PDA

View Full Version : Kelly at NBA Draft COmbine

ID ZAGFAN
05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Looks like Kelly is doing well at the combine.

Twitter:

Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 3h
Still think Kelly Olynyk can be a top-10 pick. He should thrive in the combine setting and Cody Zeller not participating could help him.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 3h
Sounds like Kelly Olynyk has been very impressive at the #NBACombine today. @NBAGuru says you can count his missed shots on one hand...

NBA Guru ‏@NBAGuru 4h
Kelly Olynyk really impressive. Can probably count on one hand how many jumpers he's missed. #NBACombine

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af74FQgFBbQ&feature=youtube_gdata

ZaGranny

hooter73
05-16-2013, 01:18 PM
ohhhh boy if there was ever one guy who was prepped for this, Ive learned its KO.

MickMick
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
This is where he zooms up the charts.

Was predicted here a couple months ago.

If Austin Daye impressed with personal workouts, Olynyk will blow their socks off.

jazzdelmar
05-16-2013, 02:43 PM
And only 26 minutes per game.

ZagNative
05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Another interview today (http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/nba-combine-gonzaga-f-kelly-olynyk).

Notes that he's already interviewed with Dallas, Charlotte, Brooklyn, and Washington.

Oregonzagnut
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
IMO, he'll be a lottery pick in part because he has huge upside as a 7 ft forward with decent post moves and a decent 3 pt shot. He could easily go top 10 if the right team wins the lottery. I've heard Portland, Celtics and Utah have reasons to take him as their first picks.

But the real clincher will be how he performs in camps and work-outs. He may still rise top 10 or better.

Centers Alex Len and Cody Zeller could get drafted before Kelly but if Kelly outperforms either of these guys he could rise into the top ten.

gamagin
05-16-2013, 02:55 PM
in those legs. WOW

Oregonzagnut
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Another interview today (http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/nba-combine-gonzaga-f-kelly-olynyk).

Notes that he's already interviewed with Dallas, Charlotte, Brooklyn, and Washington.

Dallas would be fun. I like Cuban for some reason. Plus I don't want to see any Zag in Charlotte. Ever.

thespywhozaggedme
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
IMO, he'll be a lottery pick in part because he has huge upside as a 7 ft forward with decent post moves and a decent 3 pt shot. He could easily go top 10 if the right team wins the lottery. I've heard Portland, Celtics and Utah have reasons to take him as their first picks.

But the real clincher will be how he performs in camps and work-outs. He may still rise top 10 or better.

Centers Alex Len and Cody Zeller could get drafted before Kelly but if Kelly outperforms either of these guys he could rise into the top ten.

Utah's set for years at the pf and c spot wirh Favors and Kanter. They're a stone cold lock for a pg. I bet OKC nabs him at 11 with Toronto's pick, if he's still there. He seems like a Sam Presti kind of guy.

ZagLawGrad
05-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Good luck, KO.

Birddog
05-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I bet OKC nabs him at 11 with Toronto's pick, if he's still there. He seems like a Sam Presti kind of guy.
Shhhhhhh,. I think the pick they got from Toronto will be 12. They really do need a big man who can score and rebound at the NBA level NOW. It remains to be seen if Kelly is that guy but I've been predicting it to some of my friends for awhile now, probably wishful thinking though.

Malastein
05-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Shhhhhhh,. I think the pick they got from Toronto will be 12. They really do need a big man who can score and rebound at the NBA level NOW. It remains to be seen if Kelly is that guy but I've been predicting it to some of my friends for awhile now, probably wishful thinking though.

He'd be solid in OKC. I'm not sure that's the best fit as far as playing style goes. In my opinion, he'd be best suited to playing with a team like Houston.

AzZag
05-16-2013, 10:27 PM
http://nbadraft.net/forum/2013-nba-combine-measurements

His wingspan is oddly small for a guy so big.

Malastein
05-17-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm not surprised by his shorter arm length and reach. Explains a by about why he sometimes struggles with turnovers and why he isn't a major shot blocker.

ZagNative
05-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Been watching Kelly a lot this morning on ESPNU Comcast 621.

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Kelly Olynyk clearly the most skilled big man here. Looks like a guard with his handle and jumper. Measured just 6-10 wingspan vs 7-0 height

ZagNative
05-17-2013, 07:07 AM
standing vertical leap coming up...

U Zig, I Zag
05-17-2013, 07:19 AM
As much as the exit in 2013 stings, KO can help fix some of those feelings and change the legacy a bit. Zags NEED an NBA impact player. We got guys in the league, certainly - but we need a top 3rd tier player. Someone that starts and makes an impact.

It helps recruiting if KO can make a solid mark in the league.

Oregonzagnut
05-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Brandon Paul at 6'3" has a wider wingspan.

Only one player (Gobert) is truly 7 foot with shoes off. His wingspan is 7' 8.75" with a reach of 9' 7". He is 5" short of touching the rim.

23dpg
05-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Kelly Olynyk.

24.5" standing vert.
29.5" max vert.
3.59 sec sprint.
11.42 lane agility.

ID ZAGFAN
05-17-2013, 08:43 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2013/05/17/kelly_olynyk_carries_rare_skill_set_to_nba_draft.h tml

Kelly Olynyk carries rare skill set to NBA draft
Seven-footer Kelly Olynyk of Kamloops is seen as a late-lottery pick in next month’s NBA draft.

Rob Ford in 'crack cocaine' video scandal

Senator Mike Duffy resigns from Conservative caucus

‘Kai the hitchhiker’ charged with homicide
Sports / Basketball
Kelly Olynyk carries rare skill set to NBA draft
Seven-footer Kelly Olynyk of Kamloops is seen as a late-lottery pick in next month’s NBA draft.
Text size:IncreaseDecreaseResetShare via EmailPrint Report an Error
Save to Mystar

RICK BOWMER / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk, a likely lottery pick in the NBA draft next month, is the son of long-time U of T head coach Ken Olynyk.

By: Doug Smith Sports Reporter, Published on Fri May 17 2013
EXPLORE THIS STORY
1 PHOTO
Save to Mystar

Republish
CHICAGO—Basketball is evolving at precisely the right time for Kelly Olynyk, skills he worked on as a lad are now separating him from others as a young man, the versatility he developed years ago standing him in good stead for the future.
As he and every other NBA draft eligible big man went through their paces when the league’s draft combine began here Thursday, Olynyk’s multi-faceted skill set shone through.
At 7 feet, he didn’t look out of place at all during rebounding drills and agility exercises, but when it came time to step out and shoot jump shots, the difference between he and the others was pronounced.
It’s as if he and his dad knew years ago that the game would begin putting a premium on being able to do all sorts of different things.
“I grew six, seven inches in junior year of high school so I played guard my whole life growing up. So I think there’s where I got my skill set from,” he said. “My dad (Ken, the long-time head coach at the University of Toronto) coached me when I was little and always tried to force me into playing on the perimeter and get that skill set.
“To be able to handle the ball and see the floor, shoot the ball and that kind of carried through.”
And it could carry Olynyk to the NBA next season.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

SteelZag
05-17-2013, 09:05 AM

In today's coverage at the combine, they showed a T-rex from a Chicago museum and mentioned Kelly's wingspan

webspinnre
05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
In today's coverage at the combine, they showed a T-rex from a Chicago museum and mentioned Kelly's wingspan

Hah! Now that's funny. :cheers:

MontanaZag
05-17-2013, 10:14 AM
This is reminding me of the first round of the NFL draft. Short arms was an excessively hot topic in the first round.

Oregonzagnut
05-17-2013, 10:30 AM
He can't be accused of being a knuckle dragger. :eek:

My apologies if that term is not politically correct.

Unbiased
05-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Cody Zeller's height is listed as the same as Olynyk - 6'10.75 - Zeller's wingspan is listed as 7' 0.15." - Kelly's at 6.9.75"

Yet Kelly's reach is listed at 9.0' and Zeller's at 8'10".

That doesn't make much sense. I guess Zeller's body is 2" wider - yet he weighs 4 pounds less. Very odd.

75Zag
05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
We are rooting for KO to go high in the draft. Selfishly we are not too excited about the predictions he goes to Philly as an 11 pick, but if it happens, good for him. We won't see much of him except when Philly plays the Blazers, but whatever.

Having ANY GU player become an impact player in the NBA would be terrific. John Stockton was our first - and I would argue only - impact player in the NBA so far, and we need another!

Go KO.

Go Bulldogs!

stretch
05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Cody Zeller's height is listed as the same as Olynyk - 6'10.75 - Zeller's wingspan is listed as 7' 0.15." - Kelly's at 6.9.75"

That doesn't make much sense. I guess Zeller's body is 2" wider - yet he weighs 4 pounds less. Very odd.

I would add that Zeller has an uber long neck so that his reach starts closer to the floor than KO.

cjm720
05-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Long fingers?

stretch
05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Long fingers?

That is measured too at the combine. Both suspects have 8.5 inch long hands.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2013&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

23dpg
05-17-2013, 02:20 PM
in those legs. WOW

I think he measured out with the worst vertical leap of anyone at the combine.

If yesterday was a better than expected day, today was a little worse than expected.

mgadfly
05-17-2013, 03:32 PM
The body fat measurement is always surprising to me. Who is fatter? 263 lbs Colton Iverson or 179 lbs Seth Curry. I wish I knew how to post a comparison picture...

Trick question, they both measured at 9.6% body fat, good enough to tie for 4th fattiest of the ones listed on draftExpress.

upan8th
05-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Take the money & run Kelly. Or prove me wrong about your NBA potential. Whichever, (& I'm hoping to be proved wrong about you once again) thanks for representing GU so well in your pre NBA media releases in which you've been so intelligent, thoughtful, considerate, grateful and humble.

The current fan base would, without a qualm, sell its soul to 'hire' "premium players", regardless of character flaws and academic shortcomings, to replace you, desperately trying to stay perched atop the rankings to which you, and your teammates, carried the program.

Hope you can provide what current NBA brawlball so regrettably lacks: Skill. Skilled shooters. Skilled passers. IE total players. OBTW, Larry Bird's SVJ wasn't much over 24". He did okay.

rijman
05-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Plus I don't want to see any Zag in Charlotte. Ever.
+1

MTZag03
05-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Math hijacking of post:

I went bananas on kinematic equations comparing mass, velocities, and vertical leaps.

So Kelly Olynyk has a vertical leap of 24.5 inches (.6223m). To reach this height he would be leaving the ground at 3.49 m/s. With his mass of 108 kg, this yields a kinetic energy of Kelly at the moment his feet leave the ground of 659 Joules.

Of course this is meaningless unless you put it into perspective. Look at Dwight Howard - same height, 40 extra pounds, and a 39.5 inch vertical (1m). Using the equations his initial velocity would be 4.43 m/s, mass of 127.6 kg yielding a kinetic energy of 1252 Joules.

That's a large disparity. I don't know what any of this means other than Dwight Howard can really accelerate his body and hence has a lot more muscle power. I remember during the season people saying KO was not athletic. I don't buy it overall, but looking only at vertical he can only generate slightly more than half the energy of essentially the most athletic person in the league at an equivalent position.

Equations used:

0=v^2 -19.62(d) where d is your vertical leap in meters
This comes from Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad where a is earth's gravities acceleration, Vf is final velocity at the top of your jump...that is 0, and d is vertical leap in meters.

KE=(.5)mv^2 where m is mass in kg, and v is your initial velocity calculated earlier.

So KE=(.5)(m)(19.62d). It's easy to calculate your own or any guy in the combine if you convert to metric. I did 505 Joules. Can anyone beat that?

Malastein
05-18-2013, 08:01 PM
If you've seen Dwight Howard this past season, you wouldn't say he had a vertical nearly that high.

A to Zags
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Math hijacking of post:

I went bananas on kinematic equations comparing mass, velocities, and vertical leaps.

So Kelly Olynyk has a vertical leap of 24.5 inches (.6223m). To reach this height he would be leaving the ground at 3.49 m/s. With his mass of 108 kg, this yields a kinetic energy of Kelly at the moment his feet leave the ground of 659 Joules.

Of course this is meaningless unless you put it into perspective. Look at Dwight Howard - same height, 40 extra pounds, and a 39.5 inch vertical (1m). Using the equations his initial velocity would be 4.43 m/s, mass of 127.6 kg yielding a kinetic energy of 1252 Joules.

That's a large disparity. I don't know what any of this means other than Dwight Howard can really accelerate his body and hence has a lot more muscle power. I remember during the season people saying KO was not athletic. I don't buy it overall, but looking only at vertical he can only generate slightly more than half the energy of essentially the most athletic person in the league at an equivalent position.

Equations used:

This comes from Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad where a is earth's gravities acceleration, Vf is final velocity at the top of your jump...that is 0, and d is vertical leap in meters.

KE=(.5)mv^2 where m is mass in kg, and v is your initial velocity calculated earlier.

So KE=(.5)(m)(19.62d). It's easy to calculate your own or any guy in the combine if you convert to metric. I did 505 Joules. Can anyone beat that?
You lost me very early in this discussion. I don't know if I can beat that as I more familiar with my jewels than your joules.

LongIslandZagFan
05-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Math hijacking of post:

Equations used:

Huh?? What??? Whew.. nodded off there a minute. ;)

duper
05-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Could possibly be a difference in range of motion in their shoulders.

Oregonzagnut
05-19-2013, 10:05 AM
looking only at vertical he can only generate slightly more than half the energy of essentially the most athletic person in the league at an equivalent position.

Was Dwight Howards vertical 39.5" at his combine or what he jumps now? I think we all know that Kelly was not exceptionally strong or athletic, but his size, moves, personality and IQ set him apart in a huge way. Kelly needs 5-6 more inches in vert. That leg strength and ability translates to burst speed in defense and offense too.

There are a lot of centers who have better stats at the combine this year. But NBA GM's also look at coachability, attitude, potential, maturity and above all, marketability. The #1 pick for any team is going to be a super star and also be under the microscope for a year. But in the end what matters is that he is set for life and since he has his head on straight he will impress the NBA GM's with his intelligence, size, maturity and upside.

Kelly has huge upside IMO. But then so does Zeller and Plumlee. Kelly could go lower than we think if GM's focus on combine stats.

KStyles
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Was Dwight Howards vertical 39.5" at his combine or what he jumps now?

Kelly had a 24.5" No Step Vertical at this years combine, Dwight Howard had a 30.5" No Step Vertical at the 2004 Combine

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kelly-Olynyk-19790/

Zagdog71
05-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Longest hair at the combine.

MTZag03
05-19-2013, 12:40 PM
My mistake on the vertical. I just went off of what I found on the interwebs without much research. Mainly I just wanted an excuse to run some equations. I love that stuff. Kinematics are pretty much the best. It was just an attempt to quantify differences.

I agree with what was said above regarding KO having tons of upside through his IQ, skills, etc. I think he'll be an impact player.

ZaginLaw
05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
These measurements help explain a mid season post of mine where our 7 footers have the best lay-ins, not dunks. The difference between R32 and the FF is inches, not feet. In this case, it's literally inches.

I wish the best for KO. He deserves a chance to achieve his dreams now and beyond his bball career.

FuManShoes
05-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Curious what some of you guys consider the definition of "upside." When scouts talk about upside, seems it's usually done in describing a "good athlete who has potential to learn how to play the game" rather than a "skilled player who has potential to become a better athlete."

I think most would agree Kelly is one of the most skilled/talented bigs in this draft class. I wouldn't say he has great "upside" because he doesn't have a ton of holes in his game to begin with. He can maybe become a more physical presence and a slightly better rebounder through technique, and cut down on turnovers, but hard to see him becoming a leaper or shot blocker when his body isn't suited for it.

MTZag03
05-20-2013, 12:01 PM
I would argue his upside has a lot to do with him finally getting comfortable in his body. He was scrawny and had limited post moves when he got to GU. He is a completely different animal now...much bigger, and has potential to gain more athleticism, agility, strength, etc.

KStyles
05-20-2013, 12:04 PM
May have dropped a bit on most draft boards, due to an impressive showing from Steven Adams, according to Chad Ford.

Five other players, New Zealand's Steven Adams, Michigan's Tim Hardaway Jr., Miami's Shane Larkin, New Mexico's Tony Snell and North Carolina's C.J. Leslie, also really helped themselves over the past few days.

Adams' name was especially hot all weekend. His size, athletic ability, defensive skills, soft shooting touch around the basket and excellent interviews all positioned him to move into the lottery from the mid-first round. His rise parallels, to a large degree, what Illinois' Meyers Leonard did last year at the combine. All year, teams feared that Adams didn't have the skill or the mental makeup to be a lottery pick. By Friday, virtually every executive in the NBA was predicting Adams would go somewhere between No. 9 and No. 14 and that he had moved ahead of Kelly Olynyk and Gorgui Dieng on their draft boards.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9294289/2013-nba-draft-combine-sees-steven-adams-tim-hardaway-jr-impress-nerlens-noel-top-pick

ZagNative
05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
From Draft Express;
NBA Combine Storylines, Part Two - Who Stood Out, and Who Didn't
Kelly Olynyk – Olynyk was one of the more highly regarded prospects to elect to participate in all basketball activities, and it wasn't difficult to tell why when watching him in the drills. Olynyk is one of the most skilled players in this draft class, looking capable of doing a little bit of everything on the floor. He's an excellent ball-handler for his size, capable of making shots with his feet set or off the dribble, is extremely rangy and unpredictable with his moves, and also proved to be a fairly adept passer. Olynyk measured a poor wingspan and didn't test very well athletically, but there are few big men in this draft with his fluidity and versatility.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2Trg2Wt2w
http://www.draftexpress.com

maynard g krebs
05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
I would argue his upside has a lot to do with him finally getting comfortable in his body. He was scrawny and had limited post moves when he got to GU. He is a completely different animal now...much bigger, and has potential to gain more athleticism, agility, strength, etc.

Agree. His late growth makes him more like a 19 year old than 22. Sort of like his first 3 yrs at GU were the equivalent of HS, and he was a one and done freshman last yr. I thought he moved a lot better by March last year than he did in November, and will continue to improve.

DADoZAG
05-20-2013, 12:36 PM

Agree. His late growth makes him more like a 19 year old than 22. Sort of like his first 3 yrs at GU were the equivalent of HS, and he was a one and done freshman last yr. I thought he moved a lot better by March last year than he did in November, and will continue to improve.

Agreed guys. But will the NBA see it that way?

Good Luck #13.

Go ZAGS!

ZagNative
05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
From twitter:
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Last year I was in a small gym packed w/NBA execs when the athletic testing results came out. Not a single person gave a damn about them...

KStyles
05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Couple of quotes from one scout at the combine.

"I like his development curve that he's shown so far," said an NBA scout who asked to remain anonymous. "He came into school as kind of gawky and awkward. He's still not the most fluid athlete. But he plays with good passion and he really can shoot."

"I was very impressed by his face-up shooting touch that extends beyond the NBA three-point range," the scout said. "He didn't take a ton of threes [at Gonzaga] but definitely has the range."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20130521_Gonzaga_s_7-foot_Olynyk_could_interest_Sixers.html