PDA

View Full Version : Katin Reinhardt transferring from UNLV

HenneZag
05-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Just saw the news this morning. From what it sounds like he wants to transfer to a Pac-12 school but you have to wonder if Few and staff will take a shot at him. From my memory it did seem like we recruited him hard for some time.

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Pass. Another Mater Dei entitled one. Talk about fruit from a poisoned tree.

The departure of Reinhardt shouldn't come as a total shock to UNLV if only because of the high school he attended. Perennial California state title contender Mater Dei has produced nine Rivals 150 prospects since 2007 and all but Colorado rising sophomore Xavier Johnson have already changed colleges, some more than once.

Taylor King transferred from Duke to Villanova to NAIA Concordia University. Kamyron Brown spent two years at Oregon before going to Nebraska. David and Travis Wear left North Carolina in favor of UCLA. Gary Franklin didn't even last a year at Cal before leaving for Baylor. Tyler Lamb transferred from UCLA to Long Beach State. Keala King left Arizona State and was not invited back at Long Beach State. And now Reinhardt joins that ever-growing list.

Goshzagit
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Per ESPN:

“Katin told me why he was leaving," UNLV coach Dave Rice said in Sunday's Las Vegas Review Journal. "He said that he feels his best opportunity to play in the NBA is to play more minutes at the point guard position. Katin would have had an opportunity to compete for minutes at the point, but I’ve never guaranteed anyone that they will start or play a certain number of minutes."

He's expected to sign with USC or Oregon, per West Coast Hoops.

I will admit, he IS an intriguing prospect who has a nice all-around game, yet at 6'5" with a nice shooting stroke, and ability to rebound, he's not exactly correct about playing PG being his best path to NBA...if anything, playing PG could actually work against him. His rebound and shooting #'s/%'s could suffer as as result, especially since he doesn't have the ability to blow past people.

He should stick to off-guard, as he could become a niche type player with his size, strength, shooting, etc. He is a SG, not sure what he's fighting against. Besides, PG is crowded at the next level and they look for elite athleticism/quickness nowadays, no matter the size. I feel Katin has this all backwards in my mind.

fwiw, USC is looking for a PG.

DixieZag
05-27-2013, 09:37 AM
If he wasn't confident enough that he could earn as many minutes as he needed at UNLV why would we want him here? Jazz is right on this one, screams "issues" - and perhaps you take a flier on an "issues" kid when there are no other options and big need, don't see it here.

75Zag
05-27-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't know how I feel about this. The ink is barely dry on our divorce papers from Josh Perkins and now GU has set its sights on yet another prospect? I don't want GU to become the "George Clooney" of recruiting, where we just can't seem to stay in a relationship long enough to close the deal.

But then again, maybe it wouldn't be so bad being George Clooney.

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_908/george-clooney/

Go Bulldogs!

MDABE80
05-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Just a news item 75. lol... I don't think we're even looking at this pampered kid. I remember when i was 20........sheeeeeeeeez I considered myself lucky to have a snow removal job and had night job playing guitar so I had tuition money to study pre med at GU.

Times have changed for some of the 20 yr old set---->plotting his way to the NBA. He's a very good player but now he's calling his own shots. The world has changed my friends. A lot!

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Just a news item 75. lol... I don't think we're even looking at this pampered kid. I remember when i was 20........sheeeeeeeeez I considered myself lucky to have a snow removal job and had night job playing guitar so I had tuition money to study pre med at GU.

Times have changed for some of the 20 yr old set---->plotting his way to the NBA. He's a very good player but now he's calling his own shots. The world has changed my friends. A lot!

another taylor king, w/o the talent...doc, 25 miles in the snow? really? c'mon...

MDABE80
05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Not sure what you mean Jazz......25 miles?

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Not sure what you mean Jazz......25 miles?

Did you also walk 25 miles to school in the snow? You know, the apocryphal story of older men.

bostonzagfan
05-27-2013, 12:20 PM
^^^ uphill, both ways, with no shoes

MDABE80
05-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Did you also walk 25 miles to school in the snow? You know, the apocryphal story of older men.

lol......Nope but I shovelled out the campus at 5:30 am every day there was snow. That winter of 68...........was a killer.

CDC84
05-27-2013, 02:07 PM
From everything I have heard he's cancer.

Malastein
05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Micah Downs used to have a pretty bad reputation for attitude, and he became much better at Gonzaga. Not saying this kid should or would become a Zag, but most everyone is redeemable.

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Micah Downs used to have a pretty bad reputation for attitude, and he became much better at Gonzaga. Not saying this kid should or would become a Zag, but most everyone is redeemable.

As a McD AA Micah was worth the risk. This kid is a Mater Dei AA.

Mojo13
05-28-2013, 08:25 AM
I watched allot on UNLV (Team Canada #2) this year and just hated this kid.
He was an out of control chucker and turnover machine.
I think he shot in the mid-low 30% range for the year. Got his pocket picked regulary when he tried to put the ball to the floor and I rarely remember him passing much. PG? Dream on kid.

UNLV had a tonne of talent and vastly underpreformed - one could throw much of the blame Kaiten's way.

Mr Vulture
05-28-2013, 08:44 AM
I would pass myself. We can recruit guards for our system. I think its unlikely we are adding a big to this years team but I don't think its nearly the issue its being made out to be. The college game is guard/wing oriented anyway. As long as the guys work to rebound, they will be fine.