PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier and Mike Hart: it's possible

gamagin
05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I've decided to separate this from the other Hart thread because I think this sports feature is arguably the best I've ever read. I think, too, that this IS Mike Hart. If MH were to have a model, it would be Shane Battier.

I believe MH will do everything in his power to become the new Shane Battier. I hope he succeeds. I believe, with his IQ, determination and focus, he has a chance. Which is all he every hoped for. Until this year.

Here's the article. It is long but an amazing tale, very well told. Enjoy !

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Bogozags
05-22-2013, 05:13 PM
That was a GREAT article on one of the best college players of all time. I was able to watch nearly all his games in college and he is fantastic. He may not score in the NBA but that is not his job as he has three others that are All-Stars on his team. MH has the same type of game and I hope he gets an opportunity to show his wares and turn heads in the process!

Bouldin4Prez
05-22-2013, 05:20 PM
You are comparing Mike Hart to one of the top 50 greatest college basketball players? We all love Mike Hart here, so why don't we appreciate what he has done for Gonzaga and let him move forward in his career while encouraging him through this exciting next step in his life. No need to make absurd comparisons.

btzag
05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
You are comparing Mike Hart to one of the top 50 greatest college basketball players? We all love Mike Hart here, so why don't we appreciate what he has done for Gonzaga and let him move forward in his career while encouraging him through this exciting next step in his life. No need to make absurd comparisons.

+1

gamagin
05-22-2013, 06:16 PM

saying it's possible ? We'll see.

I, for one, believe anything is possible. MH is that unique. How or even whether he gets a shot anywhere else does not matter.

Meantime, I appreciate it when some a$$hat stops biting his toenails and takes the precious time to speak up on behalf of everyone else about absurdity and what everyone needs to do or not. As if MH were in a nursing home instead of hoping to continue what has become a legendary career and a great sports story. I believe with MH anything is possible. He's proven that.

Meantime, Bouldin ? 4President ?

That's possible, too.

GUZag08
05-22-2013, 06:35 PM

+1

hooter73
05-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Absurd comparisons aside, Hart could *easily* be the next Jeremy Lin except he'll keep doing stuff for longer than one playoff series.

Just A Zag
05-22-2013, 09:39 PM
+1

+3

jazzdelmar
05-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Crackers comparison. Delusional fans here never fail to amaze....and scare a little.

webspinnre
05-22-2013, 10:44 PM
First, the article was absolutely wonderful. I love good sports journalism. Second, this is insane. Mike Hart is a wonderful young man, who is bright, hard-working, and I'm sure will be a wonderful success in life. However, to compare his basketball abilities to a guy who won 2 Naismith awards (HS, College), is just nuts. Battier might be just a solid NBA player, but he showed far more in the years leading up to the NBA than Hart has ever shown. And this isn't a knock on Hart, just that Battier was terrific. Does he have a chance at a solid pro career? Sure. Is it likely that he'll be a key contributor on an NBA championship team, playing heavy minutes? Boy, that really stretches the realms of plausibility.

jazzdelmar
05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Lets hope KO has a career as good as Shane much less Hart.

FrahmfortheWin
05-23-2013, 05:41 AM
I laughed at the absurb comparison comment? complaint? rant?

Sure it is definately a stretch to say Mike Hart is at the same level as Shane Battier at this very moment in time. However if I recall this is the same Mike Hart who 4 years ago was solidly an end of bench walk on and ANY comment about anything he did in a game was met with negative remark.....example pulled from a 4 year old post: "Mike Hart shouldnt be playing at all, if he is getting minutes then we are in serious trouble" We've come a long way in the last 3 years. Whos to say he cant continue his development?

So I agree that it might be a stretch on the comparison at the moment, but to put the op down for the original comment/enthusiam is what is really absurd. We all have our opinion, lets keep it respectful. I can predict the future no more than you can.

willandi
05-23-2013, 06:51 AM
I haven't watched any of the NBA playoffs, but have followed a few games on espn gamecast. I wonder how Ammo's career would have been different if he had been on a team and told that he was expected to shoot at least 20 times each game, more if he was feeling it.
So many of the high scoreres have sub .500 shooting percentages that it is hard for me to believe that they are elite shooters. They just have the green light and shoot. If Morrison had been on a team, and with a coach, that needed that, how different his carrer would have been.
Mike Hart is not Shane Battier. Neither was Dennis Rodman. But Harts game is similar to Rodman and somewhat like Battier's. Odds are he will never get a shot at the big show, but a GM that needed the hardest worker, extra rebounds most possesions and a tenacious defender could do a lot worse than Mike Hart.
Will he get the chance? Probably not, but if he did...

webspinnre
05-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I laughed at the absurb comparison comment? complaint? rant?

Sure it is definately a stretch to say Mike Hart is at the same level as Shane Battier at this very moment in time. However if I recall this is the same Mike Hart who 4 years ago was solidly an end of bench walk on and ANY comment about anything he did in a game was met with negative remark.....example pulled from a 4 year old post: "Mike Hart shouldnt be playing at all, if he is getting minutes then we are in serious trouble" We've come a long way in the last 3 years. Whos to say he cant continue his development?

So I agree that it might be a stretch on the comparison at the moment, but to put the op down for the original comment/enthusiam is what is really absurd. We all have our opinion, lets keep it respectful. I can predict the future no more than you can.

The problem isn't underestimating Mike Hart. The problem is underestimating Shane Battier and how good he is. Mike Hart was a very nice role player and sometime starter for one of the top 20 programs in the past decade. Shane Battier was a Naismith award winner and one of the top players in the history of one of the best programs in college basketball history. There's just no comparison here, and I can't believe that anyone would think there is.

deathchina
05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Adam DID have the green light his rookie year. He averaged almost 12 points a game but had the second worst field goal percentage in the entire league and one of the worst rebounding and assist rate of anyone his size. He also was widely regarded as perhaps the worst defender in the entire league...certainly bottom 5.

Yes, many scorers in the league are sub 500 shooters but Adam was a sub 375 shooter AND a huge liability on defense. It's tough to see how his career turns out differently when you really couldn't pinpoint a single strength to his game.

I haven't watched any of the NBA playoffs, but have followed a few games on espn gamecast. I wonder how Ammo's career would have been different if he had been on a team and told that he was expected to shoot at least 20 times each game, more if he was feeling it.
So many of the high scoreres have sub .500 shooting percentages that it is hard for me to believe that they are elite shooters. They just have the green light and shoot. If Morrison had been on a team, and with a coach, that needed that, how different his carrer would have been.
Mike Hart is not Shane Battier. Neither was Dennis Rodman. But Harts game is similar to Rodman and somewhat like Battier's. Odds are he will never get a shot at the big show, but a GM that needed the hardest worker, extra rebounds most possesions and a tenacious defender could do a lot worse than Mike Hart.
Will he get the chance? Probably not, but if he did...

DixieZag
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
All the OP said was that Hart has a model in Battier and made a stretch link to being the new Battier. I read the emphasis as being on modeling his game on Battiers.

At no point did he ever say that Hart was better or likely to succeed, just noting a possible model.

I would never tell Hart something was "impossible" - improbable, yeah.

God help us all, it's going to be a long summer.

229SintoZag
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
H.L. Mencken once said that no one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.

He was right. And for some reason this thread reminded me of this great observation.

gamagin
05-23-2013, 12:25 PM
All the OP said was that Hart has a model in Battier and made a stretch link to being the new Battier. I read the emphasis as being on modeling his game on Battiers.

At no point did he ever say that Hart was better or likely to succeed, just noting a possible model.

Congrats Dixie. You can read. And worse, comprehend. And worst of all you can write. A real trifecta in communications. What are you doing, here ?

A few other posters read the OP and understood, too.

I want to thank the rest of you, too, who clearly can't or won't read for content, but nonetheless, love to type and share their stream of consciousness. Like Jazz, except his is more of a drizzle.

You all have aided greatly in my effort to get many of the GUB reading-impaired together in one thread so I don't have to pm everyone to say this:

Learn to read.

Bogozags
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM

+1

CarolinaZagFan
05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
I was talking with one of my friends the other day and we were wondering if Mike (or Elias for that matter) have ever played football. Specifically TE. One thing I noticed about Mike this season is how great his hands are. He had some of the quickest and softest hands I've seen. With the new fad of undersized bball players making the switch to TE and being very successful I wonder if Mike or Elias with his size and athleticism have given this any thought? Just thinking out loud here.

Oregonzagnut
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
IMO, Mike Hart needs to do what he does best, but then just take the wide open shots he creates for himself.

Imagine Mike Hart being even more efficient with a 10 extra pts per game. If Mike will shoot confidently during the workouts he will get to showcase his athleticism and court awareness to coaches and GMs.

Mike will be a pro soon.

Bouldin4Prez
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Congrats Dixie. You can read. And worse, comprehend. And worst of all you can write. A real trifecta in communications. What are you doing, here ?

A few other posters read the OP and understood, too.

I want to thank the rest of you, too, who clearly can't or won't read for content, but nonetheless, love to type and share their stream of consciousness. Like Jazz, except his is more of a drizzle.

You all have aided greatly in my effort to get many of the GUB reading-impaired together in one thread so I don't have to pm everyone to say this:

Learn to read.

You are right, I'm a terrible communicator and have no clue how to comprehend what it is the little white things protruding from my head are reading. I also have no idea how to use grammar and properly communicate with written words. Maybe, I should take notes after you and throw in a comma after every three words or so.

My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you very much. Your statement was that Mike Hart has the possibility to become the new Shane Battier, I'm telling you that this will not happen. I wish Mike Hart the best of luck in whatever path he chooses in life and you should do the same.

Have a great day Gamagin, go outside once in a while and realize the sun is shining.

SteelZag
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I was talking with one of my friends the other day and we were wondering if Mike (or Elias for that matter) have ever played football. Specifically TE. One thing I noticed about Mike this season is how great his hands are. He had some of the quickest and softest hands I've seen. With the new fad of undersized bball players making the switch to TE and being very successful I wonder if Mike or Elias with his size and athleticism have given this any thought? Just thinking out loud here.

I've had thoughts about just the opposite. Look for a major D-1 tight end, who played hoops in high school, who new his chances of playing in the NFL weren't good. Perhaps a school is on probation or he may just be tired of playing football but is close to finishing his degree.

Does anybody know NCAA reg's on athletes changing sports and schools? Knowing the NCAA I would guess a transfer is a transfer.

Bogozags
05-24-2013, 03:00 AM
I've had thoughts about just the opposite. Look for a major D-1 tight end, who played hoops in high school, who new his chances of playing in the NFL weren't good. Perhaps a school is on probation or he may just be tired of playing football but is close to finishing his degree.

Does anybody know NCAA reg's on athletes changing sports and schools? Knowing the NCAA I would guess a transfer is a transfer.

If I'm not mistaken, NCAA entitles each athlete to play four years in any sport in a five year period; however in meech's case he was able to play three years od Bball at GU then transfer to BU and play football for two years for a total of five years. This isn't the exact wording of the "rule" but believe this is how it is supposed to work, barring medical red shirts.

KStyles
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
If I'm not mistaken, NCAA entitles each athlete to play four years in any sport in a five year period; however in meech's case he was able to play three years od Bball at GU then transfer to BU and play football for two years for a total of five years. This isn't the exact wording of the "rule" but believe this is how it is supposed to work, barring medical red shirts.

I believe Meech could only play immediately at Baylor and spend both of his last 2 of 5 years playing football because GU didn't offer football. A D-I football player transferring to GU would likely have to sit a year, unless using a grad. student exception (or hardship waiver, etc.). An example of the grad student exception: Greg Paulus played 4 at Duke, graduated and immediately quarterbacked Syracuse for a year.

maynard g krebs
05-24-2013, 03:30 PM

The OP clearly stated, "he has a chance". That is what people are disagreeing with. (Apologies for ending the last sentence with a preposition).

From time to time I agree with Jazz.

When I was in 7th grade, I started patterning my game after Billy Cunningham of the 76ers. We were both lefthanded and played the same position. The comparison ended there.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 07:10 PM
The OP clearly stated, "he has a chance". That is what people are disagreeing with. (Apologies for ending the last sentence with a preposition).

From time to time I agree with Jazz.

When I was in 7th grade, I started patterning my game after Billy Cunningham of the 76ers. We were both lefthanded and played the same position. The comparison ended there.

Billy the Kid was a contemporary back in Brooklyn, Erasmus Hall HS. Played in same era as Connie Hawkins and Roger Brown. At NC he was always listed as 6-4 and seven eights for some reason. We all were Billy fans back then.