PDA

View Full Version : Kevin in Portland trying out for Canadian University team

OZZY
06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
KP is on the tryout roster for the FISU games next month. Not a bad list, only a couple of omissions that surprise...Khem Birch being one..

IMHO Kevin should end up being staring PG with a strong guard group including Hanlan, Scrubb, Edwards and Heslip. A bit light on the beef with only Powell and Wiltjer (not really beef) joining Bachynski and Klassen so I see all four making the team. Wing will be an interesting proposition with many talented options including X-Zag Manny and ISU's Melvin Ejim and Harvard's Rivard vying for two positions.

My guess

Pangos*
Hanlan
Edwards
Scrubb*
Heslip
Arop
Ejim
Rivard*
Wiltjer
Powell*
Klassen
Bachynski*

http://www.basketball.ca/training-camp-roster-and-staff-announced-for-dmnt-p154103

ZagNative
06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Thank you, OZZY! I've been looking forward to news about Canada's training camp roster for the University games.

The exhibition tournament in China and the FISU games in Russia will serve as a stepping-stone for these 16 athletes as our country prepares for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.”

The FISU Summer Universiade, also known as the World University Games, will feature the top tier of student athletes from across the globe competing in the largest international sporting event outside of the Olympic Games. The event will take place in Kazan, Russia from July 6 to 17.

Universiade 2013 Draw Results - Apr 6, 2013

POSTED BY:
EUROBASKET NEWS (http://basketball.eurobasket.com/World_University_Games/news/Universiade_2013_Draw_Results/313629)

The World University Games basketball tournament Draw was held today in Kazan. Twenty four teams were drawn into four groups with six teams in each. The tournament is scheduled to take place in Kazan, Russia from July 6 through July 17.

Group A: Russia, Germany, Ukraine, South Korea, Estonia, Oman
Group B: Serbia, Romania, Japan, Mexico, Philippines, Mongolia
Group C: Canada, USA, Czech Republic, Australia, UAE, Sweden
Group D: Lithuania, Finland, Brazil, China, Chile and Norway.

I wonder if Kevin will also be involved with the senior men's team this summer as well... The Tuto Marchand Continental cup starts on August 22nd.

thespywhozaggedme
06-01-2013, 04:35 PM
KP is on the tryout roster for the FISU games next month. Not a bad list, only a couple of omissions that surprise...Khem Birch being one..

IMHO Kevin should end up being staring PG with a strong guard group including Hanlan, Scrubb, Edwards and Heslip. A bit light on the beef with only Powell and Wiltjer (not really beef) joining Bachynski and Klassen so I see all four making the team. Wing will be an interesting proposition with many talented options including X-Zag Manny and ISU's Melvin Ejim and Harvard's Rivard vying for two positions.

My guess

Pangos*
Hanlan
Edwards
Scrubb*
Heslip
Arop
Ejim
Rivard*
Wiltjer
Powell*
Klassen
Bachynski*

http://www.basketball.ca/training-camp-roster-and-staff-announced-for-dmnt-p154103

Where's Bhullar?

OZZY
06-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Where's Bhullar?

Yes Spy, Sim is missing as well.....

13 x NCAA D1
3 x CIS (last team was all CIS from memory)

Tough pool with both the USA and Australia, Pool B much easier....

TheGonzagaFactor
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Where's Bhullar?

HA! good one.

ZagaZags
06-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Where's Bhullar?

It was Bhullars day off.

Bhullar, Bhullar, Bhullar, Bhullar?

CanadianZagFan
06-02-2013, 05:00 AM
It was Bhullars day off.

Bhullar, Bhullar, Bhullar, Bhullar?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Bhullar pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

CanadianZagFan
06-02-2013, 05:03 AM
On a serious note, it should be a pretty good squad, I am sure there are reasons for players that we feel should be there for not being available. They may need to be in school, or have team commitments with their Universities.

I also thought that the CIS had an agreement with Canada Basketball that the University team would only be CIS players, I guess that was a 1 time deal.

Mojo13
06-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Great squad for once. No point in continuing to embarass ourselves with a CIS squad. 95% of our talent is in the NCAA.

I would have really liked to see Khem on the team - interested to hear any gossip of why he isnt there. Missing big Bhullar is not a concern with Bachynski in the same role and better at this point in time. He can get down the court in under 15 seconds.

At first glance I thought we may be a little soft up front, but the Powell, Ejim, Bachynski combo really intrigues me. They seem to compliment each other well. Wiltjer is just too much of a defensive sieve for me to want him on the floor.

Great gaurds / wings...I cant think of anyone we are missing, that would be eligible (would have been cool to see KO, Kabongo and a healthy Bennett out there)

Mojo13
06-02-2013, 10:33 AM
come to think of it - suprised no Nik Stauskus or Dyshawn Pierre on the roster.

CanadianZagFan
06-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Great squad for once. No point in continuing to embarass ourselves with a CIS squad. 95% of our talent is in the NCAA.

I would have really liked to see Khem on the team - interested to hear any gossip of why he isnt there. Missing big Bhullar is not a concern with Bachynski in the same role and better at this point in time. He can get down the court in under 15 seconds.

At first glance I thought we may be a little soft up front, but the Powell, Ejim, Bachynski combo really intrigues me. They seem to compliment each other well. Wiltjer is just too much of a defensive sieve for me to want him on the floor.

Great gaurds / wings...I cant think of anyone we are missing, that would be eligible (would have been cool to see KO, Kabongo and a healthy Bennett out there)

You may want to actually have a clue to what you are talking about as far as saying the CIS group embarrassing itself. Here is a link to the 2011 team...it made the final, pretty good outing if you ask me. http://basketball.eurobasket.com/World_University_Games/news/Serbia_to_defend_title_against_Canada_in_Shenzhen/239020

Worthington
06-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Really good squad. Kevin has a good chance of being the starting PG, but the other guards on the team are going to give him some competition. His international experience will definitely help him stand out.

With the talent on this team, the cuts are going to be very hard to make.

OZZY
06-02-2013, 09:18 PM
come to think of it - suprised no Nik Stauskus or Dyshawn Pierre on the roster.

Yes Stauskas would have been nice, but with Ejim on the team I believe that Pierre would have had it tough to make it, I see them as playing the same role.

Summer School may be one of the reasons for some athletes not able to attend.

From what I understand with Canada basketball having ,more money these days, they have been able to cast the net further afield.

Both Triano and Nash played on the Uni squads back in their day with Jay winning a gold when it was in Edmonton. I understand they have really pushed hard for this squad, just have a look at where they are practicing...

sanders
06-03-2013, 08:38 AM
This looks like a great squad.

Another big (Birch or even Bhullar) would have been good for depth, but Ejim can play some minutes at the 4 if foul trouble or injuries limit the four true bigs on the roster.

I agree with Ozzy's roster and starter predictions, with the possible exception of Burnatowski beating out Arop for the last spot.

I thought Scrubb, Edwards, Hanlan, and Pangos had outside shots for backup spots for the senior team. And maybe they still do - the schedules don't conflict and a good showing in Russia could enhance their chances.

To add some more Gonzaga content, I think Olynyk is a cinch for the senior team (and should start and get major minutes).

I think Sacre will be in tough to get a spot, and they will likely favor Anthony because of his experience. With Olynyk, Thompson, and Anthony, it leaves two back up big spots. I think Kendall and Nicholson are most likely, unless they want another true C and opt for Sacre over one of them.

For Pangos, maybe he gets a spot behind C. Joseph and Anderson (I think C. Joseph's progressed a lot during the season, moving from 4th to 2nd on San Antonions PG depth, and should be the starter). They'll probably take Anderson for experience, leaving Pangos and Kabongo to battle for the 3rd spot if they take 3 PGs.

ZagNative
06-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Here's USA's training camp (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/worlduniversity/roster.html) tryout roster.

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 10:27 AM
This looks like a great squad.

Another big (Birch or even Bhullar) would have been good for depth, but Ejim can play some minutes at the 4 if foul trouble or injuries limit the four true bigs on the roster.

I agree with Ozzy's roster and starter predictions, with the possible exception of Burnatowski beating out Arop for the last spot.

I thought Scrubb, Edwards, Hanlan, and Pangos had outside shots for backup spots for the senior team. And maybe they still do - the schedules don't conflict and a good showing in Russia could enhance their chances.

To add some more Gonzaga content, I think Olynyk is a cinch for the senior team (and should start and get major minutes).

I think Sacre will be in tough to get a spot, and they will likely favor Anthony because of his experience. With Olynyk, Thompson, and Anthony, it leaves two back up big spots. I think Kendall and Nicholson are most likely, unless they want another true C and opt for Sacre over one of them.

For Pangos, maybe he gets a spot behind C. Joseph and Anderson (I think C. Joseph's progressed a lot during the season, moving from 4th to 2nd on San Antonions PG depth, and should be the starter). They'll probably take Anderson for experience, leaving Pangos and Kabongo to battle for the 3rd spot if they take 3 PGs.

I don't think Anderson or Anthony will be on any more future teams, but I could be wrong. I think this could be the senior team:

PG: Cojo, Kabongo, Pangos
SG: Rautins, English, Devoe Joseph
SF: Wiggins, Kris Joesph, Jevhon Shephard
PF: TT, Nicholson
C: Sacre, Olynyk

Mojo13
06-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Spy -
Good team, but I think it is still too young and I believe Joel and Anderson will be there to give some veteran experience.
I don’t see Kabongo on the team - if he is drafted 2nd round he has no contract and will be fighting all summer to get to the NBA. I also think Olynyk won't participate either (unfortunately) - don't NBA rooks need to focus on summer league and their new NBA teams demands?

What do you think about Dalembert? Nice to have, but I think he is done with the SMNT.

My guess:
PG: Cojo*, Anderson
SG: English*, Rautins, Devoe Joseph
SF: Wiggins, Kris Joesph*, Jevhon Shephard
PF: TT*, Nicholson
C: Anthony*, Sacre

*Expected Starters

I sure hope Carl English is healthy (got hurt at the end of his season). I think he is much better than most Canadians believe. I really respect Kendall in FIBA, but I think he is done with the SMNT.

We are still a couple years from being competitive, but I have hope we can qualify.

Any chance Nash plays to lend a hand? He could sure help drag the kids along.

sanders
06-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I don't think Anderson or Anthony will be on any more future teams, but I could be wrong. I think this could be the senior team:

PG: Cojo, Kabongo, Pangos
SG: Rautins, English, Devoe Joseph
SF: Wiggins, Kris Joesph, Jevhon Shephard
PF: TT, Nicholson
C: Sacre, Olynyk

I hope you're right - especially re Anthony.

But I suspect that for this summer more of the old guard will be around.

My guess:
PG: C. Joseph, Anderson
SG: English, Rautins
SF: Wiggins, K. Joseph, Shepherd
PF: Thompson, Kendall, Nicholson
C: Olynyk, Anthony

If Rautins doesn't return to the program, D. Joseph or Scrubb for that spot.

Mojo13
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
USA FISU training camp roster:

Attending training camp will be:
Eric Atkins (Notre Dame/Columbia, Md.);
Markel Brown (Oklahoma State/Alexandria, La.);
Deonte Burton (Nevada/Los Angeles, Calif.); Q
uinn Cook (Duke/Washington, D.C.);
Bryce Cotton (Providence/Tucson, Ariz.);
Spencer Dinwiddie (Colorado/Woodland Hills, Calif.);
C.J. Fair (Syracuse/Baltimore, Md.);
Yogi Ferrell (Indiana/Indianapolis, Ind.);
Davante Gardner (Marquette/Suffolk, Va.);
Treveon Graham (Virginia Commonwealth/Temple Hills, Md.);
Jerian Grant (Notre Dame/Bowie, Md.);
P.J. Hairston (North Carolina/Greensboro, N.C.);
A.J. Hammons (Purdue/Gary, Ind.);
Luke Hancock (Louisville/ Roanoke, Va.);
Joe Harris (Virginia/Chelan, Wash.);
Tyler Haws (BYU/Alpine, Utah);
Andre Hollins (Minnesota/ Memphis, Tenn.);
Rodney Hood (Duke/Meridian, Miss.); J
osh Huestis (Stanford/Great Falls, Mont.);
Cory Jefferson (Baylor/Killeen, Texas);
Sean Kilpatrick (Cincinnati/Yonkers, N.Y.);
Alex Kirk (New Mexico/Los Alamos, N.M.);
Devyn Marble (Iowa/Southfield, Mich.);
Doug McDermott (Creighton/Ames, Iowa);
Adreian Payne (Michigan State/Dayton, Ohio);
Chasson Randle (Stanford/Rock Island, Ill.);
Will Sheehey (Indiana/Stuart, Fla.);
Aaron White (Iowa/Strongsville, Ohio); and
Kendall Williams (New Mexico/Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.).

I don't know...but I like Canada's chances against the US (for once!)

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Spy -
Good team, but I think it is still too young and I believe Joel and Anderson will be there to give some veteran experience.
I don’t see Kabongo on the team - if he is drafted 2nd round he has no contract and will be fighting all summer to get to the NBA. I also think Olynyk won't participate either (unfortunately) - don't NBA rooks need to focus on summer league and their new NBA teams demands?

What do you think about Dalembert? Nice to have, but I think he is done with the SMNT.

My guess:
PG: Cojo*, Anderson
SG: English*, Rautins, Devoe Joseph
SF: Wiggins, Kris Joesph*, Jevhon Shephard
PF: TT*, Nicholson
C: Anthony*, Sacre

*Expected Starters

I sure hope Carl English is healthy (got hurt at the end of his season). I think he is much better than most Canadians believe. I really respect Kendall in FIBA, but I think he is done with the SMNT.

We are still a couple years from being competitive, but I have hope we can qualify.

Any chance Nash plays to lend a hand? He could sure help drag the kids along.

By the 2016 Olympics in Rio, I expect Canada to be the 2nd most talented team in the world. The talent pool to choose from will be sick:

PG: Cojo, Pangos, Kabongo, Ennis
SG: Rautins, Devoe Joseph, Hanlan, Stauskas, Edwards, Rathan-Mayes, Scrubb, Heslip
SF: Wiggins, Kris Joseph, Ejim, Arop, Burnatowski, Rivard, Dyshawn Pierre, Warren Williams
PF: TT, Nicholson, Bennett, Powell, Trey Lyles, Khem Birch, Wiltjer
C: Olynyk, Sacre Bhullar, Bachynski (x2)

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 12:45 PM
USA FISU training camp roster:

Attending training camp will be:
Eric Atkins (Notre Dame/Columbia, Md.);
Markel Brown (Oklahoma State/Alexandria, La.);
Deonte Burton (Nevada/Los Angeles, Calif.); Q
uinn Cook (Duke/Washington, D.C.);
Bryce Cotton (Providence/Tucson, Ariz.);
Spencer Dinwiddie (Colorado/Woodland Hills, Calif.);
C.J. Fair (Syracuse/Baltimore, Md.);
Yogi Ferrell (Indiana/Indianapolis, Ind.);
Davante Gardner (Marquette/Suffolk, Va.);
Treveon Graham (Virginia Commonwealth/Temple Hills, Md.);
Jerian Grant (Notre Dame/Bowie, Md.);
P.J. Hairston (North Carolina/Greensboro, N.C.);
A.J. Hammons (Purdue/Gary, Ind.);
Luke Hancock (Louisville/ Roanoke, Va.);
Joe Harris (Virginia/Chelan, Wash.);
Tyler Haws (BYU/Alpine, Utah);
Andre Hollins (Minnesota/ Memphis, Tenn.);
Rodney Hood (Duke/Meridian, Miss.); J
osh Huestis (Stanford/Great Falls, Mont.);
Cory Jefferson (Baylor/Killeen, Texas);
Sean Kilpatrick (Cincinnati/Yonkers, N.Y.);
Alex Kirk (New Mexico/Los Alamos, N.M.);
Devyn Marble (Iowa/Southfield, Mich.);
Doug McDermott (Creighton/Ames, Iowa);
Adreian Payne (Michigan State/Dayton, Ohio);
Chasson Randle (Stanford/Rock Island, Ill.);
Will Sheehey (Indiana/Stuart, Fla.);
Aaron White (Iowa/Strongsville, Ohio); and
Kendall Williams (New Mexico/Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.).

I don't know...but I like Canada's chances against the US (for once!)

I dunno, that team's pretty stacked. On a side note, I worked with Devyn Marble's mom, she was so proud of her son; really nice lady.

Mojo13
06-03-2013, 02:20 PM
By the 2016 Olympics in Rio, I expect Canada to be the 2nd most talented team in the world. The talent pool to choose from will be sick:

PG: Cojo, Pangos, Kabongo, Ennis
SG: Rautins, Devoe Joseph, Hanlan, Stauskas, Edwards, Rathan-Mayes, Scrubb, Heslip
SF: Wiggins, Kris Joseph, Ejim, Arop, Burnatowski, Rivard, Dyshawn Pierre, Warren Williams
PF: TT, Nicholson, Bennett, Powell, Trey Lyles, Khem Birch, Wiltjer
C: Olynyk, Sacre Bhullar, Bachynski (x2)

I do appreciate your optimism and I hope it comes true, but I am skeptical and think we Canucks are a little unrealistic with our expectations right now.

To be the top 2nd best team in the world (after the US) you need a roster full of top flight pros. Your entire team needs to comprise of NBA starters, along with a couple NBA All-Stars and at worst the top, top players from the Euro leagues.

The only potential all-star I see is Wiggins (still not a sure thing), TT is maybe an all-star and at worst a solid starting NBA player. Kabongo, Olynyk, Kris Joseph, Cory Joseph and Sacre could all easily be out of the NBA in a couple years. I think Cory and KO stick in the league along with Bennett and Nicholson - all will be rotational players, maybe a starter or two among them, with Bennett the most upside. Most of the rest you mention will never sniff the NBA (it so darn hard). Although I would bet on Ennis, Lyles and maybe Powell.

You really think Canada is going to be better than all of Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, Croatia, Greece, Lithuania and Serbia? Maybe one or two - but not all. No way.

My hopes are with you though - I made a significant bet with my American friend that Canada will medal at the Olys or Worlds by 2022. I was a little inebriated and am pretty worried about the bet. Time is on my side though....

Mojo13
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
I dunno, that team's pretty stacked. On a side note, I worked with Devyn Marble's mom, she was so proud of her son; really nice lady.

I am sure you are right - I am just saying there is a chance! One game.

It not like I would expect a 40 point shellacking per usual.

sanders
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I do appreciate your optimism and I hope it comes true, but I am skeptical and think we Canucks are a little unrealistic with our expectations right now.

To be the top team after the US in the world you need a roster full of top flight pros. Your entire team needs to comprised of NBA starters along with a couple NBA All-Stars and at worst top, top players from the Euro leagues.

The only potential all-star I see is Wiggins (still not a sure thing), TT is maybe an all-star but at worst solid starting pro. Kabongo, Olynyk, Kris Joseph, Cory Joseph and Sacre could all easily be out of the NBA in a couple years (I think Cory and KO stick along with Bennett and Nicholson). Most of the rest you mention will never get to the NBA (it so darn hard). Although I would bet on Ennis, Lyles and maybe Powell.

You really think Canada is going to be better than all of Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, Croatia, Greece, Lithuania or Serbia. Maybe one or two - but not all. No way.

My hopes are with you though - I made a significant bet with my American pal that Canada will medal at the Olys or Worlds by 2022. I was a little inebriated and am pretty worried about the bet. Time is on my side though....

I think by the 2015-16 season Canada will have five to seven NBA rotation guys.

I would count Wiggins, Thompson, and Bennett as near certainties.

Add two to three of:
C. Joseph
Nicholson
Olynyk

And maybe even one or two others emerge, with the most likely candidates being:
Powell
Ennis
Birch
Lyles (could be rookie in 15/16 if only year of college)
K. Joseph
Sacre
Kabongo

How does that compare with other countries? How many NBA rotation guys did Spain have on their team last summer? The Gasols, Calderon, Ibaka and Fernandez? Arguably Rodriguez?

How many did Russia have? One starter in Kirilenko and two quasi-rotation guys in Shved and Mozgov?

Argentina, I believe, only has Ginobli and Delfino (and arguably Prigioni).

Brazil has only Splitter and Varejo (I wouldn't count Barbosa as a regular)

Their top flight Euro-league guys might be better than our near-NBA guys, but in terms of NBA guys getting >15 mins/game, I would not be surprised if Canada were 2nd or 3rd by 2015/16. (Canada probably wasn't far from second or third in 2012 - with Anthony, Dalembert, Nash, and Thompson, but the problem was lack of participation and lack of depth).

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM

To be the top 2nd best team in the world (after the US) you need a roster full of top flight pros. Your entire team needs to comprise of NBA starters, along with a couple NBA All-Stars and at worst the top, top players from the Euro leagues.

The only potential all-star I see is Wiggins (still not a sure thing), TT is maybe an all-star and at worst a solid starting NBA player. Kabongo, Olynyk, Kris Joseph, Cory Joseph and Sacre could all easily be out of the NBA in a couple years. I think Cory and KO stick in the league along with Bennett and Nicholson - all will be rotational players, maybe a starter or two among them, with Bennett the most upside. Most of the rest you mention will never sniff the NBA (it so darn hard). Although I would bet on Ennis, Lyles and maybe Powell.

You really think Canada is going to be better than all of Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, Croatia, Greece, Lithuania and Serbia? Maybe one or two - but not all. No way.

My hopes are with you though - I made a significant bet with my American friend that Canada will medal at the Olys or Worlds by 2022. I was a little inebriated and am pretty worried about the bet. Time is on my side though....

Not true at all. Other than USA, the majority of top teams, i.e. France, Lithuania, Argentina, Russia, Turkey, Spain, etc. all have more non NBA players than NBA. By 2016, Canada will have more players in the NBA than any country except USA.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/openNodeIDs/943/selNodeID/943/rankMen.html

Mojo13
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I do agree. Canada may have #2 amount of NBA players in a couple years - think right now we are #3.

Suprisingly France is #2 right now. 10 plus with a couple allstars mixed in (Noah, Parker, maybe Batum one day).

The other teams have more history (familiarity with each other, consistancy of coaching and play style) and way more FIBA experience. I think in FIBA rules, a top Euro is more valuable than an end of the bench NBA'r. It is enough of a different game for experience to be a major factor (thats why I love Carl English for Canada).

Guys like Jose Navarro or Segio Llull are far more valuable in FIBA than a Joel Anthony or Rob Sacre (probably in the NBA too). How many times have we witnessed Scola, Kleiza, and Kirelinko dominate in FIBA?

Keep in mind there are many top Euro's who could play (or have played) in the NBA but choose to play in Europe for a number of reasons. Want to stay in their home country, want more minutes, want to be a star over a bench guy...

OZZY
06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Back to this team for a minute.....

Kevin should start and with all the weapons around him it will be interesting to see how much of a true point guard role he plays in the system as opposed to The GU offence. There are plenty of good shooters to feed with the likes of Hanlan, Heslip, Scrubb, Rivard and Wiltjer all above average from beyond the arc. I see a team that will live and die from the outside....

sanders
06-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Back to this team for a minute.....

Kevin should start and with all the weapons around him it will be interesting to see how much of a true point guard role he plays in the system as opposed to The GU offence. There are plenty of good shooters to feed with the likes of Hanlan, Heslip, Scrubb, Rivard and Wiltjer all above average from beyond the arc. I see a team that will live and die from the outside....

Agreed.

Did Hanlan play much point for BC? I don't really see a backup point on this team (unless Mullings makes it). Pangos not only should start, but should play a ton of minutes.

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Agreed.

Did Hanlan play much point for BC? I don't really see a backup point on this team (unless Mullings makes it). Pangos not only should start, but should play a ton of minutes.

No, Hanlan is a sg and a stud one at that; best freshman sg in the nation this past season. I think he was a little "under the radar" because he is from the Quebec suburbs of Ottawa.

DixieZag
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
No, Hanlan is a sg and a stud one at that; best freshman sg in the nation this past season. I think he was a little "under the radar" because he is from the Quebec suburbs of Ottawa.

I am a proud dual Canadian/American with a big fondness for home. It would surprise most Americans how many Quebecois have been left "under the radar" in any number of areas since the province went all French all the time in the late 70s.

Doing so may well have invoked pride in heritage but it did nothing to help spur interest in the national and international English press. The reinforced insularity has hurt the province long term, IMHO.

Ok, that was nothing about nothing, just a view disputed by absolutely no one west of Ottawa.

Canada's rise in international basketball has been impressive and looks to be gaining speed. We would do well to keep those contacts close.

sanders
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I know he is a stud sg, i was just wondering if he got any minutes at PG when Rahon was out of the game.

Like I said above, I just don't who is going to get minutes at point for Canada when Pangos is out of the game, and was wondering if any of the numerous SGs on the roster have even a little experience at point.

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I know he is a stud sg, i was just wondering if he got any minutes at PG when Rahon was out of the game.

Like I said above, I just don't who is going to get minutes at point for Canada when Pangos is out of the game, and was wondering if any of the numerous SGs on the roster have even a little experience at point.

Mullings and Heslip both played spot minutes at pg for their respective teams when the starting pg's went out.

CanadianZagFan
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Justin Edwards can run some point as well as Phil Scrub.

DixieZag
06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
I had a question for our Canadian friends regarding some of the younger set, the "next generation" of team Canada players for lack of a better term.

Are there any high school kids that have expressed interest in the Gonzaga program that we might be recruiting?

It has seemed to me that the recruiting services are not able to cover the Canadian kids with as much detail as Americans and therefore some good prospects may be in the pipeline or even on GU's radar and few people would know about it.

I would think that when it comes to Canadian recruiting, the use of Sacre, Olynick and Pangos would be a huge benefit.

thespywhozaggedme
06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I had a question for our Canadian friends regarding some of the younger set, the "next generation" of team Canada players for lack of a better term.

Are there any high school kids that have expressed interest in the Gonzaga program that we might be recruiting?

It has seemed to me that the recruiting services are not able to cover the Canadian kids with as much detail as Americans and therefore some good prospects may be in the pipeline or even on GU's radar and few people would know about it.

I would think that when it comes to Canadian recruiting, the use of Sacre, Olynick and Pangos would be a huge benefit.

The last one that I spoke about was Dwayne Notice; one of Kevin's buddies growing up. He listed us as his top team for a few years, but for whatever reason apparently Few didn't reciprocate the feelings, so he signed with South Carolina. Supposedly there's a couple prospects from BC that are on GU's radar.

Mojo13
06-03-2013, 08:14 PM
NoT sure if Gonzaga is on anyone of these guys lists. But besides Trey Lyles the top young Canadians include:
Kevin Zabo. 2014
Chris Egi 2015
Montique Gill Ceser 2015
Justin Jackson 2016
Jamal Murray 2016

I am sure there are others to watch and the other Canucks on the board can add to this list.

Most of these kids are CIA bounce AAU players so they get the most press. I am sure there are many other players from other parts of the country I am missing.

Worthington
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Chris Egi is a guy that I hope we are already on. At least a top 50 player for 2015 and a straight A student. Super high character kid and would be a great fit here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKq0eGzfno

OZZY
06-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Ontario Guard Jamal Murray has decent size, handles and tenacity, simular to KP in attitude.

In recent times B.C. has not had the success with guards as much as forwards, with only Niko Cochran of Davidson and Phil Scribb of CIS's Carlton really making an impact.

That might change soon....

VinnyZag
06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I'm all for Gonzaga guys playing for their national teams in the summer. But usually fans on our board are critical of guys for doing that -- Karnowski, Harris, etc. Why is everybody OK with Pangos playing? Shouldn't HE be in Spokane slavishly working on his game all summer?

Oregonzagnut
06-04-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm all for Gonzaga guys playing for their national teams in the summer. But usually fans on our board are critical of guys for doing that -- Karnowski, Harris, etc. Why is everybody OK with Pangos playing? Shouldn't HE be in Spokane slavishly working on his game all summer?

It does have some possible negative consequences. Like Harris beating himself up, injuring himself and having a horrible sophomore year which possibly cost him millions AND cost the team a 100% healthy PF.

Injury ends some careers, BUT not playing insures you have no career. Balance.

But with balance there also is fluke. Video game wrist injury flukes. Pick up game flukes. Practice and weight lifting flukes. People get hurt. So I have mixed feelings about national teams taking our guys. But in the end, playing for your country is a duty in many ways and if I were in their shoes, I would play when I know I am healthy and abstain if I needed the rest or had done it the year before.

I would do it the first chance I got, then after that, I would say I did my duty but now my duty is to my college and hence, my lifelong career.

75Zag
06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Notice that you don't see very many 'Nerlens Noel' type players signing up for the US national team. Players in that category don't need the additional exposure and don't want the injury risk. But mid level players can benefit from their national team exposure, particularly if they are European players who frequently need to return to Europe if they want to play basketball after college. On balance, I don't see anything wrong with GU players seeking to play for their national teams, particularly where they make the extra effort to be available at the GU campus for the remainder of the summer where they can work on conditioning and drills.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
06-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Notice that you don't see very many 'Nerlens Noel' type players signing up for the US national team. Players in that category don't need the additional exposure and don't want the injury risk. But mid level players can benefit from their national team exposure, particularly if they are European players who frequently need to return to Europe if they want to play basketball after college. On balance, I don't see anything wrong with GU players seeking to play for their national teams, particularly where they make the extra effort to be available at the GU campus for the remainder of the summer where they can work on conditioning and drills.

Go Bulldogs!

Agreed, we - understandably - tend to look at the negative possibilities given Harris' experience but there are upside possibilities, too. They gain experience against elite competition, can gain confidence, etc. I still think I would prefer them to stay but I do recognize that some benefit.

OZZY
06-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I understand the concerns that many board posters have re: national teams..

75. re the 'Nerlens Noel's' comment, for Canadians it might be a bit different. Higher profile Canadian players like Tristan Thompson, Andrew Wiggins and Corey Joseph still find ways of playing for Canada. Historically most of the young up and coming players have.

IMHO, Kevin would not have been the player he has for the first two years at GU (maturity and poise) if it wasn't for the opportunity to get coached by the top coaches and play against the top players in his age groups. The experience he gained gave him (and coach Few) the confidence to lead a team that had experienced D1 players already on it. Another less experienced player might have taken till his junior season to reach that point.

ZagNative
06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
I didn't realize the China trip was coming so soon! Last night from twitter:
Kevin Pangos ‏@KPangos 9h

Off to China in the AM.. I am so grateful for everything basketball allows me to do and places I am able to see! One mission tho.. #winning

sanders
06-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Do you know the schedule for the exhibition games in China? I can't find any information on the Basketball Canada or FIBA sites.

And further to a point raised above, during an interview a couple days ago on the Fan, Triano made it sound like the development team and senior team would be completely distinct. He didn't come out and say that no players from the development team would be considered for senior team later in the summer, but that's the sense I got.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Do you know the schedule for the exhibition games in China? I can't find any information on the Basketball Canada or FIBA sites.

And further to a point raised above, during an interview a couple days ago on the Fan, Triano made it sound like the development team and senior team would be completely distinct. He didn't come out and say that no players from the development team would be considered for senior team later in the summer, but that's the sense I got.

Here's a thread on interbasket for the tourney. The updates are pretty thorough:

http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?23723-2013-World-University-Games

ZagNative
06-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I haven't been able to find schedules yet. All I've seen is this blurb (http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060413aab.html):
Selected team members will travel to China June 8-20 to compete in nine international games and the team also will compete in the FISU games in Russia July 6 -17. The FISU Summer Universiade, also known as the World University Games, features the top tier of student athletes from across the globe competing in the largest international sporting event outside of the Olympic Games. The event will take place in Kazan, Russia from July 6 to 17.

Oregonzagnut
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Sorry to sound sexist ZagNative, but as a male who has travelled to the orient (Indonesia), Chinese (esp women) love guys who are 1-2 feet taller than 99% of the population. At 5'8" even I was nearly a foot taller than the women. And they love western superstars in China.

Then on to Russia..... If we thought they were rock stars here just wait till they get to China and Russia.

When going to Russia, my suggestion is DO NOT watch the movie "Hostel" before hand.

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 10:51 AM
And now the training camp tryout roster for the U-19 squad:

Canada
Matthew Atewe 6-9 PF Auburn 1994
Manroop Clair 6-2 PG Hawaii 1994
Jabari Craig 6-10 C New Birth Christian Academy 1995
Joey De Ciman 6-5 SG Colorado State 1994
Chris Egi 6-8 PF St. Andrew's College 1996
Tyler Ennis 6-2 PG Syracuse 1994
Justin Jackson 6-6 SF Eastern Commerce 1997
Miroslav Jaksic 6-9 PF Walled Lake Western 1994
Kaza Keane 6-2 PG Illinois State 1994
Trey Lyles 6-10 PF Arsenal Technical HS 1995
Mikyle McIntosh 6-6 PF Illinois State 1994
Conor Morgan 6-8 PF University of British Columbia 1994
Duane Notice 6-3 PG South Carolina 1994
Agunwa Okolie 6-8 SF Harvard 1994
Emmanuel Owootoah 5-10 PG Cordia School
Marko Pirovic 6-7 PF Maine 1994
Xavier Rathan-Mayes 6-4 SG Florida State 1994
Jamal Reynolds 6-4 SF Howard (JUCO) 1994
Marial Shayok 6-6 SF Blair Academy 1995
Denzell Taylor 6-7 SF Old Dominion 1994
Andrew Wiggins 6-7 SG Kansas 1995
Kevin Zabo 6-1 PG Brewster Academy 1995

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2VSnWqM2m
http://www.draftexpress.com

From basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/jmnt-training-camp-roster-and-staff-announced-p154134):
The Junior Men’s National Team (JMNT) training camp will begin on June 9 with 22 talented athletes. The 10-day camp will be held at Ryerson University’s Kerr Hall Gymnasium following the junior age-group open tryout on June 8. On June 11, JMNT hopefuls will be split into two groups to compete against one another in the 2013 edition of the Red and White intrasquad game.
ollowing training camp, the JMNT’s first test will come in the form of a pair of exhibition games against two solid opponents: Brazil and the United States. The two tune-up contests will lead directly into this summer’s FIBA U19 World Championship in the Czech Republic. The premiere competition for the U19 age-group will begin on June 27 and finish on July 7 where one team will be crowned world champions.

thespywhozaggedme
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
And now the training camp tryout roster for the U-19 squad:

From basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/jmnt-training-camp-roster-and-staff-announced-p154134):

That team is STACKED. As I said 8 years ago, canada will be the first team to consistently give USA a run for their money in the foreseeable future.

Mojo13
06-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Looks great at guard and wings. Seems a little weak (young and small) up front - other than Lyles and don't know much about the PFs and Cs.

Give me some help guys - I dont follow these kids close enough to know. I usually learn about them from following these events.

Who they run at center last year?

I assume a starting core of:
PG - Ennis
SG - XRM
SF - Wiggins
PF - Lyles
C - ????

Who else makes this team and plays significant minutes?

I wonder if Justin Jackson and Chris Egi are there just for camp experience or are serious to make the team - they are youngsters.

thespywhozaggedme
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Looks great at guard and wings. Seems a little weak (young and small) up front - other than Lyles and don't know much about the PFs and Cs.

Give me some help guys - I dont follow these kids close enough to know. I usually learn about them from following these events.

PG - Ennis
SG - XRM
SF - Wiggins
PF - Lyles
C - ????

I wonder if Justin Jackson and Chris Egi are there just for camp experience or are serious to make the team - they are youngsters.

That starting 4 is better than USA's starting 4 at the same positions. It's crazy to think we would ever say that.

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 01:52 PM
14-man roster and schedule for the DMNT on basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-headed-to-four-nations-tournament-p154141)

4 Kevin Pangos Guard 6-1 Holland Landing, Ont.
5 Brady Heslip Guard 6-2 Burlington, Ont.
6 Kyle Wiltjer Forward 6-9 Portland, Ore.
7 Melvin Ejim Guard 6-6 Toronto, Ont.
8 Thomas Scrubb Forward 6-5 Montreal, Que.
9 Mangisto Arop Guard 6-6 Edmonton, Alta.
10 Laurent Rivard Guard 6-5 Saint-Bruno, Que.
11 Philip Scrubb Guard 6-3 Richmond, B.C.
12 Dwight Powell Forward 6-9 Toronto, Ont.
13 Jordan Bachynski Centre 7-2 Calgary, Alta.
14 Murphy Burnatowski Forward 6-7 Waterloo, Ont.
15 Owen Klassen Forward 6-10 Kingston, Ont.
16 Daniel Mullings Forward 6-2 Toronto, Ont.
17 Grant Mullins Guard 6-3 Burlington, Ont..
Schedule
Date Opponent Location Time (ET)
June 8 United States Kaixian, China 8:30 a.m.
June 9 China Kaixian, China 7:00 a.m.
June 10 Latvia Kaixian, China 7:00 a.m.
June 12 China Huaihua, China 7:00 a.m.
June 13 United States Huaihua, China 8:30 a.m.
June 14 Latvia Huaihua, China 7:00 a.m.
June 16 United States Wuqi, China 8:30 a.m.
June 17 China Wuqi, China 7:00 a.m.
June 18 Latvia Wuqi, China 7:00 a.m.
The USA team Canada will be playing in the exhibition series in China is not the regular USA University Games squad. It's an All-Star team assembled and run by Net Scouts, per this story (http://netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/netscouts-basketball-usa-mens-all-stars-head-to-four-nations-tournament-in-china/).

A USA Men’s All-Star Basketball team is leaving for China to participate in an important international basketball tournament. The “Four Nations” tournament features the Chinese National team, The Canadian Federation University team and the National team of Latvia in addition to the USA. The team, organized and coached by NetScouts Basketball, will play a round-robin format in three cities for a total of nine games. The team will play six games in the Chongqing City area and then fly to the Wuqi District of Yanan City for the final three games. The team will return to the United States on June 20th.

The NetScouts Basketball USA All-Stars are comprised of Derek Needham 5’11, PG (Fairfield/Dolton, IL), Oliver McNally 6’3, G (Harvard, NBL Canada/ San Francisco, CA), Derrick Rodgers 6’1, PG (Portland/Rancho Cucamunga, CA), Mike Moore 6’5, G (Hofstra/New Haven, CT), Devin Sweetney 6’6, G/F (St. Francis (PA), NBL Canada/Washington, D.C.), Robert Crawford 6’6, G/F (Central Arkansas/Tulsa, OK), Roger Franklin 6’5, F/G (North Texas/Duncanville, TX), Jonathan Morse 6’8, F (Metro State/Boulder, CO), Isaac Butts 6’10, C (Appalachian State,, NBL Canada/Milledgeville, GA), Mike Davis 6’11, C (Seton Hall, Romania/Brooklyn, NY) and Jason Conrad 7’0, C (Chico State, Gilroy, CA)

sanders
06-06-2013, 02:44 PM
So the only two guys on the initial camp roster who aren't on the list of those going to China are Hanlan and Edwards.

I have a hard time believing they were cut. So I figure they couldn't make the trip due to school or other commitments. Or maybe are being seriously considered for senior team and Triano wants to keep the two groups distinct.

The schedule is pretty rigorous. Nine games in three cities over 11 days.

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
I'd sure love to see some video from those games, to see the crowds and the facilities.

I suppose it's too much to hope for, eh?

sanders
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM

PG - Ennis
SG - XRM
SF - Wiggins
PF - Lyles
C - ????

Last year Atewe and Braxton Bunce were the Cs on the roster. Each only played about 8 mins a game, so most of the time Canada went with no true C and Lyles was the tallest guy on the floor. Pirovic and Taylor (each 6'7") got the next most minutes behind the big 4 you listed above.

This year Bunce is the only guy from last year's team not on the tryout roster. I see a couple new bigs in Craig (6'10") and Jaksic (6'9").

But I suspect it will be like last year, with no true C in for much of the game.

Pangos4Three
06-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Here's a picture Brady Heslip posted with Kevin from China. Looks like they're having fun! I think they play against the China team tomorrow.

http://instagram.com/p/aQiPTfTAtD/#

jazzdelmar
06-07-2013, 05:46 AM
appears to be more a wonderful cultural/educational experience than a basketball challenge, if the talent level of the usa team is any barometer. kp wont be squaring off with any pt guards as good or better than him, it seems. just have fun and stay healthy.

DixieZag
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM
What a great experience! Playing on the other side of the world for your country, someone else paying for the whole thing, meeting new guys. . .

Good for him.

sanders
06-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Canada beats China 70-66.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DMNT

I haven't seen boxscore or any other details anywhere.

The schedule linked above had Canada playing U.S. in opener, so I guess there was a schedule change?

thespywhozaggedme
06-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Canada beats China 70-66.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DMNT

I haven't seen boxscore or any other details anywhere.

The schedule linked above had Canada playing U.S. in opener, so I guess there was a schedule change?

This isn't the University Games; they start in July. This is a 4 team exhibition prep tournament.

http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-headed-to-four-nations-tournament-p154141

thespywhozaggedme
06-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Of the 14 man roster, lot's of Zags connections; one current Zag (Pangos) one former Zag (Manny) and one potential future Zag (Kyle). Wonder how much recruiting Kevin will do towards KW for the next month.

Pangos4Three
06-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Here are a few pictures posted of Kevin and his teammates. Seems like they're happy with their new jerseys! :)

http://instagram.com/p/aSvBNzOUv8/

http://instagram.com/p/aTVF-fzAqU/

ZagNative
06-08-2013, 09:44 AM
From basketball.ca: (http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-opens-with-a-victory-at-four-nations-tournament-p154152)
The Development Men’s National Team (DMNT) began its exhibition schedule today with an impressive 70-66 win over host-nation China. Despite a loud and energetic crowd showing it support for the home-side, Team Canada stayed focused and settled into its new surroundings with controlled play and hard work.

Canada trailed by a slim 36-34 margin at half-time, but responded well in the second half with a strong push to claim the victory. Jay Triano returned to the bench for the Canada and marked the occasion with a solid effort. The win was the Tillsonburg, Ont. native’s first since being announced as the head coach of the Senior Men’s National Team late last summer.

Coach Triano believes his team opened the tournament well against a difficult opponent. “It was good to get the guys in a game especially a game like tonight, facing the host country. China was physical, but I felt that when we matched their physicality, we were able to take control of the game.”

When asked about the team’s play, Triano added, “I thought we didn't have our best game, but we showed some positives in some possessions. Overall the coaching staff is very proud of our athletes tonight."

Holland Landing, Ont. native and Gonzaga University standout, Kevin Pangos, was happy to start the summer season and looks forward to growing as a team. “It was great to finally get on the court after a long few days of traveling. I felt like we got better throughout the game and we can be very good by the end of this trip. The game conditions weren't the best with the slippery floor and humid conditions, but we persevered.”

Canada will continue the Four Nation’s International Tournament tomorrow when they play against Team USA at 8:30 a.m. The four-team competition will act as a tune-up for this summer’s upcoming World University Games in Kazan, Russia.

ZagNative
06-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Per basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/wiggins-will-be-unavailable-to-join-jmnt-this-summer-p154154):

WIGGINS WILL BE UNAVAILABLE TO JOIN JMNT THIS SUMMER

Andrew Wiggins has decided to spend the summer preparing for his upcoming year at Kansas University. Wiggins, who is entering his freshman year, has been a member of the Canadian national team in both 2010 and 2012. Last year, the Junior Men's National Team captured the bronze medal at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship to secure a berth at this year's FIBA U19 World Championship in Prague, Czech Republic at the end of June. Head coach Roy Rana will begin training camp this Sunday to prepare the team for this competition.

sanders
06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Canada beat the U.S. 75-73 in their second game.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23DMNT

jazzdelmar
06-09-2013, 08:30 AM
KP scores?

DixieZag
06-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Canada beat the U.S. 75-73 in their second game.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23DMNT

Impressive.

I am not impressed with the "slippery" court, that can be dangerous and seems easily preventable.

ZagNative
06-09-2013, 01:05 PM
No stats for KP in this game story from basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/canada-defeats-team-usa-at-four-nations-tournament-p154156):

The Development Men’s National Team (DMNT) continued its strong play in China with a close 75-73 victory over the United States. The team opened the nine-game Four Nations’ International Invitational Tournament on Saturday with a hard-fought 70-66 win over the host nation.

It is always special when Team Canada faces Team USA in international competition and this occasion proved to be no different. Toronto, Ont. native Dwight Powell began the game with energy and quickly put up 8 points in the opening frame. Daniel Mullings brought the Canadian bench and the lively crowd to its feet with a rim-rattling put-back dunk as Canada built a 44-35 advantage at the midway point of the game.

The DMNT continued to play well in the third quarter and pushed the lead to 58-48 with strong play at both ends of the court. Team USA showed character and resolve in making a late run to challenge the Canadians and knotted the game at 73 to set the stage for some late-gamer heroics from the Red and White. With 0.05 seconds left in the game, a determined Kyle Wiltjer was fouled and sent to the line. He calmly made both free throws to earn Canada the win.

Wiltjer led the Canadians with 17 points, including a perfect 5-for-5 performance from the line. Powell finished the game with 16 point and added four rebounds. When asked about playing their North American rivals, Wiltjer said, "it was a great team effort tonight. For me, it is always fun to play against the USA since I live there. The guards did a good job of making good passes down the stretch and finding me when I was open. We got some good calls down the stretch which also helped.”

He believes the Canadians put together a strong effort, but sees the opportunity for growth. “The good thing about this game is that we are getting better, but there is still room for improvement.” Head coach Jay Triano added that “we were fortunate to hang on and pull out the win. We can't let teams come back after being up by nine. We haven't been shooting the ball well, but are finding ways to gut it out."

The DMNT faces Latvia next to close out the portion of the tournament taking place in Kaixian. On Tuesday, the teams will have a travel day to make their way to Huaihua where the four squads of student athletes will once again face one another in a stretch of three games in three days beginning on Wednesday. Canada and the United States will renew their rivalry on Thursday.

ZagNative
06-09-2013, 09:51 PM
The fellas go grocery shopping (https://vine.co/v/bLVhZHHMrlT) in China! (click the audio button in the upper left corner!)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IEEmuCLThM8/UbVolbQNcNI/AAAAAAABgGw/2OxQxZkI7h8/s512/2013-06-09%2520China.jpg

Oregonzagnut
06-10-2013, 08:39 AM
The fellas go grocery shopping (https://vine.co/v/bLVhZHHMrlT) in China! (click the audio button in the upper left corner!)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IEEmuCLThM8/UbVolbQNcNI/AAAAAAABgGw/2OxQxZkI7h8/s512/2013-06-09%2520China.jpg

Funny.

Rabbit, octopus, and tripe. Mmmm good.

Who is the guy he is with?

Zagdawg
06-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Kyle Wiltjer

thespywhozaggedme
06-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Funny.

Rabbit, octopus, and tripe. Mmmm good.

Who is the guy he is with?

His future teammate and fellow baby faced assasin; Kyle Wiltjer.

ZagNative
06-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Here's a tweet with the score of the game v. Latvia:
Chris Cheng ‏@Coach_Cheng 4h

Here is the Final Score Canada! Now heading back to the hotel to change & get ready 4 the closing ceremony

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMZpgatCIAIWZoD.jpg:large

sanders
06-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Here's the game story re the win over Latvia.

http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-remains-perfect-in-china-with-win-over-latvia-p154158

Goshzagit
06-10-2013, 09:58 AM
His future teammate and fellow baby faced assasin; Kyle Wiltjer.

Spy, I've heard you mention/elude to this numerous times the past few months.

What makes you believe this is still a possibility? Or are you referring to Canada and/or Gonzaga?

Since the article below was published, there have been several sources close to the situation stating he isn't going anywhere. He also tweets with Coach Calipari on a weekly basis and staying in Lexington this Summer. Besides some rumors swirling in March, is this more 'wishful' thinking on your part? Just curious...

UK Basketball: Kyle Wiltjer says he will not transfer and will stay at Kentucky for junior season

April 02, 2013 | By LARRY VAUGHT

Kyle Wiltjer felt Kentucky’s season was an “eye-opener” for him and teammates following the national championship year when everything seemed to go right for the Wildcats.

“It just shows us how much work we have to put in to get better individually and as a team,” said Wiltjer after UK’s season ended with a NIT loss at Robert Morris. “It has been a disappointing season, but life is more than just basketball. We have to really stay positive and use this loss to our advantage now and use this season, as bad as it was, to learn from it and get better.”

Wiltjer averaged 10.2 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. He shot 36.7 percent from 3-point range and 81 percent at the foul line. He had 50 assists in 33 games. He was also named the Southeastern Conference Sixth Man of the Year.

However, like his teammates, Wiltjer had his struggles. He often had problems defensively and was not as physical on the boards as coach John Calipari wanted. He also had stretches where he had trouble making shots.

While rumors circulated that he would transfer, Wiltjer never indicated he wanted to leave and reminded anyone who asked that he came to UK because he felt the competition would make him better. Yet as Calipari continued to add recruits for next season, Wiltjer’s departure kept being the source of rumors.

Once again Monday he tried to end those rumors via Twitter hours before UK issued a release indicating Archie Goodwin would put his name into the NBA draft but that Wiltjer and freshman Willie Cauley-Stein, who had been rumored to be leaning to leaving for the draft, would stay at Kentucky.

Here is what Wiltjer posted in a series of tweets on Twitter: “I just want everyone to know I AM NOT TRANSFERRING. The thought never crossed my mind. I love Coach Cal and the staff, UK, and the BBN. After talking with coach and the staff I understand what I need to do. This summer, I'm going to work hard to come back next season better and stronger to help my team fight for #9!”

Kentucky is already considered the favorite to win the 2014 national title by some because of its heralded recruiting class and return of Willie Cauley-Stein along with Wiltjer to go with the new players. Freshman forward Alex Poythress could also opt to stay at UK as Cauley-Stein did and not enter the NBA draft.
“I just have to put in a lot of work this summer and be ready to get more consistent. Just improving and staying positive. Just work on consistency,” Wiltjer said after the Robert Morris loss. “It is definitely always tough to stay positive when someone is criticizing or questioning you . I have good parents who keep me grounded, who tell me to be positive and keep working hard.”

Wiljter said he plans to work on his “athleticism” to become a better player.

“Working on my body physically and mentally and keep working on my skills as well,” he said.

webspinnre
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I'd figured that it was just a joke about the constant references we have here on GUB. Maybe I was wrong.

ZagNative
06-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I wish we wouldn't derail this already unwieldy thread with silly speculation about Kyle joining the Zags. He seems to have done all he could to tamp down the speculation.

Oh, well...

cjm720
06-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Spy, I've heard you mention/elude to this numerous times the past few months.

What makes you believe this is still a possibility? Or are you referring to Canada and/or Gonzaga?

Since the article below was published, there have been several sources close to the situation stating he isn't going anywhere. He also tweets with Coach Calipari on a weekly basis and staying in Lexington this Summer. Besides some rumors swirling in March, is this more 'wishful' thinking on your part? Just curious...

KW will play on the Canada National team, most likely, and so will Kevin. I think that's what Spy's talking about.

Edited to add that KW has dual citizenship with US and Canada.

thespywhozaggedme
06-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Just joking around. Trying to lighten the mood. It's my 41st b'day today, btw.

Oregonzagnut
06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Just joking around. Trying to lighten the mood. It's my 41st b'day today, btw.

Ill try to lighten the mood, but at 41, it is all downhill from there. :jk:

Happy Birthday Spy!

Assuming you went to Gonzaga, you were a frosh when I was a Jr. I am sure we have met. I was the mealplan card "swiper" at the COG for 2 years. I met virtually every freshman and sophomore for 2 straight years by standing at that little desk and swiping everyones card 1-2 times a day. Also all the priests, nuns and staff too. Good times at GU.

thespywhozaggedme
06-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Ill try to lighten the mood, but at 41, it is all downhill from there. :jk:

Happy Birthday Spy!

Assuming you went to Gonzaga, you were a frosh when I was a Jr. I am sure we have met. I was the mealplan card "swiper" at the COG for 2 years. I met virtually every freshman and sophomore for 2 straight years by standing at that little desk and swiping everyones card 1-2 times a day. Also all the priests, nuns and staff too. Good times at GU.

Never went to GU, I'm a Furman man; similar schools in a lot of ways. But thanks for the birthday wishes.

sanders
06-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Another win over the U.S. - this time 86-62.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DMNT&src=hash

ZagNative
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Canada wins over China, 81-62, (http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-5-0-following-victory-over-host-nation-china-p154194) leaving them 5-0. I haven't seen any stats provided for Kevin in the games thus far.

OZZY
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Canada wins over China, 81-62, (http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-5-0-following-victory-over-host-nation-china-p154194) leaving them 5-0. I haven't seen any stats provided for Kevin in the games thus far.

After a bit of messing around I came across this site which has more details ont he game (and some of the other ones played).

Here is the story of the latest game.

http://netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/canada-romps-over-usa-all-stars-in-china/

Kevin seems to be the main playmaker, leading his team in assists. From what I can see as well, they are spreading out the miniutes and rotating all but Kevin, Kyle and Dwight.

Canada (86)
Kevin Pangos, G (Gonzaga) 8 points, 1 rebound, 4 assists, 3 steals
Kyle Wiltjer, F (Kentucky) 11 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists
Melvin Ejim, G (Iowa State) 10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
Mangisto Arop, G (Indiana State) 4 points, 2 rebounds
Laurent Rivard, G (Harvard) 7 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists
Philip Scrubb, G (Carleton) 6 points, 1 assist
Dwight Powell, F (Stanford) 12 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist
Jordan Bachynski, C (Arizona State) 7 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks
Daniel Mullings, G (New Mexico State) 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals
Grant Mullins, G (Columbia) 11points (3-of-6 3′s), 4 rebounds, 2 assists

No boxscore though, I'll keep looking...

HillBillyZag
06-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Spy, I grew up listening to the WVU Mountaineers play in the old Southern Conference. If I remember It was : Duke, North Carolina, West Virginia, Furman, Davidson, Richmond, VMI, VPI, and The Citadel. And the Big State schools did NOT run away and hide with Conference Titles. The late, great, WVU Coach Fred Schaus always dreaded those Conference road trips. Most of the home courts were band boxes and students were as unruly as todays. That was some great basketball. I played High School ball against Howie Schertzinger, Mark Workman, Moo Moore, and Red Holmes. In the same game, not at the same skill level. lol.

OZZY
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Had a quick look at the netscoutsbasketball page which has some additional information on the tournament. It noted that the USA team is not actually a College team only, but listed as an "All stars" team. They had a few of the higher profile college players opt out late so they added three Pro's (From NBL Canada), with 6'6" Wing Devin Sweetney the league MVP for 2012/2013.

http://netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/netscouts-basketball-mens-china-tour-the-team-arrives/

Still very surprised that Hanlan did not make the team......

sanders
06-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Had a quick look at the netscoutsbasketball page which has some additional information on the tournament. It noted that the USA team is not actually a College team only, but listed as an "All stars" team. They had a few of the higher profile college players opt out late so they added three Pro's (From NBL Canada), with 6'6" Wing Devin Sweetney the league MVP for 2012/2013.

http://netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/netscouts-basketball-mens-china-tour-the-team-arrives/

Still very surprised that Hanlan did not make the team......

Ozzy,
Good find.

Re Hanlan, I thought it was the case that he (and Edwards) chose not make the trip, and opted to be on campus instead?

From the site you linked, here is information on Canada's first win over the U.S.

Kevin Pangos, G (Gonzaga) 5 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists
Brady Heslip, G (Baylor) 7 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal
Kyle Wiltjer, F (Kentucky) 17 points, 3 rebounds
Melvin Ejim, G (Iowa State) DNP
Thomas Scrubb, F (Carleton) 11 points, 4 rebounds
Mangisto Arop, G (Indiana State) 0 points, 1 rebound
Laurent Rivard, G (Harvard) 0 points, 4 rebounds
Philip Scrubb, G (Carleton) 8 points, 3 rebounds
Dwight Powell, F (Stanford) 16 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Jordan Bachynski, C (Arizona State) DNP
Murphy Burnatowski, F (Colgate) 0 points, 2 rebounds
Owen Klassen, F (Carleton) 4 points, 6 rebounds
Daniel Mullings, G (New Mexico State) 7 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
Grant Mullins, G (Columbia) DNP

From the limited info posted on the basketball Canada site re the Latvia game and the second China game, seems Powell has been scoring consistently - double digits every game.

ZagNative
06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Canada beats Latvia again, 102-61, to remain 6-0, per basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/dmnt-rolls-to-victory-over-latvia-p154200):
Toronto, Ont. native Dwight Powell scored a team-high 18 points while adding nine rebounds. Phil Scrubb, Kevin Pangos, Brady Heslip and Kyle Wiltjer all notched 11 points in the match. Scrubb, who was a perfect three-for-three from long range, believes the team’s defense was key in triggering the offence. "As the game went on, our press was very effective. We forced tough shots and played confident on offense. We're excited for our last 3 games here."

When asked about the game, head coach Jay Triano said, "I’m really proud of our guys playing 2 games in 22 hours with that level of intensity. We wore people down! Now, we have a tough day of travel and we have to be ready to play these 3 teams again.”

The four student-athlete teams will meet once again in Wuqi, China for the third and final leg of the tournament. Team Canada next matches up with the United States on Sunday.

ZagNative
06-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Twitter:
Chris Cheng ‏@Coach_Cheng 25m

Good come back by Team USA, but @CanBball #DMNT prevailed with the double overtime WIN!!!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BM5DWfbCIAMltrz.jpg

Vanzagger
06-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Crying about the burger boys we don't get. We have had the talent for several years to make deep runs. The players N. of the border and from across the pond are dreams come true. Many times they will stay 4 years too.

It's time to stop making excuses.

Keep it up Maple Leafs

Vanzagger
06-16-2013, 05:27 PM
This game is a big boy game. Physicality!

OZZY
06-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Game story from Canada Basketball site.

Sounds like a thriller!

http://www.basketball.ca/canada-hangs-on-for-double-overtime-victory-over-usa-p154204

KP gets a mention as running the offence.

Zagdawg
06-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Canada wins another one.

"The Development Men’s National Team (DMNT) has swept the three-game series with host-nation China at the Four Nations’ International Invitational Tournament. The 85-70 win pushed Team Canada’s record in the competition to a perfect 8-0 with one game remaining."

http://www.basketball.ca/canada-notches-third-victory-over-china-at-four-nations-p154207

sanders
06-18-2013, 10:12 AM
And Canada finished the sweep by pounding Latvia.

Brief mention of Pangos in the game story (reached double digits in scoring).

http://www.basketball.ca/canada-finishes-four-nations-with-perfect-record-p154213

ZagNative
06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Thank you, Sanders.

I wonder if Kevin will be spending all his time in Canada until the University games, or whether he'll spend any of the time in Spokane.

The DMNT will now return home to Canada to continue its preparations for the 27th FISU Summer Universiade where the best student-athlete teams across the globe will compete in the largest international sporting event outside of the Olympics. The FISU Games, also known as the World University Games, will begin on July 7 before wrapping-up on July 16.

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Would be nice to have the face of our program be around for when Reid Travis is here on an official.