PDA

View Full Version : Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers and something very funny for y'all

thespywhozaggedme
05-24-2013, 05:44 PM
I can't tell you guys/gals how overwhelmed I was by the outpouring of support I felt from everyone. Thank you so much. So, my surgery was scheduled for noon on Monday. I received a call that morning saying that my neurosurgeon wanted to make it earlier, so we got there as soon as we could. The surgery was to remove my herniated c6-7 disc and replace it with an artificial one. Mrs. Spy was informed that the surgery would take no more than 2 hours and she would hear from the doctor by 1 pm. Apparently 1 o'clock came and went as did two o'clock. Since I was having my throat and spine rearranged, I wasn't aware of this, so I had to take her word for it.

As I groggily woke up from surgery, it felt as if the doctor had made a mistake and instead of removing my herniated disc, he implanted an ostrich egg permanently in my throat. My neuro informed me that the surgery was "interesting", I immediately checked to see if all appendages were still intact and if so, were they still functioning; relieved that they were, I asked him to expound on his "interesting" quote. He informed me that there was a bone spur hitting my spinal cord that went undetected during my numerous mri's because it was hidden by the bulging disc. He said that he had to use microscopic instruments to remove it because if it were to go further into my spinal cord, I could have become paralyzed. That's why the surgery went two hours longer than anticipated. I spent the night in the hospital and despite the fact that swallowing was next to impossible, the pain was gone, with the exception of residual tingling that will eventually go away completely. I came home Tuesday evening and am getting better day by day, literally.

Now, for the funny part. Unbeknownst to her, until it was brought to her attention; while waiting for me in the hospital while I was recovering from surgery, Mrs. Spy may have quite possibly made the funniest Freudian Faux Pas in the history of Facebook. For your amusement; direct copy and paste from her Facebook page during my surgery:

Bobby's surgery for dic replacement went well, thank you all for the prayers. Please continue to pray for speedy recovery.

GoZags
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Wishful thinking for Mrs Spy? Welcome back.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Welcome back, Spy. You didn't miss nothing.

maynard g krebs
05-24-2013, 06:59 PM
I heard the same faux pas made on air by a Fox Sports Northwest newsperson a few years ago referring to a player sidelined by said condition. So maybe it comes from watching a lot of Fox programming :).

Glad you're well. Welcome back.

sittingon50
05-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Did you have like a 2 for 1 coupon for both procedures, Spy?

:confused:

(glad you're feeling better)

Hoopaholic
05-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Glad everything is still in where it belongs..and all is well

thespywhozaggedme
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone. One of our friends responded to my wifes post saying that hopefully the surgeon didn't make the same mistake that she did. :D

madness
05-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Glad you're feeling better!

Zagcity
05-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery "clink" ;)

Zagdawg
05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Welcome back and our thoughts and prayers are for your speedy recovery.

TheZagPhish
05-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Welcome back, mister spy.

Fine ales are excellent for your recovery.

Oregonzagnut
05-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Looks like you can type.

Glad your going to be all right!

Kiddwell
05-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Really happy/grateful that all is well.

And now a poem:
What Replacement???
Roses are red,
Didn't hurt a lick,
Spy by a head,
Say "hi" to Dick.

:]

Zippyzaggy
05-25-2013, 02:29 AM
After surgery the Doctor came into the recovery room. He said he had "good news & bad news, what do you want first?"

I said "Give me the bad news first."

He said "Unfortunately, during surgery the knife slipped and I accidently cut off your er, uh....things."

I replied "OMG!! What was the good news?!"

And he said "Well, they weren't malignant."

Glad you are recovering....and more fortunate than this poor fellow.

thespywhozaggedme
05-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Wishful thinking for Mrs Spy? Welcome back.

Ha. Almost 41 with a 5 1/2 year old and 17 month old, I think "removal" would have been her preferred procedure of choice. :)

BobZag
05-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Welcome back. Wish there was some great recruiting news to greet you, but alas.........

Malastein
05-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Good luck with your recovery!

Proudzagmom
05-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Posting on the board and cracking jokes are both good signs you are recovering nicely. Glad to hear it, Spy. Praying for continued healing and strength. With two little ones, you're going to need it. :)

Zagineer
05-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Posting on the board and cracking jokes are both good signs you are recovering nicely. Glad to hear it, Spy. Praying for continued healing and strength. With two little ones, you're going to need it. :)

+1

I'm so old that I have no idea as to understanding the funny part of your OP, so I'll just grab on to the coat tails of PZM's post. :)

Best wishes to you and your family.

PS: I really enjoy reading your posts. I my not agree 100% all the time, but I still enjoy reading every one of them.

Keep Posting. :cheers:

thespywhozaggedme
05-25-2013, 10:01 PM
+1

I'm so old that I have no idea as to understanding the funny part of your OP, so I'll just grab on to the coat tails of PZM's post. :)

Best wishes to you and your family.

PS: I really enjoy reading your posts. I my not agree 100% all the time, but I still enjoy reading every one of them.

Keep Posting. :cheers:

I had surgery on my cervical DISC, look at my wifes typo in bold that she posted on Facebook. :D

Zagineer
05-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I had surgery on my cervical DISC, look at my wifes typo in bold that she posted on Facebook. :D

Ooops!! I read it too fast the first time and missed the typo. :o

Yup. That is one mis-leading typo. :lmao:

You've got to get your wife a voice recognition iPhone5 version iPhone. Saves on the thumb arthritis and those typo errors. I love mine. :)

gozagswoohoo
05-26-2013, 04:49 AM
I hadn't heard about your surgery! Glad it went well!

Reborn
05-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Welcome back Spy. Your souccessful surgery and speedy recovery is the best news this Spring so far.