PDA

View Full Version : Hey Birddog...

LongIslandZagFan
05-20-2013, 12:22 PM
I know your state is getting hammered today and took a beating yesterday... Give us a shout to let us know how you are doing with the crazy weather down there.

sittingon50
05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Nice thought LI. I echo the sentiments, Bird. Hope you're O.K. I have an old roomie that's a Preacher in Shawnee.

229SintoZag
05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. Those twisters look very scary.

Here is hoping Birddog--and everyone else down there is OK.

Although I would not lose sleep if an F5 or two leveled the homes of Clay Bennett and Aubrey McLendon, so long as nobody was home at the time and nobody got hurt.

(Just kidding).

(sort of....)

sittingon50
05-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I laughed out loud, Sinto.

ZagNative
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Live TV streaming from OK (http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/tornado-damage-in-oklahoma-city-watch-live)

Birddog
05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm doing well in New Mexico. I was in Santa Fe when the storms hit. The portions in OKC were about 3 miles from my home and narrowly missed a friend's home. As is usually the case, one of the storms leveled a Mobile Home Park. Those twisters always seem to go for the low hanging fruit. More up for later today, I'll keep you posted.

229SintoZag
05-20-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm doing well in New Mexico. I was in Santa Fe when the storms hit. The portions in OKC were about 3 miles from my home and narrowly missed a friend's home. As is usually the case, one of the storms leveled a Mobile Home Park. Those twisters always seem to go for the low hanging fruit. More up for later today, I'll keep you posted.

Wish I would have known. I was in Santa Fe this past weekend from Friday night until last night. Would have liked to have met you for a soda or two.

Birddog
05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Wish I would have known. I was in Santa Fe this past weekend from Friday night until last night. Would have liked to have met you for a soda or two.
Where did you stay? I was at the Santa Fe Lodge. I was down there to ride in the Santa Fe Century which was brutal because of the winds. We had dinner and a few brews at the 2nd St Brew Pub. Had lunch with Gene Hackman at Tomasita's today before heading North. Well he was at Tomasita's at the same time.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Doggie, glad to hear you're safe. Stay that way. And I concur, those OK Thunder thieves should get flattened.

LongIslandZagFan
05-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Very glad to hear you are OK. Prayers go out to those in Moore.

Bocco
05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. Those twisters look very scary.

Here is hoping Birddog--and everyone else down there is OK.

Although I would not lose sleep if an F5 or two leveled the homes of Clay Bennett and Aubrey McLendon, so long as nobody was home at the time and nobody got hurt.

(Just kidding).

(sort of....)

if Bennett's home was leveled I wouldn't mind if David Stern just happened to be there visiting

(also just kidding)

(sort of....)

(kind of....)

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Very glad to hear you are OK. Prayers go out to those in Moore.

Nice call, LIZF.

229SintoZag
05-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Where did you stay? I was at the Santa Fe Lodge. I was down there to ride in the Santa Fe Century which was brutal because of the winds. We had dinner and a few brews at the 2nd St Brew Pub. Had lunch with Gene Hackman at Tomasita's today before heading North. Well he was at Tomasita's at the same time.

I was there for a small retreat of trial lawyers from across the country--we stayed at La Posada Resort & Spa. Which actually ain't as nice a place as it sounds. It's just east of the historical core of Santa Fe, about two blocks east of the Cathedral. The most interesting aspect of that part of the trip was listening to Sen. Udall and the local Congressman talk to us at the retreat. Howard Fineman also gave a talk which was entertaining, but I found him to be a bit too much of a DC blowhard type--had to tell us about 8 war stories and it got to be a bit much. (Although one of them involving Bob Dole was absolutely priceless, I will admit).

Somehow my wife convinced me to bring both her and our two young sons along, so we stayed out of most bars. Had a good walk through some of the shops and art galleries both downtown and out on Canyon Road. Went on a drive and then on a short hike with the boys up in the mountains between town and the ski resort. I agree about the winds. Man I got tired of getting dust and detritus from the shedding cottonwoods in my face. This was our second trip there. Great town.

229SintoZag
05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
I withdraw my snarky comment about hoping that an F5 tornado hit the current Thunder owners.

As the enormity of this tragedy is unfolding, it strikes me that this is just not a subject fit for levity in any circumstance.

Thoughts and best wishes to the families of those missing, injured, or God forbid, dead.

As well as to the many more who are now homeless or without work and completely devastated, just like that, by a freak of nature within a matter of minutes.

This is no laughing matter, and I regret that I jumped the gun in proceeding as if it were.

Birddog
05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm watching this unfold on TV and it looks like the storm went almost right on the same path as '99. I saw the slab that was left of that grade school which was fortunately out of session for the day. Today there was no such good fortune. All of my family is OK by the way.

229, I remember when La Posada was first opened about 30 years ago. I actually knew the owner back then. My place was a little like yours in that it was an aging place that had seen better days. It wasn't bad, just past it's prime.

sittingon50
05-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Let's remember Ryan Spangler & family. Norman & Bridge Creek both fairly close to the action today. Hopefully one of the guys has made contact.

Just talked to my buddy in Shawnee. Sunday's damage about 4 miles away from him. Both his daughters in OKC area, fortunately both alright.

Prayers especially for the children.

Birddog
05-21-2013, 05:56 AM
From the images on TV there are some similarities to the '99 tornado. Cleaned off building slabs and trees stripped of branches, limbs and bark. In '99 it seemed like the debris was strewn about more. The images of the large piles of debris and the description of the "pancaking" seems strikingly different.
Here is a map of the major tornadoes that have hit Moore over the last several years. As you can see, they tend to track similar paths. BTW, I was wrong about this school being the same one that was hit in '99. http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/interactive-map-1999-2003-2013-moore-tornadoes/

I live about 30 miles N in a suburb of OKC and the storms up here can be violent but tend to be smaller/narrower. They mostly track 5 to 12 miles NW or 3 to 6 miles SE of where I live. That doesn't mean they won't hit where I live, but history shows me otherwise. I'm not a meteorologist but it is pretty obvious that these storms tend to track over similar paths year after year. I think Moore is a major target because the terrain is wide and flat in that area and for several miles SW of there and the storms have the opportunity to build and gain momentum. One of the biggest alleys starts in the Wichita Falls area of Texas and runs on a path right through Moore and heads NE from there.

TexasZagFan
05-21-2013, 06:08 AM
I withdraw my snarky comment about hoping that an F5 tornado hit the current Thunder owners.

As the enormity of this tragedy is unfolding, it strikes me that this is just not a subject fit for levity in any circumstance.

Thoughts and best wishes to the families of those missing, injured, or God forbid, dead.

As well as to the many more who are now homeless or without work and completely devastated, just like that, by a freak of nature within a matter of minutes.

This is no laughing matter, and I regret that I jumped the gun in proceeding as if it were.

Quit beating yourself up, Sinto.

You can turn your targeting radar to Sacramento, now that the purchase of the Kings by Seattle investors was nixed by the NBA. ;)

Birddog: be safe...prayers up for all of you up North of the Red River.

scott257
05-21-2013, 06:39 AM
The damage is devastating. I work at the FEMA Regional Office that supports Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, and New Mexico. We started deploying personnel yesterday afternoon and our Response Center here at the region has been activated around the clock. The National Guard is supporting search and rescue.

I just want to put in a plug for the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Financial donations can be made directly on their website and that is the best way to help the survivors in disasters like this. The Red Cross and Salvation Army in this region has been stressed with the explosion in West, the tornadoes that struck Granbury and Cleburne, and now this. We have more extreme weather in the forecast now.

sittingon50
05-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Great work that your organization does, Scott. Best of luck to your folks. I'm sure some of the stuff they see isn't very pleasant.

NJZag
05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear you're safe, BD.

Ways to help ...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18381508-how-to-help-oklahoma-tornado-victims?lite

How to help Oklahoma tornado victims

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/tdy-130521-oklahoma-tornado-620.photoblog600.jpg
American Red Cross
If you want to send a $10 donation to the Disaster Relief fund via text message, you can do so by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999. As in the case with other donations via mobile, the donation will show up on your wireless bill, or be deducted from your balance if you have a prepaid phone. You need to be 18 or older, or have parental permission, to donate this way. (If you change your mind, text the word STOP to 90999.)

Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is organizing disaster response units to serve hard-hit areas in central Oklahoma, including Moore, where it is sending mobile kitchens that can serve meals to 2,500 people a day, and to South Oklahoma City. In Little Axe, Okla., the organization said, the army's Central Oklahoma Area Command Disaster Service Unit was busy feeding breakfast, lunch and dinner to people, "even as one of our Salvation Army family member's home was destroyed."

Supporters can donate online via the organization's website, SalvationArmyUSA.org. You can also text the word STORM to 80888 to make a $10 donation via cellphone.

Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief
This organization says donations will "go straight to help those in need providing tree removal services, laundry services and meals to victims of disasters."
You can send checks to: BGCO, Attn: Disaster Relief, 3800 N. May Ave., Oklahoma City, OK., 73112.

Catholic Charities OK Relief
https://ccokc.ejoinme.org/?tabid=406485

gamagin
05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear you're safe, BD.

Ways to help ...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18381508-how-to-help-oklahoma-tornado-victims?lite

Catholic Charities OK Relief
https://ccokc.ejoinme.org/?tabid=406485

Catholic Charities, last time I checked, had among the lowest overhead of any large charity nationwide. Something like $.95-$.97 of every dollar goes to actually help the victims versus overhead. I imagine that may have changed with the economy, but not much, I reckon.