PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk Work Out in Santa Monica

ZagNative
05-29-2013, 07:56 AM
From Twitter:
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 5m

In Santa Monica this morning watching Kelly Olynyk, Giourgi Dieng, Jeff Withey, Vanderbilt Blue, Arsalan Kazemi workout

ZagNative
05-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Updated:
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Withey & Dieng working on post moves with Brian Scalabrine & Will Purdue. Olynyk working out with guards. Interesting.

BobZag
05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
T-Rex wingspan. lol. That cracked me up.

DADoZAG
05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Can one of you NBA experts explain Mr. Ford's last tweet?

Much obliged.

Go ZAGS!

webspinnre
05-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Not an NBA expert, but maybe suggesting that some NBA teams are considering KO as a stretch 4?

ZagNative
05-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Can one of you NBA experts explain Mr. Ford's last tweet?webspinnre may be right. I believe the work out was arranged by Kelly's agent, Arn Tellem, for his clients.

DADoZAG
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Makes sense.

Thanx ZN and webs...

Go ZAGS!

jazzdelmar
05-29-2013, 12:33 PM
ford has KO at 16...

Olynyk looked like one of the two most skilled big men in the draft during the drills portion of the combine, but he struggled in the athletic testing and measurements portions. Athletically, Olynyk tested as one of the worst athletes in the draft. And when it comes to his size, his T-Rex wingspan seemed problematic. Olynyk is a tough guy to peg. Teams either think he's a fit or he's not.

Oregonzagnut
05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Withey & Dieng working on post moves with Brian Scalabrine & Will Purdue. Olynyk working out with guards. Interesting.

I think it is a good sign that they are scouting his skills alongs with guards. But that could be good for Dieng and Withey too. Kelly is competing against Withey and Dieng, and that is a tall order to go up against for a paying job. f

The coaches and staff who are evaluating will play everyone with everyone at some point in the process. I bet the coaches occasionally really lay on a heavy heavy practice, just to see who collapses last.

I am enjoying watching Harris and Hart succeed too.

75Zag
05-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Seems like most of the 7 footers in the NBA are brute force bangers, whereas in my mind KO is more of a ball handling offensive threat who also happens to be 7 feet tall. Anybody else remember back in 1999-2000 when Don Nelson (then coach at Dallas) tried to use Dirk Nowitzki as a "point forward"? I think KO has a similar skill set as Nowitzki, and perhaps KO also suffers from the same lack of defensive ability that Nowitzki demonstrated in his early NBA career against the monsters in the NBA middle. But Nowitzki won a championship ring as a key player at Dallas and is still respected as one of the better players in the game. Hoping KO follows a similar path.

Go Bulldogs!

cjm720
05-29-2013, 03:36 PM
'75 nailed it IMO.

I wonder how Dirk tested compared to how KO did?

TheGonzagaFactor
05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
ford has KO at 16...

Olynyk looked like one of the two most skilled big men in the draft during the drills portion of the combine, but he struggled in the athletic testing and measurements portions. Athletically, Olynyk tested as one of the worst athletes in the draft. And when it comes to his size, his T-Rex wingspan seemed problematic. Olynyk is a tough guy to peg. Teams either think he's a fit or he's not.

Funny how Daye had AWFUL measurables at the combine but got a free pass because his dad was on an NBA roster. Hopefully Kelly gets a free pass from a lottery team as well, as he is obviously better than Daye.

Malastein
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
But Nowitzki won a championship ring as a key player at Dallas and is still respected as one of the better players in the game. Hoping KO follows a similar path.

Go Bulldogs!

KO has a long ways to go before he merits being in the same discussion as one of the best forwards in NBA history. For starters, Dirk is an 87% FT shooter in his career. If Olynyk can produce 75% of Nowitzki's career numbers he'll be wildly successful. I'm hoping he'll be a rotation guy for years.

sittingon50
05-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Apples to apples= Soph. vs Soph.

Not even in the ballpark.

Oregonzagnut
05-29-2013, 09:14 PM
KO has a long ways to go before he merits being in the same discussion as one of the best forwards in NBA history. For starters, Dirk is an 87% FT shooter in his career. If Olynyk can produce 75% of Nowitzki's career numbers he'll be wildly successful. I'm hoping he'll be a rotation guy for years.

I also see some Chris Anderson in Kelly. Without the tats and mohawk.

Malastein
05-29-2013, 10:31 PM

And the defense.

Bouldin4Prez
05-30-2013, 12:05 AM

Chris Anderson is extremely athletic and a premier shot blocker in the NBA, not really sure where you see anything in KO's game that resembles that description. Anderson gets a majority of his shots within 5 feet of the rim, while for KO to be productive in the NBA he will need to find his niche as a stretch forward. The key for KO is to show that he is capable of rebounding at an NBA level, if he can accomplish this then he should have plenty of years ahead of him in the league as a rotation player.

mnzag24
05-30-2013, 05:10 AM
I think it is a good sign that they are scouting his skills alongs with guards. But that could be good for Dieng and Withey too. Kelly is competing against Withey and Dieng, and that is a tall order to go up against for a paying job. f

He is only competing against them based on position. Withey and Dieng are touted as primarily defensive players while KO is primarily offensive. May be a reason they did not go up against each other either, for fear of hurting their draft stock in their Agent's workout; remember, he wants to showcase their individual skills to get them drafted higher. If one out performs the other, and in fact hurts the other, that does not help the agent. He needs to showcase their individual skills. It would be awfully dumb of an agent to put clients up against each other in a public workout.

VinnyZag
05-30-2013, 05:34 AM
More Ryan Anderson than Chris Anderson. But neither is a perfrect comp.

Malastein
05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
I see a lot of Chris Bosh in his game.

willandi
05-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Reminds me a lot of Kelly Olynyk...the future NBA player!:lmao:

zagfan24
05-30-2013, 08:17 AM
I see a lot of Chris Bosh in his game.

I agree...actually think it's the closest comparison.

cjm720
05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Granted I don't watch a ton of NBA anymove, but compaing KO to Chris Bosh...really? The seem like very different players.

Oregonzagnut
05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
http://nbadraft.net/players/kelly-olynyk

This page says Kelly is most like Spencer Hawes and Fabricio Oberto.

But what I notice is his high skill related scores. Even defensively. According to this site, there is no category he ranks lower than a 7.

Mojo13
05-30-2013, 11:35 AM
I see him more as a comparison with Shaq.

Now that I have thrown down with all the other awful comparisons here I will head back to reality.

K.O. is showing to be below average in physical attributes and above average in skills/IQ relative to his peer group.

He is going to be a below the rim NBA player who hopefully overcomes his physical limitations with very high bball IQ and high skill level relative to other big men.

For him to be successfull in the NBA he will need to continue improve his outside/midrange shooting, crafty post moves and handle all needed to avoid the better athletes defending him. I think he can do this.

More needed for a successful NBA career is to become at least an average rebounder and post defender. He has shown decent lateral quickness so he could be a good pick and roll defender and has a low center of gravity and thick legs, so hopefully he wont get abused too badly in the post (with his short arms and not that strong of an upper body).

If he gets anywhere near Luis Scola's level, I will be extatic. Spencer Hawes is a good comparison too. Memut Okur is another I agree with.

The NBA is a big jump in athletes - I hope the "clinic" has him on his way and he continues to improve his speed and gets stronger.

BULLDOG#1
05-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Troy Murphy.

Malastein
05-30-2013, 03:46 PM
http://nbadraft.net/players/kelly-olynyk

This page says Kelly is most like Spencer Hawes and Fabricio Oberto.

But what I notice is his high skill related scores. Even defensively. According to this site, there is no category he ranks lower than a 7.

NBAdraft.net is probably one of the worst sites out there to cite. They blatantly throw up content largely based off of other sites' work. Draft Express is infinitely more reliable and respected, since they have guys who actually scout the games and have sources from the NBA community. NBA draft has a great domain name.

Kelly isn't terrible defensively, but he's not going to be much more than average on the NBA level. The difference between Sacre and him on the defensive end of the floor was evident throughout the year. If he can succeed offensively at the next level, he's got a much greater chance of sticking around the league than Morrison did because he isn't an albatross defensively like Ammo was.

DADoZAG
05-31-2013, 08:08 AM
NBAdraft.net is probably one of the worst sites out there to cite. They blatantly throw up content largely based off of other sites' work. Draft Express is infinitely more reliable and respected, since they have guys who actually scout the games and have sources from the NBA community. NBA draft has a great domain name.

Kelly isn't terrible defensively, but he's not going to be much more than average on the NBA level. The difference between Sacre and him on the defensive end of the floor was evident throughout the year. If he can succeed offensively at the next level, he's got a much greater chance of sticking around the league than Morrison did because he isn't an albatross defensively like Ammo was.

‘Understand your skepticism, Mal.

Post defense was something that KO hadn't really learned yet. But I believe, with his work ethic, he will continue to work on whatever weaknesses he has, specifically defense. Hopefully his contract is such that he has sufficient off seasons to learn how to play the post before he needs to sign another one.

He'll never be a fantastic athlete, but he doesn't need to be. T-Rex with a brain is one scary creature.

Go ZAGS!

ID ZAGFAN
05-31-2013, 08:20 AM
INsider Chad Ford discussed the bigs at the Santa MOnica workout.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9328337/2013-nba-draft-scouting-cody-zeller-kelly-olynyk-gorgui-dieng-jeff-withey
Here is Kelly's--others are at the link.

Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga Bulldogs
[+] Enlarge

James Snook/USA TODAY Sports
Forward Kelly Olynyk is likely to be drafted between picks 10 and 20.
Olynyk is in the same boat as Zeller and had one of the more interesting workouts I saw. While Dieng and Withey were on one side of the court working with big men Brian Scalabrine and Will Perdue, Olynyk was working out with a group of guards including Marquette's Vander Blue.

That's telling. Much like Zeller, Olynyk is being marketed to teams not as a center (the position he played at Gonzaga) but as a 3 or a 4. He certainly has the offensive skill set for it. Olynyk excels at putting the ball on the floor and shooting the basketball. He did not look out of place among the guards who were there and actually shot it better than Blue. On Wednesday he showed off terrific range on his jumper nailing NBA 3-pointer after NBA 3-pointer.

If Olynyk can shoot like that in workouts, he might convince a lot of GMs to take him as a stretch 4. Whether he can convince anyone to take him as a 3 is another question entirely.

While very few people have questions about what he can do offensively, it's his defense that will ultimately determine where he goes. He seems to lack the lateral foot speed to guard perimeter players, but has neither the length, strength nor explosive leaping ability to guard in the paint. If he did, we'd be talking about him as a potential top-5 pick in the draft. As it stands, it looks like his range is between 10 and 20.

ZaGranny

jazzdelmar
05-31-2013, 09:29 AM
UPDATE: Last week, we discussed Kelly Olynyk's likely place in the upcoming NBA draft. He seems destined to go near the middle of the first round, with the potential to maybe sneak into the lottery or drop into the early 20's based on team needs. Our own Jay Bilas likes the offensive upside that "The Clinic" figures to bring to whichever organization selects him on June 27, and ranks him No. 12 on his list of the best available prospects. Meanwhile, Chad Ford has more below on why some teams love the 7-footer, while others may be willing to pass on him altogether.
---
At the moment, our own Chad Ford has Kelly Olynyk ranked as the No. 16 overall prospect on his big board. And he projects him to slip a little to the Indiana Pacers at No. 23 in his latest mock. Given what that club has been able to do in these playoffs -- including a giving LeBron and the Miami Heat all they can handle in the Eastern Conference Finals -- that wouldn't be a bad place for a young player like Olynyk to land. Is it possible he might be worth a higher pick though?

There are certainly some who believe the big man's ability to score could make him a nice bargain on draft night. Sports Illustrated's Luke Winn loves Olynyk's combination of ballhandling skills, basketball intelligence and offensive efficiency inside. Those are some pretty nice characteristics for a 7-footer to have, especially in this year's class. Granted, he does have some drawbacks as well. At 22 years of age, he's slightly older than some of the other top prospects available and he's not exactly going to change the game with his defensive skills. Plus, his performance at the combine -- while not bad, by any means -- doesn't seem to have enhanced his standing the way some hoped it might. Still, NBA teams don't mind taking a chance on a big man on draft night, and Olynyk gives them plenty of reasons to

Mojo13
05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the Insider posts. Interesting stuff.

cjm720
05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
I hope the GMs realize that KO transformed his body and game in one year. Why can't he do that with defense, and to some degree, athleticism/explosiveness?

He's moving up on my board :)

Malastein
05-31-2013, 11:15 AM
I hope the GMs realize that KO transformed his body and game in one year. Why can't he do that with defense, and to some degree, athleticism/explosiveness?

He's moving up on my board :)

I'd think he'd be better off embracing the low post, and really try to become dominant down there a la Pau Gasol. He's bound to improve, but I think his most potential is down low.

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Draft Express's latest mock (http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/2013-nba-mock-draft-2-0-1370416510-slideshow/kelly-olynyk-photo--1708440446.html)on Yahoo Sports:
12. Oklahoma City Thunder (From Toronto Raptors via Houston Rockets)
Kelly Olynyk (C, 22, 7-0, 234, Gonzaga, junior): The Thunder's season ended in disappointing fashion, in no small part because of an injury to All-Star point guard Russell Westbrook, which put too much pressure on Kevin Durant to carry the load offensively. Fortunately for the Thunder, the James Harden trade returned a pick in the late lottery, which can be used to add an immediate contributor on a cheap salary. With Westbrook back at full strength, what do you give the team that has everything? More offensive firepower is one option, particularly from the frontcourt, which struggled to establish itself as enough of a threat to keep Memphis' big men honest defensively. With the status of free agent Kevin Martin very much up in the air, the Thunder could look to add more talent at the wing. Olynyk’s ability to score inside and out could be attractive at this stage of the draft. His average rebounding and defensive skills would be more easily masked alongside big men like Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison, and he comes ready to play at age 22.

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Kelly's workout for the Sixers yesterday, from Philly.com (http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-met-dukes-plumlee-gonzagas-olynyk):

Updated June 6, 3:45 p.m.

The NBA draft is three weeks away and the Sixers appear to have a few prospects on their radar.

According to Comcast SportsNet's Michael Barkann, the Sixers met with Duke forward Mason Plumlee and Gonzaga center Kelly Olynyk on Wednesday night.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Thursday that, in addition to those two, the team also hosted UCLA guard Shabazz Muhammad, N.C. State sharpshooter Scott Wood and big man Norvele Pelle, who decomitted from St. John's to turn pro instead.

The Sixers are currently slated to pick 11th overall in the first round of the draft. In the second round, the Sixers have the 35th and 42nd overall selections.

While the Sixers have several needs to address this offseason, there is a belief that the team would be best suited to grab a quality post player in the draft. Both Plumlee and Olynyk certainly fall into that category.

In his senior year at Duke, Plumlee (6-10, 235) averaged 17.1 points and 10.0 rebounds per game while shooting 59.9 percent from the field.

Olynyk (7-0, 238), who decided to forgo his final year of eligibility at Gonzaga, put up 17.8 points, grabbed 7.3 rebounds and shot 62.9 percent from the field in his junior year last season.

The Sixers' new president and general manager, Sam Hinkie, has been keeping the team's draft workouts closed and has yet to reveal his likes, dislikes or position preference.

ZagNative
06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Video interview (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2013/06/06/20130606-olynyk-profile.nba/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) from NBA.com.

75Zag
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Lots of chatter around Portland that the NBA brain trust here (aka Paul Allen) has decided that there is nobody worth picking at the #10 draft spot and that the Blazers are probably going to trade away their #10 pick and wait until next year. There is a sports column in today's Oregonian to the same effect, although I am not a fan of Canzano:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2013/06/canzano_trail_blazers_better_b.html#incart_river

If the sucky lottery Blazers can't find anybody they want at the #10, it sounds pretty bleak for the rest of the league.

Go Bulldogs!

Mojo13
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Seems to me that there is no (or very few) potential "star" players in this draft, thus it is getting a weak draft label. But it seems rather deep, and that pick 5-10 isn't much different from the Top 5. Also seems the midround isnt too different from past years.

Yes, if you are picking #1-3 this year it is quite disappointing but at 15 or 20, I think there are solid options and decent rotational players.

Some interesting "EuroStash" options in the later 1st round too.

ID ZAGFAN
06-09-2013, 07:11 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-gonzaga-product-kelly-olynyk-has-height-scoring-ability-that-okc-fans-crave/article/3843552

Oklahoma City Thunder: Gonzaga product Kelly Olynyk has height, scoring ability that OKC fans crave

By Darnell Mayberry

He's 7-feet tall … and he can score.

We know what you're thinking.

Say no more. Sign him up.

These days, it doesn't seem to matter who it is. Those two attributes — size and scoring — have become so desperately desired by Thunder fans that most will give almost anything to see them come to Oklahoma City.

And that's why so many have their eyes set on Kelly Olynyk, a projected lottery pick in this year's NBA Draft from Gonzaga.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

Oregonzagnut
06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
IMO, there are too many centers going in the top 10 picks. Objectively speaking, who wouldn't take Noel, Zeller or Len. But Kelly has huge upside and this seems like the most competitive draft for him to be in.

(Not that being in any draft is bad..haha)

Pray for those in Santa Monica too.

ZagNative
06-10-2013, 09:21 AM
ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9360759/2013-nba-draft-5-5-panel-experts-debate-best-skills-draft):

Who's got the best skills?

Insider's panel of experts debate who shoots, defends, rebounds the best

Welcome to the Insider edition of 5-on-5! This panel is dedicated solely to debating the 2013 NBA draft. In this edition, another panel of experts debate which players own the best skills in the draft.

1. Which player owns the best overall offensive repertoire?

Chad Ford (ESPN draft expert): C.J. McCollum. He's an elite shooter and he gets to the line as well as any guard in the draft. While he isn't a great passer yet, he shows a lot of potential in this area, as well.

Paul Biancardi (recruiting expert/scout): Otto Porter. He was a late bloomer out of high school. But he's multifaceted in his approach with a productive scoring touch; he will face up or go inside to get a bucket. He can score with his skill and athletic ability or get a basket by beating you with his high IQ for the game.

Otto Porter
Evan Habeeb/USA TODAY Sports

Brad Doolittle (projections/NBA expert): Ben McLemore. His translations are probably the most impressive mix of usage and efficiency, but his well-known passivity is reflected in iffy foul-drawing and athletic indicators. McCollum is right there as well, though his traits are more combo guard than lead guard. No perfect players in this draft. A sleeper: Alex Abrines.

Amin Elhassan (former NBA scout): Kelly Olynyk. This name might come as a surprise to East Coasters who didn't get a chance to watch Gonzaga often, but Olynyk has the most refined (and well-rounded) offensive game of any of this year's class, possessing the ability to score efficiently with his back to the basket as well as pop for the midrange jumper.

Tom Haberstroh (Heat Index/Per Diem): Trey Burke. He led the top offense in the league, posted a 57 percent true shooting percentage in the Big Ten and dished out 6.6 assists per game. In a draft without offensive juggernauts, I'll take Burke -- he can shoot it from almost anywhere and can also get anywhere he wants. Defense and size will be an issue, though.

ZagNative
06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Kelly to work out for the Trailblazers today.
onzaga center Kelly Olynyk will work out for the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday, June 11, a source close to the prospect informed CSNNW.com (http://www.csnnw.com/blog/blazers-talk/source-gonzagas-kelly-olynyk-work-out-blazers-tuesday).

Olynyk, 22, is a four-year collegiate 7-0 center that has a consistent outside jump-shot that extends deep and he prefers to play with his face to the basket.

“Kelly has a super high skill level with a high IQ,” said Dan Dickau, former Gonzaga superstar and former Trail Blazers player development assistant currently color commentator for the Gonzaga Men's Basketball program. “He has great footwork, balance and will have a very good career. He's also a very good kid.”

Olynyk improved his game dramatically after red-shirting his junior season. During his sophomore season he averaged 5.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, 0.1 blocks in 13.5 minutes a game. Last season his numbers rose to 18.1 points, 7.3 boards and 1.1 blocks in 26.5 minutes a contest.

The seven-footer is projected in most mock drafts to be a lottery pick.

The Trail Blazers own picks No. 10, 39, 40 and 45 in the NBA Draft on June 27.

ZagNative
06-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Kelly post workout video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPuZO6RNNoc) at Portand. (Stick around for comments about KO by D.J. Stephens out of Memphis and Erik Murphy out of Florida.)

BTB
06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Kelly post workout video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPuZO6RNNoc) at Portand. (Stick around for comments about KO by D.J. Stephens out of Memphis and Erik Murphy out of Florida.)

Thanks!

Oregonzagnut
06-11-2013, 06:43 PM

wow, you are right. The other guys were really giving Kelly props. Maybe Kelly is really impressing people and his stock is rising even more.

Portland with the #10 pick? That would be really cool.

ZagNative
06-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Oregonion story (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2013/06/late-blooming_kelly_olynyk_offers_shooting_versati.html ) on the workout.

sittingon50
06-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks Native.

ZagNative
06-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Another post-workout video (http://www.rhymeandreason.com.au/predraft-workout-interviews-kelly-olynyk/#.UbpGqJzNmpw) from Portland.

ZagNative
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM
From twitter:
WCC Basketball ‏@WCChoops 31m

RT @gregwrubell: Saturday's "WCC Day" with Utah Jazz; team will work out BYU's Brandon Davies, GU's Kelly Olynyk, SMC's Matthew Dellavedova.

ZagNative
06-14-2013, 04:16 PM
From the Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/56461966-62/guard-jazz-olynyk-davies.html.csp):
Gonzaga All-American Kelly Olynyk headlines a group that also includes Frenchman Rudy Gobert and Louisville center Gorgui Dieng, as well as BYU forward Brandon Davies. Davies was the MVP of the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament earlier this spring.

The Jazz own the 14th and 21st picks in the first round, and with only six players with guaranteed contracts next season, could use help at every position.

The workouts will be broken into two sections, with Olynyk separated from the other top-tier big men. Olynyk will participate in a group of mostly guards, as well as Arizona forward Grant Jerret. Other players working out with the Jazz on Saturday are Murray State guard Isaiah Canaan, San Diego State guard Jamaal Franklin, New Mexico guard Tony Snell and Virginia Tech guard Erick Green. The second group will include Kwame Vaughn from Cal State-Fullerton, as well as St. Mary's guard Matthew Dellavedova and Oregon forward Arsalan Kazemi.

— Bill Oram

ZagNative
06-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Post-Jazz-workout video (http://www.nba.com/jazz/video/2013/06/15/olynykworkoutmp4-2509893)

ZagNative
06-15-2013, 01:46 PM
SI's latest Mock (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130614/nba-mock-draft-2013-shabazz-muhammad/?sct=obinsite) has Kelly going to OKC with #12:

Pick acquired from Raptors via Rockets: The Thunder need low-post scoring and Olynyk is the most accomplished scoring big man in the draft. There are questions about Olynyk's strength and concerns about how, after three years at Gonzaga, he will match up with bigger, more physical defenders. But there is no denying Olynyk's offensive skills. He has a variety of moves in the post and showcased guard-like perimeter shooting at the combine.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130614/nba-mock-draft-2013-shabazz-muhammad/#ixzz2WK8kDaTc

MTZag03
06-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Can't wait for the draft, and can't wait for the first impact player from GU since Stockton (all love for Ronny).

Malastein
06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Olynyk has dropped in Draft Express's most recent mock. That's one I find to be among the most accurate.

ZagNative
06-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/) has him at #17.

jazzdelmar
06-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Can't wait for the draft, and can't wait for the first impact player from GU since Stockton (all love for Ronny).

Define "impact." Might be a long wait.

ID ZAGFAN
06-15-2013, 05:14 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56463019-87/jazz-olynyk-gonzaga-workout.html.csp

Utah Jazz: Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk headlines latest workout group
By Bill Oram | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published 1 hour ago • Updated 1 hour ago
The Utah Jazz have, in their history, drafted one player from Gonzaga University. And wouldn’t you know, Kelly Olynyk is on a first-name basis with him.

"That Gonzaga tie is huge," Olynyk said after working out for the Jazz on Saturday, "with John being here."

John is, of course, Stockton, the NBA’s all-time leader in assists and a guy who in Olynyk’s four years at Gonzaga has had the potential lottery pick’s ear.

"You’ve got to pick his brain whenever you get the chance," Olynyk said, "because five minutes with him is like 10 years with a lot of other people, in terms of basketball knowledge."

More about the Jazz looking at several bigs at the link.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
http://thunderousintentions.com/2013/06/15/nba-draft-rumors-okc-thunder-kelly-olynyk-gonzaga/

Jun 15th, 2013 at 12:48 pm by Andrew Kennedy

People never know exactly what’s going to happen in the NBA Draft. Take last year for instance when it was supposed to be an uneventful night for the Oklahoma City Thunder, only to be anything but as Perry Jones kept getting passed and passed until he fell into the lap of the Thunder.
This coming draft, the Thunder will have three picks, including the 12th overall. There’s been a lot of talk about what the Thunder might do with this pick and who they might take.
The consensus is pretty much that the Thunder will go with a big man here as they plan for the future in replacing Kendrick Perkins.
Adam Fromal of Bleacher Report says that Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga would be the best, realistic prospect for the Thunder at this pick.
Fromal believes Nerlens Noel, Alex Len and Steven Adams will be off the board by the 12th pick leaving the Thunder to decide between big men like Olynyk, Cody Zeller, Rudy Gobert, Mason Plumlee and Gorgui Dieng.
Olynyk had a great season at Gonzaga last year as one of the most efficient players in the entire nation. He averaged 17.8 points, 7.3 rebounds and shot 62.9 percent from the field.
That immediately makes him sound like an upgrade offensively over Perkins, which is no hard task.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
06-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Wonderful Father's day story about Ken Olynyk--and a great pic of the family.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/06/16/husband-coach-mentor-player-dad-ken-olynyks-basketball-life-defined-by-family-ties/

It was really nothing more than an early pit stop along a coaching road that has stretched an entire generation and touched on parts of five decades.
But even back in late 1970′s, in the infancy of his career as a basketball coach, Ken Olynyk’s innate ability to make such immediate and heartfelt connections with his players was already beginning to manifest itself, revealing the very traits which would later be among his greatest qualities as a dad.
“He just made us feel like we were somebody,” remembers Richard Hunt, now 50 and a community outreach worker, but back then a 14-year-old on the Grade 9 team at North Delta’s Sands Secondary which Olynyk coached during the 1977-78 season. “He made us feel important.”
Olynyk, 61, has always been a husband and father first. Yet he’s also been a father figure to so many, coaching over 40 teams since 1975 at every level from high school through the NBA.
Along with his wife Arlene, a longtime referee, the couple have raised three children, all of whom have excelled in the world of sports, but most importantly, have taken its greatest lessons as a template for life success.
It’s Father’s Day today, a day to relish and celebrate the gifts and lessons passed on to us through our dads, and what better way to honour the day than to speak of it through a man who has always led from the heart with a fatherly purpose.

LEAVING THE NEST
“It might just be Maya this Sunday,” Olynyk said earlier this week when asked which of his children will be around for Father’s Day.
Settled comfortably in Kamloops since 2003, where he works as the director of athletics and recreation at Thompson Rivers University, Olynyk has taken an active role in the coaching lives of his children, all of whom will be living on their own come September.
That’s when youngest daughter Maya, just now graduating from South Kamloops Secondary, becomes the last to leave the nest, embarking on a collegiate basketball career at the University of Saskatchewan.
Of course before that happens, son Kelly, also a South Kamloops grad, is expected to be selected in the first round of the NBA draft on June 27 following his college career at Spokane’s Gonzaga University.
And their oldest, daughter Jesse, a Sa-Hali graduate who has starred both on the wrestling mat and rugby pitch, has settled into her new career as the sports information director at the University of Northern B.C. in Prince George.
“Kelly and his sisters all celebrate each other’s successes,” Olynyk says proudly. “They are so supportive of each other. Kelly tweets about Maya playing at the provincials and he tweets about Jesse at UNBC.”
On Father’s Day, what more could a dad ask for?

A FATHER AND A MENTOR
Early in his 2007-08 Grade 11 year at South Kam, quarterbacking the Titans in a Subway Bowl quarterfinal game at New Westminster Secondary, Kelly Olynyk took a hit so hard he suffered a break to the ball of the humerus bone just below his left shoulder, forcing him to miss his entire Grade 11 basketball season.
The injury happened right in the midst of a massive growth spurt, and thus Kelly played as a 6-foot-3 point guard in 10th grade and then emerged as the B.C. Triple A tournament MVP as a 6-foot-10 forward in Grade 12.
That lost season is in many ways similar to the red-shirt season Kelly took at Gonzaga in 2011-12, not playing in games, but getting stronger and honing his game further, eventually leading to his selection as an Associated Press first-team All-American this past season, one which has catapulted him into lottery territory in the NBA draft.
Yet what has gone unreported through Kelly’s rise to superstar status are the times a father and son spent together in those two down seasons, ones which Kelly himself admits have been the most important of his career.
“I didn’t cry when I got hit, but I started to cry when they told me I wasn’t going to play basketball that season,” Kelly remembers of his Grade 11 injury. “But my dad told me that everything happens for a reason. He told me I had to find a silver lining, that I was going to get knocked down and that I couldn’t let it stop me from being what I wanted to be.”
So with his left arm in a sling, he hit the gym every day, doing the only thing he could: Putting up 500 shots a day with his right arm.
The next year, Kelly became the only player in the history of the B.C. tournament to lead the field in scoring (36.5 ppg), rebounding (15.5 rpg) and assists (7.2 apg).
“I asked Kelly ‘Can you work without a guarantee?’” Ken begins of the advice he offered his son in the tough times, “and I think he took that to heart when he red-shirted, too. He worked his butt off but there was no guarantee he was even going to start this past season.”
Adds Kelly: “Looking back on it, I never made the connection until right now, but that (Grade 11) year was just like my red-shirt year. My dad has always been there to give me perspective and he has taught me everything I need to know.”
The phrase ‘work without a guarantee’ it seems, has become something of his coaching mantra.
“One liners weren’t exactly his coaching style,” admits Jesse. “But to me, it was in his actions that he guided me through life and sports. He always told me to work harder than the guy next to you. Push yourself to work as hard as you can and you will be successful.”

More about Ken and the family at the link--and several great pics.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-18-2013, 08:27 AM
http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/nba-draft-capsule-kelly-olynyk-gonzaga

Most of the print content seems familiar (from CSN in Chicago?) but there is a nice video of Kelly, talking a lot about Gonzaga.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Vancouver Sun (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Olynyk+road+started+early/8546234/story.html) story today. "Olynyk's road to NBA started early /Draft prospect grew up around Raptors before moving to Kamloops"

Barring a trade, the Raps will be spectators for the two rounds of the 2013 draft - to be held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., on June 27. Canada's only NBA team does not have a pick among the 60 players involved.
Kelly is scheduled to work out Wednesday in Atlanta for the Hawks, who have the 17th and 18th picks in the first round. On Thursday, he's off to Minnesota for a once-over by the Timberwolves, who hold the No. 9 overall pick. Sunday, it's the turn of the Boston Celtics, who have the No. 16 slot in the first round. Chicago (No. 20) is another possibility.

It's within that wide No. 9 to 20 range that Olynyk is likely to fall, sometime after Anthony Bennett, a freshman power forward from Nevada-Las Vegas. Bennett, who grew up in Brampton, Ont., is projected to be a top 10 pick.

"What you don't know in the draft are the surprises," Ken explained. "A couple of Europeans might be taken early, and that would adjust and change the dynamic. We've heard some people say Kelly won't be around at No. 11 or 12. Others say he'll be taken in the 19-25 range. It's all speculation. The only people who really know are the NBA teams. The agents don't know. Kelly doesn't know. But it doesn't matter where. We just hope he goes to the best situation."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Olynyk+road+started+early/8546234/story.html#ixzz2WgULyDQr

ZagNative
06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
From ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9404686/2013-nba-draft-experts-make-their-picks-first-round):

Experts NBA mock draft
Our five Insiders weigh in on which players teams should take in 2013 draft

With the 2013 NBA draft a mere week away, Insider gathered five of its experts to draft the first round: Dave Telep, Kevin Pelton, Fran Fraschilla, David Thorpe and Amin Elhassan. They drafted in snaking order and here's how the first round turned out.

13. Dallas Mavericks
The pick: Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga Bulldogs

Some draft picks ooze long-term potential and some are ready to help immediately. Olynyk has the size, skills and smarts to help the Mavs right away. He can score around the basket and make jump shots. At worst, he adds solid frontcourt depth to a rebuilding team. -- F.F.

ZagNative
06-21-2013, 10:05 AM
The draft is just six days away! Can't wait!

When: June 27, 2013
Where: Barclays Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Time: 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, WatchESPN.com)
Looking at Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/), I find Kelly still projected at #12, going to OKC. Chad Ford (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9398251/2013-nba-draft-chad-ford-mock-draft-50) has him at #23, picked up by the Pacers.

Today, Draft Express tweeted:

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 57m

Just By the Numbers: the 2013 Power Forward Crop http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-the-2013-Power-Forward-Crop-4280 …

- co-authored by Kelly Olynyk's agent (or may as well be)Kelly's numbers in the linked charts are pretty amazing!

I admit to being a hopeless homer, and maybe that's why Chad Ford's continued discounting of Kelly's stock is so irritating to me.

In any event, I decided to compare past accuracy of Draft Express to Chad Ford, to see which mock draft was most prescient in 2012. Draft Express won handily, with a score of -86 off actual pick, vs. -106 for Chad Ford.

Come on, Kelly! Make Ford eat his words!

HillBillyZag
06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Nothing wrong with being a hopeless homer ZN. I think those who are not casual or Band-Wagon fans feel that way at times. If I didn't have my Indians, Cav's, Browns. Zags and Irish to support, my life would be much duller.

Malastein
06-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Appears DraftExpress moved him back up to 12. Are we about at the point to play the guess where Olynyk gets drafted game?

ZagNative
06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Video of Kelly after workout (http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/video/2013/06/21/130621DraftWorkoutsOlynykmp4-2516664) with the Timberwolves.

Wolves coach Flip Saunders video (http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/video/2013/06/21/130621DraftWorkoutsFlipmp4-2516584) with some nice comments about Kelly, toward the end of the interview.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Interesting video analysis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo95XsUHm50) of Kelly's game from Jazz' radio announcer/analyst Locke.

JPtheBeasta
06-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Interesting video analysis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo95XsUHm50) of Kelly's game from Jazz' analyst Locke.

"Interesting" is the nice way to put it. They may as well have called it the "KO lowlight reel." If he is playing the four spot, I think a lot of that analysts concerns would be remediated. As a power forward, I think KOs lack of explosion will be offset by being guarded by slightly smaller guys. And he's crafty enough with the angles to get around a shot blocker like Noel, especially if he get's the ball in space/away from the basket. That's my opinion anyway.

ZagNative
06-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Ten green room invitees announced:

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 10m

Green room invitees: Noel, Oladipo, Porter, Len, Bennett, McLemore, Burke, Carter-Williams, McCollum & Zeller.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 4m

NBA typically adds a few more names as we get closer to draft. Adams, Caldwell-Pope, Olynyk, Muhammad & Karasev haven't gotten invites yet

Oregonzagnut
06-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Kelly must be tired of saying the same things about each organization and making sure not to say stuff that isn't negative.

All positive and all good since Kelly headlines each group he goes to and I think he is really impressing every place he goes.

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons KO Job Interview on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_848789&feature=iv&src_vid=g1aWEKJlpyg&v=mgD24n4Rt1I).

Zagdawg
06-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Great interview.

Kelly does a great job representing the Zags.

ZaGranny
06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Fantastic Interview! Thanks, ZN!

ZaGranny

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Well, the opinions can't always be positive...From the Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20130623-sefko-going-big-in-this-year-s-nba-draft-comes-with-no-guarantees.ece):
And then there’s a player like Kelly Olynyk, who despite the consonant-heavy last name is not a European player. But he is a foreigner, born and raised in British Columbia, Canada.

Olynyk has his backers, but also many who see him as having more Adam Morrison in him than Dirk Nowitzki.

Coming out of Gonzaga, he’s one of the players who will likely be there when the Mavericks draft at 13. But if they take him, they’ll have to keep him, which would mean chewing up that much more salary cap space.

Whoever takes him, they’ll be rolling the dice, big time.

Mojo13
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Well, the opinions can't always be positive...From the Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20130623-sefko-going-big-in-this-year-s-nba-draft-comes-with-no-guarantees.ece):

I am a biased Canadian but I think KO will have a long and successful career. He will never start on a good team (maybe for a lowbie) but I think he can be a good 3rd big rotational that brings smarts, above average scoring and passable defense to a winning team. He is likely going to get drafted by a midtier team that hopefully has the right system and proper expectations for him. He would do well in that 12-14 range to OKC, Dallas or Utah. I'd love to see him mentored by Diggler.

I also hope he becomes a FIBA god for the Canadian SMNT ala Luis Scola.

sittingon50
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Great interview.

Mojo13
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Dallas fans boo'd the drafting of Steve Nash as I recall.

OZZY
06-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Dallas fans boo'd the drafting of Steve Nash as I recall.

But the point is still valid.

Mojo13
06-24-2013, 02:05 PM
But the point is still valid.

I stand corrected!

ZagNative
06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Jazz fans also booed Stockton's selection.

ZaGranny
06-25-2013, 08:48 AM
SB Nation series about Draft
Prospectshttp://www.atthehive.com/2013/6/25/4461596/better-know-a-prospect-kelly-olynyk-c-gonzaga

Not much new.

 SHARE (1)  TWEET (1) + COMMENTS
Bio: Born in April of 1991 to a basketball family, Kelly Olynyk's bio reads like Anthony Davis from the great white north. He was a short 6'3" point guard until his Sophomore year in high school, when he suddenly shot up seven inches. He now stands a full 7'0". Once again, like Davis, his calling card is a physical grace - especially his ball-handling and shooting - that is rarely seen among men of his size. Like Davis, he didn't play at an elite high school, likely due to the fact that he was overlooked due to his size.

Olynyk made an interesting choice - unlike almost every other Canadian basketball talent (including Anthony Bennett), he didn't come to the United States for high school. He instead got exposure to top American talent through summer camps and by playing on the Canadian junior national team. After sitting on the bench behind Robert Sacre for two years at Gonzaga, playing under 13 minutes per game, Olynyk decided to redshirt his junior year, instead spending time in the gym and improving his strength. The results were evident last year - he had a breakout season.

More at link.

ZaGranny

sanders
06-25-2013, 09:13 AM

And then there’s a player like Kelly Olynyk, who despite the consonant-heavy last name is not a European player. But he is a foreigner, born and raised in British Columbia, Canada.

Wasn't Olynyk born in Toronto? And didn't move to BC until he was 12 or 13?

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Seth Davis with anonymous quotes from NBA scouts, this one about KO:

Kelly Olynyk, 7-foot forward, Gonzaga: "He's a big b.a.s.t.a.r.d., man. He shoots it. You have to hope you can get an average defender out of him. I'm not sure he wants any kind of contact, and I'm not sure about his mental toughness. He had good numbers this year, but when you look deeper, you ask what bigs did he play against? He was a great interview. Really good dude. I enjoyed talking to him as much as anybody we've met with."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130624/2013-nba-draft-prospects/#ixzz2XGLfB1td