at the 5.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303162250
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303202250

There were definitely times where Dower was playing well last year, but Coach Few wanted Kelly and Elias in the game. That's where Elias could've slid over to the 3.

ZagNative
06-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Rivals video (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1516247) of NBPA Top 100 stats, with a nice focus on Reid Travis.

DixieZag
06-16-2013, 09:15 AM
If someone sees him at hoopfest, is it against the rules to buy him a taco?

Watching his highlights, it seems every thing about him screams B1G, which would make it soo sweet to have one of them on our team - - if we could steal him from Minn, Wisconsin, Mich - - - it would be huge.

Oregonzagnut
06-16-2013, 09:21 AM
GU is a respectable program, just because a player is flying up the ranks doesn't mean we are out of the running all of the sudden. I have more confidence in our program that we can land elite level players. It won't be easy, but doable.

Finally someone who believes our recruiting could actually be improving! I don't remember an off-season with so many 4-5 stars considering Gonzaga. With such a powerful season last year and the following of fans and recruits that grew for 4 months, the loss to Wichita hurt but it did not erase the reality that we are a top 25 program every year.

IMO, our recruiting is improving and having Kelly be a headliner also helps people forget about Wichita.

23dpg
06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Reid Travis has moved way out of our reach, I'm afraid...

I get what you're doing there. :clap:

ZagNative
06-16-2013, 07:41 PM
From SSF:
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 41m

Hard not to get excited about 2014 recruit Reid Travis after watching these clips #ZagClass14- http://youtu.be/i3MpYoAGJp4

madness
06-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow he reminds me of Casey Cavalry combined with the outside/faceup game of KO...that is a redic skillset that he has developed already...He is quickly becoming my 1B with Perkins as 1A.

I kept hoping for Malik Pope, but now I think Travis is the guy who is best fit for GU

hooter73
06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
lots of harris with less high flying and so much better ball handling. Hes developed a quick released midrange shot, not something seen in his first few vids. he would be a very VERY nice fit at GU with style of play and the incoming guys we have on the radar.

Worthington
06-16-2013, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't bet against him in an arm wrestle, he must live in the weight room

ZagNative
06-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Reid is heading to Nike's Big Man's Skill camp (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/big-man-skills-academy/), with Amare Stoudamire and Anthony Davis:
R2T2ô ‏@Reid_Travis_22 Protected account 20m

Just got back from Iowa. Headed to Jersey in the morning. #Thelifestyle
Top 15-20 High School Big Men / Top 10 College Big Men
Union, NJ (Closed to the Public)

**Please note that rosters will be published online on June 24th
Then, the plan has been that after the last day, June 26, he'll head for Hoopfest and a Gonzaga visit on June 29. Fingers crossed!

007Zag
06-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Wow, those highlights impress. Looks fundamentally sound, creative, great ball handling, and finishes. Has that kind of shot that looks like it gravitates not just to the rim, but to three inches down inside the cylinder (if that makes sense). Would love to get this guy.

HenneZag
06-24-2013, 07:50 PM
I know Pangos is attending. Both the Bigs and Guards I believe are in the same gym.

Both Reid and Perkins are also attending. It would be great if Pangos could interact and give some insight to both of them. Pangos is a class act and the face of our program. I know KP was in China when Perkins was in Spokane on his official.

I really want Reid, his stock is just going to continue to soar, hopefully we can "wow" him on his visit this coming weekend.

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Here's the HS Roster for the Big Man's Skill Camp:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j_oNMU5MF1s/UckWMGP42qI/AAAAAAABgKM/SVVB5Zpqe94/s576/2013-06-24%2520HS%2520Big%2520Man.jpg

And the College Roster:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3EVTkESDlZk/UckWL33kXBI/AAAAAAABgKE/oHIdGClTljA/s606/2013-06-04%2520Big%2520Man%2520College.jpg

MDABE80
06-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Somebody bring him over the bridge and meet me at the medical tent on Mallon. Me and the brood sell 2000 arrowhead waters and donate the profit.
I'll convince him!!:)

HenneZag
06-24-2013, 08:26 PM
You a Provider? Something medical im assuming.

MDABE80
06-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Just a little training...........:) Iown those two acres there...the family sells parking, water, etc.and I have the medical tent there for the Hoopfesters..... usually the cases are just scrapes and bruises . If a more complex case comes in, I'm right there.
We donate the profits........

HenneZag
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Thats a nice little set up yall have going.

ZagAddict
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm really excited to have Reid Travis visiting this weekend. I really think he is the type of recruit that could provide a domino effect with other recruits for 2014. He would be a GREAT Zag!!!

BULLDOG#1
06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
who is the competition in this highlight vid? It looks like everyone else is standing there watching Reid dunk and shoot threes.

Regardless, the footage clearly demonstrates that the kid has great size, is athletic, and has a feel for the game.

It would be a huge win for the staff if the kid signs. It's a great sign that the staff has been on this kid for a long time -- prior to his stock rising so high.

MDABE80
06-25-2013, 11:37 AM
If somehow we could "finagle" Reid, Wiltjer and Pope, we would have the best frontcourt in the country. Dreaming is good......

jazzdelmar
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
If somehow we could "finagle" Reid, Wiltjer and Pope, we would have the best frontcourt in the country. Dreaming is good......

Old Brooklyn expression, "finagle a bagel." Thanks for the madeleine, Doc Proust.

MDABE80
06-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I love Brooklyn......I really do! People out west don't understand how cool it is. Brighton Beach I stay away fromm but the rest is terrific and "colorful".My old roomate is the Chief on Anesthesia at Downstate.

jazzdelmar
06-25-2013, 05:07 PM
I love Brooklyn......I really do! People out west don't understand how cool it is. Brighton Beach I stay away fromm but the rest is terrific and "colorful".My old roomate is the Chief on Anesthesia at Downstate.

Growing up there was an unparalleled experience. The font of so much creative talent now spread across the US and world. More recently the parts adjacent to Manhattan are exploding in real estate values and diversity. Brighton Beach was and still is the home of shady characters, Abe. Now it's Russian mob types. But there's also tribes of Hasidim, which offer their own mysteries. Colorful, I'd say. But having actually seen Jackie Robinson play at Ebbets I consider myself a fortunate son on the borough.

Angelo Roncalli
06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
The absolute best part of running the New York City Marathon is the portion of the race through the ethnic neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Silent and stoic Hasidim with black hats and side curls on a street corner in Bay Ridge, a few blocks later Puerto Rican salsa bands in Sunset Park. Incredible panoply of humanity in very densely populated area.

LongIslandZagFan
06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Growing up there was an unparalleled experience. The font of so much creative talent now spread across the US and world. More recently the parts adjacent to Manhattan are exploding in real estate values and diversity. Brighton Beach was and still is the home of shady characters, Abe. Now it's Russian mob types. But there's also tribes of Hasidim, which offer their own mysteries. Colorful, I'd say. But having actually seen Jackie Robinson play at Ebbets I consider myself a fortunate son on the borough.

Don't forget the high Polish population in Greenpoint... Although that is practically Queens. Sadly anything close to the East River seems to get gentrified... Won't be long before Greenpoint is a bastion of neuvo-riche hipsters. Bah!

ZagaZags
06-26-2013, 01:04 AM
I hope Gonzaga pulls out the red carpet for this kid. Reid Travis is a must have player.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 04:19 AM
The absolute best part of running the New York City Marathon is the portion of the race through the ethnic neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Silent and stoic Hasidim with black hats and side curls on a street corner in Bay Ridge, a few blocks later Puerto Rican salsa bands in Sunset Park. Incredible panoply of humanity in very densely populated area.

Papa, when did you run it? I did back in 1991. The entry into First Ave is my highlight.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Don't forget the high Polish population in Greenpoint... Although that is practically Queens. Sadly anything close to the East River seems to get gentrified... Won't be long before Greenpoint is a bastion of neuvo-riche hipsters. Bah!

LIZF, in Brooklyn we called it "Green-pernt."

Not sure all those hipsters are riche, though. More likely unemployed recent Pratt grads looking for art and design stardom.

hooter73
06-26-2013, 07:23 AM
I hope Gonzaga pulls out the red carpet for this kid. Reid Travis is a must have player.

My general thought is Hoopfest weekend and Kraziness are the two Red Carpet days. When we have recruits visiting during those times, its as much hoopla as we can give.

HenneZag
06-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Great weekend to visit. Weather is going to be hot, and im sure the ladies will be out in full force! Gotta help right.

Hopefully he gets to spend some quality time with the staff and doesn't get bogged down with all the hoopfest festivities his entire visit. Looking forward to the content after his visit.

Angelo Roncalli
06-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Papa, when did you run it? I did back in 1991. The entry into First Ave is my highlight.

I ran it in 1984, the year of scorching hot temperatures. An unknown named Orlando Pizzolato from Italy won the men's race (he won it the next year, too) and Greta Waitz won the women's race. I was in sight of Waitz at the halfway mark, but I faded miserably in the heat.

I wore one of Bryce McPhee's road jerseys instead of a singlet. When I was getting close to Tavern on the Green, an older woman standing on the side of the street saw the "Gonzaga" on the jersey and screamed at her husband: "Irving, look! It's Gonzaga! That's where Bing went to school!

John Walker from New Zealand (who at the time held the world record in the 2,000 meters) ran the race but dropped out. I remember seeing him sitting on the curb on First Ave and thinking to myself, "If I finish this monster, I can say I beat a world record holder and gold medal winner." A bit delusional, I agree.

I ran the last 5 miles of the race with a Protestant baker from Belfast. He and I egged each other on to finish, and we wouldn't let each other walk. The guy had saved money for 5 years to come to New York and run the race. He told me after we crossed the finish line that I wasn't so bad, for a Catholic.

The entry onto First Ave., after coming off the 59th St. Bridge, is indeed amazing. The most impressive part is the sound of the crowd--overwhelming.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I ran it in 1984, the year of scorching hot temperatures. An unknown named Orlando Pizzolato from Italy won the men's race (he won it the next year, too) and Greta Waitz won the women's race. I was in sight of Waitz at the halfway mark, but I faded miserably in the heat.

The entry onto First Ave., after coming off the 59th St. Bridge, is indeed amazing. The most impressive part is the sound of the crowd--overwhelming.

Well congrats Papa. Nothing like it, a personal Final Four if you will. Like most you had a deliciously eclectic experience. I did, too, even as a native New Yorker. The bridge, you recall, actually sways from the thousands of footfalls, some sort of physics thing. And much ballyhooed First Avenue was all that and more. Still in the bridge undergirding you hear it, then you turn right and onto First and you are master of the universe, if only for a second, the pack having at last thinned out. Congrats, again. An amazing accomplishment that's on many bucket lists, but usually left undone.

PS, was that the year the Great Greta had her, um, bowel issues? And it was "Irving's" wife who called out Gonzaga? Irving? Really? I might call you on that, there are a half million Irvings in NYC and I doubt any know GU.

ZagNative
06-27-2013, 09:36 AM
I wonder if Reid is still planning to visit Spokane this weekend ...

R2T2ô ‏@Reid_Travis_22 Protected account 8h

The only good thing about being at the airport this early is ill be home soon.

R2T2ô R2T2ô ‏@Reid_Travis_22 Protected account 14h

Good experience at the skills academy. S/O to @Amareisreal and @AntDavis23 for a great camp. Headed back to MN in the morning.

hooter73
06-27-2013, 10:24 AM
that makes me nervous...

sittingon50
06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Nah, just goin' home so mom can pack some clean underwear & put him on a plane westward on Friday.

;)

zagssuperfan
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I wonder if Reid is still planning to visit Spokane this weekend ...

NCAA rules only allow colleges to pay for prospects to fly from their home or their school.

ZagNative
06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
NCAA rules only allow colleges to pay for prospects to fly from their home or their school.Excellent info! Thanks!

ZagaZags
06-27-2013, 12:23 PM
NCAA rules only allow colleges to pay for prospects to fly from their home or their school.

I wonder who paid for Karnowski to fly from Spokane to Cal last year?

KStyles
06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
13.5.2.1 General Restrictions. A member institution may pay the prospective student-athleteís actual round-trip transportation costs for his or her official visit to its campus from any location, provided the prospective student-athlete returns to the original point of departure, or if return transportation is provided to the prospective student-athleteís home, educational institution or site of competition, the cost does not exceed round trip expenses from the prospective student-athleteís original point of departure. Use of a limousine or helicopter for such transportation is prohibited. [R] (Revised: 1/9/06, 5/26/06)

Sounds to me like GU could've flown him straight to Spokane if they'd wanted to, although then his 48-hour official would've started today instead of tomorrow or Saturday.

ZagNative
06-27-2013, 12:34 PM
KStyles, I love that you are so great about digging out legitimate info.

ZagaZags
06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Sounds to me like GU could've flown him straight to Spokane if they'd wanted to, although his official would've started today instead of tomorrow or Saturday.

This will be a great weekend in Spokane.

tlark420
06-28-2013, 05:21 AM
R2T2ô ‏@Reid_Travis_22

Headed to the airport. Spokane for the weekend!

tlark420
06-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Any chance of a commit while on his visit?

VaBeachZAG
06-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Do we know if any family members will be coming along with him? Probably little to no chance getting a commitment on the spot. I would expect a lot of consultation with family before any decision is made.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2013, 06:00 AM
percent chance he comes to GU? expert opinions only :)

HenneZag
06-28-2013, 06:07 AM
I know im not an expert Jazz. But As of right now I believe Minnesota and Gonzaga lead the way. So saying that I give it 50%. But Reids stock is rising, I know Michigan State offered as well. If we don't make an impression and blow him away this weekend, I put it at about 33%.

Jazz what do you think our chances are realistically?

jazzdelmar
06-28-2013, 06:20 AM
I know im not an expert Jazz. But As of right now I believe Minnesota and Gonzaga lead the way. So saying that I give it 50%. But Reids stock is rising, I know Michigan State offered as well. If we don't make an impression and blow him away this weekend, I put it at about 33%.

Jazz what do you think our chances are realistically?

My guesses trend low, as you may know. And they raise the ire of many here. I know nothing about any of these kids, and many here are far better informed. But reason and track record dictate a fairly low number. Maybe 20% for Reid and 10% for Perkins. They are just too darn good and popular. Would love to be wrong.

CDC84
06-28-2013, 07:36 AM
He'll be arriving in Spokane shortly to kick off his official visit at Gonzaga. Reid is now ranked at #40 at rivals.com and at #44 with scout.com in their latest 2014 rankings. He has offers from Arizona, Butler, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Stanford, UCLA and many other schools. He would be a huge get for Gonzaga.

ZagaZags
06-28-2013, 01:58 PM
percent chance he comes to GU? expert opinions only :)

He is on an airplane.

ZagNative
06-28-2013, 02:09 PM
He is on an airplane.He tweeted at 6:09 AM that he was on his way to the airport. Must be in the 509 by now.

jazzdelmar
06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
He is on an airplane.

I meant chance he matriculates at GU, duh. Humidity got u?

ZagaZags
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
I meant chance he matriculates at GU, duh. Humidity got u?

I was going for funny. Did you miss the wink?

jazzdelmar
06-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I was going for funny. Did you miss the wink?

Naa, got SPF 50 in my eye. Surfs up.

americasteam
06-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Reid and his mom (at least I think it was his mom) were given the royal treatment this afternoon, at the MAC. Turned down the lights, turned up the music really loud, played some video of Gonzaga highlights, the crowd stomping and jumping up and down. Tommy Lloyd stood with them in the middle of the court and let them get a feel for the place. Then he hung around and watched a game the final day of team camp.

I hope he enjoys Hoopfest, also. He'll be impressed with the long lines for autographs, I'm sure! :)

HenneZag
06-29-2013, 08:30 AM
And you saw this huh?

BobZag
06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
The more eyewitness accounts, the better!

thespywhozaggedme
06-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Reid and his mom (at least I think it was his mom) were given the royal treatment this afternoon, at the MAC. Turned down the lights, turned up the music really loud, played some video of Gonzaga highlights, the crowd stomping and jumping up and down. Tommy Lloyd stood with them in the middle of the court and let them get a feel for the place. Then he hung around and watched a game the final day of team camp.

I hope he enjoys Hoopfest, also. He'll be impressed with the long lines for autographs, I'm sure! :)

Thanks for the insider report, really appreciate it

HenneZag
06-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Nothing like running on Brush fires from lightning strikes @ 540 am. Im sure the weather will clear throughout the day, I hope so for Mr Reid and family!

gamagin
06-29-2013, 10:07 AM
KStyles, I love that you are so great about digging out legitimate info.

we have the best 1-2 punch in the Board game, in the nation. IMO. And much thanks to you both !

MDABE80
06-29-2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/wcir.html
Satellite shows trouble till about 3 pm.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/wcir.html
Satellite shows trouble till about 3 pm.

big time heat down here too and high danger of fires.....life is precious, eh Doc. let's smell the roses and Zag success....

DixieZag
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
If the lighting can keep away, the occasional rain interruptions are just a gift from the God's smiling upon us with favor.

Having said that, just up from downtown on the south hill at 5:00 am I was awakened by the loudest thunder clap that I have heard outside of southern Mississippi. Down there, one doesn't hear thunder, one is just knocked momentarily senseless by a flash of light and a percussion blast.

MDABE80
06-29-2013, 10:41 AM
68 on the San Clemente house cam:) June gloom:(
Hotter 3 miles in......

Here, 100 miles from Spokane it's very sunny and warm. Front moving through @ 30-40 mph. Should be fine by 3 pm or so.

I do hope this visit is going swimmingly!
His list of offers is quite daunting. I hope we sign him. It would creat some nice momentum for further recruiting. It'll be close. Cmon SUN!!

ZagNative
06-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Having said that, just up from downtown on the south hill at 5:00 am I was awakened by the loudest thunder clap that I have heard outside of southern Mississippi. That thunder clap was a dandy, wasn't it?

NotoriousZ
06-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Anybody see Mr. Travis at hoopfest?

bigparb
06-29-2013, 09:54 PM
I was looking for him at Hoopfest - saw Sam, Angel and Drew at the tent but no sign of our future stud PF.......The wife says she saw Fewie with Reid and fam......putting on the full court press I hope....

kyle dixon
06-30-2013, 07:16 AM
They all had dinner at Chaps with the coaching staff and Barham.

VaBeachZAG
06-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Wonder why Dower wasn't at the dinner given his state connection with Travis?

ZagNative
06-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Reid tweets:

R2T2ô ‏@Reid_Travis_22 Protected account 17m

Some morning hoops

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOBsQhiCQAIaFLn.jpg

HenneZag
06-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Reid recently tweeted that he is back in MN. I hope his visit went well!

23dpg
06-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Reid recently tweeted that he is back in MN. I hope his visit went well!

+1. I really like this kid. I don't think we're the leader, per se, but I do thing GU has a shot.

Pargo the Destroyer
07-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Reid tweets:

That's the court we played on! Too funny.

hooter73
07-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Chaps is a great place. My wife got to know the gal who runs it. Shes a nurse and her husband if I remember right is one of the life flight pilots. Awesome people who buy local too. Amazing french toast there lol

These kids have to be on such a wirlwind of traveling and being told how they are the best and how good they'd do at each school, I bet he's just happy to be home and sleeping in his own bed for the night. Decide once the smoke clears.

HenneZag
07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Well Put.

VaBeachZAG
07-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Interesting that the Zags got no positive feedback from Travis like we did from Perkins immediately after visiting. Perkins' tweet heaped praise on the Zags and his visit. So far, we get next to nothing from Travis. I will not speculate on what that may mean, if anything, but it is something that stands out in my mind.

HenneZag
07-01-2013, 08:22 AM
I have seen interviews with Reid, and he seems like a player that keeps his recruitment somewhat under the radar as far as media goes. Seems like a real mature guy, has some tough decisions ahead.

Im sure the staff tried there hardest this past weekend, very busy with hoopfest and so many former players in town.

Obviously I was waiting to hear more on his visit as well. Usually there is some info on a visit within a cpl days after if someone can nab an interview. Pretty quiet so far.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Usually we hear something on an official visit regarding how things went and what that player thought etc...Kinda odd to me we have had no content with any site regarding Reid Travis. A cause for concern? I hope not.

BroncoZAG615
07-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Usually we hear something on an official visit regarding how things went and what that player thought etc...Kinda odd to me we have had no content with any site regarding Reid Travis. A cause for concern? I hope not.

Why are we so paranoid? The visit went incredibly well. Reid has a lot of outstanding programs after him that offer a lot in both athletics and academics. It is going to take time.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Why are we so paranoid? The visit went incredibly well. Reid has a lot of outstanding programs after him that offer a lot in both athletics and academics. It is going to take time.

Had a few days off so it's easy for me to get on the computer and try and find information. Im sure his visit was a good one especially being on a weekend with great basketball and so many former players in town.

I understand there are several high caliber schools wanting his services and im sure more to follow after the summer circuit.

Usually there is updates on visits is all, but Reid is a busy guy so maybe it will take some time.

BroncoZAG615
07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Had a few days off so it's easy for me to get on the computer and try and find information. Im sure his visit was a good one especially being on a weekend with great basketball and so many former players in town.

I understand there are several high caliber schools wanting his services and im sure more to follow after the summer circuit.

Usually there is updates on visits is all, but Reid is a busy guy so maybe it will take some time.

In some ways he will be a tougher get than Perkins. Midwest kid, every major Big 10 school on his heels as well as the Stanfords of the world. He was born to play in an Izzo system. Going to be haaaaaaard to convince him otherwise but the staff has done a great job thus far.

ZagNative
07-03-2013, 04:39 PM
BroncoZag, how do you know "the visit went incredibly well?" I haven't heard or seen a peep.

BroncoZAG615
07-03-2013, 04:42 PM
BroncoZag, how do you know "the visit went incredibly well?" I haven't heard or seen a peep.

Rest assured that I did not make it up out of thin air. It went well...but Reid is not an insta-commit. I wish he was but with his offer list, it's gonna be tricky.

HenneZag
07-03-2013, 04:58 PM
In some ways he will be a tougher get than Perkins. Midwest kid, every major Big 10 school on his heels as well as the Stanfords of the world. He was born to play in an Izzo system. Going to be haaaaaaard to convince him otherwise but the staff has done a great job thus far.

I agree that he has the style that fits in an IZZO type system. Thats my worry. Hopefully the staff used Elias Harris as a good example of what type of impact they want from him or believe that he will bring to the table. The bottom line is we have a definite need for his services as well as room right now. Time will tell, but he will be a tough one to snag, and the longer his recruitment draws out, the harder it will be to bring him in.

ZagNative
07-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Reid talks about his Gonzaga visit on Gopherhole.com (http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/269645?referrer_id=331171):

Reid Travis Discusses Gonzaga Visit, Says He Talks to Gophers Staff 2-3 Times Per Week
Gopher Hole: How was the visit to Gonzaga?

Reid Travis: It was a good time. It was nice seeing the players and the coaches and see what campus life is all about.

Gopher Hole: Did you know (former Osseo player) Sam Dower before that?

Reid Travis: I texted with him a little bit before I got my visit set. He was my host.

Gopher Hole: How well did you know him before that?

Reid Travis: Not too well. I knew who he was. I donít know if he knew who I was, but it was a good time. We had the Minnesota onnection, so we bonded right off the bat.

Gopher Hole: Does he like it up there?

Reid Travis: Yes, he loves it. I think that he had a chance to go back (home) this summer, but decided just to stay at Gonzaga. I think that is how much he enjoys it out there.

Gopher Hole: What was the reason that you decided to make them your first official visit?

Reid Travis: They kind of wore on me from the start about just trying narrowing down a date. I wouldnít say pressure, but they were the one that was talking to me the most. Trying to get the date set up, more than other schools. I kind of just rolled with them and it all fell into place.

Gopher Hole: Do you know what other school you are definitely going to take officials to yet? Have you thought that far yet?

Reid Travis: No. I donít have anything else penciled in.

MDABE80
07-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Gosh I hope he joins us and doesn't stay in Minnesota.
Immense talent to develop. Sam needs to get to know this kid better.

cjm720
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Reid talks about his Gonzaga visit on Gopherhole.com (http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/269645?referrer_id=331171):

Thx for posting ZN. His visit is a testament to how hard the staff is working...and how far we've come.

madness
07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for posting this ZN!!!! Awesome find.

ZagaZags
07-08-2013, 02:24 PM

Great stuff.

hooter73
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I guess its good stuff and I like hearing the update... and its probably how it works... but I dont really see where the brief comments were all that complimentary. Maybe its me.

jazzdelmar
07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
It's not you. Parsing teenagers words is a sport here. I see no shining light either.

HenneZag
07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Until a commitment is made, it's hard for me to get excited about a recruit. Especially with the guys were going after, highly touted with many attractive options. Its a good thing, but I hope were not left in the dust when it all settles.

ZagaZags
07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
But Reid Travis seems to be private and low key about his recruiting. Just says what needs to be said. We did get the 1st official and that is because the coaches have worked their butts off. Gonzaga going all in for 2014. Stepping over dimes to try to pick up quarters. I just hope we pick up 3 quarters. Priority first and plan D later.

SLOZag
07-08-2013, 10:32 PM
From the StarTribune:

"[The visit to Gonzaga] was your first official and the first school with a chance to really roll out the red carpet for you Ė were you at all tempted to commit right away? Haha, no. It was good but I still want to explore all my options. It was a nice basis so when I take other officials I can kind of compare and contrast. So thatís nice.

I know you said you wanted to take all of your officials by the end of the summer. Do you have any others set up right now? No, Iím talking to some schools trying to get some football games set up, but nothing scheduled right now.

You've mentioned wanting to visit Stanford -- have they officially offered yet, or are they still waiting on academic scores and such? Itís in the making, theyíre still trying to get my scores and see where my GPA is at.

I suppose you canít official there until theyíve actually offered. No, no, Iíll probably have to wait until August and see where Iím at academically and then set it up.

Last time I talked to you, you said you have narrowed your list to 15 schools in your mind, but you didn't want to name them. Well, um, want to name them now? Iíll just say itís down to eight now Ė AROUND eight.

Youíre not going to tell us?? Naaah, I canít tell!

We know Gonzagaís on there. We know Ö Minnesota? (Yes) We know Ö Stanford. (Yes)

Of those schools are there any that youíre interested in for football and basketball? No, those eight or so are pretty much for basketball. Iíve got another set of schools for football.

If you could find the right fit with a school that would let you play football and basketball, would that be the ideal? Or is that just another option youíre considering? Itís just a different category, I wouldnít say ideal. Itís tough to play both at that level, so I donít know if Iím trying to do that or just play either/or. Thatís kind of something I just have to think about once all this summer stuff is over.

What schools have offered in both? Boston College has and Iowa is looking at it.

[D]o you still think youíll have the sport and school kind of narrowed down to the final location by fall? Yeah, thatís the plan, I want to get some dates set Ė at least two in August and two in September and by the end of September, I should have a good idea."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/214626991.html

ZagNative
07-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks, SL0Zag!

dnj116
07-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the find, SLOZag! More at the link about Travis's visit to gonzaga and worth the read. I liked this bit:

What did you like the most about [Gonzaga]? I think just the community itself Ė basketball is such a big part of it out there and everyone just loves the basketball players. And then just the family aspect. It is a smaller school, so everyone just feels like a tight community, and I really like that.

In my opinion, we have as good of a chance as anyone for his commitment. Tip of the hat to the coaching staff on the hard work they put in trying to convince these young players to come to Gonzaga.

DixieZag
07-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Not to start chasing off on tangents but what is all this football stuff? I had read that, yes, he is a great football player, but he had definitely decided to play basketball - like it wasn't even in the question.

But, here - he has a "whole different list" for football?

I know that panicking is worthless b/c there is nothing we can do about it - but when has that ever stopped us before? It would be just our luck that he has a break-out season by mid-September and he is off to Alabama or Texas.

HenneZag
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
A video posted just a few days ago. This guy is a beast. Going to be tougher to get to GU as the days move on...

http://youtu.be/jLbmS0HqRf0

Oregonzagnut
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
If he has nothing else pencilled in, then Gonzaga should just hand him a pen to sign with.

ZagNative
07-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Reid's at Peach Jam (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/eybl-finals-at-the-nike-peach-jam-2k13/) for a few days with his Howard Pulley team. Good Luck to him!

ZagNative
07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Video interview from the LeBron Skills Academy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBbYy3MZF3U&feature=youtu.be)

He's an impressive, articulate kid.

SLOZag
07-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Video interview from the LeBron Skills Academy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBbYy3MZF3U&feature=youtu.be)

He's an impressive, articulate kid.

LOTS of good signs in that brief interview. :D

sittingon50
07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Nice find Native. Thanks.

webspinnre
07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
What a mature and intelligent young man. Clearly a good head on his shoulders. Academically, you've got to love that he's being recruited by Stanford.

ZagaZags
07-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Kind of sounds like he has Gonzaga, Stanford, UCLA, Michigan State and Minnesota in his top 5. Perkins commits in August and Travis in September.
I hope it is us.

HenneZag
07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Mature beyond his years. Very articulate and relaxed. Would be a tremendous get. He's obviously going to take his time and weigh everything out. Alot of tough competition, Mich St worries me the most out of the schools he listed for visits.

HenneZag
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Kind of sounds like he has Gonzaga, Stanford, UCLA, Michigan State and Minnesota in his top 5. Perkins commits in August and Travis in September.
I hope it is us.

They both have stated they would like to play together if it worked out that way. I know UCLA and Minnesota are on them both as well.

northsidezagfan
07-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Peach Jam Scores (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/eybl-finals-at-the-nike-peach-jam-2k13/)
Reid travis was the second leading scorer on his team with 20, also had 3 boards in a 73-71 loss. They play again today at 3:00 Pacific.

sittingon50
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
sigh.

ZagaZags
07-13-2013, 09:55 PM
We will not know for 2-4 months. But it sounds like Reid Travis will decide this fall. Some think Reid Travis will stay in Minnesota. I really do think we have our best shot at Travis, I can also see him staying close to home. MSU is close to home as well.
The next 4 months are going to be crazy.

CDC84
07-13-2013, 10:04 PM
2 hour and 40 minute non-stop flights between Spokane and Minneapolis.

1 hour and 40 minute flights between Lansing and Minneapolis.

DixieZag
07-13-2013, 11:06 PM
2 hour and 40 minute non-stop flights between Spokane and Minneapolis.

1 hour and 40 minute flights between Lansing and Minneapolis.

Both have great programs. Both have great coaches - admittedly one is further along with track record - Izzo could coach the hockey team and succeed.

In one the basketball program is the center of campus life, the center of athletics in the NW and on ESPN all the time. . .

And one where basketball is and always will be something to do while waiting for football season - and on a campus with 50,000 students.

And the weather is a wash. Hope hope hope.

northsidezagfan
07-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Starting to get some attention from Duke, who is also after his AAU teammate Tyus Jones...

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Reid-Travis-Physically-Imposing-140241

northsidezagfan
07-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Also, Reid will be playing on ESPNU tonight at 4:00 Pacific at the Super Showcase in Orlando.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Interesting development.

Looking on the roster and future recruits it looks like they will have a definite spot in 2014 for Reid. Im hoping that our long active and aggressive recruiting efforts towards Reid will pay off. We have a tough list of suitors to fight through.

hooter73
07-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Elias 2.0 would fit so well here, but he is definitely closer in proximity to some of the other big names.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 08:03 AM
I am concerned that the KW commitment may effect a commitment from RT. Obviously its a chance we had to take as KW is a great talent. But when you have Duke starting to make a run at you along with other elite programs we need to be more appealing, I see this as making it tougher to get Travis as a Zag as I believe they will both play the 4.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Quixotic.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Quixotic.

Does this mean that you think going after RT is unrealistic?

hooter73
07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
in the "wait is over thread" my first reaction to the news was:
"an ode to RT, we hardly knew thee"

If we had a slight chance before, it got a lot worse when KW committed for the transfer.

Reborn
07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Whitjer is a Zag. Good for him. A great choice. If Reid doesn't come to Gonzaga because Kyle signed with the Zags then so be it. I kind of agree that Reid may not choose Gonzaga now. I'm glad we got Kyle. I would chose Kyle over Reid.

If, on the other, Reid Travis want to come to Gonzaga to help make a very good team great, then of course I want him. If he is afraid he can't beat out Whitjer then I doubt we'll get him. And if he doesn't come then it speaks a ton about the caliber of basketball at GU.

I think we're going to get Reid Travis. I think he's a confident, tough young man. I think he will follow Sam Dower to Spokane.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I love that Wiltjer is a ZAG. Very talented skillset. I just want another Elias type of player that brings the toughness we will need competing down low and a bit of a bruiser. I think it could definitely work with both of them for the reason they are both completely different players. KW in certain lineups could play some 3.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Does this mean that you think going after RT is unrealistic?

Si senor.

hooter73
07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
KO and EH were different sides of the same power forward coin. they were a great tandem working together. Reid Travis could come in and be playing with the top front court in the country, not sitting and watching, but being a contributing part of it. That is real. Hard to sell that to someone who is used to being the big fish though. He chooses GU, he shows character, maturity and intelligence. He chooses any of the other schools, he still shows the same good character, maturity and intelligence. It'd be a tough call for anybody at any age.

MDABE80
07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Reid won't chose Gonzaga because of Wiltjer. If anything Kyle enhances the other positions down low. Let's face it, if Reid doesn't come it'll be for other reasons. I hope we're still after him.
Goodluck is being inundated with amazing offers from Duke ....and the other top 10 schools..... I doubt well see a visit even. Press on fellas.
As always , we need a 6 8 6 9 jumping jack athlete who holds his own in the rough and tumbles down low. That isn't Wiltjer. We NEED Big guys and a killer wing.

EEzag
07-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Did ole Brockman of yonder Husky fame have a little brother? I would very much like to have a clone of that dude, purple or otherwise.

Angelo Roncalli
07-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Did ole Brockman of yonder Husky fame have a little brother? I would very much like to have a clone of that dude, purple or otherwise.

Yes.

Paul Brockman. Walked on at SPU, then played at Bellevue CC and CWU. Plagued by injuries during his career. He was a grad assistant at at a small college in North Dakota the last I heard.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
RT and his AAU team Howard Pulley on ESPN U. Alot of coaches there, no visual of Mark Few as of yet, hopefully he is in attendance watching his last AAU tourney of the season, I believe Josh Perkins is in Vegas as well so maybe he is there. Nonetheless hopefully we have a coach in watching in on both.

GoZags
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM

His trip (along with his parents) went VERY well. The academic side of the visit was of paramount importance ..... and the various, well thought out questions from Reid, his mom and his dad all received the right answers from the right people at the school.

It's my understanding that a couple of things stood out ..... a desire to go to a Private school rather than a State University (Stanford, Boston College and Northwestern were mentioned along with Gonzaga). This makes sense as Reid's older brother is excelling at Harvard. I know that there are some big State Universities in the picture .... but there was an impression that going to a private school was important.

It's well known that the hoops program at Gonzaga is Top notch and reached #1 in the nation this past year. It's not as well known that GU's "pass rate" for CPA exams for Accounting grads now ranks 14th in the nation .... GU's "pass rate" for first timers was 75.6%* vs the national average which is in the 20's*. * = at least 60 or more candidates sitting for the exam. GU's MBA program now ranks 73rd.

Under Mark Few at Gonzaga, there have now been 2 different "Bill Walton double doubles" -- i.e. 1st Team (Top 5) A.P. All Americans and 1st Team (Top 5) Academic All Americans. Dan Dickau and Kelly Olynyk.

From everything I know .... the basketball side of the visit did go extremely well, as did the all important academic side of the visit.

Seems to me that if things fell into place, Reid Travis would have a chance to join Dickau and Olynyk (and Walton ... who did it three times) as a "double double" All Americans -- both on the hoops side and the academic side.

One thing is for sure ...... Reid Travis' decision on where he'll go to school will be well thought out and will make sense for he and his family.

I'm hoping he chooses the Zags.

madness
07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Awesome notes GZ! I can see why he would be looking at Duke as well on the academic side. If it comes down to Duke vs. Gonzaga in his final two, wow. I can't think of any better recruiting story that beating out Coach K for a guy with this skillset.

Excited to hear the reports about Reid's game tonight. I'll be playing beerleague softball and will have to miss it and forgot to set my DVR...

webspinnre
07-24-2013, 03:40 PM
His trip (along with his parents) went VERY well. The academic side of the visit was of paramount importance ..... and the various, well thought out questions from Reid, his mom and his dad all received the right answers from the right people at the school.

It's my understanding that a couple of things stood out ..... a desire to go to a Private school rather than a State University (Stanford, Boston College and Northwestern were mentioned along with Gonzaga). This makes sense as Reid's older brother is excelling at Harvard. I know that there are some big State Universities in the picture .... but there was an impression that going to a private school was important.

It's well known that the hoops program at Gonzaga is Top notch and reached #1 in the nation this past year. It's not as well known that GU's "pass rate" for CPA exams for Accounting grads now ranks 14th in the nation .... GU's "pass rate" for first timers was 75.6%* vs the national average which is in the 20's*. * = at least 60 or more candidates sitting for the exam. GU's MBA program now ranks 73rd.

Under Mark Few at Gonzaga, there have now been 2 different "Bill Walton double doubles" -- i.e. 1st Team (Top 5) A.P. All Americans and 1st Team (Top 5) Academic All Americans. Dan Dickau and Kelly Olynyk.

From everything I know .... the basketball side of the visit did go extremely well, as did the all important academic side of the visit.

Seems to me that if things fell into place, Reid Travis would have a chance to join Dickau and Olynyk (and Walton ... who did it three times) as a "double double" All Americans -- both on the hoops side and the academic side.

One thing is for sure ...... Reid Travis' decision on where he'll go to school will be well thought out and will make sense for he and his family.

Thanks for the great information.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Amid the nauseating love fest for Richie Pitino it's revealed that GU is not in Reid's top five. Stanford the logical pick if not Duke with Harvard the dark horse and enlightened choice. Kid looks thick but a nice prospect.

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Amid the nauseating love fest for Richie Pitino it's revealed that GU is not in Reid's top five. Stanford the logical pick if not Duke with Harvard the dark horse and enlightened choice. Kid looks thick but a nice prospect.

Was this actually revealed or is this just you assuming we have no chance?

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 03:55 PM
When they had RT schools listed didn't see GU. Gotta think thats false from everything I heard especially us being his only official so far.

Yes the Pitino love fest out in full force, he is front and center and the commentators chatted for quite some time regarding the relationship between the 2.

RT is built like a college senior, looks bigger against some smaller competition though. Very nice prospect indeed, you can see the potential he oozes.

11pts
2 Reb @ half

jazzdelmar
07-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Was this actually revealed or is this just you assuming we have no chance?

It was printed on the screen, five schools, no Zags. And IMO we have a scant chance particularly vs Duke, Stanford and Harvard. May I ask, BZ, what percent do you assess GU's chances?

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
It was printed on the screen, five schools, no Zags. And IMO we have a scant chance particularly vs Duke, Stanford and Harvard. May I ask, BZ, what percent do you assess GU's chances?

Gotcha. I'm assuming ESPN just threw a list of five on the screen. I'll wait til Reid actually claims a list to hop off the bandwagon.

Don't have enough knowledge here to make an educated guess on Reid. All I know is that the visit was very successful and that has a great relationship with the staff. I definitely don't think the staff's pursuit is a quixotic project but there are some outstanding academic institutions after him.

IF the Zags can land Perkins, I would feel really good about the odds of getting Travis. The two have a nice relationship but both are also looking at UCLA & Minnesota so we'll just have to wait and see.

I know you don't believe it but the Zags do have a great shot at 3 legit blue-chippers in the USA: Perkins, Travis, and Pope. As I've said, it continues to be a very, very exciting recruiting cycle.

maynard g krebs
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes.

Paul Brockman. Walked on at SPU, then played at Bellevue CC and CWU. Plagued by injuries during his career. He was a grad assistant at at a small college in North Dakota the last I heard.

Paul was the "little" brother in terms of size (6'5), but was a year, maybe 2, older.
Jon was a soph when I first saw him at the state tourney, and already 6-7 and probably 230-240. Looked like a 30 year old from a distance out there among the hs kids.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Gotcha. I'm assuming ESPN just threw a list of five on the screen. I'll wait til Reid actually claims a list to hop off the bandwagon.

Don't have enough knowledge here to make an educated guess on Reid. All I know is that the visit was very successful and that has a great relationship with the staff. I definitely don't think the staff's pursuit is a quixotic project but there are some outstanding academic institutions after him.

IF the Zags can land Perkins, I would feel really good about the odds of getting Travis. The two have a nice relationship but both are also looking at UCLA & Minnesota so we'll just have to wait and see.

I know you don't believe it but the Zags do have a great shot at 3 legit blue-chippers in the USA: Perkins, Travis, and Pope. As I've said, it continues to be a very, very exciting recruiting cycle.

You're right, I don't believe it and I stand by my quixotic assessment. I will say that since you are the resident recruiting guru, along with ZagaZags, it would help if you could put a number on the chances GU gets any of these kids.

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2013, 04:27 PM
You're right, I don't believe it and I stand by my quixotic assessment. I will say that since you are the resident recruiting guru, along with ZagaZags, it would help if you could put a number on the chances GU gets any of these kids.

Haha, anything greater than 0% will get me labeled delusional, polly, or an idealist so I'll just quietly feel confident that the staff will reel in a solid '14 class. I do enjoy reading the continuous derision of folks like me, however, so carry on.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 04:40 PM
GU was listed as a contender along with a long drape of other schools. Looks like there is someone from the GU staff attending, only showed from the neck down but saw a Gonzaga shirt on the coaches side, perhaps Tommy Lloyd.

Anyways RT looking good

29 pts 10-15 shooting with a cpl mins remaining

cggonzaga
07-24-2013, 04:40 PM
When posters like Bronco and Zagazags are optimistic so am I. Does that always turn into a commit? No, but I like our chances.

cggonzaga
07-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Any idea if we're still on trey Kell? Kid is kind of blowing up this summer.

HenneZag
07-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Any idea if we're still on trey Kell? Kid is kind of blowing up this summer.

But I believe our chances shrunk due to Melson signing. Kell's recruitment is skyrocketing, big guard with a nice feel for the game, would be a nice addition.

-Side Note-
Howard Pulley(MN) and RT defeat BABC(MA) 64-61

RT Final #'s

31 pts
never caught the other stats

ZagaZags
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
I still think we have a very nice shot at Travis. We will know soon enough. Does this mean Travis will be a Zag? ( no ) But out of all the recruits 2014 we are going after, I would lay my chips on Reid Travis. I do worry about Minnesota and MSU.
Kell to Gonzaga? I am hearing down here from a friend that works for MWC. Kell may stay in the Southwest.

And if we have a Kuso 2.0 coming. My scholarship count is 2 for 2014. Can someone link the latest chart please?

ZagaZags
07-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Bronco is the best source of Zag news and updates. If you don't follow him on Twitter and Slipper Still Fits, you really should. This guy works his ass off. They have a nice staff at SSF. Plain and simple, I love his work. And we are lucky to have him.

webspinnre
07-24-2013, 10:25 PM
. I will say that since you are the resident recruiting guru, along with ZagaZags, it would help if you could put a number on the chances GU gets any of these kids.

I'm nowhere close to a recruiting guru, but I do love numbers, and based on the sorts of things we're hearing/reading, I'd probably put the numbers for Perkins and Travis in the 15-20% range, and Pope in the 10-15% range. Now, those may be pessimistic according to some, but nevertheless, if they were true, that'd mean that overall we'd have a 35-45% chance of getting at least one of them. If I'm wrong and the odds on one or more of them is higher, than great, but in any case, I can live with us having better than a 1 in 3 chance at a top 50 type recruit. Perhaps those more in the know can provide better numbers and we can re-run the scenarios.

northsidezagfan
07-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Replay of Reid's game from last night is on espn3. I think we have a good shot at him.

Bing
07-25-2013, 04:46 AM
Sounds like Reid and his family have their priorities in order. Thanks for the post.

BroncoZAG615
07-25-2013, 09:06 AM

I'll just leave this here:

After the game, Travis mentioned Minnesota, Michigan State, Gonzaga, UCLA, Stanford, Georgetown and Iowa State as the schools who are standing out on his list the most right now.

So, ya, it is not a quixotic project. Like...not even a little bit.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1528555

cjm720
07-25-2013, 09:32 AM
It's asinine to think we don't have a shot. His first official visit was with us...why waste the time? Just silly jazzy

007Zag
07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
+1, cjm

DADoZAG
07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
It's asinine to think we don't have a shot. His first official visit was with us...why waste the time? Just silly jazzy

Easy folks.

Jazz is still suffering from an extreme March Kool-Aid hangover and, as is often the case in such instances, he is ďteetotalingĒ to the extreme.

Thing is, his attitude wonít change until next March when, I suspect, heíll be swilling away with the rest of us.

Go ZAGS!

GonzaGAW
07-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Bronco is the best source of Zag news and updates. If you don't follow him on Twitter and Slipper Still Fits, you really should. This guy works his ass off. They have a nice staff at SSF. Plain and simple, I love his work. And we are lucky to have him.

I just want to add my and one. I love bronco zag, he is grounded and gives you straight objective analysis. a fan at times? you bet, but I've never thought of him as tilting at windmills

DixieZag
07-25-2013, 08:20 PM
I just want to add my and one. I love bronco zag, he is grounded and gives you straight objective analysis. a fan at times? you bet, but I've never thought of him as tilting at windmills

exactly, well said

HenneZag
07-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Finished the season winning the AAU circuit. With visits to UCLA and Stanford in the near future. Still think we have a nice shot, I think Stanford is our biggest threat.

CDC84
07-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Jerry Meyer is predicting Stanford.

hooter73
07-29-2013, 10:00 AM
the large basketball power that stanford is not kind of says that hes looking at education too. I like this kid for seemingly being so well rounded. Still like our chances.

Worthington
07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
If we land Perkins, I like our chances of getting Travis a lot better.

HenneZag
07-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Jerry Meyer is predicting Stanford.

We had the prediction initially with his crystal ball, now it rotates to Stanford. Will see I guess. Just hoping we can land 1 of 2 in Perkins and Reid.

If we land Jamal Aytes I would be happy, I say this with caution..a poor man's Reid Travis, a late bloomer that is starting to pour it on and has potential to be a very good player. After watching a little film, they do have some similarities to their game.

hooter73
07-29-2013, 10:43 AM
We had the prediction initially with his crystal ball, now it rotates to Stanford. Will see I guess. Just hoping we can land 1 of 2 in Perkins and Reid.

If we land Jamal Aytes I would be happy, I say this with caution..a poor man's Reid Travis, a late bloomer that is starting to pour it on and has potential to be a very good player. After watching a little film, they do have some similarities to their game.

some similarities yes but very different players. Id be happy with either quite honestly (both?) but Travis would be my first choice. Glad I have nothing to do with choosing lol

jazzdelmar
07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
some similarities yes but very different players. Id be happy with either quite honestly (both?) but Travis would be my first choice. Glad I have nothing to do with choosing lol

Only "choosing" is by the kids.....

exclusivelee
09-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Duke offered Reid Travis... well Shem chose us over them. Are the Dookies a little too late to the party?

http://i.imgur.com/DQgIdIP.png (https://twitter.com/slipperstillfit/status/375444670156775425)

jchocolate99
09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Duke offered Reid Travis... well Shem chose us over them. Are the Dookies a little too late to the party?

http://i.imgur.com/DQgIdIP.png (https://twitter.com/slipperstillfit/status/375444670156775425)

Posted this in another thread... There's always hope that he'd turn them down for us but my gut just tells me he's going there especially after he said he's trying to schedule a visit right away with them

HenneZag
09-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I figured this would happen eventually.

Well lets go get pope and perhaps D.J Wilson who could play the 4, definitely not a banger like Reid but a great skillset. Its not over yet, but obviously alot tougher.

Reborn
09-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Now it's getting real exciting. Reid had better be real careful with Duke. I wonder who else Duke has recruited at that position? I sincerely hope Travis is more the type of guy who wants to beat Duke rather then play with them. Gonzaga has a chance of putting together a team that CAN GO ALL THE WAY. And wouldn't it be nice if Reid Travis wanted to be a part of that kind of a story? I kind of feel that he is.

Go Zags!!!
The Best is yet to Come.

BroncoZAG615
09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I figured this would happen eventually.

Well lets go get pope and perhaps D.J Wilson who could play the 4, definitely not a banger like Reid but a great skillset. Its not over yet, but obviously alot tougher.

There's no point in trying to get DJ to play power forward cause its simply not natural. Sabonis is the clear need here. Get Sabonis and an elite wing like Malik Pope and we will all be happy.

HenneZag
09-04-2013, 07:32 PM
There's no point in trying to get DJ to play power forward cause its simply not natural. Sabonis is the clear need here. Get Sabonis and an elite wing like Malik Pope and we will all be happy.

Agreed that Pope and Sabonis would be ideal and make the most sense. Ive seen DJ Wilson listed as a PF on some sights that's all. After watching video he does seem to fit the mold of a 3 but you never know with 1-2 years of adding some muscle and some moves.

So interesting enough if it stands they will visit nearly at the same time the end of the month.

HenneZag
09-04-2013, 08:11 PM
I also wonder if teammate Tyus Jones which is considered the #1 PG in the country and a possible Duke lean will potentially effect a Reid Travis decision to Duke, obviously can't hurt.

hooter73
09-04-2013, 09:24 PM
play for Duke or beat duke... thats honestly a hard call. Id happily take Sabonis and Wilson/Pope if we couldnt get Travis... but I want to get Travis.

cjm720
09-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Love that we are going against Duke and other amazing programs. Academics might hurt us on this one but the exposure in the battle of the recruits only helps.

That said, Reid could be a special player for us...maybe GU will be special for him.

HenneZag
09-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Is also going after Kevon Looney, PF which is scheduled to visit Duke this weekend. Hoping he commits on the spot, wishful thinking!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/125695/kevon-looney

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball-recruits/

Mr Vulture
09-05-2013, 07:53 AM
There is no way that Travis is going to choose us over Duke. It's not like going to Duke is a bad decision. They have great academics, larger conference, more history, and Coach K. Not that GU isn't a great school, we simply are not on the same level as Duke in the minds of most recruits.

HenneZag
09-05-2013, 07:57 AM
There is no way that Travis is going to choose us over Duke. It's not like going to Duke is a bad decision. They have great academics, larger conference, more history, and Coach K. Not that GU isn't a great school, we simply are not on the same level as Duke in the minds of most recruits.

Duke is the one school I fear the most as far as going against them recruiting. They have a tradition that is unmatched, a legendary coach and phenomenal academics. If they grab a commitment from another highly touted PF for 2014 it may steer RT away, that's my hope atleast.

cjm720
09-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Many thought that about Perkins after UCLA offered...

RT seems like a very mature dude...who the heck knows what he'll do, but I love the fact that we got a visit (or am I going delusional on that one....?)

jim77
09-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Reid is a very impressive fella. Just love his silky smooth motion.....and that 3 stroke looks like hes done it a "few" times. He does remind me of E a bit. The kid will get a good education wherever he goes.....but the Zags play the style of ball that he'll thrive in. Love to see Perkins...Pope and Travis getting it done.....it would be one heck of a trifecta.

dnj116
09-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Welp, it is going to be quite a bit tougher with Duke now officially in the mix. However, it is also likely true that if another PF commits to Duke before RT does, it bodes well for our chances.

Nevertheless, we still have as good of a chance as any other school not named Duke. RT actually visited GU, had a good visit, and has spoken highly of us in all his interviews. GU could still beat out Duke even if another PF doesn't commit there simply due to the coaches' hard work recruiting him early-on and by making him aware that he is our priority recruit. The probability of landing him wouldn't be as high, but this scenario is very similar to what happened with Karnowski -- he chose us because of the relationship he had developed with the staff instead of biting at a late offer from Duke. Alas, the never ending drama of being a bystander to the recruiting of a high level player ...

HenneZag
09-05-2013, 09:58 AM
A little different from the Karnowski situation. Duke came on Karn at the last minute, not being from the states helped us because Tommy was on the big guy for a cpl years solid, Duke just wedged themselves in last minute.

Duke has been on RT for several months just haven't offered until now. Im sure they were kinda doing what Kentucky did with JP, feeling out some other recruiting situations and developments. Nonetheless the offer is there. Im hoping Kevon Looney PF that is visiting Duke in a cpl days pulls the trigger.:pray:

MDABE80
09-05-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't think we could possibly go wrong with Travis. Terrific academically, disciplined, superior player. He's exactly what we should looking for. Tough kid. RUns like a guard and has the ups to make some spectacular plays. I'd venture he has every bit the future (or better) than Elias. But when The Dukies come callin, very few stray.

HenneZag
09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree could absolutely not go wrong with RT. A bruiser, and a kind of do it all player, and to add to it very cerebral.

Competition is stiff to say the least. Izzo/Pitino/Kryzewski making a full court press for his services. We have done all we can at this point we will see how it plays out.

thespywhozaggedme
09-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Karnowski did

GUZag08
09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
didn't UNC want Heytvelt? And Syracuse offered KO I believe.

We can run with the big boys now....

But yes Duke offering sucks

CDC84
09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Every factory school you can think of besides Duke wanted Heytvelt. UNC, Florida, Kansas, Arizona, you name it.

I would agree that Duke is going to be difficult to pass up for Reid when you consider the coach, the tradition and the quality of the education. It's also a mid-size university. 14,000 or so, unlike Minnesota which is approaching 52,000.

But I am not ready to toss in the towel just yet. Gonzaga has been on this kid forever.

Reborn
09-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Every factory school you can think of besides Duke wanted Heytvelt. UNC, Florida, Kansas, Arizona, you name it.

I would agree that Duke is going to be difficult to pass up for Reid when you consider the coach, the tradition and the quality of the education. It's also a mid-size university. 14,000 or so, unlike Minnesota which is approaching 52,000.

But I am not ready to toss in the towel just yet. Gonzaga has been on this kid forever.

Right on!!! I'm with ya on this.

RRZagFan
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM
@Reid_Travis_22: My top 7 (No order)....Minnesota, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Duke, Stanford, Georgetown, and Notre Dame.

exclusivelee
09-05-2013, 05:12 PM
good news

but Jerry Meyer is giving Duke the edge (and so do 3 Minnesota Gopher supporters (despite him making his last 2 visits to Minnesota)): http://247sports.com/Player/Reid-Travis-15572/PlayerInstitutionPredictions

GoZags
09-05-2013, 05:17 PM
good news

but Jerry Meyer is giving Duke the edge (and so do 3 Minnesota Gopher supporters (despite him making his last 2 visits to Minnesota)): http://247sports.com/Player/Reid-Travis-15572/PlayerInstitutionPredictions

They are making educated guesses (while not being fully educated). Gonzaga and Minnesota are both very much in play. Very much.

HenneZag
09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
As I am as skeptical as the next guy I agree we are not out of the running. Duke has a very highly touted PF visiting this weekend, not only that, GU has been on RT from the start.

Emmanuel Mudiay could have played anywhere he wanted pretty much and he shocked the basketball world by choosing SMU. You just never know.

spudzag
09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Sure looks like Kevon Looney is the PF that's Duke's main target. Looks like Reid is a back-up guy for Duke.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevon-Looney-15259

I've got to still be in this thing.

ZagaZags
09-05-2013, 08:40 PM
@Reid_Travis_22: My top 7 (No order)....Minnesota, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Duke, Stanford, Georgetown, and Notre Dame.

Not a surprise to see UCLA did not make the cut.

ZagaZags
09-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Kevon Looney could commit this weekend. http://balldurham.com/2013/09/03/duke-to-host-kevon-looney/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcqaNVYRSXQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

madness
09-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Wow, is Gtown new as well??? Seems like he is very much in the mold of a Gtown tough forward mold. I'm the most scared of Duke, Gtown, and Michigan St in that order...

Gonzaga wants you Reid!!!

ZagaZags
09-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow, is Gtown new as well??? Seems like he is very much in the mold of a Gtown tough forward mold. I'm the most scared of Duke, Gtown, and Michigan St in that order...

Gonzaga wants you Reid!!!

Gonzaga is still in good shape with this Jedi. Keep in mind there is another.

DixieZag
09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Gonzaga is still in good shape with this Jedi. Keep in mind there is another.

I agree. Even though guys always say "no order" it is just human nature to put them in some order of interest.

I think we are the top option that is not made up of Golden Gophers. If he chooses MN - there is nothing that could have been done, he wanted to stay home, the message from others would be effectively blocked.

ZagaZags
09-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I agree. Even though guys always say "no order" it is just human nature to put them in some order of interest.

I think we are the top option that is not made up of Golden Gophers. If he chooses MN - there is nothing that could have been done, he wanted to stay home, the message from others would be effectively blocked.

Minnesota won't land Travis. Minnesota no longer a concern. Duke, MSU and Gonzaga will be the top 3. One of those teams will land Travis. Let's hope Kevon Looney commits this weekend.

Gonzaga is still in great shape with Reid Travis.

DixieZag
09-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Minnesota won't land Travis. Minnesota no longer a concern. Duke, MSU and Gonzaga will be the top 3. One of those teams will land Travis. Let's hope Kevon Looney commits this weekend.

Good to know about Minnesota. So long as you're right.:p

And, if you're right about Minnesota, then I hope that I am right about no one not putting them in some kind of order (even if reverse order) :pray:

cjm720
09-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Gut or source?

Zagdawg
09-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Sehr gut

HenneZag
09-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Mich St is hot on him as well. I hope he goes to Duke because I think they are a bigger threat.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/08/kevon_looney_cites_great_relat.html

I do think we make the top 3 along with Mich st and Duke. All 3 schools play a system in which RT would flourish

cjm720
09-06-2013, 07:38 AM

We are the smallest and the only school not to have football. Not sure of my point, but there's one :)

Birddog
09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Does Duke have football?

sittingon50
09-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Yes. They sucked for a long time but have been getting more competitive lately.

HenneZag
09-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Reid will want to go to a school where the main focus is basketball, less distraction and what if factor since he was recruited to some big name football programs as well. Idk just wishful thinking.

ZagaZags
09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Gut or source?

That told me he would not visit UCLA now. ( I posted this in another thread. ) He may still visit Minnesota but he has been there many times.

ZagaZags
09-06-2013, 11:47 AM
2014 Martin Geben 6-9 PF committed to Notre Dame. http://zagsblog.com/articles/martin-geben-to-notre-dame/

JAGzag
09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
2014 Martin Geben 6-9 PF committed to Notre Dame.

Is it wrong that the only reason I log on these days is to see ZagaZags recruiting updates?? Gold.

GUZag08
09-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Is it wrong that the only reason I log on these days is to see ZagaZags recruiting updates?? Gold.

I'm right there with ya. As are all that read and don't post