PDA

View Full Version : College Coaches salary list

Zag 77
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
24 Gonzaga West Coast Mark Few $1,571,847

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/interactive/article/20130403/GW0201/130403005/NCAA-2013-men-s-basketball-coaches-salaries

As we suspected, Coach Few is doing OK.

I am surprised the info shows no extra income for him from other sources.

Zagdawg
05-20-2013, 10:40 AM
They should add in a top 50 of the coaches who did not make the tourney and what they are paid-- that would be interesting to see also.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
highest paid mid major coach (sorry, just using the vernacular).

some of that is longevity, of course.

there are some vacancies above few so he may rise.

sore thumb: jay wright is stealing money from nova, imo.

BJZags
05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
sore thumb: jay wright is stealing money from nova, imo.

Maybe. At least he has a FF.

jimmy b
05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Few has a great deal imo.
no head coaching experience until / unless ? Monson takes Minnesota job.
Many think he can do no wrong and basically he's got a job for life at 1.5 mm +
What's not to like?

I know people will say he's got highest winning percentage, and he could have taken more money elsewhere, etc. I'd say: winning % because of good program and weaker league, and I don't think he would be as successful in another program. Just my opinion.

I'd also say his run as coach can be interpreted different ways, and while most would say its been very successful, I think a strong argument could be made that to coach a perennial talented and top 25 team and never advance beyond the sweet sixteen isn't so great.
All in all, I think he's got a great deal.

willandi
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
It is a good deal for Few, but what I would like to see, in these days of fiscal need, is for Coaches at state institutions to be paid less than the Governor, same with University Presidents etc.
At first the private schools would have an advantage, but when they realized that they no longer had to bid against the public schools, they would scale back also.
It would bring a little sanity back into college athletics. The money that the coaches had been paid would stay in the State budget, the money that programs brought in would support ALL the schools athletic programs, and the extra go into the state coffers. If the extra money were used to apply decent and honest accounting and work standards for state employees, the rest of the citizens would be much better off.
It's just a pipe dream, I know, but it's what I personally would like to see happen.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=jimmy b;913431]Few has a great deal imo.
What's not to like?

i agree JB. and by dint of his longevity, record and squeaky clean program he has effectively priced himself out of most programs across the country. i dont see an AD at a blue blood program offering him $2m. so, like full professors of history and biology he has lifetime tenure with almost no oversight and scrutiny. and he doesn't even have to pretend to do research. but he gets no sabbaticals, thats good or bad depending on your own POV.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 12:33 PM
It is a good deal for Few, but what I would like to see, in these days of fiscal need, is for Coaches at state institutions to be paid less than the Governor, same with University Presidents etc.
At first the private schools would have an advantage, but when they realized that they no longer had to bid against the public schools, they would scale back also.
It would bring a little sanity back into college athletics. The money that the coaches had been paid would stay in the State budget, the money that programs brought in would support ALL the schools athletic programs, and the extra go into the state coffers. If the extra money were used to apply decent and honest accounting and work standards for state employees, the rest of the citizens would be much better off.
It's just a pipe dream, I know, but it's what I personally would like to see happen.

pass the pipe, Will. BTW, college prexies do awfully well.....even the loathsome ones like Spanier and Gee.....

DADoZAG
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Few has a great deal imo.
What's not to like?

I know people will say he's got highest winning percentage, and he could have taken more money elsewhere, etc. I'd say: winning % because of good program and weaker league, and I don't think he would be as successful in another program. Just my opinion.

I'd also say his run as coach can be interpreted different ways, and while most would say its been very successful, I think a strong argument could be made that to coach a perennial talented and top 25 team and never advance beyond the sweet sixteen isn't so great.
All in all, I think he's got a great deal.

Impossible to argue with you and I'll bet Few32 would agree, he's got a great gig. No wonder he's afraid of losing in November/December even though that loss might add a win or two in March/April (just my opinion).

Best program administrator in college athletics, is thankfully still growing and improving as a men's D1 basketball coach.

Go ZAGS!

bartruff1
05-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't think Few342 is afraid ..

Zagdawg
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I wonder what would happen if Few missed the tourney a few times --like Romar ....who makes $1.3 up to $1.5 mil depending on the bonus each year.

Romar misses the dance with 2 first round NBA draft picks multiple top 30 recruiting classes and he doesn't get criticized by his fans as bad as Few does by some of our fans.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I wonder what would happen if Few missed the tourney a few times --like Romar ....who makes $1.3 up to $1.5 mil depending on the bonus each year.

Romar misses the dance with 2 first round NBA draft picks multiple top 30 recruiting classes and he doesn't get criticized by his fans as bad as Few does by some of our fans.

Always a tiresome comparison. A better one is vs randy Bennett who's underpaid at 500k.

Bob Mckillop at 380k is a scandal.

NotoriousZ
05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Always a tiresome comparison. A better one is vs randy Bennett who's underpaid at 500k.

I assume you're referring to the Few-Romar comparison. A Bennett-Romar comparison shows both notions of how Bennett is underpaid and how Romar is overpaid. A Few-Bennett comparison just shows how Randy is underpaid, while the Few-Romar comparison just shows how Lorenzo is basically stealing money from the state of Washington (UW being a public school and all).

thebigsmoove
05-20-2013, 01:29 PM
where is John Calipari on this list?

nevermind i realize this is for the schools that made the tourney

jimmy b
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Bob Mckillop at 380k is a scandal.

Comparatively speaking, sure.

But earning in excess of a thousand a day while being busy 5 months of a year in what I'd think is a fairly low stress environment at Davidson (which he gained through success), isn't a bad deal either.

DixieZag
05-20-2013, 01:40 PM
where is John Calipari on this list?

nevermind i realize this is for the schools that made the tourney

:lmao:That is one distinction but it is also for coaches of amateur athletics.

bartruff1
05-20-2013, 01:40 PM
If your purpose is to determine if a coach is worth his salary it makes perfect sense to me to campare his results over a given time period with coaches that make a comparable salary .

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Comparatively speaking, sure.

But earning in excess of a thousand a day while being busy 5 months of a year in what I'd think is a fairly low stress environment at Davidson (which he gained through success), isn't a bad deal either.

dont inject rationality into this discussion, JB. none of these guys is really worth the jillions they are getting in the big picture of whats important in our society and they all work half the year.

as do full professors and with absolutely no pressure. higher ed, per se, is the real scandal and the institution as a whole will soon collapse on its own obese weight, imo.

i knew McKillop as a h.s. coach and he is a role model for coaches everywhere imo. an incredibly classy guy. st johns whiffed on him. and isnt D-son moving up in conf affiliation. dont agree abt lack of pressure. D-son had major legacy (Driesell) -- moreson than GU before the "run" sans JS -- before McK went there.

is it hot where u are? :)

bartruff1
05-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Of course they are worth it, it is a free market. Like any free market, a price point is what someone is willing to pay at that point in time.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Of course they are worth it, it is a free market. Like any free market, a price point is what someone is willing to pay at that point in time.

I think an elementary school teacher, social worker, emergency room physician, et al. positively affects more lives than any of these coaches. But I see your point.

willandi
05-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Which goes full circle to what I said. AS STATE EMPLOYEES, the price structure should have the Governor on top, and scale down from there. That would have to be done by the legistature, but if done in every state, the states would save millions of collective dollars every year...money that could be spent elsewhere, or saved (what a concept).
Any STATE coach could choose to leave, it IS a free market afterall, but other than a handful of private schools, could probably not find gainful employment.
The private schools, realizing that $350 thou (or so) was tops for any state school, would scale back too.
Not wishing bad on the Few's etc., just wishing for a rational approach. I do realize that the horse is out of the barn, and hitched to the back of the cart.

jimmy b
05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
dont inject rationality into this discussion, JB. none of these guys is really worth the jillions they are getting in the big picture of whats important in our society and they all work half the year.

as do full professors and with absolutely no pressure. higher ed, per se, is the real scandal and the institution as a whole will soon collapse on its own obese weight, imo.

i knew McKillop as a h.s. coach and he is a role model for coaches everywhere imo. an incredibly classy guy. st johns whiffed on him. and isnt D-son moving up in conf affiliation. dont agree abt lack of pressure. D-son had major legacy (Driesell) -- moreson than GU before the "run" sans JS -- before McK went there.

is it hot where u are? :)

Good points. I'm a fan of McKillop. Good to hear my impression from TV and interviews is yours from personal experience.

Lo 70's, Sunny, slight breeze, birds chirping, dogs sleeping...

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Good points. I'm a fan of McKillop. Good to hear my impression from TV and interviews is yours from personal experience.

Lo 70's, Sunny, slight breeze, birds chirping, dogs sleeping...

Niiiiiice! Same here. Buggy a bit at the beach though.

bartruff1
05-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Will, the Governor makes about $170,000 and I am pretty sure there are more than a 1000 State Employees that make more than that...much more.. many if not most of them at UW and WSU...

DADoZAG
05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't think Few342 is afraid ..

You may very well be right, I was speaking of my opinion based solely on what I see of Few's coaching "style" and body language during the games. And, what the heck do I know? After all, I'm not a successful...

But I have to ask, and this is really why I'm responding, is the "Few342" a fat finger or is it's meaning just over my head?

Go ZAGS!

jimmy b
05-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Which goes full circle to what I said. AS STATE EMPLOYEES, the price structure should have the Governor on top, and scale down from there. That would have to be done by the legistature, but if done in every state, the states would save millions of collective dollars every year...money that could be spent elsewhere, or saved (what a concept).
Any STATE coach could choose to leave, it IS a free market afterall, but other than a handful of private schools, could probably not find gainful employment.
The private schools, realizing that $350 thou (or so) was tops for any state school, would scale back too.
Not wishing bad on the Few's etc., just wishing for a rational approach. I do realize that the horse is out of the barn, and hitched to the back of the cart.

I don't disagree with this, but it is not going to happen, unfortunately.

The escalation in salaries will hurt the game imo. There will be some blowback from the general public, fans, and the players - whom probably 90% will never earn a paycheck playing ball - all coached by millionaires who never seem to miss an opportunity (i.e. a good march or being courted) to get a raise or bolt for greener pastures (pun intended).

bartruff1
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Your right on Dado..I suspect little goes over your head...

DADoZAG
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Will, the Governor makes about $170,000 and I am pretty sure there are more than a 1000 State Employees that make more than that...much more.. many if not most of them at UW and WSU...

Tru dat...
Found Governer G in the list of 1000-1100 from the top at $164K.

Heck, the president of Bellevue Community College makes nearly twice that. This list is for wages paid in 2011, but it's a good reference.
http://data.spokesman.com/salaries/state/2012/all-employees/

Go ZAGS

Zagdawg
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Wow-- i missed my calling....I need to be a professor at the UW..... and we wonder why the state needs to raise the tuition at our public colleges.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Wow-- i missed my calling....I need to be a professor at the UW..... and we wonder why the state needs to raise the tuition at our public colleges.

Hello. Been going on for decades. A full prof at most public unis makes order of magnitude $150 to $200k a year, works six hours a week, 30 weeks a year, does an occasional book or paper, maybe mentors some grad students and holds an appointment for life much like a Supremo. Pretty good deal that surpasses most coaches'. Politics in academia are pretty dirty because the stakes are so low. To pay for this, colleges have been raising tuition for the most part irrespective of the cost of living. Sad state of affairs, IMO, and though tuitions are deeply discounted reform is necessary. Then there are their fat endowments, but don't get me started on those. The poorest managed industry in the country.

DixieZag
05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Hello. Been going on for decades. A full prof at most public unis makes order of magnitude $150 to $200k a year, works six hours a week, 30 weeks a year, does an occasional book or paper, maybe mentors some grad students and holds an appointment for life much like a Supremo. Pretty good deal that surpasses most coaches'. Politics in academia are pretty dirty because the stakes are so low. To pay for this, colleges have been raising tuition for the most part irrespective of the cost of living. Sad state of affairs, IMO, and though tuitions are deeply discounted reform is necessary. Then there are their fat endowments, but don't get me started on those. The poorest managed industry in the country.

No, it's not that bad. I agree that coaches are overpaid and should not be the highest paid employees of the state - but that is a cultural issue as much as anything. At least at the top (or GU) coaches bring in more money than any single other person.

According to wiki (I can't link - left click broken) the "average" full professor (not associate or assistant) at 4 year public research universities is in the low 90K. And that is averaged in with professions where people could make far more outside the education area - law, medicine, engineering with come with salaries in the 110-140K range.

The average full professor for things like English and history is right around $80k, presumably b/c there are fewer competitive outside opportunities. The article also mentions how few actually reach full professor status - that is highly competitive dog eat dog for the ones that do, in the sciences mostly- bring in a lot of research grant money, which is actually how most of them "earn" the full status.

If I were looking at places that the system is way off balance in terms of cost to students, I would be far more inclined to look at administration cost in salaries. There are a ton of cushy jobs in those administration buildings.

Anyway, the cost of public and private education is a huge problem and one that it is outgrowing the good investment it has previously been. People have actively talked about an "education" bubble that is ready to burst.

I really doubt that there is any question that Few has brought in many more millions than they pay him and he is simply earning the current market rate.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
No way Dixie I'm talking unis not aggie schools and two year schools. The below is two yrs old.

The average salary for a UC Berkeley professor is $149,100 which puts the university at 13th place in a recently published ranking of the highest paying colleges in America.

Harvard University professors are the top-earning educators in the country, garnering an average annual salary of $193,800, according to the report by American Association of University Professors.

While the sums involved may seem relatively healthy, the report concludes that compensation levels at U.S. universities are stagnating, and that the outlook generally on the financial front is bleak. “Although the worst recession since the Great Depression is now technically over, our analysis of faculty compensation and forecasts for state revenues indicates that the negative impact on higher education will continue for years in many states,” it states.

The survey cuts the data in a multitude of ways, analyzing how factors such as tenure, gender, and experience affect compensation levels.

It also asks who, outside the professoriate, should care what happens to faculty salaries and benefits during a recession. The report’s answer: “Everyone who hopes to be employed in the future, bring home a paycheck, and have something left over to put into savings should care. In the second decade of the 21st century, we live our lives in a global knowledge economy.”

Read the full report here.

Oregonzagnut
05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Is Calipari curiously omitted from list?

jazzdelmar
05-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Circa 2013

The average salary of a full professor at the UW’s Seattle campus is $124,254 for the current academic year. That would rank the university 48th among 442 public four-year colleges – a little higher than the University of Massachusetts-Boston, a little lower than Arizona State University.

DixieZag
05-20-2013, 06:36 PM
The report that I referenced was from 4 year public universities, as I said, no 2 year schools. You referenced some of the absolute top schools, probably reflecting the top 5% of the profession.
You also quoted 150 to 200 as average.

I am out of this one.

KStyles
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Came across this today and thought it was somewhat relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/DKEhS7o.png

Based on data drawn from media reports and state salary databases, the ranks of the highest-paid active public employees include 27 football coaches, 13 basketball coaches, one hockey coach, and 10 dorks who aren't even in charge of a team.

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228

willandi
05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.krem.com/news/Footballbasketball-coaches-best-paid-in-state-208567121.html:link:

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- Football and basketball coaches are the top-paid state employees in Washington. University of Washington coach Steve Sarkisian earned $2.7 million last year, followed by Washington State University coach Mike Leach at $2.3 million.

The Office of Financial Management recently released the state employee salary list. Third on the list is UW basketball coach Lorenzo Romar at $1.35 million, and fourth is WSU coach Ken Bone at $855,000.

The Olympian reports coaches are paid from athletic department revenue, such as ticket sales and television rights, not taxpayer funds.

Someone other than a coach is fifth -- Washington State University President Elson Floyd at $625,000, and sixth is UW president Michael Young at $563,000.

A total of 68 state employees earned more than $300,000. Most of them are in higher education.

Oregonzagnut
05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Came across this today and thought it was somewhat relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/DKEhS7o.png

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228

Nevada, the real silicon capital of the world.