PDA

View Full Version : Josh Perkins transferring to Huntington Prep for senior season

MontanaZag
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwire-national-blog/uArADdvOaES7xGlBLIEZPw/top-colorado-hoops-prospect-josh-perkins-headed-to-huntington-prep.htm

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 03:49 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwire-national-blog/uArADdvOaES7xGlBLIEZPw/top-colorado-hoops-prospect-josh-perkins-headed-to-huntington-prep.htm

Raising the bar. UCLA may not be big enough. Huntington is one and done prep factory.

MontanaZag
05-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Raising the bar. UCLA may not be big enough. Huntington is one and done prep factory.

Unfortunately i agree Jazz

Zagdawg
05-24-2013, 03:56 PM
There must be something in the air tonight...for once I too agree with Jazz.

75Zag
05-24-2013, 03:58 PM
You know when you want to get in to that great new 5 star restaurant and they tell you and your wife/date that your table is not quite ready, and then they ask you if you would please wait in the bar?

Waiting at Huntington Prep is the same thing as waiting in the bar at "Chez Kentucky".

GU needs another option.

Go Bulldogs!

HenneZag
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Going to be tough to get Perkins. He will further promote himself with Huntington Prep getting all the high majors after him. If Josh doesn't commit on his visit to GU I feel like we are toast...who knows he could commit @ UCLA next weekend.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Hans Solo and I have a bad feeling about this...

Oregonzagnut
05-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Is he a MCDAA burger boy?

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Joshie, we hardly knew ye. Wheres Bronco Zag, the purported expert who said we had the inside track?

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Is he a MCDAA burger boy?

Book it. That's part of the Huntington contract.

Worthington
05-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Outside of probably Andrew Wiggins, what one and dones have they produced (I haven't researched this so there could be some, but I can't remember any)? Maybe the idea is to just challenge himself and improve his game by playing against superior competition...wouldn't go throwing in the towel yet, although UCLA does scare me...

maynard g krebs
05-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Outside of probably Andrew Wiggins, what one and dones have they produced (I haven't researched this so there could be some, but I can't remember any)? Maybe the idea is to just challenge himself and improve his game by playing against superior competition...wouldn't go throwing in the towel yet, although UCLA does scare me...

Think OJ Mayo went there, for one. Agree this seems not to bode well for GU.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Suffice to say Huntington Factory Prep is not some nice little Jebby school in Colorado. That's the point. Joshie has heard the call. Go big time or not at all. Still waiting for Bronco Zag to explain all this to us.

Worthington
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Think OJ Mayo went there, for one. Agree this seems not to bode well for GU.

This Huntington Prep was founded in 2009, apparently there's no connection between it and OJ Mayo's old school.

BroncoZAG615
05-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Yeah it doesn't take much deduction to realize this is very bad for Gonzaga. The staff has done a great job of recruiting Perkins but all the new high major interest is having an impact.

We will have more on all this as soon as possible but the fact is that they continue to love the staff and are visiting soon. We shall see !

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah it doesn't take much deduction to realize this is very bad for Gonzaga. The staff has done a great job of recruiting Perkins but all the new high major interest is having an impact.

We will have more on all this as soon as possible but the fact is that they continue to love the staff and are visiting soon. We shall see !

That's the best you can do? After excoriating me for saying he was a pipe dream for the Zags? You should be in politics. What happened with all your cloak and dagger info?

BroncoZAG615
05-24-2013, 08:25 PM
That's the best you can do? After excoriating me for saying he was a pipe dream for the Zags? You should be in politics. What happened with all your cloak and dagger info?

It's not cloak and dagger. You seem like a smart person - do not know why you struggle in reading comp. We have spoken with the Perkins camp several times and Gonzaga is definitely a contender. It is my opinion, Jazz, that the Zags rarely get kids that go to schools such as Findlay or Huntington.

I think there is a 50/50 chance that Perkins commits after his visits to UCLA and Gonzaga. Not sure which one it will be but I have a feeling as he seems like a kid that wants to end it early.

As a sidenote, Jazz, your antics are tired. Don't call me out and if you want to do so, send me a DM. Everything I have done and said is backed by actually speaking with the Perkins camp. If you have questions about my sources, I urge you to say so as I'm happy to explain. You've DMd me before, feel free to do so again.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
It's not cloak and dagger. You seem like a smart person - do not know why you struggle in reading comp. We have spoken with the Perkins camp several times and Gonzaga is definitely a contender. It is my opinion, Jazz, that the Zags rarely get kids that go to schools such as Findlay or Huntington.

I think there is a 50/50 chance that Perkins commits after his visits to UCLA and Gonzaga. Not sure which one it will be but I have a feeling as he seems like a kid that wants to end it early.

As a sidenote, Jazz, your antics are tired. Don't call me out and if you want to do so, send me a DM. Everything I have done and said is backed by actually speaking with the Perkins camp. If you have questions about my sources, I urge you to say so as I'm happy to explain. You've DMd me before, feel free to do so again.

Fair enough. But don't post snide remarks about me and then delete them. Ok?

BroncoZAG615
05-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Fair enough. But don't post snide remarks about me and then delete them. Ok?

A) I deleted it in 30 seconds because it had more to do with the whiskey I drank tonight than your opinion.

B) Everything I wrote and deleted are things I've said on here to you before. I think some of your views are solid but far too often you prey on the pessimist in each poster. I just don't think you have a right to with high school kids that you have never seen much less spoken to.

Zagdawg
05-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the information Bronco -- it is appreciated by the majority of the posters here.

Go Zags

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 08:47 PM
A) I deleted it in 30 seconds because it had more to do with the whiskey I drank tonight than your opinion.

B) Everything I wrote and deleted are things I've said on here to you before. I think some of your views are solid but far too often you prey on the pessimist in each poster. I just don't think you have a right to with high school kids that you have never seen much less spoken to.

Apology accepted. 😊 My views are not personal but in the context of being involved in college bb for many years. Past is always prologue. Cheers

MDABE80
05-24-2013, 08:48 PM
No reason to chew on each other's a*ses because a kid finds out he's really good. None at all. SO be nice guys..ife's short. Generate good memories..not this. Besides, he might come for a year anyway. Sounds like he's a UK level kid now. Who knows though?

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
No reason to chew on each other's a*ses because a kid finds out he's really good. None at all. SO be nice guys..ife's short. Generate good memories..not this. Besides, he might come for a year anyway. Sounds like he's a UK level kid now. Who knows though?

So you're a referee now? Who's the most famous boxing ref? Mercante, Lane, Steele, ruby Goldstein?

Malastein
05-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Perhaps he is the rare kid who will want to attend Gonzaga when all is said and done. His seeking out higher competition probably doesn't bode well, since the PAC 12 has better competition at his position than the WCC. And I'm not sure it's that close. Feeling more and more like the Zags need a new conference.

Oregonzagnut
05-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Jazz has a thick hide and probably doesn't have his feelings hurt anymore on this board, (or maybe he is a softy) but harmful snide remarks should be deleted and it is better if we do it ourselves. It is better to make it correct in the first place but it makes for a better board if we at least re-read. I've deleted and changed plenty. Plus I've been banned for NOT self policing in the right ways.

As for the OP, I bet he doesn't sign anywhere right away if he is transferring onto a team with 2-3 other McD AA's. Why do that if you have your destination picked The exposure will assuredly bring in other schools.

But the best offer he has is Gonzaga. IMHO. He should sign with us now. In my humble unbiased 100% objective opinion.

LAZAGFAN11
05-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Credit to our staff for going after these guys. We have to try in order to have a chance. Slipper Still Fits tweeted this morning that Reid Travis is visiting Gonzaga in 2 weeks . . . that is huge that our staff can even bring these guys in! And as a fan / alumnus, that is all that I can really ask for.

Regarding Josh's decision between Gonzaga and UCLA, I think it's a no-brainer (I am obviously biased and dislike UCLA basketball with a passion). But let's take a look:

1) You are going to get more national coverage as a Zag. Gonzaga is on national television more times than UCLA.

2) You will get coaching stability. Mark Few is one of the greatest coaches in the country and Gonzaga is more stable than UCLA is. We don't fire our head coach after making the Final four 3 times.

3) During the off-season, you get to work out with a Hall of Fame point guard, if not the best point guard in the world. The guys were just playing with him last week. Our NBA guys come back during the summers too.

4) While the Kennel is not Pauley Pavilion, we do pack the stands. UCLA fans have a hard time selling out and there are less students than at the Kennel.

5) If your strength is passing, since 2009 we've sent 3 bigs (including Olynyk) to the NBA. UCLA has sent 1.

6) We're closer to home (Denver) than Los Angeles is.

7) Finally, when you choose to become a Zag, you become a Zag for life. We're a close nit family. Not many schools can say that.

bartruff1
05-25-2013, 10:40 AM
If a kid can go to UCLA....that is where he will go...

jazzdelmar
05-25-2013, 12:21 PM
If a kid can go to UCLA....that is where he will go...

Reid Travis has an offer from Harvard. Doesn't that hold true for him as well, Bart?

mgadfly
05-25-2013, 01:37 PM
If I was a high ranked 16 or 17 year old trying to decide what school to spend a year or two at before jumping to the NBA I'd probably want it to be (1) a place that puts a high number of players into the NBA, (2) a place without snow (I lived in Spokane too long), (3) a place somewhere near the mountains or beach, and (4) with a coach I wanted to play for. (I may also want to go play with a friend or brother or dad or whatever)...

Criteria #1: Do they put their players into the NBA?
Kentucky (20), Duke (18), and North Carolina (17) had the most players in the NBA on opening day of this season (according to rpiratings.com). If those coaches told me they know how to get a player into the NBA and I had what it took to play for them and achieve that, I'd be signing with one of them. Regardless of whether I liked the climate, location, or whatever.

The next tier of teams includes: Kansas (14), UCLA (12), Connecticut (12), Texas (11), Florida (10), and Arizona (9). Other than UCONN, which I would eliminate because of recent events, all of those schools get seriously good marks for getting players into the NBA. It'd be hard to pass up, as an elite recruit, the opportunity to play for one of those schools.

Then you get into the teams with 5 to 8 players on rosters on opening day. These teams include squads like the UW (8), Michigan State (5), USC (5), Wake Forrest (6), Syracuse (6), Ohio State (6), Georgia Tech (7). For the most part, good teams, from the larger conferences. The exceptions are:
(1) Memphis - 5 players; and
(2) Gonzaga - 5 players

Memphis isn't really a surprise because of the level of talent they bring/brought in. Gonzaga is the best mid-major in the country at producing NBA players (at least as of the beginning of this season). That is something that should be touted. We do more with less. If you want to play in the league, do you go to the place that gets top tier talent year after year and has 3 or 4 guys in the league, or do you go to a place that rarely gets the four star guys to sign, but consistently puts players in the league?

As a side note, I can think of Daye, Turiaf, Pargo, and Sacre... Who was the fifth Zags guy they were giving us credit for?

BTB
05-25-2013, 04:08 PM
As a side note, I can think of Daye, Turiaf, Pargo, and Sacre... Who was the fifth Zags guy they were giving us credit for?

If D-league counts, Micah Downs

hooter73
05-26-2013, 12:57 PM
imo if he were to comit after his visit, all we'd be doing for the nextt year is waiting for his decommitment - to no fault of his own. He seems like a great kid buut realizing you're a one and done-er take us out of the running.

Oregonzagnut
05-26-2013, 02:24 PM
imo if he were to comit after his visit, all we'd be doing for the nextt year is waiting for his decommitment - to no fault of his own. He seems like a great kid buut realizing you're a one and done-er take us out of the running.

Theres always a first time and its going to happen. sometime.

TexasZagFan
05-27-2013, 05:20 AM
So you're a referee now? Who's the most famous boxing ref? Mercante, Lane, Steele, ruby Goldstein?

A boxing referee named "Ruby"? :eek:

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 05:38 AM
A boxing referee named "Ruby"? :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Goldstein

one of the best, if not the best........

75Zag
05-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I would like to see several more threads about Perkins. I feel as if he and I are brothers, because, by coincidence, the statistical probability that Perkins will be starting for GU in 2014 is exactly the same as the statistical probability that I will be starting for the Bulldogs in 2014, and that gives us a special bond.

We will now return you to reality based programming.

Go Bulldogs!

MDABE80
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
In the "black and white "TV days, there was the Friday Night Fights (Gillette sponsored). Me and my dad watched on our 13 inch TV. All those old guys could really hit hard. I never knew how hard untill I took my dad to the Ali-Norton fight in Vegas. Sounded like cannons going off.
Goldstein was one of the toughest ...... smaller refs trying to manage the "heavies" seemed impossible. I really liked Arthur Mercante and Steele for those fights. Gawd I'm gettin old;(

bartruff1
05-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey...now this could happen...

KStyles
05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
If D-league counts, Micah Downs

If they're counting D-League, I believe Foster was on a roster last fall as well.

jazzdelmar
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Hey...now this could happen...

Why do u say that?

bartruff1
05-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Why do u say that?

He sounds like a very bright and thoughtful young man.

If his top three are Minn. , Stanford , and Gonzaga....I think we have a outside chance.

Not much of a chance, but a chance.